Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
someone who likes betting
07 Nov 09 11:23
| Topic/replies: 515 | Blogger: someone who likes betting's blog
On the sky ads?
Pause Switch to Standard View Why are South Africa number 1?
Show More
Report setup November 7, 2009 12:21 PM GMT
no.1 exporter of cricketers?
Report Live Forever November 7, 2009 12:22 PM GMT
I'd like to know who thought of ending it with Broad saying"OK, so you're number one."

What message it that supposed to be sending out? Is it supposed to be sarcastic? Is he supposed to be bowing down to them?

The only explanation I can think of is that it is supposed to be comedy and that he is supposed to be saying something like "ok, ok, you go on about it an awful lot though."

But it's Sky's advert that has them giving the 'number one' quotes and as far as I can recall, there's no history of SA being ridiculously vocal about being the top ranked team.

So the advert is just a farce and makes Broad look like a complete goon.

Whoever thought of it should be shot. Worse than I got my van insured from the van insurer
Report Lori November 7, 2009 1:02 PM GMT
In fairness, the longer version of the van insurer advert explains quite a lot about the guy who says "eeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" (and I don't mean boycott)
Report Live Forever November 7, 2009 7:32 PM GMT
Longer version?

I feel as if I have missed out.
Report chumptastic November 8, 2009 12:18 AM GMT
there's no history of SA being ridiculously vocal about being the top ranked team

no, you're right, it's not like the advert features their captain being vocal about being the top ranked team. or was a gun held to his head forcing him to take part?

the advert is not a bad concept at all. the arrogance of south africans knows very few bounds. broad is meant to look at the "number one" thing with contempt and say the words "so you're number one" and leave the words "for now" hanging in the air.

unfortunately, broad's complete lack of personality gets in the way. the director/marketeers can't be blamed, they have blunt tools with which to work. they should've got KP involved though, much more scope for controversy.
Report Lori November 8, 2009 8:08 AM GMT
They play golf on the moon LF, it's pretty awesome tbh
Report beersexchipsngravy November 8, 2009 8:11 AM GMT
Strange topic

Why are SA number 1?? Have you looked at the world rankings??
Report shrood mug November 8, 2009 8:24 AM GMT
chumptastic 08 Nov 03:18

the arrogance of south africans knows very few bounds

Where did you gain this conclusion from?
Report chumptastic November 8, 2009 2:42 PM GMT
from meeting them, from observing them, usual ways.
in all honesty, the blacks and white (english origin) saffers aren't all that bad. comparable to the aussies, i would say.
but, as a sweeping generalisation, the white (dutch origin) saffers are horrible people. their level of arrogance is amazing.

i'm sure you will tell anecdotal tales of saffers who aren't arrogant, there are always individuals, but i would suggest those represent a minority.
Report shrood mug November 8, 2009 9:10 PM GMT
The Afrikaaners are mental to say the least and very confident of themselves, but I wouldnt call them arrogant. They also make up a very small minority of the population too, probably only about 5%.

Would you feel happy if you went abroad and got told how rude and unfriendly the English were because of someone's experiences in London? Presuming you're not a Londoner obviously ;)

Have you spent any period of time in SA or is your evidence anecdotal?
Report chumptastic November 8, 2009 9:17 PM GMT
went there when i was 15 - 1996 - on a school rugby tour, a tour which was in and around cape town, and went to visit relatives in durban in 2001.
also, living in birmingham, there seem to be lots of saffers around.

horrible people. and i don't say that lightly.

ps i know the inference will come, yes we got our ar$es kicked on the rugby tour, and no, that's not why i hate the afrikaans.
Report shrood mug November 8, 2009 9:33 PM GMT
I coach Rugby in Cape Town and have been on a few tours out in the sticks (Afrikaaner country) and yes there are **s, but no more than you encounter anywhere else in the world.

Arrogance really is a disgusting personality trait imo, I despise it, so I'm not just arguing for the sake of it, really havent encountered enough of it to warrant labeling an entire nation.
Report thetitan November 9, 2009 1:50 AM GMT
fwiw i agree regarding the afrikaaners, they dont like foreigners at all and on the whole are some of the most racist, selfish and hostile people i've met. seen them interact with blacks and they treat them in a 'what are you looking at?' fashion, never seen it anywhere else in the world apart from south india perhaps when a few sri lankan fishermen come and sell their wares
Report BoB D November 9, 2009 7:34 AM GMT
I could never understand why English schoolboy sport was so poor. English schools would often end up playing our second teams or teams from a lower age group.

