Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Mr Eboue
02 Mar 17 14:49
| Topic/replies: 26,470 | Blogger: Mr Eboue's blog
A lovely, bright sunny day here in Cheltenham today.

Bit of a chilly breeze about.
Pause Switch to Standard View Weather updates
Show More
Report buddeliea March 2, 2017 5:23 PM GMT
Cheers Mr E, much appreciated.
Report Arsene March 2, 2017 5:27 PM GMT
ITV Racing weather forecaster Lucy Verasamy expects Cheltenham to receive further rain over the coming days and has warned of the possibility the festival could coincide with both frost and fog.

On Wednesday clerk of the course Simon Claisse reported the Old and New courses to be predominantly good to soft with both having some soft places, but stressed considerable rain is possible up to Saturday week.

A similar view was taken on Thursday by Verasamy, who said: "After a dry winter it has been a wet start to March.

"Cheltenham could see up to another 10mm on Friday, 6mm at the weekend and 3mm on Monday, with smaller, negligible amounts from showers. By the middle of next week it will become drier as pressures builds and turn a little milder, too.

"Come the week of the festival, at this stage there are hints of high pressure that will lead to drier conditions and a chance of colder nights with frost and fog not out of the question."

Claisse, who receives dedicated weather reports from former BBC presenter John Kettley, added: "There has been more uncertainty this year because of the inaccuracy of the weather forecasts. Compared to my other 16 festivals, the forecasts seem to have been so much more inaccurate.
"My comment about John Kettley, who does our forecasting, is he is the least inaccurate, rather than the most accurate, of all the forecasters we follow."

Mr E: Can you let us know if ITV's resident racing weather forecaster gets it right?
Report Mr Eboue March 2, 2017 10:50 PM GMT
Most certainly.

A very clear and cold night tonight.
Report Mr Eboue March 3, 2017 9:53 AM GMT
Horrendous morning. Heavy rain for a few hours now.
Report tommycockles March 3, 2017 9:56 AM GMT
Many thanks for the updates Mr E, much appreciated.
Report Mr Eboue March 4, 2017 1:50 PM GMT
Windy, bright and dry.
Report wellchief March 4, 2017 2:18 PM GMT
You talking about yourself Mr E or the weather?
Report Mr Eboue March 4, 2017 2:40 PM GMT
Laugh I did have a curry last night funnily enough
Report the bloob March 4, 2017 2:49 PM GMT
rain tomorrow and then practically nothing after that, G/S looks nailed on
Report Mr Eboue March 6, 2017 12:55 AM GMT
Dry at the moment comrades.

Still a few puddles about from the heavy rainfall on Saturday.
Report dyno-layer March 6, 2017 10:20 AM GMT
Monthly Outlook
Summary
Spring has sprung
We're now into meteorological spring which began on the first of March as it does every year. We use whole months to make it easier for statistical analysis of the seasons. Through this month we will also enter astronomical spring which begins with the vernal equinox, this year falling on March 20th. Whichever definition of spring you prefer, it's a season which always brings tricky conditions for weather forecasters as we shift from chilly wintry weather towards summer. This transition usually brings us very changeable weather with a heady mix of wind, rain, sunshine, hail showers and even the odd bit of snow.
As we head through March we can expect plenty of unsettled weather with some strong wind and rain for most of us. The latter stages of the month should see things calm down with drier weather on the way.
Monday 6 March—Sunday 12 March
Low pressure systems marching on
This week will start on a dry note for many with light winds and sunny spells. There will be a few showers around across the country but the main exception to this pleasant Monday will be across southwest England and to a lesser extent southwest Wales where heavy rain and strong winds will move in through the morning. This rain will eventually clear in the afternoon leaving a little early evening brightness. Northern Ireland will have a reversal of Cornish fortunes with a dry start but rain moving in later.
Tuesday sets the tone for the rest of the week with a low pressure system running in from the Atlantic. Strong winds will push a band of rain across the country from west to east with some hill snow for Scotland and northern England but also some mild temperatures further south. Once the rain has cleared from Scotland and Northern Ireland, the winds will shift north-westerly and strengthen bringing gale force gusts and showers to the northwest, some of which will be wintry. Further south the rain will take it's time to clear, lingering across southern counties of England and Wales into Thursday.
Thursday brings with it another low pressure system from the Atlantic following a very similar pattern to that of Tuesday's low although perhaps not as windy at first. It looks as though this low pressure system will hang around into Friday with strengthening winds and continuing the unsettled feel into the weekend.
Monday 13 March—Sunday 19 March
Turning chilly
Through the middle of March we keep the theme for unsettled weather going. We're likely to see bands of rain moving across the country from west to east accompanied by strong winds and occasionally some snow for the hills and mountains of northern Britain. The heaviest rain will be focussed on the northwest and driest condition the southeast although everyone will see rain at some point. Temperatures at the start of the week will be average for early spring but later we should see our winds develop a more northerly trend which will bring temperatures down somewhat.
Report dyno-layer March 6, 2017 10:27 AM GMT
Translated... A bit of this ...a bit of that ... no frost.....showers and sunshine..bit of wind....

