Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
d13phe
27 Nov 09 19:40
| Topic/replies: 22,897 | Blogger: d13phe's blog
I know we got truly thumped but two things stood out for me which really impressed metoday about england

1. They deferred taking the bowling powerplay until after a wicket

2. they promoted luke wright up the order

this is a real forward step for england imo

bravo
Pause Switch to Standard View England today
Show More
Report cdog November 27, 2009 10:24 PM GMT
hang on they took the powerplay after 17 overs, and the first wicket fell during it.
Report JimmyK November 27, 2009 11:14 PM GMT
I liked the order change as well, fair enough it did not work greatly. However, Saffers would have assumed no change and it shows a flexability that we have not always had.
Report thehoops November 27, 2009 11:33 PM GMT
i think we (eng) played really well

well done SA tho especially AB
Report Lix November 28, 2009 12:53 AM GMT
Eng played well did they ?:|

Got a 112 run spanking ! Sloppy fielding, a lack of intensity and no 'go to' bowler. A shocking effort but well done for promoting Wright and taking the PP later !
Report Deadly Earnest November 28, 2009 1:42 AM GMT
I liked some of the tactics as well there today.

Wright looks close to learning not to try to hit the short ball into outer space, but it got him again. Strauss and Trott also guilty of trying to overhit balls that would have been better timed and placed.

They bat deep and have some dangerous hitting now England but te bowling looks quite vulnerable. The Teebrez looks like he is going ok but needs to lose 2 stone really. Jimmy is going ok. Broad might be improved for the run but he needs to find a bit in ODI's. Swann is fine for an offspinner and there are reasonable 5th bowler options.

I suppose if Teebrez dropped the required stonage and Broad gets better and maybe a bowler like Flintoff back at his best you have a pretty decent ODI team perhaps capable of mixing it at the top table as often as not.
Report Injera November 28, 2009 2:09 AM GMT
Not sure about giving credit to England for promoting Wright. It was fairly obvious after all.

If we start applauding the bleedin' obvious then we have a problem.

The bowling was so poor. On a flat one you must bowl back of a length and try to hit the splice. Sadly we lacked the real pace of a Morkel or a Steyn.
Report worcester sauce November 28, 2009 10:33 AM GMT
d13 agree with you BUT could they have taken it further by bringing morgan or prior in once wright got out both prefer pace on the ball.trott could have been saved for when strauss got out as they both build an innings with their run rate going up the more they bat
Report lbw November 28, 2009 10:34 AM GMT
does anyone think Luke Wright stays at the top of the order... or does Trott slot back in as opener ??
Report Lori November 28, 2009 11:30 AM GMT
It was fairly obvious after all.

Spotting things that are fairly obvious is a step forward for England.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com