Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
strontium
21 Jun 21 12:20
| Topic/replies: 3,522 | Blogger: strontium's blog
RP reporting this is under discussion for 2023. Festival to run Tue-Sat with the Gold Cup remanining on Friday.

I sincerely hope they don't go to 5 days, but fear they will.
Pause Switch to Standard View 5 Day festival
Show More
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! June 21, 2021 12:31 PM BST
Only still going on Champion Chase day
Saturday is a ridiculous idea

Silly
Report sageform June 21, 2021 12:57 PM BST
None of the trainers quoted seem to mention that they are ripping off racegoers by reducing the other 4 days from 7 races to six. I doubt if entry charges will be reduced. What are the 2 new races going to be? A 4yo handicap hurdle and a mares only NH flat race confined to lady riders?
Report strontium June 21, 2021 1:03 PM BST
Yes, they should be cutting weak races, not adding new ones.

I guess they would bring back the 2 1/2 miles novice handicap chase that was lost this year.

They might add a veterans handicap chase, or a cross-country handicap chase?
Report ZEALOT June 21, 2021 5:55 PM BST
GREED AND MONEY RUIN EVERYTHING .

The 3 day festival pre 2005 was without doubt the greatest sporting spectacle of the year .  From the turn of the century we had   Monsignor- Hardy - Istabraq- Best Mate - Barracouda - Moscow Flyer etc etc etc , not to mention the fabulous handicaps . Since then the quality has been diluted to death and the top trainers keeping their cards close to heir chests until the very end !!!

Mullins and co taking all the big prices for Vautour in the Ryanair when Ricci clearly stated Gold Cup or nothing . I Always knew this 5 day would happen but not this soon . The folk involved in getting it on have no interest in the sport , they are just greedy parasites that see the £ signs !!

The Festival has been ruined . Make no mistake about it . IT WILL NEVER BE THE SAME .
Report impossible123 June 21, 2021 6:24 PM BST
4-day is stretching it already, and 5-day the elastic band will surely break. Without a doubt the card will be supported by an increase in races of non-importance nor quality; overall racegoer numbers will not increase, but selectivity will.

What a greedy and barmy idea!
Report irishone June 21, 2021 7:10 PM BST
Money grabbing
.....theres a couple of micky mouse races as it is
Why dilute it more ?
Report strontium June 21, 2021 7:58 PM BST
More than a couple. There are five or six races I'd get rid of now.

The Dublin Racing Festival will soon be the highest quality meeting of the year.
Report sageform June 21, 2021 8:23 PM BST
Run the 6 least valuable/important races on the Saturday so that true fans can miss it and go to Uttoxeter instead.
Mares novice, Kim Muir, X country, Martin Pipe conditional and whatever the 2 new races turn out to be.
Better still leave things as they are.
Report irishone June 22, 2021 5:30 PM BST
Galway is the highest quality meeting of the year
Fanny, beer, entertainment, craic ten times better
Report GAZO June 22, 2021 7:51 PM BST
didnt think you meant the racing when i saw highest quality and galway in the same sentence
Report irishone June 23, 2021 10:00 PM BST
Plenty of Galway winners win at Cheltenham
Report Hanx June 25, 2021 10:56 AM BST
For pure class racing, the Dublin Racing Festival is already the best in the NH Calendar.

Cheltenham will just become a social event with some racing tagged on.

I've not missed a day in 25 years (bar Covid restrictions this year) but I won't be going on a Saturday.
Report GAZO June 26, 2021 7:48 AM BST
the top horses from the dublin festival end up running at cheltenham so cant be any difference classwise
Report strontium June 26, 2021 9:44 AM BST
The DRF is pure, undiluted class. The 16 races include 8 grade 1s. The races are stuctured so that if horses want to run they can't dogde others (no intermediate trips to hide in). The only "weak" races at the DRF are, arguably, the mares bumper and the mares handicap hurdle (though that produced two Chelteham Festoival winners this year).

The Cheltenham Festival is full of fluff and filler. Races at intermediate trips and mares-only races allow horses to dodge each other. Most top horses could run in several races. It weakens the competition. Then, there are filler races, like the Cross country, the Kim Muir (a consolation race for the Ultima) and the Martin Pipe (a consolation race for the Coral Cup).

Overall, the DRF is, arguably, already higher quality than Cheltehnam. Meanwhile, it is on an upward trajectory while Cheltehnam continues to head down quality-wise. Less is more.
Report penzance June 28, 2021 3:53 PM BST
greed.Nothing more.
Report irishone June 28, 2021 7:52 PM BST
Yep that is the way it's going strontium
Classé going is a nightmare, he could handle the media as well as the ejits at the BHA
He protected his staff all of whom knew how to read the going stick
He could make good ground be heavy....but every trainer knew the score when they asked.
Report Fashion Fever October 11, 2021 5:35 PM BST
need to introduce a few new races can't pinch them from other days

Saturday  always seems a bit downer so good in that respect
Report strontium October 12, 2021 11:30 AM BST
Would presumably come up with two new races and have five six-race cards.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com