Forums

Cheltenham Festival

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Hibore
31 Mar 20 21:28
| Topic/replies: 2,741 | Blogger: Hibore's blog
We had a good go last year with 12/1 Santini and 14/1 Lostintranslation. More importantly it led to some good conversation and with us in lockdown for months I’d thought I start up the thread.

Al Boum Photo has won two Gold Cups but to me falls into the Best Mate category in that he’s very good but not a world beater. Even if he won next year I wonder where he’d figure in people’s best chasers in the last 20 years. 6/1 not for me

Santini did is proud and ran a blinder to only just get beaten a neck. I’m sure Nico wouldn’t believe his “slowcoach” would have to take up the running 3 out as the pace was collapsing around him. Henderson’s comment since then backs this up and I doubt he’ll leave it to other trainers next season to guarantee the pace. 8/1 surprising he’s that big

Champ ran the most incredible race at this years festival. Looked booked for 3rd until a mixture of tired horses in front and power packed finish gave him an unlikely win. In his races at Newbury and RSA he’s looked in trouble until his strong finish has kicked in (aka Big Bucks) so the Gold Cup looks right up his street. If he could iron out the odd jumping error he could be something special. 14/1

Minella Indo looked impressive for 95% of the RSA. I don’t think the horse is crying out to be upped in trip and doubt they would relish taking on Champ over further than 3 miles. 16/1

Lostintranslation had a great run but seemed to get outstayed in the later stages of the Gold Cup and taking in to account the steady pace it’s unlikely that he would turn the tables on Santini or ABP. As this run came after a PU he might find improvement with a better preparation next year. Not for me though at 16/1.

Topofthegame is top class and could be a big player next season if coming back sound. Interesting to see where he’s campaigned next season. 16/1

Others of note :-

Monalee - didn’t stay well enough
Delta Work - doesn’t jump or travel around Cheltenham.
Samcro - would be fascinating if aimed here. Ryanair most likely.

I’ve already had a couple of bets with Paddy which I think are value at this early stage. I’m expecting the race to very different next season with a truer run race benefiting the out and out stayers. No prizes that Santini is one of the bets with Champ joining him this year.

Santini 8/1 boosted to 8.5/1  -   7 pt EW
Champ 14/1 - 4 pt EW

Will also have 1pt doubles with Siskin in the Arkle @89/1 and 48/1 as bit of fun.

Again I will back throughout the year before they run building up a decent bet and win if one or both get there on the 19th March.

All comments welcome apart from those who think we are nuts backing horses 11 months out.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 18  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 18 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 703
By:
Fashion Fever
When: 31 Mar 20 22:11
probably be a virtual race on itv

champ flying home for the dramatic finish for me is usual
By:
irishone
When: 01 Apr 20 07:36
three years running , written off Al Boum Photo ?

Some people never learn
By:
foxy
When: 01 Apr 20 14:32
Hibore

I thought monalee stayed surprisingly well in the gold certainly proved me wrong.
By:
Hibore
When: 01 Apr 20 16:40
Fox, I wasn’t surprised given the pace of the race. As I said Santini (the slowcoach who wouldn’t keep up) had to take up the lead a long way out. Real Steel looked dangerous 2 out as did Monalee and Lostintranslation....the race was run to suit them. Not many Gold Cups have 7 or 8 possible winners turning in unless they have gone very steadily.

I think Monalee is a grand horse but don’t think he’d have the necessary stamina to beat ABP, Santini or Champ next year with a likely stronger test. .Maybe the Irish Gold Cup or Punchestown would Give him his best shot of a big one. None of the above horses would take him on there.
By:
foxy
When: 01 Apr 20 17:16
Not this season will monalee win at punchestown hibore it was abandoned today,leopardstown possibly he does go very well there.
By:
irishone
When: 01 Apr 20 17:27
Absolute tosh hibore, how do you know the trainers wont send them over ? Again just guessing . covid ,19 has everything up in the air, fixtures will be replanned ,dont know if races will or will not be run later in the year, but you happen to know "none of the above horses would take him on there". Really ? You have no clue what the trainers are planning because at the moment I doubt if they do.
By:
foxy
When: 01 Apr 20 17:28
Including when beating al boum photo in the 2018 flogas.
By:
foxy
When: 01 Apr 20 17:33
I think that’s a pretty reasonable assumption nicky is terrified of sending horses to leopardstown and Mullins is very happy with the tramore route.
By:
Hibore
When: 01 Apr 20 17:55
Thanks for your usual rude and ignorant response Irish. Someone who has 43,000 posts with 42,800 of them trying to belittle people must make you a very popular person.

As I have a horse trained by Henderson I’ll ask him for you and post his reply when I go to Seven Barrows when the restrictions are lifted. But as my horse had its proposed program planned months in advance I’d guess he knows where he hopes Santini will run and same with Champ. I’m pretty sure neither will have Ireland as their 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice but we will see.
By:
irishone
When: 01 Apr 20 18:05
Henderson has sent plenty over befor, he hasnt got a clue at the moment in this situation , gordons just put all his 4 year olds out, what if they put on all punchestown races in may ? You telling me j p aint going to be on the phone ? As soon as the fixtures start getting rearranged i can guarentee  you will find the trainers will be altering their programmes no matter how many were set out months in advance.
By:
foxy
When: 01 Apr 20 18:18
Gordon will be a happy chappy
By:
irishone
When: 01 Apr 20 18:38
Not sure hes made the right move there, means he loses staff and the point to points are no substitute for the racecourse imvho. As hibore said, we will have to wait and see.
By:
foxy
When: 01 Apr 20 19:06
He will be happy
By:
cloone river
When: 01 Apr 20 19:35
Punchestown is not on Irishone.Dont think Gordon is to happy Foxy Willy has beaten him again for trainers title.Other years Gordon would be in the lead at this stage.
By:
irishone
When: 01 Apr 20 19:41
"We had a good go last year with 12/1 Santini and 14/1 Lostintranslation"

really ....did "we" ?

