Forums

Cheltenham Festival

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
differentdrum
27 Feb 21 19:53
| Topic/replies: 13,244 | Blogger: differentdrum's blog
Why would anyone run a Grade 1 horse in a handicap rather than a Grade 1 race?

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 53
By:
sageform
When: 27 Feb 21 20:01
Because he is the third best at Elliott's?
By:
impossible123
When: 27 Feb 21 21:29
Unless I've missed news about Duffle Coat the interest in Quilixious could be good news for backers of Duffle Coat, but not backed by market. Or Elliot has confidence in Zanahiyr doing the business.
By:
strontium
When: 27 Feb 21 21:43
It's strange. The Triumph (new course, likely to be a proper stamina test) should suit Quilixios well.
By:
impossible123
When: 27 Feb 21 22:34
What's this about someone impersonating Elliot on social media being investigated by IRHB? Has the person been spouting unauthorised rumours about his runners at Cheltenham eg Zanayiyr running in the Supreme a few weeks ago? And, today the drift in Quilixios in the Triumph? If so, just mischief.
By:
Andymca
When: 27 Feb 21 22:40
Elliott must have a lot of confidence in Zanahiyr, so why win one race, when you can two
By:
Quevega06
When: 27 Feb 21 22:42
Is the ceiling for Fred Winter 145? Surely he won't get in if so...
By:
Quevega06
When: 27 Feb 21 22:42
Sorry Bootles
By:
Bentring
When: 27 Feb 21 23:32
Is there 1
By:
irishone
When: 28 Feb 21 07:55
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9308249/amp/Gordon-Elliot-investigation-image-sat-dead-horse-surfaces.html?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR19BUjuFIuw9dyBTuCCFaq2ORVQhJkOV48rU9KKryUMOdh6gJaRwZY5kxw

Absolutely fake news !
By:
irishone
When: 28 Feb 21 07:56
Gordon has more brains that impossible could ever imagine
By:
buddeliea
When: 28 Feb 21 08:25
Q looks to be heading to the Boodles.
Would make sense, they dont want em all smashed by Tritonic.
By:
Quevega06
When: 28 Feb 21 08:39
Don't think so Benring,  was doubting myself as I can't remember seeing one ever so high in it
By:
Quevega06
When: 28 Feb 21 08:42
Budd it'll take a goodun to beat Zanahyir, that was a piss poor Grade 2 yesterday
By:
buddeliea
When: 28 Feb 21 09:38
Laugh yeah I know , but I was visually very impressed with that yesterday, we shall see whose best in March
By:
irishone
When: 28 Feb 21 09:43
How else could you be impressed budd ?

Taste ? Feel ?
By:
buddeliea
When: 28 Feb 21 09:56
Laugh well I could have been not impressed
By:
Quevega06
When: 28 Feb 21 10:07
Yeah it wasn't bad imo either but clearly an over reaction in the market.. He beat 125 rated horses just as easy as Teahpoo did as well..
By:
Cash Is King
When: 28 Feb 21 10:15
Very much agree with the OP. Elliott can have no way of knowing which of his exciting juveniles is most likely to win the Triumph unless or until they’re given the opportunity to race against each other.

