Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
The Leopard
18 Feb 19 10:15
| Topic/replies: 42,330 | Blogger: The Leopard's blog
BBC News now !
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Labour Split !
Show More
Report The Leopard February 18, 2019 10:16 AM GMT
Luciana Berger

Chris Leslie

So far ...
Report The Leopard February 18, 2019 10:16 AM GMT
7 MPs in total !
Report The Leopard February 18, 2019 10:23 AM GMT
BBC :

Seven MPs have resigned from the Labour Party in protest at Jeremy Corbyn's approach to Brexit and anti-Semitism.

The seven - who are calling themselves the Independent group are: Chuka Umunna, Luciana Berger, Chris Leslie, Angela Smith, Mike Gapes, Gavin Shuker and Ann Coffey.

Ms Berger said Labour had become institutionally anti-Semitic and she was "embarrassed and ashamed" to stay in the party.
Chris Leslie said the party had been "hijacked" by the far left.
Report anxious February 18, 2019 10:30 AM GMT
Goodbye and good riddance
Report PorcupineorPineapple February 18, 2019 10:32 AM GMT
Finally. Wonder if this lot will actually act like a proper opposition.
Report The Leopard February 18, 2019 10:35 AM GMT
Are they going to pull more to split ?
Report The Leopard February 18, 2019 10:40 AM GMT
A mike is open when it shouldn't be...bad sound
Report 1st time poster February 18, 2019 10:46 AM GMT
labour voters ,voted for Brexit because of the likes of chukka
Report The Leopard February 18, 2019 10:48 AM GMT
BBC countering with Owen Jones !
Report 1st time poster February 18, 2019 10:51 AM GMT
car crash tv angela smith wants the voters to tell her what to stand for, erhm its the other way round love
Report macarony February 18, 2019 10:52 AM GMT
If they are anti brexit why did they not join the LDs?
Report The Leopard February 18, 2019 10:57 AM GMT
Their aim must be to cause an avalanche of splitters from Corbyn.
Report 1st time poster February 18, 2019 11:01 AM GMT
I heard the piece on sky about anti semitisim the other day in a london council where a councillor had an opinion that some in the jewish community were trying to stir trouble within  the party,it was just his opinion but led to complaints of anti sem and an inquiry, no wonder there were 900 complaints if everyones opinion you disagree with results in a complaint, not comparing thiswithnthe abuse berger and others receive online
Report paulypaul February 18, 2019 11:03 AM GMT
Corbyn must be hating this...Good!
Report politicspunter February 18, 2019 11:03 AM GMT
He will be loving it.
Report 1st time poster February 18, 2019 11:06 AM GMT
for people of my age,we must remember this is bullying 2019 snowflake style
Report jed.davison February 18, 2019 11:07 AM GMT
Paulypaul obviously believes Corbyn has some interest in running the country and not simply divesting the Labour Party of its moderates. How foolish.
Report paulypaul February 18, 2019 11:16 AM GMT
I couldn't give a flying one Jed.
Report impossible123 February 18, 2019 12:11 PM GMT
The chance of Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbot clan in Government has all but extinguished; the dimmest of flicker left - a playing card falling over that's all it needs to kill it off totally.

No Cooper, Benn or Burnham; Chuka? Who's he?
Report anxious February 18, 2019 12:16 PM GMT
you must be delighted impossibe? will you be joining and supporting this gang of seven ?
Report anxious February 18, 2019 12:17 PM GMT
I mean are you still Labour as you constantly tell us or are you now with these cowards
Report 1st time poster February 18, 2019 12:20 PM GMT
theres plenty of people who left labour because of blair,iraq war,mass immigration, London elite, none of these 7 would get your ear for a nano second ,regards any of them issues, they must be targeting centrist tory voters
Report impossible123 February 18, 2019 12:34 PM GMT
Supporting these 7 self-serving former Labour MPs? No, I've more respect for my bin men unless they resign and seek re-election as independent MPs;they must also give up their MP salaries.
Report SontaranStratagem February 18, 2019 12:42 PM GMT
So they leave Labour then? if not then what is the point? I bet they don't leave fully either as that would mean no big salary and expenses Tongue Out
Report SontaranStratagem February 18, 2019 12:43 PM GMT
Corbyn needs to get a proper front bench ffs

He was close last time with that shower of a front bench
Report alun2005 February 18, 2019 12:48 PM GMT
Labour even temporarily sacked Abbott from the opposition front bench on the eve of the 2017 election (under the cloak of her reported illness) as they were terrified that she alone might lose them the election.

