Forums

Cheltenham Festival

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
SoYouThink
10 Mar 13 13:15
| Topic/replies: 1,396 | Blogger: SoYouThink's blog
Hard to believe this giant of NH racing has never ridden a winner of the CH, CC or Gold Cup and only has a total of 12 Festival winners to his name in over 20 years of riding.

Looking back at his winners, Crack Away Jack - Fred Winter, Go Native - Supreme, Bellvano - Grand Annual - pure class rides.

Would love to see him get a winner next week but Noel Meade has a depleted team going over. The other County Meath trainers Gordon Elliott and Tony Martin seem to looking to younger jockeys for their horses. Hopefully he picks up a ride in one of the handicaps.

Enjoy this legend while he still rides - won't see him at many more Cheltenham Festivals.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 11
By:
oufies pal
When: 10 Mar 13 13:45
His ride on Frenchmans Creek in William Hill/ Ritz Club /Festival ..handicap chase in 2002 was also pure class. Maybe his best ever.Was on the second at 25/1 myself, so never forgot the race.Cry
By:
oufies pal
When: 10 Mar 13 13:50
Of course ill never forget his ride on Psycho either.Angry
By:
kavvie
When: 10 Mar 13 14:24
i remember he rode one for jp in a 3miler in limerick last xmas..ill never forget it for different reasons than the above ones!!
By:
unclepuncle
When: 10 Mar 13 15:07
Shame he doesn't pick up more outside rides - pure class and always makes things interesting, even when he gets it wrong. His ride on Harchibald was pure theatre.Grin
By:
kavvie
When: 10 Mar 13 15:18
intresting in his book what he has to say about harchi.he said harchi gave his all on the bridle.what ever way his breathing operated if he put his head down it blocked/partially blocked his airway
By:
tashkent terror
When: 10 Mar 13 16:15
Bellvano last year was my favourite....could watch the replay of that race all day (and I didn't even have any money on it).

Backed Crack Away Jack and was level with the final fence in the 2008 Fred Winter...happy days.
By:
unclepuncle
When: 10 Mar 13 16:32
Criminally under used - I know even small stables have their own jockeys these days but horses like Melodic Rendezvous or Puffin Billy would definitely have a better chance with Carbs on board.
By:
tornadobob
When: 10 Mar 13 17:12
At least he'll be on Monbeg Dude in the GC. Still don't know how he got that horse to win the welsh national, he didn't jump a single fence. One of the great rides ever, anywhere.
By:
bellfunk
When: 10 Mar 13 18:44
He's on Kid Cassidy in the Johnny Henderson Grand Annual, he could be just what the horse needs and perhaps the perfect time to hang up his boots when it wins Happy
By:
Meade in England
When: 10 Mar 13 19:37
Im with oufies pal on this topic im afraid and yes its my pocket talking too Tongue Out.....though im a believer if the horse is class my missus could win on some of them ,have to say occasionally jockeys will produce  a tactically brilliant ride  "Noel Fehily" on ROR ,I thought was class (No I didnt back it),but jockeys who sit holding on to a horse under a double handful and just say go and the horse cruises away to win isnt a clas jockey just a class horse.
By:
Meade in England
When: 10 Mar 13 19:38
His ride on Monbeg Dude was superb to watch though
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel