Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Johnny_Mustang
15 Aug 19 21:07
| Topic/replies: 13,693 | Blogger: Johnny_Mustang's blog
Well for me, the revelations were astonishing. Did nobody else have any idea whatsoever these kind of shenanigans went on?
Pause Switch to Standard View Nothing to say about the Bloodstock...
Show More
Report truehoncho August 15, 2019 10:15 PM BST
where can I see it JM?
Report doncaster rover August 16, 2019 9:44 AM BST
I was warned by someone on here last year when I said I was considering buying one or two foals at auction that in his words I would be eaten alive if I tried to do it on my own when I by my own admission had no idea how easy it is to be ripped off.he said going in without any professional help was a mine field,
Report Formtwist August 16, 2019 1:48 PM BST
Johnny, your tongue is so firmly in your cheek you're in danger of biting it! I was interested to read in RP that a police investigation is believed to ongoing in at least one situation - that is about time too. Between fraudulent behaviour and breaches of the Bribery Act they have plenty of ammunition. How soon certain people are forced to mend their unpleasant ways remains to be seen.
Report Big Black Cat August 17, 2019 6:13 PM BST
I have unfortunately fallen victim of some arguably sharp practice by a vendor, who although technically has not acted illegally, failed to declare something rather important which does affect the future of one of my horses.
Report Formtwist August 17, 2019 7:43 PM BST
Not sure what you might mean by "sharp practice" BBC and perhaps you would expand on that? Yearlings are subject to re-examination of wind by a purchaser and returnable for any stable vice not declared existent before bidding. All lots at an auction can be repeatedly examined, questions asked, and fully vetted at purchaser's cost so if that were done the vet can be at fault for failing to find a problem. Otherwise, as with the sale of anything else it is caveat emptor within the terms of the auction. Older horses are sold "as they stand" again subject to pre-bidding vetting. Good research will indicate bloodlines and families with heritable fragility. Once away to pre-training, then training, problems may be caused by poor regimes or accidents which are no fault of a vendor. Nothing in this bloodstock review would impinge on the aspect of purchase you refer to.
Report Big Black Cat August 23, 2019 11:02 PM BST
Formtwist I cant go into specifics as this particular issue is currently under review by a multitude of authorities. Let's just say there has apparently been  a failure to disclose something which would not be obvious to veterinary inspection.
Report sageform August 24, 2019 12:42 PM BST
BBC, I also bought a horse at auction that had a serious internal operation that was not declared. It dropped dead on the gallops. I only found out years later. He was a raced horse but should that make any difference?
Report truehoncho August 24, 2019 12:47 PM BST
That's just disgraceful Sageform. Not declaring it is a welfare issue (as you discovered). Cheap, shady completely unacceptable behavior.
Report sageform August 24, 2019 3:08 PM BST
Quite a while back and a Champion NH trainer who sold it. I won't name him as he is no longer with us.
Report Big Black Cat August 25, 2019 9:17 AM BST
That is very shady indeed sageform. To put it mildly.

What appears to have happened to me wasnt illegal. However whether it should have been declared at the time of purchase or not is the issue. And frankly it should have been.
Report yer ma August 27, 2019 3:16 PM BST
Kinda missing the point on this thread so far.  Selling stock with issues has and always will happen.  Fraud / inducements / blackmail doesn't have to be part of the industry.  The consequences of removing it would however be significantly lower medians which would almost certainly force stallion operations to lower fees & sales houses less net commission.....so will there really be the will to follow thru.  Doubt it very very much.
Report sageform August 27, 2019 5:29 PM BST
Does a ban on shoddy goods reduce the value of good quality ones?
Report truehoncho August 27, 2019 7:01 PM BST
Not sure BBC. Selling faulty goods is illegal in Britain. You sell a second hand car now without declaring any significant faults is illegal. Yer Ma, I take your point.
Report sageform August 27, 2019 8:57 PM BST
If potential owners don't have trust in auction sales, prices will fall so it is right to clean things up. Of all of my purchases between 1980 and 2010, the ones that did well had one thing in common. They had run once or twice in ptp or in one case on the flat but had not been fully exposed. Only one of the ones I bought untried won a race and that one had been working well for 12 months before I bought into it. If I was still active in the market, I would want to see a video of the horse competing well at least once before I would consider it. Using that criterion, the last 4 horses that I bought a share in won 15 races between them. Faustino, Jefferies, Lucky Bay and So Now. None were bought by me at auction but from a trainer as part of a partnership or syndicate.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com