Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Innocent Bystander
27 Nov 09 04:24
| Topic/replies: 3,297 | Blogger: Innocent Bystander's blog
Misses the Third test to attend his sisters wedding

I am really lost for words :0
Show More
Report Innocent Bystander November 27, 2009 4:25 AM GMT
I suppose the question is......is he the groom :0 :p
Report murrayfield November 27, 2009 4:49 AM GMT
:0
Report biggestKINGKONG November 27, 2009 6:02 AM GMT
shocking. really shocking.
Report michael knight November 27, 2009 8:37 AM GMT
Not really shocking imo.

A sister's wedding in South Asian culture is akin to the birth of ones child when it comes to momentous occasions. No one blinks an eye lid when an aussie or english players skips a match to attend a birth so don't see what the problem is here.
Report biggestKINGKONG November 27, 2009 8:46 AM GMT
never heard of an indian international missing games for a wedding before. thats shocking.
Report michael knight November 27, 2009 9:01 AM GMT
anyway it's only a test match: now if he was missing a T20 then one could understand the uproar.
Report Super Vixen November 27, 2009 9:09 AM GMT
michael knight 27 Nov 09:37

Not really shocking imo.

A sister's wedding in South Asian culture is akin to the birth of ones child when it comes to momentous occasions. No one blinks an eye lid when an aussie or english players skips a match to attend a birth so don't see what the problem is here.

Virtually word for word what I was about to post.

A lot of people on here don't appear to understand other cultures and the significance of certain events. I assume the next time an England player misses a game because a loved one is seriously ill we will be similarly surprised.
Report bigjoe November 27, 2009 9:33 AM GMT
test tons come along pretty regulairily for Gambhir these days ;) .. sisters weddings not so common .. so god luck to him... and well done to the injun team management for releasing him for this big event.. and obviously a merciful release for the lankan bowling too :D
Report sp99 November 27, 2009 4:17 PM GMT
Don't see why the sky pundits and others were so shocked over this.

A sibling's wedding is hardly something trivial.

And tbh I've heard worse excuses - I mean he could have pulled out because a relative fell off a ladder of likewise ;)
Report Innocent Bystander November 27, 2009 4:18 PM GMT
or claim the death of his grandmother, and when that was shown to be incorrect claim it was the other grandmother :D
Report Deadly Earnest November 27, 2009 4:47 PM GMT
If I was in a team, especially in a leadership role and someone missed a match for a wedding I wouldn't be impressed.

If I was a selector I'd want to make him earn his spot back.

His sister would be no less married, her poor husband no less henpecked, her mother no less painful due to Gautum's presence at her wedding.

It is to be hoped he doesn't have too many other unmarried sisters for his sake.
Report michael knight November 27, 2009 4:54 PM GMT
'Its all about local knowledge' (or the lack of it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK_NinOmFWw
Report rolo2 November 27, 2009 5:07 PM GMT
good on him
Report fundamentalist November 27, 2009 5:07 PM GMT
different cultures I guess, I refused to miss a club game for my brothers wedding
Report Max and Paddy November 27, 2009 5:22 PM GMT
I refused to take a day off work to go to my sister's wedding. But that's cos she's a twát.
Report in hell November 27, 2009 5:27 PM GMT
just more proof that test match cricket is finished
Report fundamentalist November 27, 2009 5:28 PM GMT
similar sentiments for my brothers M&P lol ;)
Report inner city sumo November 27, 2009 10:36 PM GMT
Yeah! It's a disgrace his family is more important to him than sport...
Report thehoops November 27, 2009 10:36 PM GMT
as long as he f ucks the bridesmaid in the ars e i am good with it
Report oddduck November 27, 2009 11:39 PM GMT
:^0
Report stephaniebot November 28, 2009 7:04 AM GMT
The trouble is, there used to be an off season for test cricketers, for these thngs to haopen, now thats pretty much not the case

Yes, good for the BCCI to let him go, but so he should!
Report Canaletto . November 28, 2009 7:09 AM GMT
In all probability Gambhir is the best thing that has happened to that family so you would have thought the sister would have had the sense to plan the wedding better!
Report mittheimp November 28, 2009 7:11 AM GMT
selfish sister in my opinion
Report Asparagus Man November 28, 2009 7:21 AM GMT
Would have thought the sister would have tried to arrange it round the international cricket calendar - but wasn't this series agreed quite late?
Report michael knight November 28, 2009 8:52 AM GMT
Most Injuns consult an astrologer to set a weddiing date (yes may sound bizarre to many but that's their belief system so who are we to tell them they're wrong) so it's not always possible to plan things around the cricket calender.
Report mittheimp November 28, 2009 9:38 AM GMT
i confidently announce that arranging things around a cosmic star gazing calendar has no barring on the success of a marriage.... despite it being not my culture!
Report d13phe November 28, 2009 10:08 AM GMT
tbf gambhir's probably paying for it
Report Smalltime Punter November 28, 2009 2:02 PM GMT
No problem with Gambhir attending it, but surprised his sister arranged it to clash with a Test - I read somewhere that after this series India only have 3 more Tests in the next 10 months, so you'd think a gap would be easily found.

Shame for India as well - he's in obscenely good form at the moment. Do we know who's replacing him?
Report Lori November 28, 2009 3:45 PM GMT
How on earth will they make 900 runs now?
Report Lori November 28, 2009 3:46 PM GMT
mittheimp 28 Nov 10:38
i confidently announce that arranging things around a cosmic star gazing calendar has no barring on the success of a marriage.... despite it being not my culture!

It might. If you didn't do it that way, maybe it would upset one of the parties.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com