Forums

Cheltenham Festival

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Howdi
13 Mar 15 23:15
| Topic/replies: 29,355 | Blogger: Howdi's blog
Mine was Ryanair winner. I was taken away with his jumping at Cheltenham in November and lost faith as winter progressed. I ruddy knew he was a good horse and had Cheltenham form in the book too Cry
Pause Switch to Standard View The result that annoyed you at the Fez?
Show More
Report tim6 March 13, 2015 11:37 PM GMT
Zarkander felt sorry for Fehily as his rides with Nicholls
are on the line, didn't think he did anything wrong but
Nicholls is all about winning
Report Eeternaloptimist March 14, 2015 12:06 AM GMT
Probably Faugheen. I thought he had a good chance after his Neptune win last year but they insisted he wasn't as good as Vautour and that he'd go fencing. By the time he'd run at Punchestown the price was but a distant memory and pride wouldn't allow me to back him at the shorter odds. The rest is history.
Report Flemenstar March 14, 2015 12:28 AM GMT
easily Next Sensation. Arctic Fire going close as well, obviously you appreciate how much the horse has come on but how did that not win the County last year?

Neptune a close 3rd
Report duffy March 14, 2015 2:53 AM GMT
got to be Wicklow brave
Report Can't Catch Me March 14, 2015 8:25 AM GMT
Wicklow Brave for me too. Have backed him in pretty much every race he's run but gave up on him yesterday. And to make it worse I backed the 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the race Sad
Report wellchief March 14, 2015 9:18 AM GMT
Annie Power without a doubt.

Similar to Eeternal too.  I remember speaking to my mate about a year ago saying I was thinking of backing Faugheen at 48's on here, but I thought I'd be throwing away a tenner as they said he was going chasing.

Also, Cause of Causes was another one who I was going to back on here at huge odds in Feb, but he had loads of entries.  By the time the 4m was confirmed the price was gone so I left him alone.
Report marvinho March 14, 2015 9:38 AM GMT
Ryanair for me too.  Had a lucky 15 in the New Year which included Uxizandre for the Champion Chase and Ma Filluele for the Ryanair.  Am sure that Uxizandre would have won that dreadful champion chase on Tuesday and to add insult to injury, he goes and beats Ma Filluele in the Ryanair!

I am almost slight relieved that the other two selections in my Lucky 15 were non runners as had they won, the decision to send Uxizandre to the Ryanair would have cost me a life changing amount of money.

Wicklow Brave a close second.....
Report gutfeeling March 14, 2015 9:51 AM GMT
Having backed Coneygree all season for the RSA my stubborn nature stopped me from backing him for the Gold Cup so as much as I was pleased that connections were vindicated for the decision I was left very out of pocket and a tad f@cked off.

Don't talk about Wicklow Brave to me ffs, Couldn't have him beat last year in the Supreme and after that Sandown run I thought time to stop following you.
Report jasey March 14, 2015 9:52 AM GMT
Uxizandre is mine as well,thought he was QM winner after last season.Lost some cash on him in 3 hopeless runs this season and just gave up after that.
Report TheCollector March 14, 2015 9:58 AM GMT
Wicklow bastard ****g **** Brave (nap)

Zarkandar

33/1 Bless The Wings being beat by the 12yo Package

Monetaire beat after the starter being an arsse

Noble Emperor done on line

A profitable Festival but my god....couldve been spectacular
Report jasey March 14, 2015 10:05 AM GMT
Collector.
No mention of Don Poli
Report malheureusement March 14, 2015 10:09 AM GMT
Annoyed is the wrong word rather frustrated with Vautour result as backed him for the Arkle a year ago and then he puts in a scintillating performance in the JLT. It's sport though and not compulsory to have a bet and his effort on Thursday was a pleasure to watch.
Report onehundredandeighty March 14, 2015 11:15 AM GMT
Wicklow Brave and On The Fringe....going into Friday i had the distances in the bag and somehow got fecked over.

If a neck is 0.25 then surely a head is 0.125? 27 races and got done a head for mega bucks.

Nina yr a ****
Report bobbysixkiller March 14, 2015 11:16 AM GMT
Darna, check out his last run, the one where splash of ginge won. They put the improvement down to a wind op, if that's the case these wind ops need to be made public across the board.
Report geoff m March 14, 2015 11:59 AM GMT
Wicklow Brave  without a shadow of doubt.
Report festivalfanatic March 14, 2015 12:32 PM GMT
Martello Tower in the Bartlett after a spectacularly shocking ride from Bryan Cooper on No More Heroes.

