Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
JimmyK
29 Nov 09 09:37
| Topic/replies: 590 | Blogger: JimmyK's blog
off mic, at the fall of Ryan McLaren that forced the BBC to issue an apology?
Pause Switch to Standard View What did Sir Geoffrey say?
Show More
Report GrimReaper November 29, 2009 9:41 AM GMT
I don't know, but I am sure that Poppa, the forum's resident Geoffrey-stalker will be along shortly to tell us :)
Report michael knight November 29, 2009 9:42 AM GMT
"It's ridiculous that anyone is banned whilst Murali is still playing", "Murali should be called as a witness for the defence in any throwing case" and "it's unfair that a lesser bowler is banned whilst he's allowed to bowl just because he could potentially get a 1000 wickets."

He said this during the last odi re Botha lol.

Doubt the bbc would have to apologise over this though.
Report TwoTonTed November 29, 2009 10:03 AM GMT
basically said that the doorsa should either be permitted (by everyone) or outlawed completely. Said that anyone who bowls one must be bowling illegally. Change the laws etc etc............
Report JimmyK November 29, 2009 10:05 AM GMT
that was surely not worth a public apology, i feared a big ron type incident or something!
Report JimmyK November 29, 2009 10:06 AM GMT
ttt, that surely was not offensive though?
Report GrimReaper November 29, 2009 10:06 AM GMT
And why should the BBC apologise for this? Hand-wringing numpties.
Report GrimReaper November 29, 2009 10:08 AM GMT
I thought he might have spotted that large black lady gyrating, and said "By 'eck, I'd like to put soom balls in 'er "corridor of uncertainty""
Report TwoTonTed November 29, 2009 10:11 AM GMT
sorry, didnt realise this thread is in reference to the dismissal of McLaren today, I was talking about his doorsa rant the other day (which wasnt at all racist or anything untoward, just Geoff's usual pointed remarks).
Report plainmoor layer November 29, 2009 10:11 AM GMT
Crazy, crazy, crazy -- the apologies that broadcasters make nowadays whenever anybody says the slightest thing that may offend one person in a million. Sky Sports are amongst the worst offenders whenever a player is heard to swear - it's crazy it's real life ffs - get a grip - nobody really cares - nobody is really offended.
Report marychain1 November 29, 2009 10:24 AM GMT
they apologised for Rory Mcllroy swearing on the golf this morning. He said the F word under his breath, and although it was obvious what he had said if you have even moderate lip reading skills, you couldnt hear him as it was a long distance camera.

No need for an apology but there we go.
Report Girls aloud lezzer scrum November 29, 2009 10:43 AM GMT
He said " back in the hutch you filthy mutha**a "
Report TwoTonTed November 29, 2009 10:52 AM GMT
I think pro golfers do incredibly well when they miss a put or dump a shot into a hazzard; in general they manage a contained scowl. Any club golfer will be more than familiar with extremely choice language screamed from corner to corner of your average course; I'm right up there in the guilty steaks when I find it impossible not to call myself a**t out load on a regular basis :D
Report Max and Paddy November 29, 2009 10:54 AM GMT
Broadcasters have to apologise - not cos they think it's terrible, but cos an apology immediately after a remark that might be seen offensive will count in their favour if they get in trouble with OFCOM.
Report GrimReaper November 29, 2009 10:54 AM GMT
We find it hard not to call you a**t out loud on a regular basis as well, Teddles :^0
Report TwoTonTed November 29, 2009 10:57 AM GMT
you referring to our rugny side Grim :|
Report TwoTonTed November 29, 2009 10:57 AM GMT
rugby even :)
Report GrimReaper November 29, 2009 10:58 AM GMT
Cost me a few bob yesterday.. :_|
Report TwoTonTed November 29, 2009 11:01 AM GMT
lol me too, our most inept performance for about 3 or 4 years, made worse by the fact that the convicts have been pretty average with even a loss notched up against the Sweaties :_|
Report JimmyK November 29, 2009 11:18 AM GMT
if its what i heard in the lunch break...............he laughed and cheered when McLaren was out. .....................if they have to apologise for that what is the world coming to!!
Report scliffor November 29, 2009 11:23 AM GMT
Not surprised if he did enjoy it when McLaren was out, he was arguing earlier that McLaren couldn't bat (with one of the SA commentators)
Report RockMonkey November 29, 2009 11:25 AM GMT
The apology is often more infuriating than what they are apologising for...and don't get me started on warnings that films may contain 'scenes of peril'!!!
Report Innocent Bystander November 29, 2009 11:25 AM GMT
He cant - if he was any good England would have snapped him up. They werent interested so he went back home to Saffer
Report JimmyK November 29, 2009 11:27 AM GMT
IB