A week later, when they had lost, she was immediately back in her well-remunerated job (presumably after a miracle cure), despite her disastrous election campaign incompetence.
Report UBLE/REGY February 18, 2019 12:54 PM GMT
When people talk of ant Semitism are they sure this is what they mean?

There is something called anti Zionism which believes modern Israel should not have been created.

I am anti Zionist, although I accept Israel is now here to stay, as a reality.
Report Crisp77 February 18, 2019 12:58 PM GMT

Feb 18, 2019 -- 12:48PM, alun2005 wrote:

Labour even temporarily sacked Abbott from the opposition front bench on the eve of the 2017 election (under the cloak of her reported illness) as they were terrified that she alone might lose them the election. A week later, when they had lost, she was immediately back in her well-remunerated job (presumably after a miracle cure), despite her disastrous election campaign incompetence.

That's a bit unfair Alun2005. Of all the MP's, Abbott has the 10th highest majority Laugh

Report 1st time poster February 18, 2019 1:02 PM GMT
from some of sky coverage and reports in guardian,basicaly anyone saying something anti jewish makesyou anti semetic ,like saying lots of black kids in London involved in knife crime makes you a racist instead of just been correct
Report Just Checking February 18, 2019 1:02 PM GMT
People may have voted for her in some London sh1thole, but in the rest of the UK she is an electoral liability.
Report SontaranStratagem February 18, 2019 1:14 PM GMT
Abbott is given a safe labour seat

Similar to Esther McVey really, she was given a seat that wont ever be anything other than tory
Report Dotchinite February 18, 2019 1:32 PM GMT
Not much of a split. Seven out of 250 odd. Havent even bothered to form a party. All pretty embarrassing really.

Corbyn will be pleased to lose his biggest critics.
Report terry mccann February 18, 2019 1:48 PM GMT
Tory MP"s leave the Labour Party tat ta thenHappy
Report mouse muldoon February 18, 2019 1:54 PM GMT
Diane said it was 1% of the parliamentary party.
Report samosi February 18, 2019 1:57 PM GMT
They have been watching  to much of (The Magnificent Seven) hoping that droves will join there posse,when they realise they are outgunned they will realise they where not that Magnificent.
Report alun2005 February 18, 2019 2:46 PM GMT
Oh dear. An inconvenient outburst from this morning's press conference gets aired on the BBC.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/fed-bbc-accidentally-broadcasts-audience-comments-labour-split-press-conference-121951548.html

https://order-order.com/2019/02/18/bbc-broadcasts-fcked-moment-labour-split-event/
Report 1st time poster February 18, 2019 3:06 PM GMT
angela smith car crash day continues all over social medis about her describing non white people as colour of FUNNY TINGE, could see her resigning by end of day never mind starting a new party ,she,s had an absolute nightmare, a foookng loon of the highest order
Report Crisp77 February 18, 2019 3:12 PM GMT
The problem with being the party of diversity is that you try to please everyone and you end up pleasing no-one.
Report jollyswagman February 18, 2019 3:21 PM GMT
is this angela smith's play to be equalities minister in a new government? Crazy
Report aaronh February 18, 2019 3:26 PM GMT
For someone as dumb and incompetent as Corbyn, his opponents time and again sure do make fools of themselves
Report 1st time poster February 18, 2019 3:27 PM GMT
so far today she,s said
she,ll let voters decide what policies any new party should have
she told her voters to vote for her because no chance of Corbyn been elected at last election,that would have been a nice conversation on the door step if labour had won a few more seats Laugh.
and non whites have a funny tinge colour,
sounds just like the trust worthy mp we all need, NOT Laugh
Report alun2005 February 18, 2019 3:29 PM GMT
The problem with being the party of diversity is that you try to please everyone and you end up pleasing no-one.

Indeed.  (Not that they are too keen on trying to please white, patriotic, law-abiding people).

