Forums

Cheltenham Festival

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
These 415 comments are related to the topic:
The Triumph Hurdle

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 2 of 11  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 11 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 415
By:
tomdeane
When: 24 Jan 12 22:19
7/2 Grumeti?

I hope you're right lads and lasses - I'll be having a wedge on if that is the case. I think he is a machine!
By:
Mystic Wind
When: 24 Jan 12 23:04
This is an unusual year for juvenile hurdlers, as nothing has yet posted a speed rating remotely near to that of genuine Triumph Hurdle contender. This disappoints me, as it's by far & away my most profitable race of the Festival and I'm itching to latch on to one. The only one that remotely interests me at this stage isn't even quoted, which says it all!

No doubt many of those who have been out are a lot better than they've shown so far, and we'll surely get one or two new names to add to the mix. Something's bound to put up a performance sooner or later. I hanker for the day's when the like of Detroit City would put in a near-Triumph performance on debut but could still be backed at 33/1!
By:
Glossy
When: 24 Jan 12 23:25
tippu!

Finally another Hollow Tree liker! Have a decent amount on at 25/1 for the TH. Think this horse has a great attitude and whilst it may not have the outright speed of some, will battle as good as any on a run in. Ran well at Chelt back in November coming second to Hinterland and seems to have improved from then. Hoping to see the price tumble after Sat!
By:
BJG
When: 25 Jan 12 10:42
Henderson may again have a strong hand in the Triumph Hurdle, which he has won five times, including twice in the past three years. But he was unwilling to discuss the horses he had in mind, saying: "One did arrive this week, I'm not telling you what it's called. If the entries closed now, I would enter three but you haven't seen any of them yet."

NJH bein a dc as usual MischiefLaugh
By:
bluebirdfan
When: 25 Jan 12 10:56
Been some big support for Dildar in the last week
By:
stevo1
When: 25 Jan 12 11:20
Happy Nicky,punters pal bit like his useless Racing Post column, wonder why he disappeared?
By:
thesecret
When: 27 Jan 12 01:58
Dildar , declared for tuesday..
By:
BJG
When: 27 Jan 12 15:02
One who has not made the Cheltenham trial race, however, is the Philip Hobbs-trained Sadler's Risk.

"He's fine and I think they just want to give him an extra week. It's only two weeks since he won at Kempton," said stable jockey Richard Johnson.

"He's probably just going to have one more run before Cheltenham and it is just a case of getting the right run into him.

"It is all about getting him right for March. I schooled him this week and he's in great form at home."
By:
kie18
When: 27 Jan 12 17:49
i like countrywide flame think hes an accurate jumper and ran a brave race at chepstow in december in ground that was against him and which played to hollow tree's strengths...having a watching brief 2mrw. Not overly worried if he gets beat would be happy with a place. as i think he will be a great eachway bet on quicker ground in march. would like to see him act round chelt and maybe turn form with hollow tree.pples thoughts??
By:
BJG
When: 27 Jan 12 19:29
Grumetti fav #shocked!
By:
theboyfrommatebeleland
When: 27 Jan 12 19:51
The winner of the Triumph is fast asleep in Kildare.Does it have to run before Cheltenham or is hype alone sufficient?
By:
SEATHESTARS....NO1
When: 28 Jan 12 13:52
What have we just learned then lads/lasses?

Both Pearl Swan and Grumeti would be good enough to win a substandard triumph, though there as yet is no proof this is anything but a substandard renewal this year though the winner is probably not seen until February again. Also which one of the pair, would be better suited to the better ground that is most likely to be at the festival?

The surprise for me was the winner, Pearl Swan, trained by Nichols, we were all lead to believe through both hype and the antepost markets, that his dildar was the best in his yard, though we have not seen dildar yet, that is a very interesting! Cannot wait to see him and i hope he takes up his engagement on Tuesday!

Baby Mix, unless something comes to light in the coming days as to his well being, he just is not good enough and comes up a little short of the class required imo.

