Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Young Devereaux
22 Nov 09 15:26
| Topic/replies: 76 | Blogger: Young Devereaux's blog
A fine knock and a willing partner in Jonathon Trott.

The ODI top order is beginning to look useful ...

1. Straussy
2. Trott
3. The Ego
4. Colly
5. Morgan
Pause Switch to Standard View Paul Collingwood OBE.
Show More
Report Jan1ne November 22, 2009 2:28 PM GMT
amazing what some pressure for your place does :0

lucky to be there but fair enough he's come good when the knives were being sharpened
Report STEPTOES YARD November 22, 2009 2:30 PM GMT
MBE isnt it
Report Max and Paddy November 22, 2009 2:31 PM GMT
Really pleased for the lad. He's shown what you can do with a lot of hard work and no little talent.

I trust Deadly Earnest will join me in congratulating Paul Collingwood MBE.
Report Mushtaq November 22, 2009 2:33 PM GMT
Shows the value of giving players a break every so often.
Report Young Devereaux November 22, 2009 2:34 PM GMT
A spot of angling there .....

On a serious note, chasing helped.

Colly has been in great touch and that was an excellent ODI knock, looking accomplished throughout.

There has been enough trash thrown his way, much of it unwarranted imo.
Report Injera November 22, 2009 2:38 PM GMT
Played Colly!

Many on this forum having been saying for years that he needs to taking responsibility at 4 and not hiding at 5 and sometimes 6.

Surprised SA didn't bowl outside his off stump more but hey, Smudger aint the brightest.

A pleasing start. 0-4 anyone?!
Report Green Beard November 22, 2009 2:43 PM GMT
on the cards injera, the south africa team looks unbalanced, batsman short, lack of any penetration bowling . . . just dont look good bowling at all really, but the batsmen they do have are decent

Ive said for years colly should be dropped but hes got some backbone and grit and sticks to what hes good at . . . saffers bowled far too much on his legs, you should just bowl outside off and he cant do much, but smiths tactics are pretty useless
Report Deadly Earnest November 22, 2009 2:45 PM GMT
Young Devereaux 22 Nov 15:26

A fine knock and a willing partner in Jonathon Trott.

The ODI top order is beginning to look useful ...

1. Straussy
2. Trott
3. The Ego
4. Colly
5. Morgan

You mean:

1. Strauss
2. Trott
3. The Passenger
4. Colly
5. Morgan

;)
Report Max and Paddy November 22, 2009 2:47 PM GMT
Deadly Earnest calls him "Colly".

HTEHB?

:^0
Report fundamentalist November 22, 2009 2:48 PM GMT
not on MSN he doesnt ;)
Report Deadly Earnest November 22, 2009 2:50 PM GMT
Oy, don't dis Sir Collingwood of Toad Hall.
Report Deadly Earnest November 22, 2009 2:51 PM GMT
Tenacious fighter who ALWAYS produces when the team needs him to.
Report GrimReaper November 22, 2009 2:52 PM GMT
Deadly's been on some potent sauce this afternoon :^0
Report Deadly Earnest November 22, 2009 2:53 PM GMT
In all seriousness, he is a decent enough ODI player. Just way overrated in test cricket.

He has been as often resposible for England ODI wins as anyone else over the course of his career, despite also having many very ordinary performances.
Report GrimReaper November 22, 2009 2:54 PM GMT
Black coffee imbibed :)
Report Deadly Earnest November 22, 2009 2:55 PM GMT
My able assistant hs me exclusively on water with the odd fresh fruit milk shake only these days Grim. :)
Report Injera November 22, 2009 2:56 PM GMT
I can't really stand 'The Shoveller' but he did well today and is proven in 1-Dayers.

I lost patience with him ages ago but having 3 strings to his bow is such an asset in these games. Quite how captains fail to work him out baffles me in the extreme but good luck to the bloke. I wish him a great tour.

SA were dreadful in the bowling and captaincy department. So nice to beat them without KP contributing. Could this be a a special winter for the lads??
Report Deadly Earnest November 22, 2009 2:58 PM GMT
Trott basically made 87 with one shot there. That has to tell you something about the Saffers limitations in the field.
Report Mushtaq November 22, 2009 4:27 PM GMT
Did the ball go in a rabbit hole?
Report Deadly Earnest November 22, 2009 5:10 PM GMT
No Mushy, not 87 off one single hit, 87 off many different repeats of the one type of shot. Strewth, the things one has to explain to people who should know better. ;)
Report the butterfly collector November 22, 2009 5:15 PM GMT
a lot of good posts here an ive always been fairly critical of colly but you cant knock him for effort an making the most of his time in international cricket.
Report Mushtaq November 22, 2009 6:59 PM GMT
It would have been much better my way.

It would have been amusing if the Saffers hadn't known the law about shouting "lost ball".
Report fundamentalist November 22, 2009 8:18 PM GMT
rabbit hole haha :D
Report bf trader November 22, 2009 10:56 PM GMT
the rabbit hole stuff reminded me of a story in a cricket book i was given where two batsmen scored 286 runs off a single ball. :0

Apparently recorded in the Times Diary at the end of the 19th century following a match in Western Australia. It seems the ball went for 6 - but got stuck in a fork of 3 branches in a tree. The batsman stopped running but the umpire ruled as the ball was still visible and had not touched the ground it was not a 6. They started running while the the fielders tried to climb the tree but the lower branches were flimsy and gave way.

The tale goes that as objects were hurled at the ball to try and dislodge it word went out for an axe to cut the small tree down. This proved unproductive leading the fielding team to try to shoot the ball out of the tree.

This also failed - at which point the fielders realised their knackered opponents had stopped running and decalared after settling for 286. The bowlers name was apparently recorded as Cogg in the scorebook.

No idea if true / based on truth and built liberally on over the years - but it made me smile. :-)
Report bf trader November 22, 2009 10:57 PM GMT
Raises an interesting question.... if the fielders had got the ball out and knocked it into the field of play and caught it would the runs be void - even though the batting team had already declared?! :0
Report Innocent Bystander November 22, 2009 11:10 PM GMT
Doesnt matter anyway - Betfair voided the market after discussing with their top 15 cricket punters :0
Report Green Beard November 22, 2009 11:14 PM GMT
:D
Report Richard LL November 22, 2009 11:58 PM GMT
Y.D did you offer overs (with reference to BF prices) on SA during this game when they were clearly priced like boll*x?
Report Richard LL November 23, 2009 12:43 AM GMT
(genuine question)
Report Young Devereaux November 23, 2009 2:22 PM GMT
Rich, Yes, hope this helps.

How come you ask btw ?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com