Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
tai671
04 Dec 09 03:14
| Topic/replies: 569 | Blogger: tai671's blog
All action at the start of the day. Can't believe Dravid got away with one of the most blatant edges to slip ever. :0
Pause Switch to Standard View ******India vs Sri Lanka 3rd Test day...
Show More
Report foolds gold December 4, 2009 9:12 AM GMT
yes, and him batting at that speed gives them much breathing space. I agree they could score faster but just no need. 2 full days left.
Report peter64 December 4, 2009 9:12 AM GMT
wonder what ojhas doing there hand down the front of his pants rav says hesw fiddling with something
Report Ernesto December 4, 2009 9:19 AM GMT
^^^

They've just said the helmet's being brought out. It could be that.
Report 4-4 December 4, 2009 9:20 AM GMT
no steptoes yard, I back @ 1.65
Report foolds gold December 4, 2009 9:20 AM GMT
lol 4-4 great aftertiming
Report foolds gold December 4, 2009 9:26 AM GMT
as a spectator, if u got hit and injued by a cricket ball, could u claim compensation ?
Report timbo86 December 4, 2009 9:26 AM GMT
declaration immenient it would appear indians all in whites now ready to take to the field hurrah!!!!
Report STEPTOES YARD December 4, 2009 9:26 AM GMT
Would be anyway timbo being 9 down
Report fairweather December 4, 2009 9:28 AM GMT
Just had a decet lump on the draw - pretty clear that India are quite happy with the draw and by the time SL bat they'll know theyre only realistically playing for the draw - i can see both teams playing slow, boring cricket all day tomorrow.

10/3 that SL can bat 5 sessions on this track, given the way the match is going, looks good value to me.
Report Ernesto December 4, 2009 9:28 AM GMT
Think he'll want the double whammy of 700 up and 300 lead. Big over coming up
Report in hell December 4, 2009 9:29 AM GMT
wont dhoni want his ton also being quite close
Report foolds gold December 4, 2009 9:29 AM GMT
india will wil this by lunch day 5. sri lanka are demoralised
Report mvuemba December 4, 2009 9:29 AM GMT
Dhoni just making sure Lanka dont have enough time to post a lead and bowl India out.
Now that they cant lose, i would be amazed if they didn't try to win!
Report fairweather December 4, 2009 9:31 AM GMT
Dhonut still not taking singles, not the action of a man about to declare at the end of the over imo.
Report foolds gold December 4, 2009 9:32 AM GMT
hes not taking singles cos doesnt wanna expose
Report foolds gold December 4, 2009 9:33 AM GMT
dont think he will declare soon
Report STEPTOES YARD December 4, 2009 9:34 AM GMT
Fancies a ton here
Report michael knight December 4, 2009 9:34 AM GMT
Assume Dhoni wants his 100 now
Report Smalltime Punter December 4, 2009 9:35 AM GMT
Surely he declares now - got to get them in tonight??
Report STEPTOES YARD December 4, 2009 9:36 AM GMT
If at this stage he can keep hitting sixes they might as well bat on

If they thnk they are going to need 2 days then they are going to have to bat again anyway
Report fairweather December 4, 2009 9:36 AM GMT
prob put SL in for 2 or 3 overs at that rate.

only 9 left now, according to cricinfo, take off 2 for the change of innings...another 18 Dhoni runs should take another 3 or 4 overs?
I dont think either side are unhappy with whats happening out there at the mo.
Report Smalltime Punter December 4, 2009 9:37 AM GMT
But it's got to be better to have a few overs at them when they've been in the field for 2 days, rather than letting them have a nice sleep before they have to bat.

V poor if they don't bowl at SL tonight.
Report STEPTOES YARD December 4, 2009 9:37 AM GMT
Think sri lankan players wouldnt mind being off the field

