Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Mr Eboue
26 Feb 19 17:39
| Topic/replies: 26,470 | Blogger: Mr Eboue's blog
I don’t drink coffee but every now and again I’ll pop into a coffee shop for a hot chocolate or tea.

I cannot believe the prices! Today I paid £2.95 for a very poor hot chocolate. Some of the more exotic coffees were even more expensive - almost four quid!

And it gets worse - a very small slice of cheesecake was £3.75

A chocolate muffin £3.25

A tiny pizza (it was the size of the palm of your hand) was £4.95!
Pause Switch to Standard View High street coffee shops - biggest...
Show More
Report Get me a drink February 26, 2019 5:46 PM GMT
Yes, I went in one called 'Costa' and it lived up to it's name.

Funny thing is it was doing a roaring trade, must be making fortunes out of mugs (if you'll pardon the pun)

The Mrs loves the place! Scared
Report Mr Eboue February 26, 2019 5:49 PM GMT
I must say I found it very strange seeing teenagers buying coffee on their way to school. Each one was handing over three quid for a latte - probably using their lunch money.
Report acey deucy February 26, 2019 5:50 PM GMT
I just hate being stared at when I walk past these damn places.AngryAngry
Report superjudge February 26, 2019 5:55 PM GMT
a chocolate muffin 3.25 scandLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughalous
Report SlippyBlue February 26, 2019 5:59 PM GMT
I don't drink coffee either Mr.E. I'm more than happy with a mug of strong tea in the local cafe which is 70p.
Report Baphornet February 26, 2019 6:05 PM GMT
70p!!!!!!
Report pumphol. February 26, 2019 6:15 PM GMT
Laugh
Report SlippyBlue February 26, 2019 6:16 PM GMT
I know, it's an outrage but that's London prices for you Mischief
Report pa lapsy February 26, 2019 6:17 PM GMT
Coffee(albeit filter) in pret in Stanstead airport,99p take a bow,feck the muffin.

This sounds so old and i won't say desperately sad (maybe verging), but won't people be better off getting a flask and putting their coffee money what they spend in a week towards ther mortgage\/,it would knock years off it.
Report FOYLESWAR February 26, 2019 6:31 PM GMT
£2.95 a cup ! fook sake yer can get a jar of gold blend intstant coffee for around the same price , but the mugs who frequent these places must be loaded or fookin stupid as op says if ya want a coffee and a cake ya wont get much change from a tenner . up thier bollax i say !
Report Mr Eboue February 26, 2019 6:34 PM GMT
I used to work with a girl who would drink three large lattes a day (£3 a pop).

She was always wondering why she was skint...
Report 1st time poster February 26, 2019 6:44 PM GMT
love this one
my mates works away a lot likes a coffee in costa
out with his wife one saturday went to costa for 2 coffees couple of sandwiches,cake came to about £16
lady said do you no you,ve got about £40 on your loyalty card would you like to use that
he said yeh,do you mind telling me how much ive spent to get that £40 please,she said no problem £1300 LaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report SontaranStratagem February 26, 2019 6:49 PM GMT
People go into Costa heading into work as well

I mean that's all you need before going into work, a mug of sludge down your throat
Report pa lapsy February 26, 2019 6:53 PM GMT
The only other alternative at times is a slap of a wet tea towel across the puss.(or heavens forbid an energy drink).

You could be a bit fecked just trying to live your life but work interfers,a crutch needed?
Report Jack Hacksaw February 26, 2019 6:59 PM GMT
Spoons.

£1.10 for as much of the stuff as you can drink.
Report Baphornet February 26, 2019 7:04 PM GMT
do they clean the pipes?
Report wit-ham February 26, 2019 7:13 PM GMT
M8 ran a pub and it pissed him off no-end
that people would moan like hell paying £3.20
for a pint but would happily pay £4 for a latte
out of starbucks or costa
Report Emitdeb February 26, 2019 7:14 PM GMT
Often find myself thinking about my next coffee.. These things are addictive and they have me... BlushSad  I LOVE COFFEE.
Report Whisperingdeath February 26, 2019 7:15 PM GMT
I have some experience

Rule 1. drink from a paper cup as it stays hot for longer

From my extensive research Cafe Nero do the best coffee from a chain but they don't want to pay UK tax so I will not be filling their dividend payments.

