Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Torquemada
18 Mar 20 22:50
| Topic/replies: 4,270 | Blogger: Torquemada's blog
They’re terrifying old people much more than necessary. We all know Coronavirus is a very serious problem, but most channels want to talk up some sort of Armageddon.

Media has caused many extra problems like stockpiling IMO.
Pause Switch to Standard View Should news media be held accountable...
Show More
Report akabula March 18, 2020 11:16 PM GMT
The same media pundits who were calling for the closure of the schools now going full circle and saying it puts a terrible strain on working parents.
Report Just Checking March 18, 2020 11:17 PM GMT
From what I've seen you are correct. Daily Mail online seems to have blown some sort of vavle and is a runaway panic engine.
The days of the stiff upper lip seem to have long gone, it's *****ing embarassing to see how the country is dealing with it.

Personally I don't know what all the complaints are about.
All this sitting around in social isolation feeling guilty as I look at embarassing quantities of toilet tissue, it just reminds me of being a teenager.
Report Ibrahima Sonko March 18, 2020 11:18 PM GMT
Media only care about clicks.
Report Torquemada March 18, 2020 11:22 PM GMT
That’s absolutely correct, Aka. Most news reporters are shameless hypocrites.
Report FATTIEWHITEYSLOVEADRINK March 18, 2020 11:29 PM GMT
The news is getting me down each night
I’m munching away like never befor ffs
Crisps chocolate sweets
Think put stone on in two weeks
Never mind the flu
Obesity level going to be though the roof
When curfew comes out tomorrow
Report ffaith March 18, 2020 11:36 PM GMT
They are puppets.  The mouthpiece of powerful people and interests.  Long gone are the days when the MSM stood for truth and independence.
Report Just Checking March 18, 2020 11:39 PM GMT
akabula
The same media pundits who were calling for the closure of the schools now going full circle and saying it puts a terrible strain on working parents.
--
Exactly, and it's being used shamelessly as a political football. Just look at this forum, those with an axe to grind make things fit whatever angry bullsh1t they want to believe.

And never mind "strain on working parents". Who is the secondary tier support network for parents who need to place a (infected but not showing symptoms) kid with someone? Grandparents perhaps? Could that be it?

Also, given the demographics of old people who predominantly 1.V ote Tory and 2. Voted Brexit, the mentalists without a joined up thought in their heads who believe this is all actually a contrived convenient strategy by Boris to quite literally kill off their voter base in huge numbers need to go get help. Where's the logic? Well they don't like Boris so .. meh .. must be true.
Report akabula March 18, 2020 11:44 PM GMT
All this sitting around in social isolation feeling guilty as I look at embarassing quantities of toilet tissue, it just reminds me of being a teenager.

LaughLaughLaugh

Evening JC. Wife doing her weekly shop told me the shelves were completely bare of toilet rolls. More came in next day but on average were 25p dearer. Same with hand cleansers and pasta funnily enough.
Report SontaranStratagem March 18, 2020 11:51 PM GMT
Italy have it the worst and their numbers are still very low in the grand scheme of things lets be honest

Italy are in line with China, I'm sure our "numbers" will be similar as well

The whole thing is to controlled, the numbers, the whole "flatten the curve" meme being pushed by rich celebrities as well
Report SontaranStratagem March 18, 2020 11:52 PM GMT
"we are going to get through this" being pushed

This time next year this thing will be a distant memory and we'll be getting ready for a summer of sport where the media will be all over it in a sickening way
Report akabula March 18, 2020 11:54 PM GMT
JC
When attacking Boris and his approach they conveniently ignore the cross party/governments involvement in agreeing strategy.
And despite Boris and the scientists constantly explaining how compressing the peak into a more manageable but longer period eases the burden on the NHS and means less deaths they constantly ask why some things weren't done sooner.
Report Just Checking March 18, 2020 11:54 PM GMT
Sainsbury's have a special "old and disabled only" hour first thing tommorow.

I wonder if it was like this in WW2. When I think back to Dads army I thought the Black Market guy was more into selling women's tights than 4 packs of quilted 3 ply. Laugh

Then again with the rise in the number of men who are "differently gendered", maybe a Black Market guy would do a roaring trade in women's underwear to the 2020 Woke-ington on Sea Home Guard Tongue Out
Report SontaranStratagem March 19, 2020 12:00 AM GMT
Some people are taking the absolute pish to be honest

Comments like this

"this is bad, we are going to suffer big time"

Talk about losing your mind before it even gets started
Report dunlaying March 19, 2020 12:02 AM GMT
Is something odd going off on the internet? I am trying to sleep and keep receiving messages about troop movements. We haven't got any troops to speak of as far as I know .
Report SontaranStratagem March 19, 2020 12:03 AM GMT
1200 on their way from Germany as we speak

I mean no expense spared Laugh
Report akabula March 19, 2020 12:05 AM GMT
Some people are taking the absolute pish to be honest

FFS Irony overload Sonta. LaughLaughLaugh
Report SontaranStratagem March 19, 2020 12:07 AM GMT
I ain't taking the pish or losing my mind