I thought "we" also backed Native River and Delta Work ......

Putting up four horses from a field of twelve all each way ....

months in advance  .....

at a max of 20\1 is hardly as profitable as you claim !
By:
foxy
When: 01 Apr 20 20:11
Cloone river Gordon will comfortably win it next season he will be happy.
By:
cloone river
When: 01 Apr 20 20:17
Would like to see him do it foxy.Barry Geraghty only had 2 winners in Ireland this season hard to believe.For the gold cup I go with Champ.
By:
Hibore
When: 01 Apr 20 20:48
Irish, I’m only backing Santini and Champ for the Gold Cup 2021 and you can post this in 11months.

This year we made a profit and I’m confident we’ll make one next year.

Cloone 14/1 Champ is generous at this stage if you have spare funds to throw at it....
By:
irishone
When: 01 Apr 20 23:03
"This year we made a profit"
The end result of your fantastic achievement
Of putting up santini, lost, n river and delta work for last years gold cup
Was around a 15 point profit from 34 outlay
Hardly worth continually bringing up
Considering others on the forum put up much  bigger priced winners like shiskin, kettle, raven, the coral cup winner etc etc
By:
Hibore
When: 02 Apr 20 10:49
As my mum would say you have an unfortunate attitude. I’ve always been told you should react to people like you with kindness as you don’t know their personal  circumstances. Hopefully the other posters you hound on here will do the same.

If you wish to add value to this forum or topic then you are welcome....if you are only interested in trying to get a reaction by posting then I suggest you’ll have more fun in the horse racing forum with the likes of Burkey and co.
By:
irishone
When: 02 Apr 20 12:38
The fact you refer to the forum as "we" , suggests you see yourself as some kind of leader.( Not that I have any intention of thinking myself as such....lol)

As my mum would say, empty vessels most sound.

Look at what you have said .....
" we had a good go last year"
" santini did us proud"
" well we gave it a good go"

Who is we and us ?

Are you really suggesting that you led everyone on here to lay out 34 units to get a return of 49 units, on the four horses you put up  and then be orgasmic happy as you obviously are.

I see posts on here from people who obviously know what they are at, they dont keep boasting or shouting from the rooftops when they put winners up. Besides the fact you put up four in the race is an indication of exactly how confident you were in Santini winning it.
By:
Hibore
When: 02 Apr 20 13:10
Thanks for your comments. I’ll make sure I don’t do that in future.

Anything else upsetting you ?
By:
impossible123
When: 02 Apr 20 16:14
I hope connections of Presenting Percy embark on a different route next Cheltenham. His limitations had been exposed too many times this season to be running here for the 3rd consecutive time.

I think Santini will need to improve his tactical speed. Similarly, Champ needs to polish up his jumping significantly to be involved at the business end; Lostintranslation looked outstayed; Delta Work made his customary odd mistakes in jumping of last season;.

Where will Samcro go? This race has always been his ultimate aim with perhaps the Savills Chase prior.
By:
irishone
When: 02 Apr 20 16:56
It will be his 5th consecutive appearance at Cheltenham, idiot,  you really need to get back to your village, they are missing you.
By:
GAZO
When: 02 Apr 20 18:46
a bit harsh calling him a idiot especially coming from someone who on another thread that said blowing wind won the champion hurdle
By:
Hibore
When: 02 Apr 20 19:27
That was the year Quixall Crossett won the Gold Cup ?  Crazy
By:
irishone
When: 02 Apr 20 19:36
He knows it was the fifth time though, he is on a wind up screaming for attention, pertemps and rsa were non entity races in the previous years to him gazo. Blowing wind had same yellow and black colours as make a stand, which confused my memory.
By:
Hibore
When: 02 Apr 20 19:42
Screaming for attention....you have to be on a wind up Laugh

On a GOLD CUP thread.

I hope connections of Presenting Percy embark on a different route next Cheltenham. His limitations had been exposed too many times this season to be running here for the 3rd consecutive time.

I think you need read his post again and apologise before he reports you.
By:
GAZO
When: 02 Apr 20 19:45
didnt you read it as 3rd time in the gold cup ? i kind of agree with him on PP although not sure where else he could go
By:
irishone
When: 02 Apr 20 19:56
He reports me ?

After his racist posts
By:
irishone
When: 02 Apr 20 19:57
...and he was talking about cheltenham read it again
By:
cloone river
When: 02 Apr 20 20:32
I think P.Percy would make a good national horse with the way he jumps.Thats what i would aim him at.
By:
Hibore
When: 02 Apr 20 20:35
Midlands ?
By:
irishone
When: 02 Apr 20 21:14
Dont hold your breath Laugh
By:
duffy
When: 02 Apr 20 23:10
Well it won't be the Welsh, Santini would have that for the taking, rolling along through all that slop, he'd be happy as a pig in sh1tMischief
By:
buddeliea
When: 03 Apr 20 05:30
He would not be the first to win the welsh national and go on to win the Gold Cup.
By:
buddeliea
When: 03 Apr 20 05:35
Think Santini will have the same or very similar prep as this season.
By:
GAZO
When: 03 Apr 20 07:05
why would they do much different,you would think he got beat 4 or 5 lengths reading some of these posts
By:
Hibore
When: 03 Apr 20 07:26
Doubt they will go Sandown again. Maybe Betfair or Newbury to start with then Cotswold and Gold Cup.
Page 1 of 18  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 18 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com