The best value imho is a bacon and sausage roll with a cappuccino from Greg's for two pound fifty. The coffee is averagely ok and the sausage and bacon roll with Houses of Parliament sauce is kwality. Why would you pay 2.95 for a coffee om it's own.

Finally Aldi do a bag of coffee for 1.09. Ok not the best but decent enough! Get up, make your coffee at home and take it in a vacuum flask and ffs stop whingeing!

My favourite coffee is Java Sumatra blue lingtong fwiw with a shot of brandy in it! in the morning!
Report Jack Hacksaw February 26, 2019 7:33 PM GMT
I hardy drink any coffee, and, I just don't get the coffee craze - but you can have your Greggs with a cup of tea.  You can get some egg in with your bacon too.

Unbeatable value.
Report Jack Hacksaw February 26, 2019 7:34 PM GMT
Oh yeah, and I hate those great big thick cups they give you.

For £3-4 you should have bone china as a minimum requirement.

I also appreciate the tip about paper cups, WD.
Report Whisperingdeath February 26, 2019 7:43 PM GMT
further to that Costa Coffee is never hot enough and at about 2.30 from a garage is no value at all!

Believe it or not MacDonalds is ok now. Best value is double sausage and egg MacMuffin breakfast meal with a hash brown for 4.10. Will fill you up till lunch and the coffee is more than acceptable! I think a cappuccino is about 1.60-1.70
Report bongo February 26, 2019 10:43 PM GMT
Lidl are selling a bottle of red wine for £3.29 from Thursday
Far better value
And you can get drunk. Excited
Report lewisham ranger February 27, 2019 1:08 AM GMT
coffee in these places awful as well.

better off going to an independent. probably just as expensive but at least the coffee won't taste like the bottom of a swamp.
Report cooperman February 27, 2019 6:34 AM GMT
No coincidence that former Starbucks CEO, Howard Schulz is a billionaire.
Report jed.davison February 27, 2019 7:57 AM GMT
Coffee is pure filth. £4 a cup LaughLaugh
Report 1st time poster February 27, 2019 10:01 AM GMT
agree with jack hacksaw regards thick rimmed mugs disgusting to drink out of,starbucks undrinkable out of their mugs
whats the difference between a flat white and an americano ?

remember the days when some coffees were made with boiling milk instead of boiling water, are any of these fancy coffee,s using boiling milk
I,m an americano,plain coffee and used to pay about 70p for mcdonalds coffee near work and perfectly acceptable
Report Callisto-moon February 27, 2019 10:07 AM GMT
a glass of collective dairy kefir followed by a glass of coldpress pink
lady apple juice and a handjob is by far the best start to the day

you cant put a price on it.
Report Callisto-moon February 27, 2019 10:12 AM GMT
do mcdonalds still do the maple syrp pancake things?
Report donny osmond February 27, 2019 1:43 PM GMT
durham cricket charge £180-£2.50 a cup, but theres a sports centre attached has a coffee machine
that serves nice fresh ground coffee in paper cups for £1.00 ...Love

i quite like macdonalds coffee....pancakes are a breakfast item...
Report donny osmond February 27, 2019 1:43 PM GMT
£1.80 not £180, lol
Report Callisto-moon February 27, 2019 2:33 PM GMT
ive realised if you are single the handjob part of it might be expensive.
Report Injera February 27, 2019 3:29 PM GMT
The coffee and a chat thing I sort of get but still wouldn't bother.

The coffee on the run makes even less sense. Most seem to be office types that I guess have a kitchen in their building. Can't they wait a while?