GOOD TO SOFT...RIDING AS DEAD...

Ideally you want a horse who delivers his best in the spring and who has shown its ability to produce its very best on races run at championship pace at this festival.. That won't help with many of the novice races or the juvenile events but that will find you horses that will more than likely run well again as these conditions only occur occasionally outside of the red hot pace events we get here. There4 u can quickly brush over the current season events and go back over the previous years events and see if you can spot them...I have a few   Hope that helps. Cool
Report Mr Eboue March 6, 2017 11:14 AM GMT
It's like I've woken up in Spain.

Incredible morning - sunny, blue sky. A perfect spring morning.
Report impossible123 March 6, 2017 11:44 AM GMT
Thanks for the daily update 'Mr Eboune' it's been very helpful. Please keep it up!
Report tommycockles March 6, 2017 11:44 AM GMT
CheltenhamRacecourse‏Verified account @CheltenhamRaces 3m3 minutes ago

The going remains as GOOD TO SOFT currently, some rain forecast this week.
Report jokersjow March 6, 2017 1:57 PM GMT
Clerk of the course Simon Claisse does not expect any significant changes to ground conditions with the Cheltenham Festival now just over a week away.

The going is currently described as good to soft on the Old Course, which is used on the Tuesday and Wednesday, and good to soft, good in places on the New Course for Thursday and Friday.

"The forecast remains unsettled, with bits and pieces of rain coming in during the course of the next week amounting to somewhere between nine and 11 millimetres," said Claisse.

"I wouldn't expect much change in the going between now and the start of the Festival. For Festival week we're looking at temperatures of around 10C with little bits of rain here and there.

"But as I've said before, the weather has been so volatile this winter and forecasts change every day, so there is uncertainty, but nothing of concern.

"I haven't changed the ground from Sunday, so it's good to soft on the Old Course and good to soft, good in places on the New Course and the cross-country course.

"We're very happy with where we are. The course looks in fantastic shape."
Report Mr Eboue March 6, 2017 9:56 PM GMT
It's raining.

Quite heavy as well.
Report ronnie rails March 6, 2017 10:14 PM GMT
mr e
off topic has that new wine bar in Montpellier opened
regards
ronnie
Report Mr Eboue March 6, 2017 11:02 PM GMT
Hi mate - not sure which one you're on about. The Montpellier wine bar is still there.
Report ronnie rails March 7, 2017 5:19 PM GMT
mr e I am fine hope you are well
regarding the wine bar it is a new one it was getting  done up when I wes down for the January meeting three doors up from john gordons
Report Mr Eboue March 7, 2017 6:23 PM GMT
I can't say I've noticed pal - I'm up there on Friday so will have a gander.
Report Mr Eboue March 7, 2017 11:09 PM GMT
More rain Plain
Report Minger March 8, 2017 1:36 PM GMT
Mr E ..I thought we were going to get hourly updates???  Much rain today - what is the reading on your going stick ?

Waiting with bated breath .

tnx
Report Mr Eboue March 8, 2017 5:49 PM GMT
A dreadful morning mate but it's cleared up now.

