Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
truehoncho
05 May 20 13:52
| Topic/replies: 3,938 | Blogger: truehoncho's blog
Not a horse I thought would go over hurdles.
Pause Switch to Standard View Royal Ascot winner Sir Isaac Newton...
Show More
Report Big Black Cat May 5, 2020 4:51 PM BST
Not being a G3.6 Million yearling.  I'm sure they could have found a little job at stud for him given his pedigree?
Report Big Black Cat May 5, 2020 4:53 PM BST
Except of course, hes a gelding....ooops.....
Report Wilycayote May 5, 2020 9:17 PM BST
sadly there is not really such thing as "a little job at stud" anymore. there are just not enough mares and the "proper" stallions can cover too many mares per season.

the breeding landscape is a lot more boring because of it. The only thing that would help is if the world could agree on a mare cap per season. The Yanks were talking about 140 mare limit, which would improve the diversity of the stallions on offer no end and make the whole game healthier and more interesting.

dont think Mr Magnier would go for it tho!
Report truehoncho May 6, 2020 9:54 AM BST
I agree Wily. I was thinking more along the lines of him being 8yo and no form in 2 years just an honourable retirement.
Report sageform May 8, 2020 9:08 AM BST
Population geneticists would be horrified to see the low number of sires being used on the best mares which will almost certainly weaken the breed in the long run. Robert Sangster and others including the Head family in France worked that out when bringing over a lot of US breds and standing them at Stud after winning a lot of Group races. The Horses in Training from 1989 is dominated by horses with (USA) after their names. I was lucky enough to visit Gainesway in Kentucky when Riverman, Sharpen Up, Vaguely Noble and others were still active sires and were covering American mares.
Report truehoncho May 8, 2020 10:24 AM BST
Well Sageform as if to address their concerns the USA are now limiting books to 140 a year!!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com