Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
rolo2
26 Nov 09 07:25
| Topic/replies: 13,546 | Blogger: rolo2's blog
betfair: "It's an incorrect assumption that premium charge customers are "more important" to us than other customers on the exchange - one could well argue that those most important are the losing customers who keep on feeding the winners.

We actually try to treat all customers very well, but do offer a premium service to our "key accounts", those large customers who put a significant amount of volume through the site, and regardless of whether they pay a premium charge or not."

could anybody here explain more about these "key" accounts? I was just wondering what this meant and if this is a type of account status that is assigned on the discretion of betfair?

tx :)
Pause Switch to Standard View Betfair "Key Accounts"
Show More
Report brentford November 26, 2009 6:28 AM GMT
it's on a need to know basis :|
Report rolo2 November 26, 2009 6:29 AM GMT
and does anybody know what these 'premium services' are?
Report brentford November 26, 2009 6:30 AM GMT
I dread to think :^0
Report rolo2 November 26, 2009 6:43 AM GMT
because the question that was posted was why not give the premium charge paying customers some special services - then the reply was because these customers are just as valuable to betfair as any other customer BUT that there are other premium services to key accounts. a bit contradictory, so it got me thinking that for these 'key accounts', surely they must be more valuable to betfair than other accounts, otherwise why give them special services? and then the question: in theory, if its not about volume, then what would make these 'key accounts' more valuable to betfair?
Report brentford November 26, 2009 6:46 AM GMT
it is about volume though - it says it is your pasted intro
Report brentford November 26, 2009 6:49 AM GMT
premium charge customers aren't directly of value to BF.

People that put large amounts into markets (regardless of win/lose) are presumably valuable as they help create an attractive betting environment.
Report rolo2 November 26, 2009 6:49 AM GMT
yes brentford you are right!
so i guess we can assume then that from time to time, certain clients who trade in very high volumes (probably much higher than what is needed to qualify for the premium charge), are approached by betair and offered some extra or special services.
still would be nice to know what those services are though!
Report brentford November 26, 2009 6:52 AM GMT
I suppose the other key point is that players of 'size' also pay huge amounts of comission to BF - again regardless of overall profit/loss and regardless of being a pc payer or not

BF I believe give such clients hospitality at sporting events, an account mangaer and no doubt some lovely other things...
Report rolo2 November 26, 2009 7:02 AM GMT
surely betfair would prefer that 'players of size' lose money rather than win. since commision is only paid on winnings, it would be more profitable to have the smaller fish win, since they pay a higher percentage commision? but then again, i guess the premium charge takes care of that.
:) cheers for your input!
Report 1.01 Layer November 26, 2009 9:19 AM GMT
I don't get why the punter that puts in a £1m into a footie match odds market that already has £3m unmatched more valuable than someone who puts in £5k into a less liquid market like a To score 50 market.
Report good value losers November 26, 2009 9:59 AM GMT
1m * .05 = 50k
5k * .05 = 250
Report 1.01 Layer November 26, 2009 10:16 AM GMT
So half a percent of a bigger number gives a bigger number.

The point I'm trying to make is that the relative liquidity added on an illiquid market doesn't need such a large sum but if bfs system rewards only large sum punters then that does nothing to encourage liquidity in the quieter markets.

I'm not sure what you're saying, gvl.
Report metal guru November 26, 2009 10:23 AM GMT
why would betfair be interested in encouraging liquidity in illiquid markets?the bottom line is how much commission is a customer generating for betfair.
Report 1.01 Layer November 26, 2009 10:24 AM GMT
Because if joe punter wants 50 quid on Strauss to score 50 and there's no money in the market, he'll pick up the phone to some bookie.
Report good value losers November 26, 2009 10:26 AM GMT
................................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,............................. .....
...........................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,..........................................
......................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,......................................
..................,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\... ..................................
................;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\....................................
................\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/...........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,................................
.................\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*.............`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,...............................
...................\llllllllllll,-~*........................)_-\..*`*;..)..............................
.....................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................../...............................
.....................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;.................../.\..............................
.................../.../..../..../..,-,..*~,.`*~*..................*...\.......................... ...
...................|.../.../..../.*`...\................................)....)¯`~,........... .........
...................|./..../..../........).........)`*~-,............../.....|..)...`~-,..............
.................././.../....,*`-,.....`-,....*`....,---......\...../...../..|..........¯```*~-,,,,
.................(............)`*~-,.....`*`.,-~*.,-*.......|.../..../..../...............\..........
..................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*.............|.,*...,*....|.................\.........
......................*,.........`-,....)-,..................,-*`...,-*.....(`-,..............\........
........................f`-,........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*.....,-*......|....`-,...............\.......
Report metal guru November 26, 2009 10:27 AM GMT
they couldn't give a monkeys about joe punters bullseye on strauss if it's only worth a cup of tea in comission to them
Report 1.01 Layer November 26, 2009 10:34 AM GMT
So it would seem.
Report rolo2 November 26, 2009 12:20 PM GMT
it all ads up, metal guru :)
Report Green Beard November 26, 2009 2:02 PM GMT
I can confirm, that betfair treat premium charge paying customers as poorly as they do everyone else

hth

key accounts are the big players, winners or losers
Report Innocent Bystander November 26, 2009 2:04 PM GMT
Key accounts are able to trade during Betfair downtime :0
Report Girls aloud lezzer scrum November 26, 2009 2:14 PM GMT
Being able to bet without the 5 second delay is the biggest advantage imo
Report Saluting Darren Lockyer November 26, 2009 2:37 PM GMT
what 5 sec delay
Report TwoTonTed November 26, 2009 2:47 PM GMT
5 second delay is a complete joke. Can understand it with overseas broadcasters to an extent that are simply slow, but what about the tennis from London this week on Sky?

I know that peeps find way of betting courtside but you'd think you'd have time to cancel an i/p bet when it's coming from just down the road?? Same at Wimbledon when it's broadcast by the Beeb using analogue technology.

I aint that naive as to think that peeps get around this somehow, but the sheer amount of money crashing into tennis markets does make one wonder.
Report Lix November 26, 2009 3:27 PM GMT
Lippy came up with an ingenius way of beating the clock . Not sure whether it would actually work but it involved putting up blocking bets as a 'wall' and firing in other bets every second which would usually hit the wall (self-matching) if you wanted to beat the clock, you simply cancelled the wall bet which would instantly allow you to match other peoples bets in 1 sec rather than 5.

Probably wouldnt work though!
Report Saluting Darren Lockyer November 26, 2009 3:33 PM GMT
be easier to build a time machine
Report rolo2 November 26, 2009 5:03 PM GMT
Girls aloud lezzer scrum 26 Nov 23:14
Being able to bet without the 5 second delay is the biggest advantage imo

surely everyone has the 5 sec delay?
Report VardonVoo. November 26, 2009 10:54 PM GMT
Lix - on the standard interface you can't cancel bets while
another bet is processing - the only way to do what you
suggest would be to have two accounts open on screen at once.

I don't know if the same would be true of BetAngel et al.
Report Beer and Skittles November 27, 2009 4:23 AM GMT
Ted you are right imo, but there's no way they would ever admit to it.
The tennis was on BBC this week and their was definitely major money beating the 5 second delay.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com