Nothing else especially but from an AP point of view, Shaneshill being in the wrong race - I'm sure he would have gone closer than Nicholas Canyon in the Neptune and Wounded Warrior would surely have gone very close in the NH Chase. As it transpired, neither had a hope in their selected races but performed well enough to believe that they should have been better placed.
Report marychain1 March 14, 2015 12:36 PM GMT
Had singles, doubles and trebles all based around Vautour. Doubles with Faugheen in the Champion Hurdle and with Peace & Co in the Triumph. Trebles with all three. Biggest prices I had were 5/1, 4/1 and 8/1, but had quite a few. Every time I had a winning bet I was adding a bit more to it. But I had Vautour in the Arkle, not the Jewson. Cry
Report Ibrahima Sonko March 14, 2015 12:38 PM GMT
Wicklow Brave, backed it 3 times this season.
Report hunter71 March 14, 2015 1:03 PM GMT
windsor park 12/1
votour jlt 5/1
coneygree rsa 6/1
20 trebbleCryCry
Report Ming_the_Merciless March 14, 2015 1:52 PM GMT
had 28's on Champagne Fever for the QMCC.Cry

With Somersby finishing close to the D Bullets I'm pretty sure he would have done it. The cause of it being a non-runner (caused by a bite on it's head/lip) that really blowed. I kept finding myself shaking my head throughout day.

Have to say the phone reception at the Fez was a lot batter this year... so fair play for that.Happy

BUT - 4.70 A PINT!
Report sixtwosix March 14, 2015 4:16 PM GMT
No bet in the race , but the absurd site of Wicklow Brave strolling away from the field was the low point for me .
Report ZEALOT March 14, 2015 4:46 PM GMT
Wicklow was disgusting
RAncid
Report ZEALOT March 14, 2015 5:00 PM GMT
Took the shine off the festival for me tbh

It's hard enough without the top trainers lining owners pockets
Report Can't Catch Me March 14, 2015 8:08 PM GMT
Yes the phone reception was incredible and the 4G as quick as regular wifi. Getting a bet on was brilliantly easy. Well done Cheltenham.
Report Cash Is King March 14, 2015 10:35 PM GMT
Quite a few annoyed me.  Like many others, Wicklow Brave would be top of the list but kicking myself over several others including:

Cause of Causes and The Package - big Jamie Codd fan but couldn't see either of these winning even with JC on their backs

Rivage D'Or in the X Country - D Russell masterful rider of the X Country course

Uxizandre - The fact that AP wanted to ride him and not Taquin Du Seuil was a big clue given that AP rode TdS to victory in the JLT last year having sought permission from JP to abandon Uxizandre.

Darna - Backed Un Ace (the wrong Kim Bailey horse) but not Darna even though I knew both had had wind ops.

On The Fringe - Wrote it off as a non stayer.
Report Roger The Butler March 14, 2015 10:43 PM GMT
The Wicklow Brave debacle was indeed rancid.

I was there Tuesday and Thursday and that was the only horse that returned in front of the grandstand to utter silence. You don't expect every horse to be cheered in like Faugheen, but even unbacked horses get polite acknowledgement and recognition of their efforts. Wicklow Brave was utterly ignored, and rightly so. Stinking.
Report Roger The Butler March 14, 2015 10:44 PM GMT
Sorry, was there Tuesday and Friday.
Report Eeternaloptimist March 15, 2015 1:11 AM GMT
Perhaps I saw something which wasn't there but Townend's celebrations immediately after seemed a bit muted. Maybe he wasn't meant to rub it in quite so much winning like he'd jumped in off the home bend?
Report DHB March 15, 2015 2:45 AM GMT
Zabena at 33/1 in the Coral Cup where he led almost everywhere until after the final flight and then nearly got back up. Also Sixty Something in the Muir/Walwyn where he'd started to pull away before falling four out. However, he'd already had a few shaky jumps and I doubt he'd held off The Package.
Report TheCollector March 15, 2015 10:07 AM GMT
jasey
jasey 14 Mar 15 10:05 Joined: 22 Jul 08 | Topic/replies: 1,161 | Blogger: jasey's blog
Collector.
No mention of Don Poli
Rate reply:
| report block user

Southfield Theatre ew 14s in same race took care of the 2-1 lay with a bit leftover.
Report TheCollector March 15, 2015 10:07 AM GMT
bobbysixkiller
bobbysixkiller 14 Mar 15 11:16 Joined: 27 Feb 07 | Topic/replies: 14 | Blogger: bobbysixkiller's blog
Darna, check out his last run, the one where splash of ginge won. They put the improvement down to a wind op, if that's the case these wind ops need to be made public across the board.
Rate reply:
| report block user

