Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
d13phe
03 Dec 09 21:25
| Topic/replies: 22,897 | Blogger: d13phe's blog
Team Result Margin Toss Bat Opposition Ground Start Date
India draw - won 1st v Pakistan Bangalore 8 Dec 2007
India lost 337 runs lost 2nd v Australia Melbourne 26 Dec 2007
India lost 122 runs lost 2nd v Australia Sydney 2 Jan 2008
India won 72 runs won 1st v Australia Perth 16 Jan 2008
India draw - won 1st v Australia Adelaide 24 Jan 2008
India draw - lost 2nd v South Africa Chennai 26 Mar 2008
India lost inns & 90 runs won 1st v South Africa Ahmedabad 3 Apr 2008
India won 8 wickets lost 2nd v South Africa Kanpur 11 Apr 2008
India lost inns & 239 runs lost 2nd v Sri Lanka Colombo (SSC) 23 Jul 2008
India won 170 runs won 1st v Sri Lanka Galle 31 Jul 2008
India lost 8 wickets won 1st v Sri Lanka Colombo (PSS) 8 Aug 2008
India draw - lost 2nd v Australia Bangalore 9 Oct 2008
India won 320 runs won 1st v Australia Mohali 17 Oct 2008
India draw - won 1st v Australia Delhi 29 Oct 2008
India won 172 runs won 1st v Australia Nagpur 6 Nov 2008
India won 6 wickets lost 2nd v England Chennai 11 Dec 2008
India draw - won 1st v England Mohali 19 Dec 2008
India won 10 wickets won 2nd v New Zealand Hamilton 18 Mar 2009
India draw - lost 2nd v New Zealand Napier 26 Mar 2009
India draw - lost 1st v New Zealand Wellington 3 Apr 2009
India draw - won 1st v Sri Lanka Ahmedabad 16 Nov 2009
India won inns & 144 runs won 1st v Sri Lanka Kanpur 24 Nov 2009

india over the past 2 years - played 22 games, won 8, drawn 9, lost 5

Away form : 10 games, won 3, drawn 3, lost 4

Hardly number 1 in the world form???
Pause Switch to Standard View India to go number 1 in the test...
Show More
Report Lori December 3, 2009 9:29 PM GMT
unbeaten in 11 straight matches against four different nations.

The rest maybe not spectacular as we're used to Australia-esque type runs, but they seem to have at least a decent argument for it.
Report d13phe December 3, 2009 9:31 PM GMT
8 of those games were at home lori

and the other 3 were against NZ
Report michael knight December 3, 2009 9:39 PM GMT
Oh no, what have you done? BJ and his smilies will be here in no time.
Report smeagors December 3, 2009 9:56 PM GMT
:)
Report brentford December 3, 2009 9:56 PM GMT
:0
Report brentford December 3, 2009 9:57 PM GMT
a reflection of how little there is between the best sides currently and to an extent all the sides...

been rare for top level cricket
Report d13phe December 3, 2009 10:00 PM GMT
would be a great chance to get a proper test world series going imo
Report bigjoe December 4, 2009 7:55 AM GMT
d13phe 03 Dec 22:25

Hardly number 1 in the world form???

You can get to no1 in 2 ways... either cos your better then the rest :0 ... or cos the rest are worse then you ;)

If injuns win this series against lanka.. then it would mean that in most recent series against the 8 other test teams..injuns will hold 7 of the 8 bi-lateral trophies... and share one ;)

This would indicate that the others are worse then india.. thats good enough to justufy them getting to no1 i reckon ;)
Report Smalltime Punter December 4, 2009 8:01 AM GMT
You can get to no1 in 2 ways... either cos your better then the rest ... or cos the rest are worse then you

Spot on in my opinion - India certainly haven't been all-conquering over the last couple of years, but they haven't lost much and nobody else has made a better case.

South Africa are the only real rivals at the moment, and I guess may well reclaim top spot (and would deserve it) if they win the series against Eng.

As for the others - Aus have lost to India, SA and Eng recently, SL and Eng haven't beaten anyone away from home (and Eng haven't been great at home either), Pak haven't played and NZ and WI are nowhere.
Report bigjoe December 4, 2009 8:14 AM GMT
also Sp .. test cricket is also about not losing.. sometimes its a special effort to draw games that seems lost..india batted out 5 sessions on facing a 300+ run defecit against murali/ mendis.... they drew from other big defecit in other games.... i suggest this ability to draw games where others would have folded like a pack of cards makes india deserving of the tag of best side in the world ;)

Fact is though... there are some la misrables on here that will ALWAYS be churlish and , dare i say, blinkered ;) .... as far as giving ANY credit to the injuns :(

They wont change their la miserableness..or churlishness.... thats the way they are..i am happy to let them stew in their misreableness.. churlishness.. and bitterness .. and IF india do reach No1.. i will be celebrating the feat in style .... celebrating with the knowledge that my joy and elation is matched by the frustration and the misrableness of some others who are still hoping against hope... praying for a miracle that injuns do not get to no1 :D
Report Smalltime Punter December 4, 2009 8:35 AM GMT
No churlishness from me Joe (and I know you weren't accusing me of it) - if India reach no.1 then it will be well-deserved, although as I say, I think it could probably revert back to SA if they beat England.

The rankings system has its detractors and I would certainly agree that it can only provide an indication of recent form rather than a definitive world order, but it remains a pretty good guide.

For instance, assuming that India go on to win this match, I would imagine that it will show Ind and SA pretty close at the top, then a small gap to Aus and SL, then a bit more of a gap to Eng, then a pretty big gap down to Pak, NZ and WI.

Which I think most would agree is pretty much how things stand at the moment (with the caveat that Pak's low ranking is largely due to them not having played much, rather than having played badly).

When do India next play South Africa? I think that whoever wins that series will have a pretty clear case for calling themselves number 1 (especially if it's the away side).
Report bigjoe December 4, 2009 9:00 AM GMT
your right SP.. i was not counting you as one of the las miserables :)

I think India play saffers away at the end of 2010 :)

They play bangladesh next then no more tests till the saffers series :( .. so good chance that IF they do win this match and go No1.. it may only be a fleeting visit to the summit till they play again .. but having said that...i for one am not writing off england against saffers :0

In my article at the other place i stated that in next couple of years i expected England to make giant strides up the rankings in both formats .. apart from Injuns and Sri Lanka.. i feel they got the best balance side going into the next decade :)
Report smeagors December 4, 2009 9:05 AM GMT
beej .. will u be starting an anglo-saxon domination thread perchance ??
Report bigjoe December 4, 2009 10:29 AM GMT
i could do smeagors ..if i thought they were going to dominate :( .. but what i said was that injuns and lanka would be top 2 dogs ....and that it would not be saffers that were best of the rest.. it would be england :0

So i might be happy to start a " Anglo saxon best of the rest" thread.. but domination would be pushing it i reckon :(
Report nairda December 4, 2009 11:03 AM GMT
how games in a row does Australia need to take back No1 spot?
Report michael knight December 4, 2009 4:59 PM GMT
Honestly, does anyone really care about the ICC rankings anyway?

I mean SL at number two? ffs they have not even won a single test match in SA, Aus or India in their entire test playing history. I dont think they even have an away series win against the Windies.

Tells you all you need to know about the test rating system.

No doubt India are up there with the best right now but I dont see how we can differentiate between India and SA & Aus.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com