Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
truehoncho
07 Oct 21 19:54
| Topic/replies: 3,938 | Blogger: truehoncho's blog
Bk1 has done ok but will Shadwell's absence from bk 2 have much of an effect? In 2019 they spent over £8m of the total £48m, buying 50 of the 600 lots.
Show More
Report potentialmillionaire October 7, 2021 10:48 PM BST
Yes, but at a bearable level.
Report Formtwist October 8, 2021 12:48 PM BST
I'm interested in Sheikha Hissa's vision of the new Shadwell, mostly as it will affect new sires they have in the pipeline and the fees they launch at. She has started the necessary pruning of people and mares to modernise the operation, certainly her trainer John Gosden will have been a big influence in that. So far as the yearling sales are concerned, aside for Shadwell King Power are cutting back (duty free not exactly lucrative in Thailand lately) but there are several new buyers around that are filling the void rather nicely so far. I am not so sanguine about Books 3 and 4.....
Report truehoncho October 8, 2021 7:22 PM BST
There were plenty of American buyers at Bk1 PotM, so hopefully they will hang around. I think there will be plenty to suit them in Bk2, arguably more suitable than Bk1 (other than fillies I suppose).

I'm not sure the lower end will be any worse than before FT. It's strange to me that Bk3 has about the same number of yearlings as Bk1. I would have thought there would have been a lot more poor yearlings than good ones!!
Report potentialmillionaire October 9, 2021 11:00 AM BST
The perception is that you have to keep the numbers high for a select sale otherwise only the elite turn up and you have a bloodbath at anything below 300k.
As pt 2 is historically everyone’s favourite sale of the year I guess it should perform ok and I felt Bk 1 was extremely respectable given it’s strange nature (those who don’t have to sell selling to those who don’t have to buy!) and the times we inhabit.
I think we are VERY lucky right now with the level of new spenders just at a tim we need them most.

Shadwell’s massive downsizing is a bit disappointing seeing as it seems to be coming all in one fell swoop but let’s face it, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie would get nothing like the protection their father enjoys and that is what happens when a noble (!?!) family heads off diagonally as opposed to those in the straight line.

I think they will regroup though and support their horses going forward but at what level remains to be seen.
Report truehoncho October 10, 2021 5:11 PM BST
Well for what it's worth. I am very optimistic. Plenty of fixtures at home next year and plenty of countries looking to promote racing, all of which I think will end up with plenty of demand for horses at all levels.
Report truehoncho October 14, 2021 1:55 PM BST
Well, that went well. It seems that there is no shortage of money or desire to spend it for the wealthy race horse owning community. It seems they have got richer over the last couple of years and breeding horses may well be one of the more lucrative activities over the next few years. A good omen for the foal sales and horse racing generally. Didn't take too long did it?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com