Who would have thought that The Progressive Party of Tolerance, the Party of Kinder Gentler Politics should come to be regarded as "institutionally racist" ?
Report Mick Sturbs February 18, 2019 3:32 PM GMT
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan says he's "distressed" with the recent resignations from fellow Labour MPs, adding it is important party members "stick together". .Laugh
Report Injera February 18, 2019 4:16 PM GMT
I'm obviously a bit dense....how are they allowed to leave Labour bur remain as MPs?? There has to be 7 by elections, shirley?
Report Vubiant February 18, 2019 4:19 PM GMT
They still stand for what they stood for. They didn't leave the party -the party left them .
And they wouldn't stand for that . HTHGrin
Report Injera February 18, 2019 4:25 PM GMT
Grin

As for Angela Smith's 'funny tinge' comments...

Maybe she was a fan of Richie Benaud's suits: the cream, the bone, the white, the off-white, the ivory, or the beige? Laugh
Report aaronh February 18, 2019 4:27 PM GMT
There are a few who have already resigned the whip and there were no by-elections.

Also, the 7 are technically a group rather than an actual party so that could be the difference.

Should there be? Maybe. 6 of them had huge majorities. Smith had 1.3k, Tories probably should try pushing for it there
Report alun2005 February 18, 2019 4:32 PM GMT
More from Smith. She's clearly not had enough yet for one day.

https://order-order.com/2019/02/18/angela-smith-posts-grovelling-funny-tinge-apology-video/
Report jed.davison February 18, 2019 4:34 PM GMT
Every Party needs a Diane Abbott.
Report aaronh February 18, 2019 4:35 PM GMT
https://twitter.com/AdamRamsay/status/1097526761515028482

good list of suggestions about what this group could have done to not look mugs on Day 1
Report Injera February 18, 2019 4:36 PM GMT
Chit Chatters get banned for 'mis speaking'...
Report aaronh February 18, 2019 4:39 PM GMT
i'm sure the intelligent men and women of chit chat mean what they type Happy
Report 1st time poster February 18, 2019 4:40 PM GMT
strange she couldn't find the funny tinge wording when the roitherham child abuse gangs were rampant and stayed in party when her colleague was sacked for trying to air the problem
Report SontaranStratagem February 18, 2019 5:09 PM GMT
They've all quit but still getting paid, still sitting in on parliament, still claiming expenses, still with labour

But they've quit

Only in make belief world of politics eh
Report Injera February 18, 2019 5:15 PM GMT
As aaronh says - huge majorities for 6 of them. If there were to be by-elections, it would be interesting to see who the people want. The sitting MPs or Labour...
Report aaronh February 18, 2019 5:19 PM GMT
the answer would highly likely be Labour although without being clued in on any of the constituencies, it's hard to say if they have strong local popularity or anything like that.

Them refusing to have a by-election gives an easy attack to those who oppose the 2nd referendum they call for
Report Injera February 18, 2019 5:26 PM GMT
Very good point about the second ref!

They may well be excellent MPs and serve their people well. If they are THAT popular they could hold on with reduced majorities.

I think they need to set up a new party. Without that few if any will be keen to join them.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves February 18, 2019 5:31 PM GMT
Presumably they'll still carry on voting with Labour in the Commons, so what's the issue?
Report SontaranStratagem February 18, 2019 5:32 PM GMT
Screaming

They've quit in name only, like anything going on at the moment its all theatre
Report RacingCert February 18, 2019 5:33 PM GMT
Len McLuskey is spot on when he says they didn’t get elected on the basis of their charisma.
Quite right but funny coming from him.
Report 1st time poster February 18, 2019 5:33 PM GMT
nick boles already said non
gape already slagged lib dems off,
wheres this going think they've been led down the garden path by souboury,grieve and co,
once brexits over they,ll have nothing in common with torys and agree with all labour policy, basically resigned over online bullying, although smith already proved she,s a racist today, so how does chukka [ uncle tom ] think about that Laugh
Report RacingCert February 18, 2019 5:35 PM GMT
Ex chief whip and deputy leader Tom Watson respects Berger’s decision and says he doesn’t recognise the Labour Party any more.
That must start lab supporters thinking but perhaps not those who post on here.
Report 1st time poster February 18, 2019 5:37 PM GMT
mcdonald got pelters last week for suggesting berger was getting deselected for plotting to leave the party,asked her to say she wasn't
she didn't he was proved right
Report 1st time poster February 18, 2019 5:39 PM GMT
the left didn't regognise  their party when slimmy Mandelson was blissfully happy with people getting filthy rich whilst the poor got poorer
Report impossible123 February 18, 2019 5:40 PM GMT
The Gang of 7: I cannot think of a bunch of misfits more than this lot - a replica of the shadow front bench politically. Where will they sit during QT or Parliamentary session? Behind the Speaker or Mr Corbyn with a zombie knife?
Report screaming from beneaththewaves February 18, 2019 5:41 PM GMT
Exactly.

