Forums

Bloodstock & Breeding

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
betfairbro
23 Jan 16 17:09
| Topic/replies: 5 | Blogger: betfairbro's blog
Hello everyone!
a friend of mine is planning on putting his mare in foal

She is from a very good family (full sister to a 2 time welsh grand national winner and the 2nd dam has multiple g1 winners)

she is quite small so he is looking for a sire at least 16h2

Here is her family tree 1drv.ms/1KwaCvq

was considering breeding her with dylan thomas to improve the bloodline (as well as size and speed), since they both have natalma and northern dancer as 4th + 5th in the pedigree tree

would you have any better sire recomendations? Im thinking a dual purpose sire would be the best choice so as to improve speed, since the mothers dam side traits include strong stamina

here is the pedigree for a dylan thomas foal
http://1drv.ms/23kGJKc
Pause Switch to Standard View Recommended sire for steeplechase...
Show More
Report Lairy Mary January 23, 2016 5:35 PM GMT
Try this:
http://www.nhstallions.co.uk/ Out of those (in UK) I like Malinas (already had a Cheltenham Festival winner) and Arvico for size & conformation. (You didn't say where mare is based or if they'd travel her)
I loved Dylan Thomas as a racehorse and he has some pedigree - perhaps you could consider his son Pether's Moon?
Report proxygene January 23, 2016 5:59 PM GMT
Malinas is now in Ireland too.
Report Formtwist January 23, 2016 6:46 PM GMT
You might consider Passing Glance too as fitting your criteria for size and speed. He seems to have done very well with his horses on both flat and over jumps with limited opportunity.
Report Lairy Mary January 24, 2016 5:54 PM GMT
Funny I wouldn't touch Passing Glance - always thought him to be a bit neurotic and too lean for my liking.  I'd prefer more substance for NH.
Report Jezebel January 27, 2016 1:21 PM GMT
Midnight Legend.  I'd hurry up as he isn't getting any younger, but he would be my first choice if I wanted to breed NH.  He gets sane, sound, tough, trainable types with decent conformation (depending on the mare, of course) and although probably best known as a decent hurdler, he was speedy enough to win over a mile at 3yo and classy enough to be a multiple Listed winner and Group 2-placed.  Alan King is a big fan of his stock.
Report The Gotchee January 27, 2016 6:50 PM GMT
Dylan Thomas is not a NH sire. He is not even a first cousin of a NH sire.
He covered some of the most impecciably bred flat mares that money could buy at a fee of €50,000.00.
However, his progeny couldn't run fast enough to scatter their own sh1te.
Now, let's work this out?
He covered a lot of very fast well bred mares that produced cart horses.
If he covers NH mares, will he produce good NH progeny? Very unlikely.
His present fee is €5k and he is overpriced at that.
Why don't you go to a proven sire?
A new sire I do like,pedigree wise, is Sea Moon. I don't know much about him but he ticks a lot of boxes. I know he is 16.2 and he is out of an Alleged mare.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com