Rain forecast for the weekend then dry from then on is the forecast.
Report Fallen Angel March 8, 2017 5:54 PM GMT
Cheltenham Racecourse

Next Race Meeting 14/03/2017
Report Date 08/03/2017 15:19:00
Official Going Old course: Good to soft, soft in places Cross country: Good to soft, good in places New course: Good to soft, soft in places
GoingStick Old: 6.7 Cross country: 7.3 New: 6.8 on Tuesday at 13:00
Weather:
4 mm of rain Tues/Weds, mostly dry to the weekend when light rain expected 3 to 5 mm.
Report Fallen Angel March 8, 2017 5:56 PM GMT
think the going has worsened just slightly from yesterday but only slight, looks fairly dry tomorrow so maybe the ground will improve slightly before the weekend.
Report wondersobright March 8, 2017 5:59 PM GMT
v little change, as expected the rain that has fallen has pretty much just kept pace with the drainage that the course is experiencing

nailed on g/s ground with some good ground appearing by tues imo, if not before, no soft ground about, like a bowling green as per and quicker than claisse will give it as
Report Mr Eboue March 9, 2017 11:49 AM GMT
A quite stunning spring morn.

Blue sky, sunny and very mild.

The kind of day that makes you happy to be alive.
Report Fallen Angel March 9, 2017 3:43 PM GMT
a vibrant weather commentary. and the following boring statistics :-)

Cheltenham Racecourse

Report Date 09/03/2017 13:15:00
Official Going Old course: Good to soft Cross country: Good to soft, good in places New course: Good to soft
GoingStick Old: 6.7 Cross country: 7.3 New: 6.8 on Tuesday at 13:00
Weather:
Dry until the week-end when light rain expected (up to 3 mm)

no soft in places anymore, be interesting to see how it changes tomorrow given that it has been a dry day.
Report Can't Catch Me March 9, 2017 3:53 PM GMT
You couldnt rule out a bit of watering yet, could you Plain
Report Fallen Angel March 9, 2017 3:55 PM GMT
i was just thinking the same, think its unlikely given the forecast of 3mm over the weekend, might just put claisse off. I would imagine some more good might sneak in tomorrow, been a beautiful day by all accounts.
Report ReaseHeath March 9, 2017 3:56 PM GMT
Good work - for reference Going Stick readings during the meeting last year:

Tues 10.0am   Old 7.0 GS (Soft in places)
Wed 10.0am Old 7.3 Cross Country 6.7 Good (GS in places)
Thurs 9.0am New 7.0 Good (GS in places)
Fri 9.30am New 7.6 Good
Report wondersobright March 9, 2017 4:02 PM GMT
going to be g/s, good in places for the start
will ride quicker than that and be swapped around either during racing on tues or by start of racing weds
watering on new course perfectly possible

no chance for any of the soft ground brigade (again)
Report buddeliea March 9, 2017 7:22 PM GMT
Does that not depend how much rain falls between now and Tuesday??
Report easygold March 9, 2017 8:22 PM GMT
Great news for the horse that will go very well in the G.A
Report paulo47 March 9, 2017 8:30 PM GMT
A few ml on Sun and thats about it till at least Wed , or so the Met Office says .
Report Ibrahima Sonko March 9, 2017 8:34 PM GMT
Indeed, not looking good for soft ground horses Sad
Report buddeliea March 9, 2017 8:43 PM GMT
Weather channel says rain Tomorrow,saturday and sunday.
Report DECALEC March 9, 2017 8:48 PM GMT
There's an actual weather channel
Report buddeliea March 9, 2017 8:56 PM GMT
weatherchannel.com
Report Can't Catch Me March 9, 2017 9:05 PM GMT
Peregrine Run backers getting excited Grin
Report buddeliea March 10, 2017 7:48 AM GMT
Now saying 10% chance of rain today, 20% Saturday and 50% Sunday.
Report tommycockles March 10, 2017 9:07 AM GMT
CheltenhamRacecourse‏Verified account @CheltenhamRaces 31m31 minutes ago

Going update - GOOD TO SOFT.
Dry until the weekend when light rain expected (up to 3mm).
Report Mr Eboue March 10, 2017 12:55 PM GMT
Bit grey out there today lads. No rain as yet.
Report luckyme March 11, 2017 11:58 AM GMT
Any updates, Mr Eboue,

Thanks
Report wondersobright March 11, 2017 1:49 PM GMT
if any good ground appearing today then there's got to be a chance of good, g/s in places by tues

