Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
differentdrum
09 Feb 21 13:17
| Topic/replies: 13,012 | Blogger: differentdrum's blog
https://www.attheraces.com/news/2021/February/09/nolan-seeking-winning-opportunity-for-latest-exhibition

Given that he is very likely the second best staying novice chaser I am a little surprised Nolan seems to be waving a white flag. On two of three Monkfish defeats he hasn't been a million miles away.

For whatever reason I don't think he quite ran up to scratch at the weekend. If he were mine I would have one last crack at Monkfish and if that failed then have a crack at the Punchestown Stayers Hurdle.

Perhaps they wished they had entered him for the Stayers Hurdle?
Pause Switch to Standard View Sounds As If Latest Exhibition Is...
Show More
Report Nogoody February 9, 2021 3:27 PM GMT
my God,how selfish can they be? What about my bets ?
Seriously though, you can't blame them for thinking this way after Sunday. We all know the definition of insanity.
Report buddeliea February 9, 2021 5:30 PM GMT
So we have the 2nd best 3m novice chaser in Ireland not running.
Lets hope the trainers here dont think the same!!
Would like a race to watch.
Report differentdrum February 9, 2021 6:30 PM GMT
I understand that Monkfish does look very good, but Latest Exhibition did give him a race on two of their three meetings and probably didn't run to his best at the weekend. The Festival Chase has been his target all season. Yes, it is likely Monkfish will beat him again, but on a different track and ground not entirely certain. What happens if Monkfish doesn't perform on the day and a lesser horse than Latest Exhibition picks up the pieces? As above it could very well end up being a smaller than usual field.
Report jimnast February 9, 2021 7:56 PM GMT
could part of the reason be the owners may not be allowed to go and even if they can its not going to be the same,just a thought either way its a shame he is such a good horse.
Report cloone river February 9, 2021 9:25 PM GMT
Maybe they keep him fresh for Punchestown in April.
Report jimnast February 9, 2021 9:40 PM GMT
hello cloone any thoughts on when you might get crowds back ?
Report cloone river February 10, 2021 8:58 AM GMT
Cant see crowds back for the whole of 2021 sadly.
Report layingisthewayforward February 10, 2021 2:30 PM GMT
Crowds will be back in the summer 100%
Report jimnast February 10, 2021 4:14 PM GMT
blimey cloone Sadhope laying is right as i am sure you do,

surely some summer crowds perhaps back to no crowds in the winter who knows.
Report cloone river February 10, 2021 7:06 PM GMT
Will be very surprise in Ireland to see crowds back this year.Hope I am wrong.Last weekend was hard missing out on Leopardstown.Was probably the two best days national hunt racing in a long time.
Report Hibore February 10, 2021 7:34 PM GMT
Cheltenham are still hoping to have 2000 members in March.
Report jimnast February 10, 2021 8:15 PM GMT
that would be good hibore fingers crossed

very hard indeed cloone and yes probably the best two days in a long time,no reason why 2022 cant be as good,

standout performance ?

you can only pick one
Report cloone river February 10, 2021 9:05 PM GMT
They is so many.Give  me a few minutes.Only one?
Report differentdrum February 10, 2021 9:08 PM GMT
Perhaps if you started another thread?
Report jimnast February 10, 2021 9:15 PM GMT
differentdrum ?
Report cloone river February 10, 2021 9:23 PM GMT
Honeysuckle.Only sorry I didnt back it for the champion hurdle before the weekend.
Report jimnast February 10, 2021 9:28 PM GMT
great she is going for the champion hurdle and obviously the right decision,i still think quite a bit of the horse she beat,mine was monkfish i just thought it was a simply perfect performance and he also beat a good one in latest exhibition,
Report jimnast February 10, 2021 9:31 PM GMT
the jockey has nothing to prove but it would be nice if she won a champion hurdle .
Report cloone river February 10, 2021 9:40 PM GMT
Monkfish would be up they along with Energumene.Another thing about the weekend was how impressive Mullins horses won.Roll on Cheltenham.
Report jimnast February 10, 2021 9:46 PM GMT
the bumper winner and dublin chase winner dont get a mentionSurprised
Report cloone river February 10, 2021 9:51 PM GMT
Only one.
Report jimnast February 10, 2021 9:51 PM GMT
monkfish is on rtv now ,anyone who has backed ballyadam for the supreme still has some hope .
Report Nogoody February 11, 2021 6:35 PM GMT
I like Paul, have great time for him and James but it's time to ask the question.
If the horse had been sold to Joe Donnelly that time, what would Willy do with him?
I know it's an ' if my aunt had balls question ' but would he be taking on Envoi or perhaps be entered in the stayers ?,my own feeling is that Patrick would be schooling him for the N.H. chase and he'd be close to fav. for that race.
Report penzance March 5, 2021 9:48 PM GMT
looks like he's going for a race @Fairyhouse.
Report Nogoody March 6, 2021 6:39 AM GMT
would Willie,Gordon or Henry leave him at home ?
Does this mean he won't get an entry for next year's Gold Cup in case he meets Monkfish and Envoi ?
Report buddeliea March 6, 2021 7:39 AM GMT
Maybe its more to do with owners not being able to see him run.
Their will be a fair few horses not going who would do in a normal year, because of that, i would think.

