Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
yer ma
02 Nov 20 13:02
Date Joined: 23 Oct 02
| Topic/replies: 1,226 | Blogger: yer ma's blog
So basically Goffs are saying you can't get your go buy a sofa but you can go buy a horse.  I presume Tattersalls will follow suit.  Whether you agree with the lockdown or not, this is bizarre interpretation.
Pause Switch to Standard View Sales in lockdown
Show More
Report potentialmillionaire November 2, 2020 1:52 PM GMT
Bizarre yer ma?

I agree we are talking anbiguity here but a commercial breeder a trainer and an agent are most definitely in business and most definitely unable to work from home when it comes to this part of the process.

I don’t think the simple act of buying a sofa is particularly comparable!
Report yer ma November 2, 2020 2:03 PM GMT
I'm not arguing for/against lockdown but the point of the lockdown is to limit peoples movement and interaction.  The sectors specifically exempt are essential workers, construction & manufacturing.  Auction houses are specifically instructed to close (in England), I presume to stop people going to them.  If the govt isn't actually wanting people to suspend activity then this sort of thing will fly - if they do then it wont.    Do you think Tatts will go ahead PM - I can't see it.
Report yer ma November 2, 2020 2:05 PM GMT
and the sofa thing....not sure if a sofa store owner would agree
Report potentialmillionaire November 2, 2020 2:13 PM GMT
To say one is waiting for an email from Tatts with bated breath is an understatement yer ma!!

I am sure a short delay is the ideal scenario but how they manage that I don’t know.

It is a major international sale though so I think it needs to be taken seriously and I think Tatts protocols are a load more efficient than the somewhat lax efforts made in so many towns and city businesses conducted largely indoors.

Are you relaxed about waiting for the yearling sales if necessary? I’m not!
Report yer ma November 2, 2020 2:27 PM GMT
My use of hyperbole below is directly proportional to my stress at what to do next.  Tatts are presumably waiting to hear back from govt/lunch at the Garrick!  Putting back a week seems obvious (although it will fk Goffs - so their quick update might be political).  Problem is the mood music suggests it'll extend beyond Dec 2nd and can you have a scenario of cancelling a few days before!  I probably have a private buyer but I'll not get max price.  Thing is will I get max price at a curtailed lockdown impacted foal sale if it were to happen.  There's no good scenario.
Report potentialmillionaire November 2, 2020 2:42 PM GMT
Well I WAS feeling a little more relaxed after the October sales and I am particularly lucky gender wise.

I think fewer foals catalogued is a help and there will be punters at a good price for the right ones if the sales can just take place and preferably with a few more withdrawals than usual.please.

Can you just shift them back and wipeout Arqana?

Tatts is the bees knees both on quantity and quality though so that’s why I am hopeful that the solution will be bearable.
Report truehoncho November 2, 2020 2:52 PM GMT
Surely stock (of any kind) is different to a sofa? There is a clear time element here and there is a possibility this lock down could extend to xmas.
Report yer ma November 2, 2020 3:24 PM GMT
We're kidding ourselves if we think there is no issue with racehorse sales carrying on regardless while people can't sell non essential commodities from their businesses.  I don't think any of the rules stand close inspection but there's a reasonableness test that imo probably excludes up to 1000 people from all over UK/Ireland/World congregating in newmarket during a lockdown.  They could super ramp up Covid rules (pre-registered attendees only or even tests) but as I said, I'm worried that might further curtail buyers / sales anyway.
Report potentialmillionaire November 2, 2020 5:38 PM GMT
Didn’t we all have to pre register for the yearling sales in October and be temperature checked every time we entered - or was that just grubby me?!
I think that coupled with a mask in the busier areas, including outdoors and it being largely an outdoor event, it is not a struggle to demonstrate how safe the sale can be made.
I am not sure whether that is enough to make it happen within lockdown though.

Tatts still cogitating.
Report truehoncho November 2, 2020 6:17 PM GMT
We're kidding ourselves if we think there is no issue with racehorse sales carrying on regardless while people can't sell non essential commodities from their businesses. --- I don't think anyone is kidding any one Yer Ma, simply defending one's own interest. No one else is going to and just because others will go under not sure why self sacrifice is a requisite. The rules are inconsistent and have been from the start, no reason they will change now.
Report truehoncho November 5, 2020 9:04 AM GMT
It looks like it all go! Good luck PotM
Report truehoncho November 25, 2020 5:17 PM GMT
The first day was good. Hope it continues.
Report yer ma November 26, 2020 6:18 PM GMT
Mmmmm definition of 'good' differs
Report truehoncho November 26, 2020 8:17 PM GMT
Good compared to how bad they could have been. With the rest of the economy in a precarious position and 3 million predicted unemployed by qtr 2 next year I think you would have to be a little out of kilter with reality to not think they have dome well.
Report truehoncho February 23, 2021 9:19 AM GMT
I have a feeling the breeze ups could be more difficult this year. They tend to rely on owners looking for one to race fairly quickly and with spectators not back until mid May at the earliest there doesn't seem to be much incentive to get involved. Hope I am wrong.
Report workrider February 23, 2021 9:45 AM GMT
I was asked to buy a share in one recently had a look at it last week doing a little work , but the fact I won't be able to go see it run was the deciding factor in me not buying into it, looks a nice early type as well .
Report Formtwist February 23, 2021 3:19 PM GMT
Owners were allowed back last year long before any pilots for spectators. It is expected that this time the same will happen at least in England - being connected with the horses the next step from essential personnel. My guess is that this will happen when the tennis / golf courses etc start on 29th March. Probably again two badges maximum with either no catering or outside catering only as it was initially last time. Would fit with the start of the turf flat season.
Report truehoncho February 23, 2021 3:27 PM GMT
Hope so Formtwist. I will have a runner at Redcar on the 5th (I think).
Report Wilycayote March 11, 2021 8:10 PM GMT
Good interview in TDN with Ross Doyle today

Gary King: “so Ross, what do you like to see in a pedigree”?
Ross Doyle: “I only read the line at the top of the page I’m afraid Gary”
Report roadrunner46 March 12, 2021 8:40 PM GMT
ive got a sofa but can't buy a horse, crazy inrevention
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.


Instance ID: 13539