Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Dr Crippen
26 Feb 19 20:25
| Topic/replies: 49,699 | Blogger: Dr Crippen's blog
Which is not surprising when you look around at all the porky pigs waddling about.

The associated illnesses with diabetes include visceral fat, high blood pressure, clogged arteries, stroke, blindness, foot ulcers, amputations due to nerve damage, kidney disease, gout.

In fact if you're diabetic you're very likely to die as a result of a heart attack. 

Thought I'd cheer everyone up.
Pause Switch to Standard View 1 in 10 over forty now has diabetes.
Show More
Report DenzilPenberthy February 26, 2019 8:44 PM GMT
Those who got in early on the Big Pharma stocks and shares wave must've made a killing.
Report Dr Crippen February 26, 2019 9:10 PM GMT
New customers joining on a daily basis and all treated the same.

High blood pressure - beta-blockers.
Cholesterol - statins.
Diabetes 2 - Metformin.
Gout - Allopurinol.
Obesity - slimming pills, gastric bands.

And if you get a headache or indigestion from taking any of those, we've got tablets for that as well. 

The food industry and the medics have got it nicely wrapped up between them.
The first business makes them ill and the second keeps them alive.
Report DenzilPenberthy February 26, 2019 9:22 PM GMT
The carousel is never ending yesterday saw my uncle for the first time in about 9 months who is in his late 50's and in that time he has been on steroids for a type of Arthritis (forgot the name) which he woke up with one day out of the blue.Originally they were treating him for an underactive thyroid but the tests showed otherwise,anyhow he has ballooned in weight his face is scarlet and so bloated that he can hardly pronounce his words properly Christ only knows what clutch of illnesses will come next didn't have the heart to bring up the state he was in.
Report mouse muldoon February 26, 2019 9:26 PM GMT
2 bottles of red wine a day, sorted. European, not new world sh1te (it's the mediterrainen diet).
Report DenzilPenberthy February 26, 2019 9:27 PM GMT
My uncle looks like Red Wine
Report mouse muldoon February 26, 2019 9:31 PM GMT
That don't sound good Sad
Report DenzilPenberthy February 26, 2019 9:38 PM GMT
It's one of them where you think fcuk what's happened to you? He's gone back quickly makes it is easier to look after your health looking around the family he'd only be about 20 years older than me.
Report Dr Crippen February 26, 2019 9:39 PM GMT
Yes I've know people on drugs for arthritis who say the drugs are worse than the arthritis, one woman I knew years ago refused to take them.
Gout is a form of arthritis.
Report Dr Crippen February 26, 2019 9:40 PM GMT
People seem to take these illnesses as a given these days.

Everybody I know is on tablets for one thing or another.
Report Dr Crippen February 26, 2019 9:50 PM GMT
Keep taking the tablets - your doctor knows best.

So why are we all getting sick when medicine is so heavily funded?

Heart disease, diabetes, cancer, arthritis all on the increase.

What's going wrong?
Report bongo February 26, 2019 10:06 PM GMT
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/news_landing_page/study-reveals-extent-of-type-2-diabetes-risk-for-people-of-south-asian-african-and-african-caribbean-descent

New research findings have shown that approximately half of all South Asian, Black African and African Caribbean people in the UK will develop Type 2 diabetes by the age of 80, compared to only one in five people of European descent.

No surprise that incidence is increasing as the proportion of SA, BA and AC people in the country is increasing. The question is two-fold
1 - why are the people in those groups at greater risk ( they're not noted for being sugar junkies or overweight waddlers )
2 - why is it now apparently forbidden to talk about this ethnic divide in newspaper articles. It's all about blaming fat white natives for eating food that is tasty.
Report bongo February 26, 2019 10:11 PM GMT
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ph35/chapter/2-public-health-need-and-practice

Vulnerable groups

People of South Asian family origin living in the UK are up to six times more likely to have type 2 diabetes than the white population (DH 2001). They are also likely to develop type 2 diabetes 10 years earlier (Nicholl et al. 1986). People of African and African-Caribbean descent are three times more likely to have type 2 diabetes than the white population.
Report DenzilPenberthy February 26, 2019 10:12 PM GMT
Keep taking the tablets - your doctor knows best.