Shame though, we dont want to see horses not going cos they have been beaten by horses in the season, Ballyadam would not be going in that case and many others.

Going to be a strange festival this year.
Report FOYLESWAR March 6, 2021 8:14 AM GMT
agree with op its horse racing and anything can happen  i would have another crack at monkfish at the festival .
Report Jb23 March 7, 2021 10:23 AM GMT
I would have been running him in the NHC personally. He can't match Monkfish's gears over 3m so he sure as hell doesn't have the pace for the Marsh as speculated in the article.

He looked in every need of 3 miles as a novice hurdler and as a sound jumper of a fence, I thought a dour test over an extended 3 1/2 miles would have been exactly up his street.

Would certainly go into the NHC as the class horse of the race.

With that said, Nolan will know more than anyone else, what is right for the horse.
Report differentdrum March 7, 2021 8:04 PM GMT
He is not going, is he? Irish Grand National? Personally, I wouldn't back him because if anything I think he is better over shorter than three miles. Don't think he ran his race last time. Not so long ago he gave a Abacadabras a race over the minimum trip. That's not the performance of a plodder.
Report irishone March 8, 2021 6:57 PM GMT
The horse is an out and out stayer, its allthrough the breeding, ideal for the national hunt chase, codds absence from Galvin may be a factor but there is no indication as yet in the three markets of the races he is entered for .....that he has been withdrawn and we know nolan loves a tilt at cheltenham.
Report GI MAC March 8, 2021 7:08 PM GMT
https://www.racingtv.com/news/latest-exhibition-set-to-stay-at-home-and-wait...
Report irishone March 8, 2021 7:26 PM GMT
Yes I have seen that.

The only thing forthe delay I can think of is if Elliot doesnt get his ones there and the ground aint soft enough for Venetias.

Personally I think with no market movements he should maybe officially withdraw the horse because the above has been stated in many media outlets.
Report differentdrum March 9, 2021 11:49 AM GMT
As regards the pedigree both dam and grandam didn't win over three miles and there are no real out and out stayers in the recent history of this pedigree. Oscar has produced two milers and three milers. The Oscar/Supreme Leader cross has produced other Grade 1 winners at three miles but as far as I can see nothing significant over further.
Report irishone March 9, 2021 4:28 PM GMT
Interesting Nolan won a hurdle at galway with him couple of years back and he stated quite.clearly that he thought the horse woukd stay all day.

He was quoted in the press at the time I see "He is from a staying family and is out of a mare Aura About You who won a Listed hurdle and was third at Cheltenham to Quevega. I think he'll stay all day and I think he will improve a good bit from today"
Report irishone March 9, 2021 4:31 PM GMT
Dam won a limerick.novice chase in soft,heavy over 22f perhaps that was what he emphasised.
Report differentdrum March 11, 2021 2:58 PM GMT
At this stage they have left him in so there is still little hope. Presumably, it is a case that if Monkfish runs they don't?

I think it was Davy Russell last night who was saying they should have a crack. I don't want it to happen but what if Monkfish, for whatever didn't run his race, or didn't complete, and the race was won by a second rater whose connections were prepared to give it a go?
Report impossible123 March 11, 2021 5:32 PM GMT
His participation is Monkfish dependent. I'd give it a go (prize money) esp on better ground. Anything could happen to Monkfish despite holding a small voucher at 7/4 on Monkfish (I'm no fan of connections).
Report FOYLESWAR March 11, 2021 5:36 PM GMT
never be afraid of one horse !................unless his name was frankel !
Report The_LUFCwaffe March 11, 2021 9:56 PM GMT
If the owner has any illusions about Latest Exhibition being a Gold Cup horse, you don’t campaign by avoiding races at Cheltenham.

Latest Exhibition is 8yo, so next year would probably be its only opportunity at the very top level before it starts to naturally regress.

It makes sense to run the horse. Grand Nationals can wait for another year.
Report differentdrum March 17, 2021 3:37 PM GMT
Monkfish way below his best. Surely Latest Exhibition would have gone very close had he travelled? A missed opportunity.
Report Nogoody March 17, 2021 4:44 PM GMT
He'll have to avoid Tiger Roll now in the Irish Grand National, lol.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com