Also they had a slim chance of winning test when lead 250

Gone now
Report foolds gold December 4, 2009 9:38 AM GMT
inzamam would have declared with himself being on 99 if neccesary.
i dont agree with players playing for their own stats if this is the case here
Report STEPTOES YARD December 4, 2009 9:38 AM GMT
Whichever way they do it I just cant see sri lanka seeing off 5 sessions plus to draw a test which doesnt change fact lost series
Report Lori December 4, 2009 9:40 AM GMT
Would you really want to use a towel when Ishant has just wiped his giant conk on it?
Report Johnny Fontaine December 4, 2009 9:40 AM GMT
It will take a monumental effort to save this test. Two days left can't see it.
Report brentford December 4, 2009 9:40 AM GMT
misread that the first time, Lori :0
Report STEPTOES YARD December 4, 2009 9:40 AM GMT
Anyone know who won the F1 powerboat race ?
Report Smalltime Punter December 4, 2009 9:41 AM GMT
They probably won't Steptoe's, but I think this is pretty poor tactics from India. Do what the opposition least want - I'm sure the SL openers would much rather set out 325 behind tomorrow than 310 behind tonight.
Report Lori December 4, 2009 9:41 AM GMT
:^0 to both
Report Johnny Fontaine December 4, 2009 9:41 AM GMT
So did I as it goes Brenty
Report Johnny Fontaine December 4, 2009 9:43 AM GMT
Oz price annoying me as it comes in along with this
Report fairweather December 4, 2009 9:44 AM GMT
All i'd add is the new ball hasnt taken wickets at the top of either innings here so far.
1st SL wicket went after 20 overs, 1st Indian went after 40 overs.
If SL start nicely tomorrow, no wickets down after the first hour's play, the draw layers will be panicking.
Report Johnny Fontaine December 4, 2009 9:44 AM GMT
He's in FFS
Report oddduck December 4, 2009 9:46 AM GMT
no they wont
Report STEPTOES YARD December 4, 2009 9:46 AM GMT
dropped
Report Johnny Fontaine December 4, 2009 9:47 AM GMT
What time is the WC draw ?
Report STEPTOES YARD December 4, 2009 9:47 AM GMT
Are the comms blind ?

Not a word on a drop and yesterday ball runs along ground to fielder and suni gives it out
Report Monty's Wonderbra December 4, 2009 9:47 AM GMT
been out for a run and ffs they're still batting. selfish git
Report brentford December 4, 2009 9:48 AM GMT
about 5pm I think (though don't rely on that info) JF
Report STEPTOES YARD December 4, 2009 9:48 AM GMT
About 5.30 I think
Report mvuemba December 4, 2009 9:48 AM GMT
Starts at 5.15 on bbc2 but the real stuff starts at 6.0 jf
Report timbo86 December 4, 2009 9:48 AM GMT
its 5.45 guys
Report Johnny Fontaine December 4, 2009 9:48 AM GMT
So we'll know the groups about 8 bells then :|
Report brentford December 4, 2009 9:49 AM GMT
spread on 'group of death ' mentions in the coverage 150-160
Report mvuemba December 4, 2009 9:49 AM GMT
But Charlize Theron will be MC, so you might want to be there from the start.
Report Johnny Fontaine December 4, 2009 9:50 AM GMT
Might lump on Brazil think they'll trade shorter :|

huge that
Report foolds gold December 4, 2009 9:50 AM GMT
dec
Report STEPTOES YARD December 4, 2009 9:50 AM GMT
Declared on his 100 :^0
Report Lori December 4, 2009 9:50 AM GMT
Funny when she pulled Ireland first out on the trial run
Report Johnny Fontaine December 4, 2009 9:51 AM GMT
selfish git
Report Monty's Wonderbra December 4, 2009 9:51 AM GMT
up there with lara in the selfish cricketer stakes
Report brentford December 4, 2009 9:51 AM GMT
Charlize :x :x
Report foolds gold December 4, 2009 9:51 AM GMT
shocking antics playing for his hundred lol. could have declared 5 overs earlier and this mini spell would have been much more effective
Report fairweather December 4, 2009 9:51 AM GMT
3 overs to survive :D thanks Dhonut.
Report brentford December 4, 2009 9:52 AM GMT
harsh to crticise imo
Report timbo86 December 4, 2009 9:52 AM GMT
guys i know this is serious aftertiming and i deserve to be hung at dawn but get the roger in overnight i looked at the run spreads and it was 725 either way so took some overs now that is some serious luck just there
Report Johnny Fontaine December 4, 2009 9:52 AM GMT
She didn't look too hot when she played the monster
Report brentford December 4, 2009 9:52 AM GMT
would have wanted that kind of lead even without his milestone I'd have thought.
Report Monty's Wonderbra December 4, 2009 9:52 AM GMT
brentford 04 Dec 10:52
harsh to crticise imo

we dont seem to be finding it that difficult ;)
Report brentford December 4, 2009 9:53 AM GMT
:D JF
Report STEPTOES YARD December 4, 2009 9:53 AM GMT
wp timbo

Didnt look too clever at 670-9
Report foolds gold December 4, 2009 9:53 AM GMT
dhoni is a disgrace lol
Report smeagors December 4, 2009 9:53 AM GMT
triple nelson lead for the injuns
Report trader pj December 4, 2009 9:53 AM GMT
I have a gut feeling that laying India will pay as an overnight bet
Report Lori December 4, 2009 9:54 AM GMT
I got the impression he was going to declare here and went for his 100 rather than the other way around.
Report Ernesto December 4, 2009 9:54 AM GMT
That's pathetic from a captain.

