Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Deadly Earnest
18 Nov 09 09:11
| Topic/replies: 3,707 | Blogger: Deadly Earnest's blog
http://www.cricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/435050.html

Worcs really struggling financially and player list wise, and have signed Shakib Al Hasan for 2010 as their o/s player. We all know he is very good and this should be good for club and player. Unfortunately, he will be bowling with the Tiflex ball that the likes of Panesar and Kaneria struggled to show their best with.

I hope he does well in any case and I look forward to seeing some more of the young gun Bagladeshis in county ranks in the future.
Pause Switch to Standard View Good to see this....
Show More
Report dougydougy. November 18, 2009 8:12 AM GMT
top signing that
Report supermark November 18, 2009 1:28 PM GMT
what is good about 3rd rate international players flooding our county game?? have i missed something
Report Deadly Earnest November 18, 2009 5:14 PM GMT
This guy is not 3rd rate.

OK, he is not a proven marquee international player if you want to put it that way, but it seems Worcester are on a very limited budget and have had to shop smart. They have lost Price and now Batty recently so need a decent spinner, and this guy is at least as good as either of those. Besides that he will be a genuine top 6 bat at Worcs.

He presents value in so many ways. As a threatening bowler who can bowl long, economical spells he is far less likely to sustain injuries than a Doug Bollinger or other fast bowler. Because he is also a very good batsman he will play all 3 formats, and whilst I don't expect him to win matches on his own, Worcester don't need that right now with a depleted list. They won't be expecting to win much at all. What this sort of player does is gives you a chance to compete in such a way that benefits other players you are developing.

If contract amounts were disclosed, I would be pretty sure that Shakib will have looked very good value compared to many higher priced internationals in county ranks next season. Barring unforeseeable injuries or the like of course.

Put it this way, imo he walks into any team in international cricket at present on merit and that goes for any format of the game.
Report chumptastic November 18, 2009 5:33 PM GMT
DE, don't waste your time explaining things to xenophobic ignorant numpties like supermark.

if worcs had signed a third rate aussie, he would've been delighted.
but because they have signed a player of asian origin albeit one who as you rightly say would walk into any international team on merit, he doesnt like it.

but then, one is white with an anglo-saxon name, and one isn't...
Report Deadly Earnest November 18, 2009 5:40 PM GMT
He didn't give any indicatin of racism in his post Chump and I see no reason to assume he is racist from his post. He merely inferred that Shakib was a 3rd rate cricketer. That is why I responded to that point. I figure if Supermark is ignorant he should be less so now, or at least he has no excuse not to be. ;)
Report Lix November 18, 2009 9:46 PM GMT
Shakib is a top notch player. should benefit both parties. fairly outrageous no one bid for him in the IPL although there are rumours he has signed a pre contract agreement with the newly formed Goa Gubbers for the 2012 IPL season 4. :)
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com