Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Jayco
30 Sep 17 20:29
| Topic/replies: 1,354 | Blogger: Jayco's blog
After speaking with a Polish guy today i have made my mind up to visit this city. I could google or go on trip advisor but thought i would ask here first if anyone has any hotel recommendations. I will be going with my wife and therefore do not need any strip club or brothel related replies. Also i want to visit Auschwitz whilst there.
Show More
Report G Hall September 30, 2017 8:49 PM BST
I would also like to visit Krakow but don't know much about it,would be very interested in how you get on, I would be taking my wife Bologna is another place that interests me.
Report Just Checking September 30, 2017 9:13 PM BST
There is a good and famous (but strangely not so famous here) underground salt mine that is imho worth the visit. If short of time or just time efficient there are trips that do Auschwitz and the mine on the same day, I think they are out same direction.
Report Wannawin. September 30, 2017 9:20 PM BST
Visited a few years ago. Can't remember the name of the hotel we stayed at  but one good tip I can give you is make sure you do not stay at a hotel near where the trams run. They run all night  and kept us awake.
Report pumphol. September 30, 2017 9:44 PM BST
Went two years back, lovely place, really cheap at the time, stayed at a lovely hotel but sadly no idea what it was called, Auschwitz & Birkenau are visited in one trip & the Salt mines are truly amazing.
Any hotel just off Main Square will probably do the job.

Enjoy
Report Just Checking September 30, 2017 10:19 PM BST
Krakow is unusual as most of it is intact from ww2, Warsaw and other cities were levelled so the "old warsaw" you see on tv, like that recent bbc 2 ww2 drama with the guy from dr who, they are reconstructions. I didn't like the Schindlers list factory that much though I'm not saying you shouldn't go, but you can visit the old Jewish quarter and see where the forced ghetto was etc. There are a few synagogues, one I thought was pretty nice, if you would visit such things.
Report pumphol. September 30, 2017 10:26 PM BST
This is purely a personal view but I expected to be more moved than I was at Auschwitz, it was packed out & you were moved along far too quickly for my liking by our guide, you had very little time to take it all in, my advice would be if you could get there & spend time on your own you may get a better experience, I found Birkenau more moving to be honest the bleakness of it & what happened there moved me far more.
Report Just Checking September 30, 2017 10:32 PM BST
I went in full summer Aus was mobbed. If it's mobbed they have to move you fast or there would be a huge log jam, different time of day/year might be better. Birkenau is obviously much bigger and seemed to have less people anyway.
Report pumphol. September 30, 2017 10:51 PM BST
People I know who went in winter time found it an altogether different experience.
Report bigH October 1, 2017 7:59 AM BST
Lovely city - any hotel just back off the main square would be ideal
Report G Hall October 1, 2017 10:26 AM BST
Pump when you say a different experience in winter do you mean better
Report terry mccann October 1, 2017 10:37 AM BST
f ing cold I think he might mean
Report Tallywagger. October 1, 2017 1:46 PM BST
Stayed a few years ago at Hotel Copernicus on the oldest street in Krakow. Lovely hotel, perfect location. There's an English guy who can pick you up from your hotel and does tours to Auschwitz and Birkenau. Found him online.

There was a lovely little restaurant down from our hotel that had the huge bread filled with stew. Amazing on a cold night. And chateaubriand was tremendous value.

Hope you have a great time.
Report gresty241 October 1, 2017 2:03 PM BST
Great city to visit, if you want to avoid the majority of the stag do's go midweek, i found the Schindler museum on the outskirts of town very interesting the jewish district and synagogue, the castle and it's cathedral over looking the river, main square and it's cathedral with plenty of places to eat or drink all worth visiting. Must say krakow was the best of the polish cities i have been too although i do not think they have utilised there river at all very well. Enjoy Cool
Report mega88 October 1, 2017 2:45 PM BST
If ever up that way I can highly recommend Torun as another beautiful city, the birthplace of Nicolaus Copernicus and the city is renowned for it's variety of beautiful ginger cakes as well which are delicious I may add.
Report pa lapsy October 1, 2017 3:00 PM BST
Stayed in the "Betmanowska" hotel for 3 nights a few months ago,situated on the main square itself,it was also very reasonable.
A train,then a 15 minute walk made it very easy from the airport.
We liked Krakow,agree with above about the Schlinder muesum, Aushwitz/Birkenau are heavy enough going.
We won't be spring chickens as such but ended up in "lost souls alley" some experience and you will see a side to your wife you never knew existed.
Nice city overall and you can't really go wrong as it is compact enough.
Report toonangel October 1, 2017 3:00 PM BST
is it any good for people with walking difficulties? i.e on the flat etc cheers in advance
Report pa lapsy October 1, 2017 3:24 PM BST
All flattish,think there was a few cobbles around,i personnally wouldnt think it is that bad,maybe a tram to Schlindlers mueseum or Jewish quarters though.
Report treetop October 1, 2017 4:50 PM BST
Great city,a large public square that is a delight to meander around and have a coffee,we enjoyed(?) visiting Auschwitz ( big impact for me) and Schindlers factory,almost unchanged.Very little chance of getting attacked in eastern europe,much better than Marseilles they reckon !
Report Jayco October 1, 2017 4:57 PM BST
Thanks everyone for the info
Report Tallywagger. October 1, 2017 5:02 PM BST
Put Budapest on your list if you haven't been already.
Report Des Pond October 1, 2017 5:37 PM BST
Can't go wrong in Eastern Europe. I don't think I've visited an East European City that I haven't enjoyed. Although the pound doesn't go very far nowadays, even in the East.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com