Perhaps this phenomenon explains why there are so many Saffers making a living in English county cricket.
Report Lori November 9, 2009 9:06 AM GMT
Where did you gain this conclusion from?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSLMKUXZ3hk
Report richo13 November 9, 2009 9:15 AM GMT
@lori - that is v.v funny - nice one ;-)
Report crunchyfrog November 12, 2009 6:38 PM GMT
Speaking of Sky Sports, at the end of the "South Africa v England: Tour Preview" programme, they refer to tomorrows match as Pro20.
Since when has it been Pro20 ???
:0
Report Lix November 12, 2009 6:54 PM GMT
since er.... forever in SA.
Report Live Forever November 12, 2009 7:18 PM GMT
Yes, bbut back to the original point. South Africans/Africaans may or may not be arrogant but the fact remains that some nob at Sky or their ad agency will have come up with the 'No.1' theme. Smith and the SA actors on this ad will not have contacted Sky and said 'Right, this is what you are doing, we want to proclaim that we are 'No 1' every 3 seconds and I insist you let us'.

Smith will have just gone along with the daft idea from some idiot ad man. Yet at the end of the ad we have the ridiculous site of Broad trying to act like Mr Charisma (in his defence, again at the whim of some ad man) making out that 'Hey, aren't these South Africans arrogant. They never shut up about being number 1'.

Well, yes they do shut up about it. They are only going on about it because some pr1ck told them that this is what they must do for the ad. So your whole punch line is based on a characteristic that you have created yourself with no truth in it.

A fecking woeful ad of the highest order
Report Lix November 12, 2009 7:29 PM GMT
Not so sure the ad is about SA's assumed arrogance.

Think its just sky letting everyone know (mostly non cricket fans) that SA are world No1 (and thus unofficial world test champions) and not the Aussies for once.

How long were Aus No1? gotta be something like 20 years (notwithstanding the blip that gave it to SA for a few weeks in the early 2000s)

worthy of a carp sky ad imo.
Report chumptastic November 12, 2009 7:46 PM GMT
Well, yes they do shut up about it. They are only going on about it because some pr1ck told them that this is what they must do for the ad. So your whole punch line is based on a characteristic that you have created yourself with no truth in it.

I'm going to go out on a limb here Live Forever... you're not a rugby fan?
If you were, you would've noticed during the Lions tour and the subsequent tri-nations that there were a ridiculous number of banner proclaiming the world champions.
W have already discussed on this thread how arrogant saffers are.

Mte, just because you didn't understand the ad doesn't make it a bad one. Let it go.
Report Max and Paddy November 12, 2009 9:34 PM GMT
Live Forever - I happen to know that the bloke behind the ad is a Mr M Hughes of Manchester...
Report mr milk November 13, 2009 10:28 AM GMT
merv lives in manchester now?
Report Live Forever November 13, 2009 3:34 PM GMT
You are right, I don't understand it. And I still haven't seen an explanation on here that justifys it.

South African rugby and its attitude hs nothing to do with SA Cricket. How they handle being world No1 might differ massively. Are we to assume that all English teams are WAG/celebrity/tabloid fodder obsessed, flashy pr1cks because the English football team is?

No.

So how do you make the leap of logic that SA cricket is an arrogant bunch of cloowns when in possession of the title of world number 1?

The only 'evidence' for it is the crp spouted on the Sky ad. An advert written not by a SA cricketer but presumably by an English ad agency.

The 'SA are No1 after years not being so angle' is poor but slightly understandable imo. What riles me though is the Broad bit at the end.

As a 'joke' it offends my comic sensibilities as it is dog$hit. As a point about the attitude of SA cricket is ridiculous because the only 'evidence' it is based on is a crass stereotype of all South Africans being pr1cks (something continued on this thread) and it's only wonk script.

Absolute bo11ocks. I am SEETHING
Report Live Forever November 13, 2009 3:35 PM GMT
* its own wonk script
Report Lori November 13, 2009 4:38 PM GMT
Probably best you don't watch that youtube link LF :D
Report Sterling Morrison November 13, 2009 6:54 PM GMT
Not because they understand D/L I would hazard.
Report mittheimp November 15, 2009 10:49 AM GMT
the current bunch of cricketers dont seem too bad although they do talk about jesus a bit too much.

remember clive rice being interviewed for a documentary about the apartheid and the banning of south africa. In answer to the question
'if the cricketing boycott of South Africa had in some small way hastened the death of apartheid, do you think it was worth it?'

he replied, no, that nothing was worth sacrificing a potential test cricket career.

Thought what a total**!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com