Hollow tree, a very good horse on his day, like the first two i mentioned has heaps on improvement in him still, like the first two has since proven his ability to battle, a place at best is what this fellow i think can achieve in the big one.

Analysis:
I the winner will be seen in Feb'!

My current bets:
Dildar e/w @ 20/1 Happy
Baby Mix e/w @ 8/1 Cry
Hollow tree e/w @ 25/1 Plain
Grumeti e/w @ 10/1 Crazy
Minsk e/w @ 12/1
Excited
By:
gnashersblackpool
When: 28 Jan 12 18:11
this years winner is still safely tucked up in his box,having not jumped a hurdle in public yet.

who trains it ican'treveal yet.

but it ain't down south.
By:
strontium
When: 28 Jan 12 18:26
Whatever wins the Adonis. Today looks like a positive for Dildar backers though!
By:
sintonian
When: 28 Jan 12 19:40
Glad i've not got involved in this.

NJH says he has 3 horses to run in this race that have not been seen yet.

PFN rates Dildar more highley than Pearl Swan who gave Grumeti a race and 3lb.

Plus there are the irish contenders.

Strangely though i'd not be quick to dismiss Grumeti. He was quite keen early on this race was an afterthought. He also has plenty of Flat race experience which will stand him in good stead come March.

As for Baby Mix, I posted earlier on the thread that he has a lot of growing to do. Looks next seasons horse to my eye.
By:
Mystic Wind
When: 28 Jan 12 20:21
Me too Sint. No fireworks today. The time was way below Triumph standard. Grumeti is a better-looking sort than Pearl Swan, but the latter gave him 3lbs and if Grumeti was a proper Triumph horse he would've put this race to bed in some style. Sure, he was travelling well when falling last time, but that was a slowly-run egg and spoon race and told us nothing. Still waiting for the winner to show its hand, hopefully this will happen in the next week or two.
By:
tippu
When: 29 Jan 12 12:35
I think it makes the race all the more intriguing. Can't deny I was disappointed by Hollow Tree's run but he's in good hands and is sure to improve. Gnashersblackpool - you have ne intrigued? When will all be revealed?
By:
SEATHESTARS....NO1
When: 29 Jan 12 13:16
Gnashers knows nothing really, he is merely using his racing knowledge and experience to form an opinion from what he has seen so far this season.

IMHO of course, not that i know the chap well or anything Crazy
By:
biffarama
When: 30 Jan 12 13:34
i think theres a pretty strong hand from one particular race at Punchestown on NYE....Second won on Saturday..
By:
NotreDame
When: 30 Jan 12 14:07
Can anyone explain why the Triumph seems to attract so much more hype and intrigue than the Supreme?  And what makes a horse go for he Triumph rather than the Supreme?

Looking back over recent years, doesn't look to me like the Triumph has produced better horses than the Supreme, so what's the difference?  Is it just that the triumph horses seem to come out later and so there's more mystery?

thanks for any answers, am genuinely curious.
By:
strontium
When: 30 Jan 12 14:11
Triumph is for 4 year olds only. Supreme is for 4yo+.
By:
Shakepseare's Sheriff
When: 30 Jan 12 14:16
you may have something there biff.....Gordon Elliot loves to pick up money and places his horses well....but even more so he loves to have a winner at Cheltenham and something gives me the impression he has put away shadow catcher for the triumph after that first win
By:
Slabster
When: 30 Jan 12 16:44
Any thoughts on Ut De Sivola? Mourad was third in a Triumph and this lads looks a better Juvenile.
By:
shockster
When: 30 Jan 12 17:10
Is Kazlian an intended runner?  Finished less than 4L behind Dildar when they met in France on the flat and has proved he can hurdle.
By:
SEATHESTARS....NO1
When: 30 Jan 12 17:18
Have just logged on, checked this market and gob opened up immediately!

