Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
tobermory
22 Dec 18 02:02
| Topic/replies: 59,937 | Blogger: tobermory's blog
Laugh

Warren raging at Eddie
Pause Switch to Standard View Sky Box Office & BT Box Office on at...
Show More
Report tobermory December 22, 2018 2:07 AM GMT
Viewers can pay £19.95 on Sky Sports to see a heavyweight rematch between Dillian Whyte and Dereck Chisora, with BT Sport charging the same amount for Josh Warrington's IBF featherweight title defence against Carl Frampton.

Warren, 66, announced Warrington v Frampton in August, confirming the date and Manchester Arena venue in September. Six weeks later Hearn put Whyte v Chisora in London's O2 Arena on the same night. Hearn, 39, says he was never going to run his show on 1 December and clash with Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury, while the following two weekends offered no arena availability.

Warren: "Why has this happened? It's a question for them to answer. I find it baffling. If they had run a show on the date in question I certainly would not have put my show on at the same time. Bring the show forward or put it on in January, it's a nonsense. "But it's the customers that matter. They are the ones buying these events and can't afford Christmas week to be paying for two. There is no respect for the fans, it's just stupid."

Hearn: "To create the revenue needed you need either the Manchester Arena or the O2. The only date at the O2 was 22 December, so this clash is something unavoidable in terms of the venues needed for major, major fights. "Sky Sports were happy, we didn't feel Warrington-Frampton will impact our numbers dramatically. If it was a Tyson Fury v Deontay Wilder rematch we couldn't have gone on the 22nd but we feel we have the better platform and the better product."
Report tobermory December 22, 2018 2:12 AM GMT
Obviously Sky chose this date precisely because it would clash, just looking to crush BTBO.

Sky certainly do nothing to make their customers aware there is a BT Box Office, and the far greater customer awareness and familiarity with Sky will just naturally lead people to go for the Sky event (like when BBC & ITV showed the Cup Final at same time, it is just the default for boxing PPV ).

Also you will get people wanting the Frampton fight phoning Sky 'to get the boxing' and, with no mention of names, they will find themselves watching Whyte/Chisora.
Report n88uk December 22, 2018 11:06 PM GMT
Even though it wasn't a direct ad, I found it weird during Soccer Sat today that Frampton vs Warrington actually got more ad time, because there was some betting ad on every ad break which was discussing this fight instead, if this was done on purpose by BT seems a smart move.

It might be a move to try and crush BT Box Office, but ultimately all parties lose out. I actually think this is one of the most nonsensical things we've seen in boxing in a while, not only 2 ppv's at the exact same time, but 22nd December is an awful date for a PPV imo, you will get less buys on this day generally imo, people are out the Saturday before Christmas, money is tight, and there's been a crap load of PPV's recently, on top of that neither really is an A grade PPV in eyes of the public.
Report n88uk December 22, 2018 11:16 PM GMT
Hearn has gone back on so much of stuff he said several years ago. When you look at it you've got 2 main events really that several years ago wouldn't have been anywhere near ppv. One is headlined between 2 heavyweights who neither has ever been world champions and probably never will be, a domestic dust up, when did these auto become ppv like now, when somehow these boxers were convinced they were worth millions in purses? The other is between 2 world level fighters but neither are really household names throughout the country, both have a heavy home following, but lower weights normally struggle to catch the real casual interest (there are a few exceptions, Naz, Hatton etc., but generally this is true) and this is no different.

I feel like PPV goes through the same cycle every 7 or so years here. You start with the big fights on ppv as otherwise the money isn't there to get them made. You get more and more ppv until it becomes over saturated and the consumer rages eventually which means it disappears for a few years until the whole cycle starts again. The bubble burst this time will likely be whenever the Joshua/Fury bubble bursts. I mean half the sale of this Whyte vs Chisora fight is because of Joshua, without him you could never sell it as PPV if Klitschko was still champion.
Report tobermory December 22, 2018 11:44 PM GMT
Good points.

I think Cleverly-Bellew II lowered the bar for PPV so much that almost anything can be on box office.
Report n88uk December 22, 2018 11:49 PM GMT
Its become so clear now that Sky just want 6 ppv's a year no matter what, it's why I kinda believe Eddie's dates thing rather than this being sabotage. He had to put on another ppv this year and that's only date he could get a decent venue. Ultimately otherwise why would you take the loss of buys, even if you will win the battle so to speak which Sky will easily tonight, but they will have lost buys.

When you set numbers like this it's when you start having to engineer things to be PPV, especially as outside AJ he doesn't really have a bona fide PPV star, most his other big names are in clear decline or just retired.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com