Very clever by the coffee companies though. Come up with dozens of variations of the same filth and make people think they can't reach work without a cup.
Report johnizere February 27, 2019 4:21 PM GMT
Amusing to see workers carrying a cup of coffee around town on their way to work. Some hold it out in front, like some kind of trophy!
Guess it's a statement thing.
Report johnizere February 27, 2019 4:22 PM GMT
Used to be a bottle of water held for all to see.... times change.
Report donny osmond February 27, 2019 4:36 PM GMT
drinking it through a hole in the lid is a funny one to me

they may as well stick it in a bottle with a teat on, and get nanny to burp
them on arrival at work
Report Shanelee1966 February 27, 2019 5:24 PM GMT
Filter coffee in London only £1.00 in Pret, all over the place too.
Report Callisto-moon February 27, 2019 5:39 PM GMT
mugs.
Report McCoy Carp February 27, 2019 5:43 PM GMT
Frickin Costa Costa on the ground floor of my local hospital!
Report Do wah Diddy February 27, 2019 6:19 PM GMT
I used to look at people who had flasks and sat on forms to drink what was in them and to eat their own sanwhiches .I USED TO THINK TIGHT BA**ARDS

NOW I THINK GREAT THEY WONT BE TAKEN FOR A RIDE
Report Whisperingdeath February 27, 2019 6:32 PM GMT
drinking it through a hole in the lid is a funny one to me

Not that funny when the driver thinks it would be funny to brake hard just as you are about to slurp. Still goes all over the place but not as much as from your own cup with no lid.

I used to think buying coffee was a waste of money. 50p of the 2.50 goes in vat for a start. I could buy a 225g pack of ground coffee from Aldi for about 1.85 it is now 1.09

Having said that I am 55yo if I want a cup of coffee I will have a cup of bloody coffee although I don't like to buy it from Non UK Tax payers like Starbucks or Cafe Nero. I would rather use a small independent but generally as I am a tightarse I get it from Gregs with a bacon and sausage roll for 2.50 or go the double sausage and egg MacMuffin  and coffee for 4.10 rather than pay from 2.30 upwards for just a cup of sheepdip.

I no longer drink instant coffee unless I have no option. I would rather pay hard cash for a fresh cup than a free one at a works canteen or kitchen.
Report donny osmond February 27, 2019 6:51 PM GMT
get a better driver whispering Mischief
Report Charlie February 27, 2019 7:10 PM GMT

Feb 26, 2019 -- 6:59PM, Jack Hacksaw wrote:

Spoons.£1.10 for as much of the stuff as you can drink.

Spoons by us is excellent. 95p (might even be 85p not sure) for as many refills as you want.

It's Lavazza which you can have in various forms and all are very good:

Our Lavazza coffee choices are cappuccino, latte, flat white, white coffee, Americano and espresso, ...

Report blackbarn February 27, 2019 9:45 PM GMT
Havn't bought a cup of coffee outside my home for twenty years. One cup of double espresso out of our Nespresso machine first thing sets me up for the day - Dharkan is my current favourite.
Report Whisperingdeath February 27, 2019 9:57 PM GMT
Anyone remember Camp Coffee?