Quilixios is a proven Grade 1 performer who should be well suited to the demands of the New Course. I’d be amazed if he doesn’t run in the race.
By:
Quevega06
When: 28 Feb 21 10:18
I'm on Quilixous and hope you are right.. Regardless if they have a claimer on the Fred Winter or not that would be some performance from a potential rating of around 147.. Also why would you avoid a Grade one for a handicap,  understand you want to keep your horses apart but he could still win the Fred(Bootles) with Teaphoo or Riverie dtele
By:
strontium
When: 28 Feb 21 10:58
Might there be some owner politics going on? Wanting his big new owners to win a Festival Grade 1?
By:
Quevega06
When: 28 Feb 21 11:07
Could well be Strontium, as after the race at Ltown few weeks back thought it was really strange of Elliott and Barry coming out and basically saying Zanahyr is better
By:
Quevega06
When: 28 Feb 21 11:08
Normally they would be less vocal on the matter concerning horses within the yard
By:
irishone
When: 28 Feb 21 18:56
Gordons apologised
Photo four years old
Fake news
Who fecking cares?
By:
cobra sam
When: 01 Mar 21 04:44
yeah hes phone rang so he sat on the dead horse...as u would of course
By:
sageform
When: 01 Mar 21 10:26
At least he didn't flog it.
By:
Andymca
When: 07 Mar 21 20:53
Quilixious out to 16s for this now, must be going for the Triumph instead
By:
differentdrum
When: 08 Mar 21 22:59
https://www.attheraces.com/news/2021/March/08/quilixios-camp-yet-to-decide-between-boodles-and-triumph

If he ends up in the Boodles I don't think I can recall too many more ridiculous decisions in Festival history.

Irrespective of him being much less suited to a cavalry charge on a quicker track (the exact opposite of what they are saying), you just don't run Grade 1 winners in ordinary handicaps out of choice. Until Tritonic appeared he was second favourite for the Triumph.

Of course bookmakers will be laughing as people will be on at big prices for the Triumph, but they were able to put him in much shorter for the Boodles.
By:
sageform
When: 09 Mar 21 12:50
The only one of the Elliott 4yos not entered for the Boodles is Duffle Coat who I still rate the best of them. He beat Adagio and Cabot Cliffs giving weight at Cheltenham back in November on decent ground and is the going why he has not run since? If that form was run today with Adagio now rated 146, Duffle Coat would get 156 which would win most Triumphs. Goshen was given an RPR of 156 after last years race on the basis of what he might have done had he not fallen.
By:
impossible123
When: 09 Mar 21 13:03
It would be a strange decision if Quilixios ends up in The Boodles. He'd be shouldering top weight of 11s 8oz, if so. Would it not be better to skip Cheltenham altogether if connections are not keen of The Triumph race?

Surely, connections are not afraid of Zanagiyr and Forster (Elliot).
By:
strontium
When: 09 Mar 21 13:18
I agree Impossible - if he's going to run at Cheltenham, may as well run in the Triumph rather than lump top weight in a 20-runner handicap. If they think the Triumph might be bad for the horse long-term (as Paul Nicholls often does), wouldn't it be better to skip the Festival altogether?
By:
differentdrum
When: 09 Mar 21 13:24
If is a problem with the Triumph as a race then why has it taken so long to say anything? Why even enter? None of this adds up. As usual we will be only ones discussing it.
By:
sageform
When: 09 Mar 21 13:29
Zanahiyr is also still in the Boodles with top weight. Hell Red would be my tentative choice if he runs.
By:
differentdrum
When: 09 Mar 21 14:49
I lost two bets on Hell Red for the Triumph. He was the early favourite after the Chepstow win, but he hasn't looked the same horse since. Very disappointing short priced loser last time when Frost spent most of the race trying to get him settled.
By:
impossible123
When: 09 Mar 21 14:52
I think Elliot was adamant Zanahiyr was Triumph bound unless new management have decided otherwise since.
By:
duffy
When: 09 Mar 21 15:07
new managementLaugh
By:
impossible123
When: 09 Mar 21 15:34
I cannot really refer to incumbent as "monkey" given the issue that precipitated a regime change.
By:
sageform
When: 09 Mar 21 18:56
The Triumph would seem to be the target for Zanahiyr but so it was for Quixilios? Just pointing out that they are all in the Boodles including Teahupoo and Youmdor.
By:
Andymca
When: 09 Mar 21 20:47
Quilixous out to 16s on here again
By:
differentdrum
When: 09 Mar 21 21:04
De Bromhead says he will run in the Triumph. Mad not to.
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com