I expected the ground to be soft side of good to soft at this stage, not bordering on good side of good to soft, and I think the market has factored in the rain that was forecast this week and not the rain that has actually materialised
Report geoff m March 11, 2017 1:59 PM GMT
This time last year was supposedly soft ground on the saturday and dried out to good to soft which was in reality probably good
Good looks reasonable punt @ this stage @ the price.
Report wondersobright March 11, 2017 2:05 PM GMT
the problem is this market is what he calls the ground, not what the ground actually is

but if they get just drizzle on sunday then its going to be borderline even for claisse (will be genuine good ground)
Report Mr Eboue March 11, 2017 2:12 PM GMT
Cloudy and dry today. Not particularly warm.
Report geoff m March 11, 2017 2:12 PM GMT
Hes not averse to calling it Good/ Good to soft ip 2004/2005 good good/good to soft ip 2011/2012.
If its forecast a dryish week during the meeting can quite easily see him calling good as the lead as then gives him the pr stance/oppourtunity to unleash his hose pipe during the festival
Report wondersobright March 11, 2017 2:15 PM GMT
he's not averse to it geoff but prefers to call it g/s at the start
Report geoff m March 11, 2017 2:40 PM GMT
Yep thats true wonder all down to how much rain they get tomoz .As Monday looks a superb drying day  sunshine and  14 degrees
Report tommycockles March 11, 2017 3:29 PM GMT
Report Date 11/03/2017 15:25:00
Official Going Old Good to soft Cross country Good to soft, good in places New Good to soft
GoingStick Old 6.3 Cross country 6.8 New 6.5

Weather:
Mostly dry outlook in to next week but with a little light rain on Sunday.
Report wondersobright March 11, 2017 3:34 PM GMT
gone from 6.7 to 6.3 despite no rain??

he's lying
Report wondersobright March 11, 2017 3:35 PM GMT
its weighed in called g/s in that case and I will be working on the basis of normal good ground for my bets
Report tommycockles March 11, 2017 5:25 PM GMT
Cheltenham's clerk of the course Simon Claisse says watering the course is not "in our current thinking" following a spell of dry weather.

Conditions remained unchanged at Cheltenham on Saturday as only a little rain has been forecast ahead of the four-day Festival that starts on Tuesday.

The question of watering has not yet come up, with clerk of the course Simon Claisse at this stage looking mainly towards the beginning of the meeting.

"I'm leaving the old and new courses as good to soft, and the cross-country course is still good to soft, good in places," said clerk of the course Simon Claisse.

"The outlook remains mostly dry, although we might get a little light rain. Watering is not in our current thinking. We are only looking to the beginning of the week."
Report geoff m March 11, 2017 5:30 PM GMT
Lets hope so and we get top class racing on decent ground
Report buddeliea March 12, 2017 9:24 AM GMT
Reckon they will be watering later in the week.
Report tommycockles March 12, 2017 9:40 AM GMT
CheltenhamRacecourse‏Verified account @CheltenhamRaces 37m37 minutes ago

GOING UPDATE: Good to soft. We had 1mm overnight, dry outlook through the week.
Report morpteh mackem March 12, 2017 7:54 PM GMT
bbc weather just been on coutnryfile for week, looking ok, does look to be some rain on friday
Report SEATHESTARS....NO1 March 12, 2017 8:13 PM GMT
It always rains on the Friday every year I go!! Always gorgeous then the day we go it's hoses down!! PMSL WhoopsCrazy
Report Mr Eboue March 12, 2017 9:48 PM GMT
A biblical rain storm hit at about 5:30pm.

The skies darkened and the heavens opened.
Report seary March 12, 2017 9:52 PM GMT
how much rain you recon fell? did it last long?
Report Mr Eboue March 12, 2017 9:55 PM GMT
A good 20 minutes or so mate. Was proper rain as well, none of the drizzle crap.
Report seary March 12, 2017 10:05 PM GMT
cheers for the update mate...weather forecast didnt see that coming did they.
would of done the course the world of good , will hopefully stop the taps from coming on later in the week
Report geoff m March 13, 2017 12:04 AM GMT
0.04 inch recorded @ Cleeve Hill weather station for between 5 and 6
Report geoff m March 13, 2017 8:30 AM GMT
A dry night left the going unchanged at Cheltenham on Monday morning as Simon Claisse and his team prepare for the biggest four days of the jumping calendar.

