There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Monkey Boy:The Directors Cut
02 May 14 21:47
Date Joined: 26 Jun 04
| Topic/replies: 868 | Blogger: Monkey Boy:The Directors Cut's blog

Love the whole thing but make sure you read until the end.

One of the original g-men.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
sort by:
per page
Replies: 5
kenny mann
When: 05 May 14 17:36
Crikey, what a guy!

Walter R. Walsh, a world-class marksman who shot clothespins off laundry lines as a boy and went on to become an F.B.I. legend in shootouts with gangsters in the 1930s, an Olympic competitor and a trainer of generations of Marine Corps sharpshooters, died on Tuesday at his home in Arlington, Va. He was 106.

His son Walter confirmed the death.

Mr. Walsh was still winning handgun awards and coaching Olympic marksmen at 90, and aside from some hearing and memory loss, he was fit and continued to live alone at home. At the centennial of the Federal Bureau of Investigation in 2008, he was recognized not only as the oldest living former agent, but also as older than the organization itself by more than a year.

He joined the F.B.I. in 1934, a short, feisty James Cagney tough guy fresh out of Rutgers Law School. A natural left-hander, he was already a dead shot who could cut the center of a bull’s-eye at 75 yards with a rifle and blaze away at moving targets with a pistol in each hand — an enormous advantage in a bureau that was just breaking in its first class of agents authorized to carry guns.


Mr. Walsh was still winning handgun awards and coaching Olympic marksmen at 90, and aside from some hearing and memory loss, he was fit and continued to live alone at home. Credit William Vanderpool/American Rifleman Magazine
“I thought to myself, This might be a good outfit to tie up with,” Mr. Walsh recalled in an NPR interview in 2008. “I am not trying to pin medals on myself, but the people in the F.B.I. knew that I was very handy with firearms.”

It was the age of gangsters in Depression America, of John Dillinger, Bonnie and Clyde, Baby Face Nelson, Ma Barker and the Brady Gang. There were rub-outs on the streets of Chicago, holdups in countless banks and running-board gun battles. Post offices were plastered with public enemy posters, and newsreels featured the scowling F.B.I. director J. Edgar Hoover.

Mr. Walsh quickly rose to prominence. In his first year, he discovered the body of Baby Face Nelson, who had killed two agents in a shootout in Barrington, Ill., and, although mortally wounded, got away. The F.B.I. mounted a multistate manhunt, and Mr. Walsh found him in a ditch in Skokie, Ill.

Two months later, on Jan. 8, 1935, he captured Arthur (Doc) Barker, Ma’s son, who was wanted for bank robberies, three murders, two kidnappings and a jailbreak. Mr. Walsh picked up his trail in Chicago and confronted him near his hide-out. There was a chase, but Barker slipped on an icy sidewalk and fell. Mr. Walsh ran up and stuck his .45 behind Barker’s ear. “Don’t move, Doc, or I’ll kill you,” Mr. Walsh later recalled saying.

“I asked him, ‘Where’s your heater, Doc?’ ” Mr. Walsh said. “He said, ‘It’s up in the apartment,’ and, ‘Ain’t that a hell of a place for it?’ I said: ‘No. You’re lucky, Doc.’ ”

Sent to Alcatraz, Doc Barker was shot dead by guards when he tried to escape in 1939.

Mr. Walsh’s most famous case ended the Brady Gang’s cross-country crime spree two years later. While the F.B.I. refused to discuss what happened, wire service reporters as well as the local police provided eyewitness accounts of the final shootout.

On Oct. 12, 1937, Mr. Walsh was in the sporting goods store Dakin’s in Bangor, Me., posing as a gun sales clerk and waiting for Public Enemy No. 1, Alfred Brady, and two gunmen, James Dalhover and Clarence Lee Shaffer.

Wanted for four murders, 200 robberies and a prison breakout, they had been in the store days earlier and were returning for Thompson submachine guns. But a large force of federal agents and state and local police officers were waiting in ambush, hidden in cars, storefronts and offices across the street.

Continue reading the main storyContinue reading the main story

The gang’s car drew up at 8:30 a.m. Dalhover got out and entered the store. He was immediately seized and disarmed by Mr. Walsh and taken to the back by other agents. Shaffer and Brady, sensing something was wrong, emerged with guns drawn.

Mr. Walsh, meanwhile, approached the store’s front with a .45 in his right hand and a .357 Magnum in his left. But as he reached the door he realized he was looking through the plate glass at Shaffer. The glass exploded as both men fired simultaneously.

Shaffer fell, mortally wounded, to the sidewalk. Mr. Walsh, although hit in the chest, shoulder and right hand, stepped outside firing his Magnum at Brady, who was cut down in a thundering fusillade from all sides as he shot back wildly. Witnesses said he was still moving as Mr. Walsh put another bullet in him.

Mr. Walsh, who killed at least 11 gangsters in his F.B.I. days, competed regularly in national shooting tournaments and broke the world record for centerfire pistol shooting in 1939 at Camp Ritchie, Md., scoring 198 out of a possible 200. He also won the Eastern regional pistol championships in 1939 and 1940.

In 1942, after America’s entry into World War II, Mr. Walsh joined the Marines. For two years he trained snipers in New River, N.C. He requested combat duty in 1944, was sent to the Pacific and joined the invasion of Okinawa in 1945. At one point, with his unit pinned down, he killed an enemy sniper at 80 yards with one pistol shot.

After the war, he briefly returned to the F.B.I. but concluded that his days as an agent were over and turned increasingly to competitive shooting. On the United States Olympic shooting team at the 1948 Summer Games in London, he placed 12th in the world in the men’s 50-meter free pistol competition.

In 1952, he won gold and silver medals with the American team at the International Shooting Sport Federation championships. He won many F.B.I. and Marine Corps competitions and trained Marine marksmen until his retirement as a colonel in 1970. He was the captain of the United States team at the world muzzleloading championships in Switzerland in 1994.

He still did not need glasses.

Walter Rudolph Walsh was born in West Hoboken, N.J., on May 4, 1907, to Walter Brooks Walsh and the former Bolinda Invernizzi. When he was 12, his father gave him his first rifle, a .22-caliber Mossberg. He shot rats in the New Jersey Meadowlands and honed his skills on an aunt’s laundry clothespins.

At 16 he lied about his age, joined the Civilian Military Training Corps and received his first formal training with a 1903 Springfield rifle. He joined the New Jersey National Guard in 1928, won a spot on its rifle team and did his first competitive shooting at national matches at Camp Perry, Ohio.

In 1936 he married Kathleen Barber. She died in 1980. In addition to his son Walter, he is survived by another son, Gerald; three daughters, Kathleen Reams, Rosemary Haas and Linda Walsh; and many grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

In 1997, he won the Outstanding American Handgunner of the Year award.

On his 100th birthday, in 2007, his family served three cakes. One bore the F.B.I. seal, another the five rings of the Olympic Games, and the third the seal of the United States Marine Corps. He was also the guest of honor at a re-enactment of the Brady Gang shootout in Bangor and was given the key to the city.

Three weeks after Mr. Walsh’s 100th birthday, a grandson, Sgt. Nicholas R. Walsh, a reconnaissance team leader with Charlie Company, First Platoon of the First Marine Division, was killed by sniper fire in Fallujah, Iraq.
When: 05 May 14 17:49
Lucky he isn't around to sort out copyright infringement.
When: 05 May 14 19:01
what's so great about it?  Confused
When: 06 May 14 00:18
Great read,i enjoyed it.
kenny mann
When: 06 May 14 00:29
Good. Happy
sort by:
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
‹ back to topics