Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Captain carnage
11 Nov 18 01:19
| Topic/replies: 1,208 | Blogger: Captain carnage's blog
Even when he had to make 12st 7lb v Cleverley first time he was always seen as a true 12 round fighter.

I know Usyk is v classy, hard to hit etc. But its not like Tony took much punishmen.

Truly shocked he gassed, his legs were wobbly for no apparent reason just before the knockdown and the knockout blow was just
an off balance left hook/screw shot from long range.

Bellew has had a fantastic career and has his boxing skills gave allways been underetstimated,

I am a massive fan but I am shocked at this capitulation?

Retirement on the mind?
Pause Switch to Standard View Why did Bellew gas?
Show More
Report wisewords November 11, 2018 1:23 AM GMT
Usyk's high workrate. he began to up it in round 4. round 5 even more. round 6 even more. it took its toll on Tony. Tony is nearly 36 years old. Usyk is 31.
Report wisewords November 11, 2018 1:24 AM GMT
also when Tony fought at light heavy, he gassed badly against Stevenson. maybe after fighting twice at heavyweight, having to come back down to cruiserweight for this fight took something out of him
Report tobermory November 11, 2018 3:22 AM GMT
I don't recall him ever having a big reputation for stamina. He is hardly the most athletic boxer.

The only 12 rounder I recall watching him in was the first Cleverly fight and he started strong and it was Cleverly's better cardio that brought it back (though I still thought Bellew had done enough to win)
Report Des Pond November 11, 2018 3:16 PM GMT
Bellew has not fought a decent, fit cruiserweight for years (apart from Makubu, who was much smaller). And as others pointed out, he is 36 and not very athletic. He has never fought anyone as sharp, fast, well-conditioned or skillful as Usyk. Having fought only one top level opponent in 5 years, he was always going to struggle.
Report DenzilPenberthy November 11, 2018 4:56 PM GMT
The exaggerated evasive tactics empty you very quickly the ducking and diving at near top pace could never have been kept up,also that hook on the chin at the end of the 6th? changed the fight for me.
Report Captain carnage November 13, 2018 8:31 PM GMT
Des leave it out - who has fought anybody like Usyk bar eerrr Breidis, Hunter, Gassiev, Glowaki. who all went the distance with him and who to my mind took more punishment (apart from the left hook when Bellew was already concussed).
Report scandanavian_haven November 13, 2018 11:37 PM GMT
er......he's 36 years old.
Report DenzilPenberthy November 23, 2018 9:00 PM GMT

Nov 13, 2018 -- 11:37PM, scandanavian_haven wrote:

er......he's 36 years old.

He was breaking gym fitness records before this fight so that's clearly not the reason.

Report ALIEN SEX FIEND November 24, 2018 10:17 PM GMT
NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
Report n88uk November 29, 2018 6:20 PM GMT
Jumping up in weight to heavyweight and then back down in weight to cruiserweight is norm the road to gassing too.
Report Shrewd_dude November 30, 2018 7:25 AM GMT
Des leave it out - who has fought anybody like Usyk bar eerrr Breidis, Hunter, Gassiev, Glowaki. who all went the distance with him and who to my mind took more punishment (apart from the left hook when Bellew was already concussed).

They took more punishment than Bellew? Cry Bellew still didn't know where he was for a whole half an hour after the fight.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com