People look at me like I'm from a different planet when I repeat some of the info we've discussed on those Diabetes threads due to the 'trust me I'm a doctor' attitude.

bongo think this has been brought up before the long and short of it is they eat like us now whilst the powers that be continue to peddle the heredity BS as cause for this illness.
Report mouse muldoon February 26, 2019 10:13 PM GMT
Would they benefit from the sea air if they relocated to Exmouth?
Report DenzilPenberthy February 26, 2019 10:18 PM GMT
If they left the Fish and Chips alone aye
Report mouse muldoon February 26, 2019 10:20 PM GMT
Don't tell Twizzle
Report bongo February 26, 2019 10:21 PM GMT
http://www.asiandiabetesprevention.org/what-is-diabetes/facts-and-figures

•60% of diabetics in the world live in Asia.1

•113.9 million adults have diabetes in China, 11.6% of the adult population.2

ο In 1980, the percentage of Chinese adults with diabetes numbered less than 1%.1

•65.1 million adults with diabetes in India.3

ο In some South Indian cities, nearly 20% of the population has diabetes.

And these data come from countries with a population with lower median age than Europe and North America.

We could go to an SHI system of health care which most EU countries have ( Good bye NHS, it's been nice knowing you ), and let market forces sort it out. But the worshippers of the NHS which is our national religion would not permit it. Ok then, we'll just have to keep on paying in, and hiring Public Health England to lecture the white majority that it is mostly their fault and they are the ones who should change their ways.
Report DenzilPenberthy February 26, 2019 10:22 PM GMT

Feb 26, 2019 -- 10:20PM, mouse muldoon wrote:

Don't tell Twizzle

Gotcha,it's like Bletchley sometimes on here

Report edy February 26, 2019 10:28 PM GMT
Ok then, we'll just have to keep on paying in, and hiring Public Health England to lecture the white majority that it is mostly their fault and they are the ones who should change their ways.

Now, I don't know if Public Health England really blames the white majority for bankrupting the NHS through their diabetes, but, in general, is a Public Health agency motivating people to not eat like ill-disciplined pigs, to take some basic care and responsibility in regards to their nutrition, habits,...to...remind people to simply value their bodies instead of living in decadence and banking on getting bailed out by the health care system...really all that bad?
Report Dr Crippen February 26, 2019 10:33 PM GMT
ο In 1980, the percentage of Chinese adults with diabetes numbered less than 1%.1

It's the same story in nearly all of the developing countries, once they start to prosper and can afford to eat the western diet full of animal products, they start getting the western diseases.
Report bongo February 26, 2019 10:36 PM GMT
Yes, for a number of reasons:
1. Because the market system can cover most of this ( i.e. the sort of system operating in most of the EU, except UK and Malta )
2. Because PHE has an annual budget of approx. 6 typical councils - you'd expect some outcome from their nannying to deliver a value approaching the size of their budget. None has been forthcoming. Oh the intention is there, it's the frigging outcomes that are not. And people get taken to court to pay for it all.
Report bongo February 26, 2019 10:39 PM GMT
@Dr Crippen
What's your evidence that Type 2 diabetes is a 'Western disease'?
It might be, but the data says otherwise. The South Asians are catching up in income, and can afford 'western diets', but they are exercising less than westerners, smoking more, drinking less red wine probably ( thanks to the poster who mentioned this ) and have a diabetes prevalence way ahead of western countries, and way way ahead when adjusted for age.
Report Dr Crippen February 26, 2019 10:47 PM GMT
Bongo,

Here Dr Dennis Burkitt speaks about when he came back from Africa, and observed that most of the chronic diseases that filled the hospital beds in the west were unknown in the third world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA1fkVLqhmE
Report edy February 26, 2019 10:49 PM GMT
1. I don't see how a market system makes people value their own bodies more than is the case in a system like the NHS. Just don't see the link there. If you meant that added expenses would take care of motivating people, e.g. Germany's system isn't really any more expensive for disaster of a person that doesn't take any care at all than it is for a health nut because there are hard (and low) caps on what especially chronically ill people have to pay out of their own pockets.

2. Can't really comment on that. I just found it curious to have a go at a public health agency for reminding people to take a little care of themselves.
Report Dr Crippen February 26, 2019 10:49 PM GMT
I don't know about the South Asians specifically.

Perhaps they are more vulnerable to these diseases once they start eating like us?
Report screaming from beneaththewaves February 26, 2019 10:58 PM GMT
Vitamin D deficiency prevails in epidemic proportions all over the Indian subcontinent, with a prevalence of 70%–100% in the general population. In India, widely consumed food items such as dairy products are rarely fortified with vitamin D. Indian socioreligious and cultural practices do not facilitate adequate sun exposure, thereby negating potential benefits of plentiful sunshine. Consequently, subclinical vitamin D deficiency is highly prevalent in both urban and rural settings, and across all socioeconomic and geographic strata. Vitamin D deficiency is likely to play an important role in the very high prevalence of rickets, osteoporosis, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, cancer and infections such as tuberculosis in India.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3942730/

The situation certainly doesn't improve when dark-skinned people find themselves living at our latitudes. Not that it makes much difference when half the population of one sub-group is denied exposure to the sun in any case.