Conditions remain good to soft on the Old and New courses, and good to soft, good in places on the cross-country track.
Report wondersobright March 13, 2017 10:45 AM GMT
track aint dried out despite the last 3 days being predominately dry

somebody has been watering on the quiet
Report geoff m March 13, 2017 10:48 AM GMT
rained yesterday wonder
Report wondersobright March 13, 2017 10:56 AM GMT
2mm
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 13, 2017 10:57 AM GMT
Hendo said last night plenty of soft spots on the course, hmmmmmmmm I know what I believe
Report wondersobright March 13, 2017 10:58 AM GMT
stick was 6.7 on weds, its barely rained at all and that track dries its nuts off when it doesn't take water

conclusion: has to have watered
Report wondersobright March 13, 2017 10:59 AM GMT
still going 2/11 for g/s PF, already out long before today @ 1/4 but if ever you are going to bet 2/11 surely this is it

and I am not much of an odds on backer
Report wondersobright March 13, 2017 11:00 AM GMT
inconceivable that it won't be g/s, good places tomorrow
Report wondersobright March 13, 2017 11:01 AM GMT
and make no mistake that new course is getting a f ckload of water on it between now and thurs because if they don't that will be knocking on actual good, g/f places by friday with a dry week forecast
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 13, 2017 11:02 AM GMT
then he will water Wednesday night, the rain will come on Friday on watered ground and fack up my Ivanovic Gorbatov punt Cry
Report Mr Eboue March 13, 2017 2:18 PM GMT
Just been up the racecourse. Hard to believe it's mid-March.

Blue skies and really warm sunshine.

The best day of the year so far.
Report tommycockles March 13, 2017 4:39 PM GMT
Report Date 13/03/2017 16:13:00
Official Going Old: Good to Soft Cross country: Good to Soft, Good in places New: Good to Soft
GoingStick Old: 6.0 Cross Country: 7.2 New: 6.4 on Monday at 15:00

Weather:
Dry outlook for the week.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 13, 2017 5:04 PM GMT
So it's gone 6.7 to 6.0 now since the middle of last week with minimal rainfall and mild weather Plain but he hasn't watered, like fack he hasn't
Report seary March 13, 2017 6:04 PM GMT
did everyone miss eboues post last night????
heavens opened.. biblical downpour...hense the going stick being balanced out.
Report wondersobright March 13, 2017 6:23 PM GMT
biblical downpour on the 12th??

they reported 2mm of rain at the course

agree with PF 100% here, with the rain that has fallen, we should have been looking at g,g/s at the softest and 7.0+ at this stage
Report wondersobright March 13, 2017 6:24 PM GMT
leave that place alone with the weather they've had it dries its absolute nuts off
Report Fallen Angel March 14, 2017 12:12 AM GMT
i was wondering about these going readings, it doesn't quite make sense. Must have been some heavy rain, be interested to see the reading tomorrow morning.
Report tommycockles March 15, 2017 4:39 PM GMT
CheltenhamRacecourse‏Verified account @CheltenhamRaces 1m1 minute ago

We will water the New course tonight ahead of racing tomorrow to maintain current conditions - good, good to soft in places. #TheFestival
0 replies 0 retweets 1 like
Report sewter lives again March 15, 2017 9:12 PM GMT
want to back Cole Harden on genuinely good ground not if they water to keep good to soft anywhere in the forecast

I wish they would just leave the ground alone once racing has started on the Tuesday if it's good to firm so be it
Report luckyme March 16, 2017 7:25 PM GMT
Any rain about lads
Report buddeliea March 17, 2017 5:31 AM GMT
10 mm from the hose pipe

Hope not!!!

Wonder how many bets were made without people realising how much watering had taken place?
Report unclepuncle March 17, 2017 7:10 AM GMT
Was insane to put nearly half an inch on. It didn't need anything really.
Report geoff m March 17, 2017 7:44 AM GMT
Was new course uncle which hadnt had the watering he did for the back end last year so was riding faster.
That said 10 mm was way too excessive and why didnt he put it on a day earlier if he wanted that amount
Report unclepuncle March 17, 2017 8:08 AM GMT
He should have put a couple of mm on Tuesday night and another couple on Wednesday night.
Clearly dumping 10mm on had a very big effect - but maybe that is what he wanted?

Have there been any fatalities yet?
Report buddeliea March 17, 2017 8:31 AM GMT
Absolutely spot on Harry
Report kingG111111 March 17, 2017 8:39 AM GMT
What's the track conditions like today then ?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com