That is some gamble on Dildar! I am on at 20s, anyone shed any light on itConfused

Also, what are peoples thoughts on any other runners we are still awaiting to see for this race this term? Has anyone got any strong opinions or better still, knowledgeConfused Would love to hear. CoolDevil
By:
strontium
When: 30 Jan 12 17:30
STS - I expect it's because Nicholls keeps talking up Dildar and a horse of his he clearly thinks is inferior beat several of the top horses in the market on Saturday?
By:
Masterminded
When: 30 Jan 12 17:46
Zarkandar was hardly the fancied one in the Triumph last year. Ruby didn't even take the ride! All the talk was about Brampour & Empire Levant before any of them had even run. Clearly with the experience and another year on their back you can see why & Zarkandar is still pretty average at home. It's a big ask for a horse to come off the flat & win a Triumph and that is why you need to see them on the track before backing for me. If you stick a decent flat horse in a yard full of 3 mile chasers it's bound to work the house down. The tricky part is getting them to use their talent over 2 miles with hurdles in the way. I'm sure Dildar will run well tomorrow & I hope he does but to be backing him blind effectively is silly for me. According.. Franklino..
By:
strontium
When: 30 Jan 12 18:05
I agree entirely MM. Even earlier this season Nicholls was describing Hinterland as the best juvenile he's ever had. But why do you think Dildar has shortened so much?
By:
strontium
When: 30 Jan 12 18:13
PS Even tomorrow Dildar is taking on a horse who was once rated 118 on the flat.
By:
BJG
When: 30 Jan 12 19:36
Lyvius Mischief worth a look
By:
theboyfrommatebeleland
When: 30 Jan 12 19:41
U deserting Uknowwho BJG?
By:
willie the milk
When: 30 Jan 12 19:52
I imagine Dildar is shortening because if it strolls in tomorrow, them bad bookie chaps have cut the price before any more damage gets done. If it gets stuffed, nothing lost. Nicholls has been quite vocal in his praise for Dildar and with him winning a top notch trial at the weekend with, what has meant to be an inferior horser, I can see why it has shortened up
By:
BJG
When: 30 Jan 12 19:59
Nope - minsk Love
By:
shando
When: 31 Jan 12 00:59
minsk looks like he has been laid out for this good trainer runs 12 feb interesting ??????
By:
cammy glasgow
When: 31 Jan 12 01:50
GAWWWWN M.I.N.S.K ................Cool
By:
sintonian
When: 31 Jan 12 09:04
Dildo is shortening quite simply because he is expected to win today. It is not a gamble in the slighest just the markets in anticipation. It was the same story with Brampour last season who was a ridiculous 12/1 before he had even jumped a hurdle in public.
By:
stevo1
When: 31 Jan 12 09:13
Same every season sint in Triumph recently, how many favs has there been so far,and previous seasons before even jumping hurdle in public.
He obviously is well regarded by Nicholls, but didnt he say same re Hinterland.
Allegedly Henderson has 3 horses to run yet, but he aint telling lol! Pratt
By:
SEATHESTARS....NO1
When: 31 Jan 12 10:22
Has anyone even looked at the entries for the triumph and made an opinion on any of these so called henderson things? I just wonder how much truth is in that quote from henderson and how much of it is trying to just goad other trainers/connectionsConfused
By:
SEATHESTARS....NO1
When: 31 Jan 12 10:24
Ok, considering entries day is not until today and all that it would be quite impossible lol WhoopsBlush
By:
biffarama
When: 31 Jan 12 13:19
Shakespeare. Agree re Elliot.  He also has another entered up on 12th that is quite high in bookies markets for Fred Winter, so leaves me with no doubt what plan should be.  Mark could be too hight for Fred so hopefully goes to triumph.  I have been keen on Darroun and backed him and Shadow Catcher after that run in NYE.  Were impressive and pulled clear of some fairly useful horses.
Page 2 of 11  •  Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | ... | 11 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com