Forums

Cheltenham Festival

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 203 comments are related to the topic:
Finians Oscar

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 5 of 6  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 203
By:
sageform
When: 18 Dec 17 16:30
I would take FO to learn to jump fences eventually as he has the scope but Yanworth is short coupled and not suited to fences imo.
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 18 Dec 17 17:12
I think wellchief's post is spot on.

Very good horse, but probably not out of the very top drawer. Couldn't fancy him for any race at the next Festival myself.
By:
eric_morris
When: 22 Dec 17 15:12
Clear as day 2m was too sharp for him last time. He also doesnt attack his fences, he is ok at them but loses ground.
By:
firstimevisor
When: 22 Dec 17 15:30
If the festival was in the next few weeks he would have absolutely no business going there. Nowhere near good enough at present at any trip if this is now his true ability.
By:
eric_morris
When: 22 Dec 17 15:45
Did well to run that well after being messed around only a week ago. Horse doesnt know wtf they want from him.
By:
unclepuncle
When: 22 Dec 17 19:29
Coral Cup?
By:
impossible123
When: 22 Dec 17 22:51
Tizzard: "We'll go up in trip and put some cheekpieces or blinkers on."

RSA beckons, I presume. From 16f, then 21f and perhaps 24f next time - interesting running plans.
By:
buddeliea
When: 23 Dec 17 08:10
Do they know what they are doing?

Looks to me like they are trying to make a chaser out of a horse that may not be enjoying chasing.
By:
FOYLESWAR
When: 23 Dec 17 09:07
he was only narrowly beaten yesterday ,a big improvement on his last run but some horses just dont take to chasing and may be he would be better off back over hurdles. a few come to mind in recent years  who didnt impress  over fences ie big bucks and beuvair dair and going back over hurdles certainly didnt harm them .......
By:
eric_morris
When: 23 Dec 17 09:22
I think 2m5f will turn out to be his best trip as he has the stamina combined with 5 length kick at the end of the race that not many have.

Biggest issue with fences currently is it cancels the effectiveness of that kick at the end of the race which hurdles doesnt remove as they allow him to maintain his momentum and rhythm without burning it off early.

I would keep him at 2m5f and see if his fencing confidence improves and he becomes less careful. Once relaxed his kick will return over fences at the trip. If he doesnt take to them after a few more outings then revert to hurdles with the Aintree Hurdle his ideal race.
By:
impossible123
When: 23 Dec 17 15:33
I think it is too far down the chasing line to revert back to hurdling this season. Also, the only race open to him will be the Stayers, a race significantly less prestigious than the Gold Cup thus I think connections will persevere with him over fences this season.
By:
bluebirdfan
When: 27 Dec 17 10:55
They’ll persevere with him over fences, keep messing about with the trip etc etc but the fact is he’s been disappponting over fences and if they had any sense they would have reverted to hurdles and be aimed at the Stayers division which looks weak. He just isn’t a natural chaser, think he’s hit the first fence every run now
By:
impossible123
When: 27 Dec 17 14:35
Post his defeat in the Henry VII Chase over 2m connections intimated the 3m Kauto Star Chase would be his next race. Instead a late decision took him to the 21f Mitie Noel Chase, and got stuffed (again). Similarly, Fox Norton from the same stable, from 2m to 3m in one go; baffling is too mild a description for behaviour of connections, I think.

Let's hope connections of FO put him in the RSA eventually.
By:
unclepuncle
When: 09 Jan 18 20:19
Back to hurdles it is - who’d have thought that.Devil
By:
bluebirdfan
When: 11 Jan 18 14:40
Good to see Tizzard finally listened to me, just hope he hasn’t soured the horse permanently
By:
unclepuncle
When: 27 Jan 18 16:11
Oh dear - Tizzard has really messed the horse up.
By:
p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y
When: 27 Jan 18 16:12
aye where do you go now ?
By:
unclepuncle
When: 27 Jan 18 16:13
Maybe send the horse to Henry de Bromhead.Laugh
By:
impossible123
When: 27 Jan 18 17:20
I think his stamina was stretched to breaking point on this heavy ground hence did not get home despite going well 3 out; his jumping (hurdles) improved as the race progressed, and I hope he sticks to hurdles. If encountering good ground his chance of winning would improve too. Maybe a long rest before Cheltenham is prudent.
By:
maelduin
When: 27 Jan 18 17:45
Shouldn't be going anywhere near Cheltenham. imo

The horse needs a long rest and a change of scenery (ironically HDB would be a good choice). Still only a 6 year old (by Oscar) so lots of time to get him back on track. Agree that it doesn't look like he stays 3m.
By:
HaylingBilly
When: 27 Jan 18 18:08
Breaking news. Finians Oscar is actually not that good a race horse.................decent horse, Yes. But stop dreaming about what race he will win at The Festival. He aint that good.
By:
maelduin
When: 29 Jan 18 15:14
"Tizzard feels the horse “might” stay three miles after his operation and on a better surface than the heavy going that prevailed at Cheltenham on Saturday. But, for now, he plans to return Finian’s Oscar to two and a half miles over fences, with the JLT Novice Chase at the Festival as his main target."