And, at the same time, you have even the pale-skinned British population limiting their experience of sunlight to a waddle across the supermarket car park. Having made sure they've applied sunscreen first, of course.
Report mouse muldoon February 26, 2019 11:02 PM GMT
No excuse for avoiding vitamin D this February.
Report smirnoff2therescue February 26, 2019 11:05 PM GMT
aye its 3 for 2 in Tescos right now mouse LaughLaughLaugh
Report screaming from beneaththewaves February 26, 2019 11:05 PM GMT
Targeted prevention needed to battle ‘severe’ vitamin D deficiencies in Chinese urban populations
19-Jun-2016 By Nathan Gray

The rapidly growing urban population in China may be at risk of severe deficiencies in vitamin D, warns a two-year study of people living in Beijing that calls for ‘targeted prevention’ and supplementation strategies. ... The research team noted that the rapid industrialization of northern China has considerably worsened air pollution, and that this air pollution potentially reduces the penetration of UV-B radiation from the sun.

HTTPS://WWW.NUTRAINGREDIENTS-ASIA.COM/ARTICLE/2016/06/19/BEIJING-POPULATION-AT-RISK-OF-SEVERE-VITAMIN-D-DEFICIENCY
Report screaming from beneaththewaves February 26, 2019 11:06 PM GMT
Sun's not high enough in the sky at this time of year, Mouse, even in the south of England.
Report mouse muldoon February 26, 2019 11:09 PM GMT
Oh well, I got slighly burnt trying today anyway.
Report mouse muldoon February 26, 2019 11:11 PM GMT
To Tescos tomorrow instead then for the offer Laugh
Report DenzilPenberthy February 26, 2019 11:15 PM GMT
Don't buy supermarket vitamin D it's shyte,if you want owt go here

https://www.naturesbest.co.uk/vitamin-d/?sessionid=3b194fc04cc8949912fb2cb356b8cfbf456964ae
Report mouse muldoon February 26, 2019 11:16 PM GMT
What's the difference?
Report smirnoff2therescue February 26, 2019 11:19 PM GMT
one tablets orange..... the others mandarin LaughLaughLaugh

nee idea tbh -
Report mouse muldoon February 26, 2019 11:19 PM GMT
Laugh
Report mouse muldoon February 26, 2019 11:20 PM GMT
I like the fizzy orange jobs but those is C not D
Report Dr Crippen February 26, 2019 11:22 PM GMT
It's usual to take Vitamin D3 with K2.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves February 26, 2019 11:23 PM GMT
The point about the height of the sun is that nearly all the UV-B radiation in sunlight (the radiation which synthesizes vitamin D in the skin) is absorbed in the layer of ozone in the stratosphere. It's only when the sun is high in the sky, and the length of the journey through the ozone layer is reduced, that enough reaches the ground to have any effect on us.

So, it won't be for another week or two that even those of us in southern England can start synthesizing vitamin D, and even then only around midday. The temperature, and degree of tanning, have nothing to do with it
Report DenzilPenberthy February 26, 2019 11:24 PM GMT

Feb 26, 2019 -- 11:16PM, mouse muldoon wrote:

What's the difference?

The Natures Best ones are absorbed much better and are of Pharmaceutical grade whereas the Tesco ones aren't basically and you won't absorb what you put in which is the main priority whatever vitamin you take it's a false economy scenario.

Report smirnoff2therescue February 26, 2019 11:31 PM GMT
me mate who has recently been thru the ringer wiv his knee/sepsis episode -and now needs a knee replacement due to arthritis complications was just the other day telt he had type 2 diabetes symptoms on back of a blood result from the docs - trouble is he is 11st wet thru if lucky and his bloods were well off kilter due to his recent probs and yet they insisted he was on his way....... god help us all if thats the case

Had plenty doc surgeries past 3 yrs and hav even seen wivin my own surgery docs disagreeing wiv wot was best wiv me re high blood pressure /cholesterol issues .

