Forums

Cheltenham Festival

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Regular Fries
22 Nov 12 10:55
| Topic/replies: 14,435 | Blogger: Regular Fries's blog
Morning all, I don't suppose anyone knows if there is anything concrete planned for Simonsig's seasonal reappearance?

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 206
By:
Arsene
When: 22 Nov 12 11:36
RF - There are a few mentions on the Captain Conan thread that he may start off at Newbury over 2m 4f
By:
Regular Fries
When: 22 Nov 12 11:48
cheers mate yep just seen that.
By:
festivalfanatic
When: 23 Nov 12 09:10
Unless it dries up a lot next week, I'll be very surprised if we Simonsig at Newbury. Hendo will want decent ground for him.
By:
giggsy3444
When: 23 Nov 12 11:58
starting to get a bit nervous about my 7/1 arkle bet on him. if he doesnt get a run over fences into him before Xmas i think he'll keep him over hurdles this season.
By:
tyronesam
When: 23 Nov 12 12:32
i agree giggsy...if he doesnt run before xmas there will be a few anxious anteposters having a wee sweat
By:
Roger The Butler
When: 25 Nov 12 15:38
No Newbury entry for Simonsig. Don't know where he will start now.
By:
roosterboost
When: 25 Nov 12 15:58
wondering if the splint has proved more serious...6-1 offered now
By:
FOYLESWAR
When: 25 Nov 12 16:00
12s for the champ hurdle on here
By:
Howdi
When: 25 Nov 12 16:01
wouldnt hurt nicky to fill us in would it!!!!
By:
roosterboost
When: 25 Nov 12 16:03
no chance of that howdi...spirit son news broke 2 months after he was being layed on here
By:
Distant View
When: 25 Nov 12 16:05
Captain Conan shortened further as well.
By:
roobuck
When: 25 Nov 12 16:24
An alternative view but do you think he might get a Bula entry?

It's well known that Zarkandar is going for this race and it will give him a really god idea where  he stands in that sphere. If beaten easily then can revert to fences.....if he can jump that is.
By:
roosterboost
When: 25 Nov 12 17:48
depends if hes still injured roobuck.
By:
Far From Trouble
When: 25 Nov 12 18:15
£72 at 13.5 matched for Simonsig Plain
By:
Howdi
When: 25 Nov 12 18:21
PERSONALLY ID RATHER SEE HIM RUN IN THE CHAMPION THAN HOSING UP IN NOVICE CHASES

THAT SAID I HAVEN'T MUCH TIME FOR HENDO NOT TELLING US

TAKE A LEAF OUT OF PJN's BOOK AND HE UPFRONT.
By:
roobuck
When: 25 Nov 12 19:02
Of course rooster, I am simply speculating.

But whilst he may have had a small setback, there has been a distinct lack of reports on how he has schooled. Whilst the stable never give much away, I would have thought Hendo would have at least mentioned something rather than he's a little behind. I thought he was at pains to say how much speed CC had, almost as a prep that he could be his Arkle horse.

I see Simonsig as Zarkandar's chief threat if he goes that way.
By:
roosterboost
When: 25 Nov 12 19:25
roobuck he said pubilcly 'he had a splint but thinks hes ok might see him at newbury'....its what he's said privately that saw cptn conan smashed in all rates from 16s to 10s pre debt and then 10s to 7s since that would worry me if i was a simonsig backer.the spirit son episode was despicable imo in his lack of regard for the public....the latest soundbite to me suggests he's being a little more careful this time putting a minor disclaimer in yet at the same time misleading punters agin...certainly not appearing newbury anyway.
By:
BJG
When: 25 Nov 12 19:48
Back to 5.4 now - no1 knows imo Plain
By:
sc1883
When: 26 Nov 12 00:00
no chance of him running in the bula unless anything happens to grandouet, nicky wouldnt run both
By:
roobuck
When: 26 Nov 12 06:45
Of course highly unlikely to run in Bula - but just don't get the comment that he won't run another one against Grandouet. They have different owners.

The trainer agrees to have all these horses, he should run them in the most appropriate race. If there are questions remaining about Simonsig chasing this season, the Bula would be right up there as a starting point for him.

It was reassuring to read on here about Buckley insisting that FR won't run in Ryanair. He is the owner after all.
By:
Howdi
When: 26 Nov 12 07:36
fully agree owner pays the bills
By:
R Carver
When: 26 Nov 12 15:04
I had a quick scan last night through the programme book and could not spot the Sprinter Sacre Doncaster race. This yr Doncaster seem to only race on the Sat of Cheltenham (i.e., not the Friday) and it is a 3m novice chase as far as I can see.

Options before Christmas (not all possible / some not at all likely): 03.12 Plumpton (2m4), 05.12 Catterick (2m3), 07.12 Exeter (2m3), 08.12 Sandwon (2m), 08.12 Wetherby (2m4), 09.12 Kelso (2m7), 09.12 Warwick (2m), 12.12 Hexham (2m), 12.12 Leic (2m4), 14.12 Bangor (2), 14.12 Cheltenham (2m5), 16.12 Carlisle (2m5), 17.12 Ffos Las (2m5), 17.12 Plumpton (2m), 20.12 Exter (2m), 21.12 (Ascot (2m3), 22.12 Ascot (2m5).