Somebody rescue the horse from these muppets. Crazy
By:
When: 29 Jan 18 15:17
pmsl they're making a show of themselves at this stage with how theyre campainging the horse
By:
impossible123
When: 29 Jan 18 15:51
The horse 1st ran this season in a 2m 4f chase, then 2m chase, then 3m hurdles...and now 2m 4f chase (again). Thank-goodness the Tizzards are not associated with the well-being of humans - I'd be totally confused and despondent, if so. For goodness sake, spare the horse further punishment this season, and give him a long rest to get his "mind" back, and start afresh next season.
By:
DontBeSakhee
When: 29 Jan 18 17:06
Maeldun.

Oh my. FO may not be a super horse, but he 'might' have had half a chance of winning a race at the Fes if he'd been campaigned properly!

Given the pretensions at the start of the season for the horse, I cannot think of another trainer that would've handled him this way!

I'm with everyone else, put him away and start again next year, if you must run him, then go to Liverpool and stick him in the Aintree hurdle.
By:
Can't Catch Me
When: 29 Jan 18 17:39
At least they came to the right conclusion in the end.
By:
The Dragon
When: 29 Jan 18 17:51
sorry tale allround
By:
GAZO
When: 29 Jan 18 17:54
Think there might be something amiss in the yard,all the horses ran poor on saturday
By:
unclepuncle
When: 29 Jan 18 19:29
^ Ditto - NTD.
By:
harry callaghan
When: 29 Jan 18 20:01
i don't know why they need to keep going round in circles with this horse, just give the horse a break and bring him back at aintree in the 2m4f hurdle race if he is ready, there is always punchestown as well...

he can't jump fences and he has just run like a drain again this time over hurdles, so just back off him and take him to some tracks he maybe capable of running well at if he is ready...the tizzard horse continue to be in not great health, make what you will
By:
When: 29 Jan 18 20:05
Agree with those who've said either write off the rest of this season or aim him at the Aintree Hurdle, the season has been an utter disaster for the horse and connections to date.
By:
firstimevisor
When: 29 Jan 18 20:19
No doubt about it, there's a virus of some sort in the yard. The horses are just not firing or putting two decent runs back to back. It wouldn't matter where or how they campaigned this horse he just wouldn't have performed in line with the yard's other horses.
By:
joevalue147
When: 30 Jan 18 12:47
Correct decision to aim for JLT.  Not much wrong with his jumping when he beat Movewiththetimes at Cheltenham in November bar the odd mistake(only his 2nd race over fences)but he did show that day on occasion that he had a ping in him.   The Tizzards made a bad mistake running him at Sandown and it was to the horses credit that he ran so well only 13 days later at Ascot.  I suppose it all depends what kind of a wind op he is getting.  There has to be a chance of him not making the gig with only 6 weeks to go but if it was only a minor op and he recovers quickly he may even have time for a confidence boosting prep run.  If he can show his true colours then he has to be a massive contender come the 15th of March.
By:
duffy
When: 30 Jan 18 12:53
Going full circle with the horse, he'll end up back at Hereford at this rate........give him a break, still has age on his side, don't push a bad situation into a worse one.

All the plaudits the Tizzard's were getting last year, new powerhouse blah blah, they've shown themselves up a bit this time round with how they've struggled to deal with adversity.
By:
impossible123
When: 30 Jan 18 15:58
A shame Finian's Oscar cannot speak otherwise, he'd have said..."leave me alone until I say I'm ready until then buzz off!"

It is so clear the horse is confused, even if the trainer is not. Also, the Tizzards need to consider not repeatedly talk up their charges.
By:
eric_morris
When: 24 Feb 18 11:33
Good to see the sponsored trainers initiative paying off so well for bookies, but unfortunately the opposite for punters. Also got to love the wind op probably about to be used as his wind being the excuse for his performances rather than the clownish campaigning of the horse this season.

joevalue147 15 Dec 17 09:46

Corals go 5/1 worst price for JLT so maybe thats the hint
By:
impossible123
When: 26 Feb 18 15:44
He is the forgotten horse, and with Willoughby Court an uncertain runner he'd be the value one given his rating.
By:
ACStafford
When: 26 Feb 18 17:28
If you can forgive him his last run, he could be dangerous. Maybe the wind op will help, but he doesn't jump well enough to pick up a festival grade one for me.
By:
impossible123
When: 26 Feb 18 18:31
I agree, his jumping is a bit suspect - too careful was the general consensus. But no Monalee and Willoughby Court is iffy; he was just held by Benatar (receiving 5lbs). And I do not rate Invitation Only. The JLT could fall into his lap, if he puts in a clear round.
By:
impossible123
When: 15 Mar 18 19:42
Only managed to watch the JLT a few moments ago. I think he jumped well apart from 2 fences. He was going well 4 out, and I thought he might win - what price in-running, anyone? I'd him in a treble with Footpad and Presenting Percy but laid some off at 8 here.

I think he's had one race too many; the 3m Cleeve hurdle "experiment" on heavy ground was a major mistake told its toll, I believe, as he had nothing left 3 out despite seemingly going well 2 fences prior.

I'm going to go against the grain and back him next season (no Aintree/Punchestown) only if he stays fencing and not 2m or 3m. I think it could pay dividend.
Page 5 of 6  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com