Heard some disturbing news about the son of the founder of the Greggs Empire today.
Report Jack Hacksaw February 27, 2019 10:13 PM GMT
I am proud to say that I didn't know what a Flat White was until I heard a McDonalds ad on the radio.
Report blackbarn February 27, 2019 10:18 PM GMT
Camp Coffee - I remember the smell!!   Actually I only learned fairly recently that it ain't coffee at all. I am amazed my mum bought it, given that when she was in service she used to grind coffee beans daily for the evening coffee.
Report CLYDEBANK29 February 27, 2019 10:24 PM GMT
They've got to cover rent, rates and wages amongst other things.  If they didnt charge what they did they'd go out of business.  Price of food gone up over the last 18 months aswell.
Report themightymac February 27, 2019 11:46 PM GMT
£58 per person, with a FREE glass of Champagne (aka Fizzy Water), at the Ritz is tremendous value.
Report akabula February 28, 2019 12:52 AM GMT
A lot of miserable feckers on here.
When out and about it's good to have a sit down for a coffee.
£3/£4 nothing for a decent coffee in decent surroundings.
Report themightymac February 28, 2019 12:59 AM GMT
Gamblers are like that. Stick 200 on a bet, moan about paying a couple of quid for a coffee. I tip the staff more than the coffee costs.
Report Johnny_Mustang February 28, 2019 8:20 AM GMT
Have you lot got no shame? Moaning about the price of a coffee - embarrassing scenes.
Report Jack Hacksaw February 28, 2019 9:44 AM GMT
'Gamblers are like that. Stick 200 on a bet, moan about paying a couple of quid for a coffee. I tip the staff more than the coffee costs.'

50p ew actually.
Report Callisto-moon February 28, 2019 10:16 AM GMT
bloody rent boys the lot of u.
Report Callisto-moon February 28, 2019 10:18 AM GMT
sorry im angry today.
I spilt my pink lady juice during my hand job.
Report Johnny_Mustang February 28, 2019 10:26 AM GMT
Shame there was nobody there with you to clean it up.
Report Callisto-moon February 28, 2019 10:44 AM GMT
the wife would not clean up as she had to go shopping.
Report Callisto-moon February 28, 2019 10:45 AM GMT
you are the king renter mustang.
Report McCoy Carp February 28, 2019 10:59 AM GMT
akabula
28 Feb 19 00:52
| Topic/replies: 35,104 | Blogger: akabula's blog
A lot of miserable feckers on here.
When out and about it's good to have a sit down for a coffee.
£3/£4 nothing for a decent coffee in decent surroundings.

That's the thing isn't, most of the time it isn't, is it? All they've got to do is open a jar of Nescafe Gold (or something similar,) stick a spoonful in, add hot water, ask whether you want any milk or sugar and job done - but then they wouldn't be able to charge the prices they do would they? Never seen such a pallaver to produce a cup of coffee that in the end tastes like burnt s*** £3 or £4 quid? I'd want a brandy with it for that.
Report Jack Hacksaw February 28, 2019 11:03 AM GMT
Baristas!

WALOFS.

What sort of job is it when you have to have your job title printed on the back of your T-Shirt.
Report Foinavon February 28, 2019 12:30 PM GMT
I agree with Akabula and Johnny Mustang. Embarrassing. I pay £2.10 for a double espresso and can sit in comfortable surroundings reading my Kindle while Mrs F does her shopping. How much do people pay to sit in noisy smelly pubs? I would rather have a coffee.
Report Lady Faye Verrit March 1, 2019 9:54 AM GMT
How much is a coffee from a "Costa" machine?

There is one in the "Tesco Express", and there appear to be two sizes of cups, but nowhere do I see a price!

I know it's not going to be cheap, but I've seen all manner of folks, including school kids, buying it!
Report donny osmond March 1, 2019 10:06 AM GMT
coffee will be cold by time mrs has finnished shopping
Report lfc1971 March 1, 2019 10:21 AM GMT
schoolchildren drinking coffee should not be allowed ! , broken Britain
Report lfc1971 March 1, 2019 4:59 PM GMT
I like coffee and I like tea
and I love alcohol , don’t confuse one with the ither
just 3 pints this afternoon and with nothing to eat except porridge for breakfast early this morning
So I feel just nicely , it’s been like that for hundreds of years in Britain
My gosh don’t let it change
Report onlooker March 1, 2019 6:56 PM GMT
Cannot comprehend the dim public's fascination with paying £3-4 for a cup of coffee ...

When you can buy a whole Jar of the stuff for the same flaming price!