I know its a load of BS, we are going to get through this little troopers, raise your fat greasy hands in the air and say YES WE CAN!!!
Report dunlaying March 19, 2020 12:08 AM GMT
It seems to most that you had precious little to lose in the first place . Now run along and dont get breathless .
Report SontaranStratagem March 19, 2020 12:09 AM GMT
How so?
Report akabula March 19, 2020 12:11 AM GMT
We haven't got any troops to speak of as far as I know

I hadn't a clue about numbers so googled.
Apparently The British Army consists of 75,000 regulars and 27,250 in the reserves.
Report mad mad moon March 19, 2020 12:14 AM GMT
I’m watching Preston at the moment, and it’s frankly pathetic.
He had a senior doctor/scientist on, and kept asking him leading questions, expecting him to slag off the government and their advisers.
But he didn’t. He explained each step taken very intelligently, and basically said the government  had done all that could have been expected, given
the ever changing circumstances.
Eventually, looking disappointed, Preston had to resort to asking studio guest Jess Phillips MP to come up with a couple of apocryphal stories about how
some friends who worked in the NHS told her there weren’t enough testing kits etc.
Then some woman showed us some charts on a screen, of a totally meaningless survey , about how long the general public thought the virus would last,
putting the emphasis on the 44pc who thought it would last longer than a year.

Ok, we know things look bleak for the future, but Peston was basically saying we’re all doomed, and if we do survive, the economic future is so bad
we might as well give up now. What a prick!
Report Just Checking March 19, 2020 12:14 AM GMT
If they had 75,000 irregulars it would at least help with the bog roll shortage.
Report Just Checking March 19, 2020 12:19 AM GMT
I grew a passionate dislike of Peston when he was at the BBC.
He LOVED inflating the banking crisis as much as possible, his egotistical slot on the nightly news where he, revelling in the attention, acted as much as possible to stir it.

Totally irresponsible and poor journalism. Total **** end of a man.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- March 19, 2020 12:26 AM GMT
peston was first with the news of banking crisis, which kind of made him.

no structure to world preparation to all this and press falling over themselves to
be kind to governments around the world.

there was so much hype before it arrived on our shores, now they seem unhappy
if they cant report on yet more deaths with league tables about to be published.

stay safe all!
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- March 19, 2020 12:29 AM GMT
we had talk of 40 million becoming infected with expected death toll of 400k in uk

but sadly for news outlets government now hope to keep figure below 20 k which is a bad year for flu
in the uk

the funeral channel on sky has been put on hold
Report akabula March 19, 2020 12:30 AM GMT
He's in love with himself.
I haven't watched him in a long time.
That slow drawn out way he talks is irritating as well.
Report SontaranStratagem March 19, 2020 12:38 AM GMT
20,000 wont be the end result judging by China and Italy, it'll be 5-6000

Its a glorified drill Crazy

I think they realised they had to do all the drastic stuff to sell it to the public, the real higher up elites took it on themselves to take over this operation themselves and shut the facking lot down for effect

Its no good doing a virus pandemic if we can still go to the football and other social events, it defeats the object of the process which is to scare the public into conforming

After this is done people will be on their knees begging for the vaccine
Report SontaranStratagem March 19, 2020 12:45 AM GMT
I'm just concerned how they are going to keep everyone in their homes throughout this

Talk of 18 months? sorry but no one is going to play along that long, 2 months and you just about get away with it

But 18 months is taking the absolute pish
Report SontaranStratagem March 19, 2020 12:47 AM GMT
China only had to do this for 6 weeks?

You ain't getting away with 18 months esp in America
Report 1st time poster March 19, 2020 9:17 AM GMT
not sure if its on purpose or there just a bit thick but dont think the weather babes shouldn't keep telling people this weekend is a gresat weekend for getting out and about for a walk, seems to be a wind up pish take for the elderly
Report John.W.Henry. March 19, 2020 9:23 AM GMT
YES.
Report xmoneyx March 19, 2020 9:26 AM GMT
18 month lockdown

capitalism is dead
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- March 19, 2020 10:11 AM GMT
far from dead, as its disciples will resurrect it as capitalism 2
Report Dr Crippen March 19, 2020 11:18 AM GMT
I grew a passionate dislike of Peston when he was at the BBC.

Notice he speaks normally these days?

His used to speak with long pauses between words which he admits was done for effect and to draw attention to himself.

Like the rest of his ilk, he makes a good living out of stirring the sh!te.

Which covers most of the media - they're just a set of sh!te stirrers.
Report treetop March 19, 2020 8:02 PM GMT
Peston took classes to cure his woefully poor speaking style with the BBC, desperate to keep himself to the fore in the media before joining ITV when he was passed over for a plum job with the BBC. Never liked the man after he shafted Northern Rock and local shareholders after being given sensitive information from a well placed relative in the govt/treasury at the time. Made his reputation at the expense of many decent people. His principle interest in these briefings will be trying to spear one of the speakers to enhance his own image of himself.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com