Totally agree.
Report rogerthebutler March 15, 2015 12:18 PM GMT
All the Mullins winners on day one and the drunken favourite backers / hype followers shouting about how easy it all is.
Report sintonian March 15, 2015 1:59 PM GMT
^ THAT. Agreed. In a way it was good Annie POwer got beaten to teach all the mugs a lesson. Some of the tweets when she got beat were extremely funny, crying about their acca's going down.
Report ZEALOT March 15, 2015 2:10 PM GMT
How was it a mug Acca ??

You could have got 20/1 in the morning .

I have no doubt in my mind that given the exact same conditions - it would be much shorter than 20/1 !!!!

The fact is people said , without any thought - they won't all win because it's cheltenham and competition is always strong . What they failed to understand was the 4 in question were streets ahead of their opponents .

So if thought out instead of just thinking ' they can't all win ' ,20s was a fantastic price ..
Report ZEALOT March 15, 2015 2:13 PM GMT
And let's be honest if Ruby had his chance again would he have gone for the Hollywood jump at the last ????

I doubt it very much
Report giggsy3444 March 15, 2015 2:14 PM GMT
Why are people so pissed off about Wicklow Brave winning?
Report sintonian March 15, 2015 2:16 PM GMT
It will always be a mugs bet because what happened is exactly the type of thing that happens in racing, sport. The majority of people who placed those acca's did not do so on the basis of analysis and number crunching, they did just purely because they listened to connections and wanted their minds made up for them.
Report rogerthebutler March 15, 2015 2:39 PM GMT
Why can't Betfair have a 'like' button Sint?

Grin
Report ZEALOT March 15, 2015 2:49 PM GMT
20/1 on the big 4 on the first day was not a mug bet .

I would like to have 20/1 every day about such an event happening every day .

People backing blind on favs may well be a mug bet but with 4 favs potentially well ahead of its competitors was a good bet at 20s imo

And it should have happened !!!
Report tomdeane March 15, 2015 3:40 PM GMT
I completely agree with Zealot here...

Yes, a lot of mugs will have backed it who knew nothing about racing, but it's offensive in the extreme to suggest that everyone who backed it was a mug.

Contrary to the oft-peddled carp that accas are for mugs bets, they actually offer exceptional value when the individual legs offer value themselves. As it turned out, Douvan, UDS, Faugheen and Annie Power were streets ahead of the rest, and 20-1 was a very good bet.

On another note, I don't see why so many people are so upset about Wicklow Brave winning. The horse was returned at 25-1 in a race in which plenty other Mullins runners were much shorter, and backed. The yard were hardly having it off were they? This was not Top Cees, the sequel...
Report Steamship March 15, 2015 3:41 PM GMT
A lot of things annoyed me but it was all about my betting and selections. I never had a penny on Don Poli yet fancied him for RSA since last years Cheltenham. The two Jamie Codd winners who both had good trend profiles and with a top rider yet I didn't back them.

Cole Harden who upto the Thursday morning I liked but I went for Saphir. The amount of 2nds I backed Zabana and Noble Endeavor were two.

The meeting was great but my selection process was terrible, only myself to blame. Thank heavens for Next Sensation
Report Shiekh Me Hand March 15, 2015 3:41 PM GMT
X Country - Had a cracking bet EW on Quantativeasing.

Enough said. Still Gutted.
Report 1st time poster March 15, 2015 3:45 PM GMT
you must be starting a new trend of 12 yr olds lifting handicaps at chelt,unless you no there starting a veterans race for future festivals, Wink
Report 1st time poster March 15, 2015 3:48 PM GMT
ups and downs you got lucky with next sensation drifted like a b arge because trainer said it would hate the ground,you stuck with it whilst others looked elsewhere throw in the fact that he also carted a fence with him and i,d say it was your day
Report Steamship March 15, 2015 3:59 PM GMT
1st time poster there was a thread by ashleigh on the Thursday titled The Package I was the first to reply pointing out that Pipe liked the race etc, although the age was against him.

Next Sensation was 4th in the Grand Annual on only 1lb higher and last year went off far to quick. I try not to listen to trainers quotes.
Report wellchief March 15, 2015 4:23 PM GMT
Its easy to call any bet a mugs bet after the fact.

The truth is that all were a long way ahead of the opposition and all four should have won, regardless of who trained them.