Only good thing that came out of my chemo last Feb-April was that it cleared up my psoriasis on my scalp as all my hair fell out and yet now some 12-13mths later it has returned in abundance on my scalp despite eating and drinking well ........ so imo its all in our individual genes PlainPlainPlain
Report Dr Crippen February 26, 2019 11:33 PM GMT
There's a lot of actinic keratosis about these days, that's a  precursor to skin cancer caused by exposure to the sun. And of course the real thing.

You can't win.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves February 26, 2019 11:34 PM GMT
It's not just vitamin D deficiency which lack of sunlight causes. You also need the UV-A radiation in sunlight to react with the skin to produce nitric oxide. NO2 widens the blood vessels. Without it you're more likely to suffer from high blood pressure, which brings us back to the diabetes epidemic again.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves February 26, 2019 11:37 PM GMT
Sympathy for smirnoff2therescue. Some things you're just stuck with.Sad
Report Dr Crippen February 26, 2019 11:39 PM GMT
The balanced diet has a lot to answer for.
Report smirnoff2therescue February 26, 2019 11:40 PM GMT
if you took to heart every survey thats ever been published..... how did we ever survive and as ive said b4 the big C  question is totally broken down by all those poor kids that dont make 3-4-5 yrs of age - kids that havent been put to the test by the many "theories" out there CryCrySadSad
Report DenzilPenberthy February 26, 2019 11:43 PM GMT
Was talking recently about the seemingly underweight/healthy weight getting type2 or being pre diabetic and the answer is in the number of adipocytes and how the adipose tissue increases varies from person to person,so in theory if you don't have you could be 10st and have type 2 and be 30st without.
Report smirnoff2therescue February 26, 2019 11:43 PM GMT
i dont want sympathy screaming just some balance ..... as most on hr know i hav been positive thruout and so far its 2-0 to me - got some canny scars and a bald head but still luving life LoveLoveLove
Report DenzilPenberthy February 26, 2019 11:47 PM GMT
At least you'll save a few bob on haircuts - every cloud
Report DenzilPenberthy February 26, 2019 11:49 PM GMT
I'm a Stone Cold Steve Austin look alike too aint been to the barbers since about 2008 ish
Report smirnoff2therescue February 26, 2019 11:50 PM GMT
Denz as someone who nearly died from Sepsis when it got in my hickman line i cant remember what my blood levels were but me pal who "had a dodgy knee" had levels of 360 over woteva in his blood when it shuda been 10 - life threatening- and yet now they hav him as type 2 when he is 11st wet thru - during my recent incarceration at Freeman where its widely believed to be one of best cancer patient hospitals in Europe they took me off no less than 3 tablets i was on

clearly some ones on the make here as they had 3 weeks to check me out LaughLaughConfusedConfusedShockedShocked
Report DenzilPenberthy February 26, 2019 11:52 PM GMT
Big Pharma is real
Report lewisham ranger February 26, 2019 11:52 PM GMT
too much garbage available in the shops, everytime I go to the supermarket and pay for food maltesers and other chocolates are there right in your face, trying to tempt you with more sugar, no wonder there's so many fatties now.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves February 26, 2019 11:57 PM GMT
Good man, smirnoff.

Just before Christmas I visited a woman I was a student with, who I hadn't seen for 30 years, and who's being treated with chemo for ovarian cancer. The idea was to cheer her up, but she really didn't need cheering up. It was, she said, a 'sh1tty' thing that's happened, and she gets tired, but there's all her life to live around it.

In fact, with me being deaf, and the chemotherapy having apparently left her voice too squeaky for dictation apps to work, she had to write down the bulk of her half of the conversation. So, there was no point in either of us being sympathetic or looking for sympathy. You just get on with it.
Report smirnoff2therescue February 27, 2019 12:04 AM GMT
totally agree wiv that outlook  screaming - 1st two chemo events i endured half "the crowd" had already given up but there was a young lass there who had a mild form that she only had to spend two hours or so wiv - mine was a full day then 2 days afterwards wiv a bottle attached to me - but she gave me so much more hope than others in the group that she kept me going LoveLove
Report DenzilPenberthy February 27, 2019 12:07 AM GMT
Is that what it's like several patients sitting together?
Report Dr Crippen February 27, 2019 9:53 AM GMT
It's a fact that dark skinned people are less able to absorb the benefits of sunshine due to their dark skin.
Report unitedbiscuits February 27, 2019 2:38 PM GMT
Quarterly immigration figures inc EU/nonEU breakdown published tomorrow.
Report Dr Crippen February 27, 2019 7:58 PM GMT
Can't see the point UB is trying to make there.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com