On the World Cup draw, the Denis Law Memorial Night Time Golf tournament is being held at courses all over Scotland from 5.30pm tonight.
Report timbo86 December 4, 2009 9:55 AM GMT
your telling me SY had written it off at tea to be fair had banked on sehwag to be smashing it about 1st thing.
Report STEPTOES YARD December 4, 2009 9:55 AM GMT
Yep. Wont change the result.

Can see this being done tomorrow
Report Smalltime Punter December 4, 2009 9:57 AM GMT
Poor from Dhoni - what does a century mean in the context of the game? Very little.

They may well still win, but I think they'd have given themselves a much better chance of doing so by having 10 overs at SL tonight rather than 3. That, surely, should be the overriding consideration, rather than trying to score a meaningless hundred.

Can't see that the extra 30 runs makes much difference either, certainly not compared to the chance of picking up a couple of wickets while the openers are knackered.
Report brentford December 4, 2009 9:58 AM GMT
think the extra 30 or so runs gives them a much more secure position in terms of not losing the game and in the context of the series position was worth it.
Report Monty's Wonderbra December 4, 2009 9:59 AM GMT
still, looking at the bigger picture, 333 behind. 181 overs left in the game. they've got to bat at least 140 of them at least. pitch is going to help and the sl line up looks brittle. should all add up to an innings win
Report brentford December 4, 2009 9:59 AM GMT
the equation would have been possible to be left chasing 150-160 in the last half of day 5.
Report STEPTOES YARD December 4, 2009 10:00 AM GMT
Agree brent.

Making game safe first priority.

Plus alot tougher for sri lanka blocking for draw now with no chance of win
Report Johnny Fontaine December 4, 2009 10:00 AM GMT
Got to be a free back India here for 3 overs
Report fairweather December 4, 2009 10:00 AM GMT
hmmm...Every indian batsman gets a half century plus, except Yuvraj, gets out going for a biggie.....of the tail, Harby gets out with a ridiculous reserve sweep, Zaheer sees off 50 balls before getting out going for a maximum and Sreesanth and Ohja keep Dhoni company for 19 overs not out.

Seems to me this wicket isnt offering much to the bowlers.
Report Ernesto December 4, 2009 10:01 AM GMT
If it was about records, I'd have thought the 760 would have come into his consideration if he was only giving them a couple of overs anyway.
Report Monty's Wonderbra December 4, 2009 10:01 AM GMT
confidence fairweather.
Report STEPTOES YARD December 4, 2009 10:02 AM GMT
tbf ojha only faced about 15 balls
Report Gazzboy2770. December 4, 2009 10:03 AM GMT
Report STEPTOES YARD December 4, 2009 10:05 AM GMT
Good point about nightwatchman

If a wicket fell with 3 overs left of a days play a nightwatchman would come out

So why doesnt one open in this situation
Report Smalltime Punter December 4, 2009 10:05 AM GMT
Surely at 300 ahead the game is already safe though - you're not seriously telling me that Dhoni is worried that Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman etc are going to get rolled in under two sessions on a pitch where they've already scored 700 and SL have scored 450 in the third innings???

There's making a game safe and there's plain paranoia.

I just think it was worth having a bit longer at SL tonight - wickets shouldn't be easy to come by, and you've got a much better chance when the oppo have been chasing leather for two days rather than when they've had a nice sleep.
Report fairweather December 4, 2009 10:06 AM GMT
yes SY but you'd have to agree the only genuine wicket to fall where the batsman didnt get himself out was Sreesanth's. When it comes to the SL tail hanging on for time to save the draw, i wonder how easy it might be to finish them off.
Report Monty's Wonderbra December 4, 2009 10:07 AM GMT
the track will be 1 day older fairw
Report STEPTOES YARD December 4, 2009 10:07 AM GMT
They got from 300 to 333 lead in quick time though sp.

Crucial time was taking the lead from 240-250 to 300
Report fairweather December 4, 2009 10:07 AM GMT
no shi t Monty :D
Report Monty's Wonderbra December 4, 2009 10:08 AM GMT
come on tiil d chuck it away
Report Monty's Wonderbra December 4, 2009 10:09 AM GMT
well fairw you didnt take that into account, 90 more overs, 6 hours more of sun, who knows how it will play. worse is my guess
Report brentford December 4, 2009 10:09 AM GMT
would have been 300 ahead - minus 30 tonight with SL facing 9-10 overs (270 ahead)

been a quick scoring game - SL 330 on day 4 (India 60 behind)

Day 5 SL all out just after lunch (160-170 behind) - not sure why when you don't have to chase a game you'd choose to give SL that window, yeah it's unlikely but why bother..

all open to personal view - not sure there is a right or wrong but I'd have certainly gone with Dhoni's approach .....probably need to seek council from green beard or Boh' on this for a definitive answer :D
Report STEPTOES YARD December 4, 2009 10:10 AM GMT
Supertraders dont seem to do Tests :|
Report fairweather December 4, 2009 10:11 AM GMT
SURVIVED!
Report Smalltime Punter December 4, 2009 10:17 AM GMT
Purely from a time point of view, and the fact that it's easier to score runs now than on day 5, then yes, it makes sense to do what they did. But I think the increased chance to take an early wicket or two made it worth declaring earlier.