Worse still - the Posers who walk down the street - like politicians on the way to meetings etc - who have a cardboard coffee cup in their hands ... as if it is some sort of 'effing TROPHY - that states I am so busy, and 'important, that I have not got time to stop for a coffee.

Affected egotists.
Report blackbarn March 1, 2019 8:31 PM GMT
I wish to support the illustrious band that is Foinavon, Johnny Mustang and even Aka Wink. Decent coffee is a rare treat and quality is imv commensurate with price.
I only drink at home mindCool as posted below.
Report akabula March 1, 2019 8:44 PM GMT
onlooker a £4 jar at home is of no use when out and about.
I'd imagine the difference in cost v selling price isn't much different for beer and coffee.
As someone else hinted at you get a better type of person in the coffee shops.
Pubs full of labourers and farmers. Wink
Report Lady Faye Verrit March 1, 2019 8:45 PM GMT
A very good point from Foinavon....

I would still like to know what school kids (albeit private school kids) are paying for "Costa" to go....
Report lybertyne March 1, 2019 9:20 PM GMT
£3 x 5 days = £15

£15 x 48 weeks = £720

£720 = a wad of 36 £20 notes.

Little things add up.  Same goes for time.  10mins on the bog = 60 hours + 50 minutes over the course of a year (that's 9.50pm Friday night to 10am Monday morning).
Report mouse muldoon March 1, 2019 9:25 PM GMT
Lybertyne is definitely the go-to man for defaecation related poasts this evening.
Report blackbarn March 1, 2019 9:30 PM GMT
Aka - "onlooker a £4 jar at home is of no use when out and about.
I'd imagine the difference in cost v selling price isn't much different for beer and coffee.
As someone else hinted at you get a better type of person in the coffee shops.
Pubs full of labourers and farmers. Wink".

Firstly I am staggered that Onlooker drinks coffee out of a jar.

Secondly, you disappoint me, as soon as I hold out the slightest wand of reconciliation and inclusion to you, you throw it back in my face. "Labourers and Farmers" ffs.  You should have your testes removed with a rusty bushing hook for thatWink
Report Lady Faye Verrit March 1, 2019 10:11 PM GMT
Little things certainly do add up!

I can't drive east out of the village without crossing two railway barriers.

If I only make one trip per day that is 730 times per year....

Typically the chance of being stopped is circa 1 in 3 ish....

Therefore 243 times per year...

Some times just one train, but regularly two trains, sometimes even three, if there happens to be two service trains and one
coal, cement or whatever goods train!

A conservative average stop is four minutes...

243 x 4 = 973

Therefore I spend 16 hours per year sitting at a level crossing!

Let me say that I always switch off the engine, but few do, so there can be twenty vehicles at each side, including HGVs and busses,
wasting fuel, which is surprising for the commercial vehicles, other than that most won't care, unless they are owner operators!
Report Lady Faye Verrit March 1, 2019 10:16 PM GMT
correction *one of two barriers...
Report lybertyne March 1, 2019 10:50 PM GMT
I used to have 2 teaspoons of sugar in my tea.  One day, a few years ago, I worked out that it amounted to 15kg of sugar over a year.  Just in my tea.  Took me a couple of days to get used to not having sugar in my tea but it was worth it.
Report akabula March 1, 2019 11:25 PM GMT
Okay Blackbarn I'll apologise to any labourers I've offended. Happy
Report blackbarn March 1, 2019 11:52 PM GMT
Aka - us farmers will take it unhappily on the chinLaugh
Report Lady Faye Verrit March 2, 2019 10:28 AM GMT
I've had workmen here asking for two spoons, and one asking for three!

They get half of what they ask for...
Report SontaranStratagem March 2, 2019 10:50 AM GMT

Feb 28, 2019 -- 12:59AM, themightymac wrote:

Gamblers are like that. Stick 200 on a bet, moan about paying a couple of quid for a coffee. I tip the staff more than the coffee costs.

We need all the pennies for that 4:00 at Catterick Wink

So we can moan when it loses, its what we do innit

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com