It's all very well presenting themselves as heroic, because they're refusing to swear that oath of loyalty which the Labour leadership was demanding yesterday. But if they then carry on supporting the current Labour leadership in the Commons, they might as well have just sworn to obey Corbyn unto death anyway.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves February 18, 2019 5:42 PM GMT
*To Sontaran
Report 1st time poster February 18, 2019 5:43 PM GMT
is chukka the new groups pc to the funny tinge brigade Laugh, or is he there on merit Laugh
Report pumphol. February 18, 2019 5:56 PM GMT
UBLE/REGY    18 Feb 19 12:54 

Yes just as well you have accepted it, it would be awful if you lost any sleep over it.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves February 18, 2019 6:20 PM GMT
Within living memory there was a virtually 100% successful project to murder every single person on Earth who could be called Jewish. And with the survivors having finally succeeded in establishing a safe haven, at least some people have managed to accept it's "now here to stay, as a reality".

That just leaves the British Labour Party which apparently can't.
Report impossible123 February 18, 2019 6:33 PM GMT
^^
The British Labour Party headed by Mr Corbyn only!
Report screaming from beneaththewaves February 18, 2019 6:49 PM GMT
And its MPs. And its 500,000 members. And its millions of voters.
Report UBLE/REGY February 18, 2019 9:41 PM GMT
pumphol.
18 Feb 19 17:56
Joined: 29 Jul 04 | Topic/replies: 50,804 | Blogger: pumphol.'s blog
UBLE/REGY    18 Feb 19 12:54 

Yes just as well you have accepted it, it would be awful if you lost any sleep over it.

We all have our principles, even me

I stand by my belief Israel should not have been created, the land belonged to the Palestinians Arabs.

Although I do not blame the Jews for wanting their own country.

I have nothing against the Jews personally..I am not anti semetic.
Report Whisperingdeath February 20, 2019 12:38 PM GMT
The Hateful Eight appear to me as self serving without an appetite for the fight. Both major parties will be having to fight the Nazis in their midst and these jokers have cut and run.
Report jed.davison February 20, 2019 1:22 PM GMT
You will find me on various threads on here calling out the anti-semitism within certain sections of the Labour Party SCBTW, but it is a mistake and a gross calumny to suggest the problem exists within the entire Party - it is a NW London-centric issue in the main.
Report Dotchinite February 20, 2019 1:27 PM GMT
Funny you refer to them as the "Hateful Eight" given the reason they have left is they are sick of the hateful figures that dominate the Labour party nowadays.
Report jed.davison February 20, 2019 1:30 PM GMT
It's always good to know exactly where one's interlocutors though, don't you think?
Report jed.davison February 20, 2019 1:30 PM GMT
should be a 'stand' in there somewhere, apologies.
Report anxious February 20, 2019 7:21 PM GMT
Some embarrasing garbage on here lately , a few mps run off and they are lauded has heroes and prophets of all that is good and true , if they are so confident resign your seats and fight a by election , do people want society run by the establishment and their friends forever
Report saddo February 20, 2019 7:41 PM GMT
Spiv boy Hatton could have replaced one of em, suspended so soon.Cry
Report Just Checking February 22, 2019 4:12 PM GMT
It's amusing and telling that people fleeing the Labour party because they say it's
1. It's antisemitic
2. It's been taken over by hard left extremists
3. Corbyn is totally unfit to lead the country
is so COMMONPLACE and mundane now, I don't even see a mention of today's rodent jumping the sinking ship on todays chit chat!

LaughLaughLaughLaugh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com