OK, if SL survive and are 40/0 at stumps and therefore only 250 behind then it doesn't look so great, but 35/1 or even 30/2 would have pretty much sealed things. I'd have liked to have seen them go for that. And not just because I've backed them ;) .
Report bigjoe December 4, 2009 10:18 AM GMT
Roles reversed from the 1st test ... its lankans that now need to 5 sessions to save game after a 330 defecit :0

Injuns gave a masterclass in that test on how to save a game.. tomorrow we will find out if the scholars from sri lanka learnt anything :(

I fear they will not have.. i feat that after effects of the roller wear off after about 10 overs tomorrow ... batting will become a nightmare for lanka... i still say they will do extremely well to take this game into day 5 ... in fact i think they will do well to take the game to tea tommorow :(

Good luck :)
Report bf trader December 4, 2009 10:22 AM GMT
they prefer to concentrate on maulings sy. :|
Report bigjoe December 4, 2009 10:25 AM GMT
SP... Dhoni got it spot on imo.... If tomorrow was last day then obviously they should have declared .. but tomorrow may well be the last day here.. but not the 5th day ;)

Best chance of wickets for india will be the new ball coupled with some moisture in pitch for first hour tomorrow.

If injuns had 10 overs with that new ball tonight and did not take a wicket .. then lanka would have found it easier in the morning :)

Indias best chance to win this test was not to score another 100 runs quickly.. but to ensure that lanka begin their inings as close as possible to day 4 when pitch will start to play tricks.

The likes of Yuvraj, laxman and Dhoni showed their class as test players today by curbing their natural aggresive instincts in favour of the teams need to ensure crease occupation and further wearing of the pitch.

A true test players is one that adapts to situations.. sehwag adapted one way in a agrresive manoe .. the others today done just as well in doing their bit with crease occupation.

Another classical batting performance by the most classical and best batting lineup in world cricket imo :)
Report Smalltime Punter December 4, 2009 10:31 AM GMT
Can't see that there's much evidence to suggest that there's much in it for the bowlers early in the day:

Day 1 - SL openers start comfortably
Day 2 - India openers start even more comfortably
Day 3 - OK, Sehwag went quite early, but certainly nothing to do with moisture in the pitch or help for the seamers

It's not the new ball that I thought would take the wickets tonight - it's the fact that SL have been ground into the dust for 2 days in the field.

Tomorrow morning they'll have had a nice rest. Obviously they will most likely lose anyway, but I thought India would have maximised their chances of a win by having a few more overs at them tonight.
Report bigjoe December 4, 2009 10:43 AM GMT
Sp.. if my memory serves me corect :( .. the first hour of match saw plenty of seam and swing and even dilshan was being watchful :0 .. yes it got easier after an hour and it stopped swinging.

Injuns openers did not start their innings till 40 minutes into the day on day 2 so just had to play out about 20 minutes of the first hore.. and this morning lanka started procedings with spinners in first hour and did not take the new ball till later :0

So i maintain that there will be swing early tomorrow....and i will not be surprised to see one of the opners go early :)
Report bigjoe December 4, 2009 10:43 AM GMT
Sp.. if my memory serves me corect :( .. the first hour of match saw plenty of seam and swing and even dilshan was being watchful :0 .. yes it got easier after an hour and it stopped swinging.

Injuns openers did not start their innings till 40 minutes into the day on day 2 so just had to play out about 20 minutes of the first hore.. and this morning lanka started procedings with spinners in first hour and did not take the new ball till later :0

So i maintain that there will be swing early tomorrow....and i will not be surprised to see one of the opners go early :)
Report Smalltime Punter December 4, 2009 11:00 AM GMT
Well I must admit that I didn't watch the early stuff - I don't do 4am starts, so was just going on the actual wickets lost rather than the detail of what the ball was doing.

I wouldn't be particularly surprised to see an early wicket tomorrow either - it's always a possibility, especially when one opener always plays his shots and the other one isn't that good ;) .

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree - I still think India should win this comfortably, I just would have liked to have seen them give themselves a better chance of picking up a wicket or two before the close. Obviously we'll never know now whether or not they would have done so.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com