Other races exist but seem to be even less plausible. I have probably missed some races but I would now be waiting for the Bula entries with extra anticipation.
By:
Roger The Butler
When: 26 Nov 12 16:38
Good work. I had assumed that with Newbury out he would probably be targetting the same launchpad as for Sprinter Sacre at Doncaster, but you are right the Friday has gone.

After Christmas there is obviously the race in which Sprinter Sacre smashed Peddlers at Kempton on 27th December, but that was his second run not a debut.

Initial thought was that it would be a very brave man to start a novice chase campaign as late as that, but looking at the last 20 Arkle runnings whilst 14 winners have made their debut by the end of November, 3 (including two of Nicky Henderson's three winners in this period) have started in December, 1 in late January and 2 in February (both Martin Pipe, unsurprisingly!)
By:
bluebirdfan
When: 26 Nov 12 17:36
The novice chase at Doncaster is this Friday. Surely the Racing Post should be ringing Henderson and asking for an update as racing journalists? Shows how lucky we are to have Paul Nicholls who gives such regular updates
By:
R Carver
When: 26 Nov 12 18:15
BBF, yes I missed Friday's 2m3 contest from my list purely because he was not entered (I think it is actually a different race btw; SS ran over 2 last yr at Doncaster). Nevertheless, you would have thought 2m3 would have been suitable for Simonsig.

I also agree about PFN being open - it is refreshing, and he has been ever since he started (although failure to disclose Kauto's schooling fall last yr, for a week, was a notable exception). Very few are as open as PFN. In some ways I quite enjoy trying to second guess some of the others. I do not think the older brigade will change, having learnt the trade in a different era.

Roger, I did a bit of similar research last night myself, albeit off the top of my head, very hastilly. I will certainly never forget Well Chief's lengedary Arkle prep (1 run, Taunton, early Feb! (in the same race, I think, that Sanctuaire won this yr...)).  Not sure that is Henderson's style mind you, particularly given they appear to think he would win a Champion if kept over timber, an option that may appear more and more attractive the later and later he appears (though I take someone else's point about his age, 7 being a good age for Arkle winners (Sizing Europe and Moscow both won at 8, amogst others)).
By:
festivalfanatic
When: 26 Nov 12 22:11
Anyone thought that Hendo won't run him on slow ground full stop. Maybe that's why he hasn't been sighted.
By:
Roger The Butler
When: 27 Nov 12 09:21
Yes, unless the splint is more of an issue than he made out last week I think he has swerved the Newbury race as the ground is going to be desperate (currently soft, heavy in places). Problem is, if he waits for better ground and doesn't get that until January then the likelihood is he will shelve chasing until next season.
By:
johnny boy
When: 27 Nov 12 13:39
Just realised that Simonsig is (nearly..) an anagram of Monsignor.
By:
R Carver
When: 27 Nov 12 13:40
Stop it Johnny!
By:
Mr Mischief
When: 27 Nov 12 15:32

Nov 27, 2012 -- 7:39AM, johnny boy wrote:

Just realised that Simonsig is (nearly..) an anagram of Monsignor.

LaughLaugh

By:
GoBallistic
When: 27 Nov 12 16:24
It all makes sense now - the king is back
By:
Roger The Butler
When: 27 Nov 12 16:56
Not a full report but a snippet on the Racing Post homepage:

Simonsig may not have been ready to return at Newbury but he is close to making his seasonal debut. His trainer Nicky Henderson said: "He worked well this morning and will run over fences in two weeks' time."
By:
Roger The Butler
When: 27 Nov 12 17:09
Found a small report now on Sportinglife. Not down to the ground after all, horse isn't ready but the plan is still fences:

Nicky Henderson is biding his time before unleashing top hurdler Simonsig over fences. The Seven Barrows trainer had suggested the runaway Cheltenham Festival winner could make his chasing debut at Newbury, but Simonsig is not quite primed for the task.

Henderson said: "He's not quite ready for this weekend, we'll see him in about a fortnight."
By:
filbert street
When: 27 Nov 12 18:11
Lets be honest bazza calls the shots remember last year all set for supreme then barry says how its going to be. The only thing we can be 100% certain of is barry will want to ride both simonsig and captain conan they will not run in the same race guaranteed. Get on board CC for the Jewson at 12's I have, simsonsig goes for Arkle n pays nearly 50/1 for the double get on board and get on large
By:
buddeliea
When: 27 Nov 12 18:22
get on large??
a win double for March in November for 2 horses with doubts about what races they will be in??
no thanks.
By:
Howdi
When: 27 Nov 12 22:14
Grin
By:
Mr Mischief
When: 28 Nov 12 01:58

Nov 27, 2012 -- 12:22PM, buddeliea wrote:

get on large??a win double for March in November for 2 horses with doubts about what races they will be in??no thanks.

I hear ya budd but don't forget the fella who won a million accum from last seasons festival on Hendo's horses placed his bet this side of Christmas!Shocked

By:
Howdi
When: 28 Nov 12 07:02
AND HE WAS THE FIRST IN 47 MILLION TRIERS TO PULL IT OFF Cool
By:
HaylingBilly
When: 28 Nov 12 08:55
I can only see both Captain Conan and Simonsig running in Arkle. NH raves about the fact CC is a 2 miler so unless he is straight out bluffing CC looks Arkle bound.
Page 1 of 6  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com