Am I correct in thinking that McLaren was one of the 'i am not sure who i want to play for'...............'i always wanted to play for the country of my birth'......... Kolpak players?
Report JimmyK November 29, 2009 11:29 AM GMT
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/6683907/BBC-apologises-for-Geoff-Boycott-tirade.html

hahahahahahahaha
Report JimmyK November 29, 2009 11:30 AM GMT
he did say something then!!
Report Innocent Bystander November 29, 2009 11:30 AM GMT
http://www.sportinglife.com/cricket/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=cricket/09/11/29/CRICKET_Boycott.html

BBC SAYS SORRY FOR BOYCOTT OUTBURST

The BBC apologised to radio listeners today after a foul-mouthed outburst from Geoffrey Boycott during its cricket coverage.

The outspoken 69-year-old commentator was overheard shrieking "f****** t****r" during the corporation's Test Match Special coverage of England's match against South Africa this morning.

His comment was understood to have been made after England took a sixth wicket as they bowled South Africa out for 119 in the fourth one-day international in Port Elizabeth.

It was not known who the comment was directed at and Boycott was unaware comments were being broadcast, a BBC source said.

A Radio 5 Live spokesman said: "An off-air comment made by Geoffrey Boycott in a live broadcast was heard by some listeners which we apologised for as soon as we realised it had been audible."
Report Jan1ne November 29, 2009 11:32 AM GMT
boycott probably one of the few things the BBC shouldn't be apologising for
Report Girls aloud lezzer scrum November 29, 2009 11:32 AM GMT
What's the 2nd word please ? Tinker ?
Report GrimReaper November 29, 2009 11:33 AM GMT
I think the funniest thing is that the Telegraph refer to him as "Sir Geoffrey" - TWICE!

:^0 :^0 :^0
Report Innocent Bystander November 29, 2009 11:33 AM GMT
** you would think

Maybe he was complaining about Smiths decision to insert as he had backed Saffers at 1.5 pre game :0
Report Innocent Bystander November 29, 2009 11:33 AM GMT
t0sser
Report Max and Paddy November 29, 2009 11:34 AM GMT
Bearing in mind my earlier post, I think it's fair to say that in this instance the BBC were correct to apologise!
Report Girls aloud lezzer scrum November 29, 2009 11:34 AM GMT
Ah thanks :)
Report Innocent Bystander November 29, 2009 11:35 AM GMT
Did Sir Geoffrey just bump into Duncan Fletcher?
Report Green Beard November 29, 2009 12:22 PM GMT
:D just another disgraceful example of PC gone wrong imvho
Report michael knight November 29, 2009 6:32 PM GMT
Ahh it wasnt about chucking at all -

The BBC has been forced to apologise after cricketing legend Geoffrey Boycott made a foul-mouthed outburst on live radio.

The outspoken 69-year-old commentator was overheard screaming 'f****** t***er' during the corporation's Test Match Special coverage of England's one-day cricket match against South Africa this morning on Radio 5 Live.

He made the comment after England took a sixth wicket as they bowled South Africa out for 119 in the fourth one-day international in Port Elizabeth.

It was not known who exactly the comment was directed at and Sir Geoffrey was unaware comments were being broadcast, a BBC source said.

However, Ryan McLaren was the sixth South African wicket to fall, caught by Paul Collingwood at backward point for a fifth-ball duck, giving James Anderson the fourth of his five wickets during the innings.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1231864/BBC-apologises-Boycotts-foul...
Report michael knight November 29, 2009 6:33 PM GMT
oh IB's already mentioned it - sorry!
Report Amanda Hugnkiss November 30, 2009 2:21 PM GMT
Vile man.
Report BigMig November 30, 2009 3:07 PM GMT
He was actually on air with Agnew at the time. When McLaren was out, he mouthed the words '**g t0sser' to Gerald de Kock sitting near him but they could be picked up. Very faintly but enough for the Beeb to apologise.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com