I had a decent price double on UDS and Annie Power, so I was gutted.
Report 1st time poster March 15, 2015 4:26 PM GMT
wish i could SadCry
Report PeteTheBloke March 15, 2015 4:42 PM GMT
It was a mug bet for the simple reason (if no other) that an acc on the 4 horses paid £22.77 for a £1 stake in the morning.
I checked it myself on Oddschecker.
Report 1st time poster March 15, 2015 4:46 PM GMT
think there was only 4 horses that made a mistake or where unlucky in someway that might have effected the result,
hendo,s in neptune
qe in x country
zarkandar
southfield theatre

and yes i was on all of them, Sad
Report wellchief March 15, 2015 4:53 PM GMT
It's your own interpretation of value though Pete.  If you think 22/1 is a good price for four horses that you really think are a long way clear of the rest, then I don't see why you wouldn't want 22/1.

Some people would have called UDS in the morning at 4/5 as amazing value, and some would say it was terrible based on he'd never raced at the track etc etc.

I didn't do the acca myself, but I hate the term "mug" because everyone is entitled to their opinion, and they bet with their own money, so if they want to put it on, it's their choice.
Report PeteTheBloke March 15, 2015 5:33 PM GMT
I take your point, wellchief, but I still think anyone betting the 20/1, instead of the better price,
will probably end up donating to the bookies in the long run.
Report 1st time poster March 15, 2015 5:43 PM GMT
tues morning offers
douvan 3,s
uds 4 to 5
faugheen 13 to 8
annie power ev
Report sintonian March 15, 2015 5:44 PM GMT
How many of these good thing acca's have looked good value before the races in festivals gone past? I think WPM just turned up with his horses in tremendous form, not often all of them fire over the course of several days.
Report ReaseHeath March 15, 2015 5:44 PM GMT
Uxizandre for me because the clues were there if I had n't been fixated on the mare.

Most of these pointed out above but:

1. Great run at last year's festival.
2. AP swapped from TDS last year back to Uxi
3. Form frank from Dodging Bullets the day before for his Cheltenham Open meeting win.
4. Should've been easy to ignore that nonsense race at Newbury where AP rode his 200th winner despite Mr Mole getting left at the start because Geraghty turned around and waited for him instead of kicking on with Uxi.

Cole Harden was a bit annoying too because despite fancying him all winter I did n't back him 'cos not convinced stable had totally returned to form.
Report 1st time poster March 15, 2015 5:49 PM GMT
so we take ap getting off him at newbury as a positive if you jumble the clues up afterwards to suit yourself  you,d never lose,couldnt be backed with counterfeit after newbury and ireland ,never mind the stable having their nap of the week in the same race balder sucess
Report tyronesam March 15, 2015 5:54 PM GMT
Annie, nina in xcountry, zarkandear and noble emperor and still came out on top
Report ReaseHeath March 15, 2015 5:57 PM GMT
not entirely true 1sttp - plenty of people back horses at Cheltenham based on festival and course form to the exclusion of all else - I'm not one of them as the above will tell you - if you don't believe me, go and have a read of the Taquin Du Seuil thread (now him I could n't have backed with counterfeit if Jonjo had given it to me!)

Balder Succes's course form prior was FUF and plenty crossed him off their lists on that basis despite his trainer's protestations to the contrary.
Report ZEALOT March 15, 2015 10:29 PM GMT
sintonian   

sintonian 

How many of these good thing acca's have looked good value before the races in festivals gone past? I think WPM just turned up with his horses in tremendous form, not often all of them fire over the course of several days.

but there has never been horses like the 4 in question that were we ahead of their rivals  .

My main point is ; if the 4 races were run under exact same conditions in 1 months time , would you take 20-1 if it was on offer for all 4 to win  ???
Report TheCollector March 16, 2015 8:21 AM GMT
The people that are finding it hard to understand why others are gutted Wicklow Brave won have very obviously not been backing it this season.
Report paulo47 March 16, 2015 10:17 AM GMT
Agreed , was on at Newbury and Sandown at double the SP , there was loads of money for him . Backed him in buttons for the County , after Newbury and probably looked at his price on here every day . Very little business went on , he shortened a bit after Sandown but with no action . This is a horse who messed about at the start against Faugheen but was still there 2 out in Ireland . He is obviously hugely talented and very quirky , even Ruby ( Think it was too soft here -GS at Sandown ) isnt sure what he needs . Actually said that in view of the disappointments previously it was probably a good thing to change jockey . Pse dont read as aftertiming , race and result was totally unexpected but not as some say impossible .....my only winner lol .
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com