Forums

Australian

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
whoopi
27 Aug 12 21:35
| Topic/replies: 7,355 | Blogger: whoopi's blog
Just curious, no hidden agenda

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 49
By:
Castiron
When: 28 Aug 12 01:30
Good question, whoopi.

Where's BJT. He had the skies falling in. Laugh
By:
whoopi
When: 28 Aug 12 03:06
so i'm guessing from the lack of interest in this thread there's been zero impact on exchange activity.
By:
davez
When: 28 Aug 12 03:21
would appear that way whoopi, can't say I have noticed any change in overall liquidity of late
By:
spyvspy27
When: 28 Aug 12 03:29
All on course bookies pay a turnover fee Mr Cushion
By:
CrazySnake
When: 28 Aug 12 03:49
Mr Cushion, spy? Are you going to start calling me Mr Trouser?
By:
spyvspy27
When: 28 Aug 12 03:50
Why, is Trouser your last name?
By:
CrazySnake
When: 28 Aug 12 03:51
Laugh

Ok, you got me!
By:
silverunderwear
When: 28 Aug 12 09:48
Got the "warning" email first week, was afraid of that.

As I've mentioned before I do a bit of trading along with straight betting. A couple of years ago trading was my principal activity after a near wipeout (my poor betting activities was to blame) a couple of years before that again. A combination of becoming eligible for the PC* and boredom with the daily grind saw me switch back to win betting with a bit more discipline. No longer pay the PC, again because of dips into poor punting practices. Overall have continued to make money but not at the rate I used to, a long way short really, mea culpa.
*(yep I covered all lifetime losses AND then made so much at minimal commission that I became eligible, no apologies for that being THE personal betting highlight of years of betting and thus I can blow my own trumpet here Blush)

Personally my turnover has fallen sharply as I have backed out of trading on the affected markets. Last week I was ineligible to be charged, this week unknown as yet but I'd say even less likely as I bet even less in the affected markets than the week before.

PRO's

spending less time on BF, actually am doing pleasurable things like having a bit of a relax away from the PC (making me a lazy SOB LOL) especially in the evenings.

revisiting inrunning betting, there is a small (IMHO) dollar there IF you are disciplined and willing/able to learn. IMHO there's probably a big dollar there for a limited few, me not good enough for that.

CON's

the "is this isn't this an affected market" memory game before I bet

Less "earning pocketmoney" bets

Inconsistent betting when I think there may be an opportunity to trade in an affected market eg wide spread or I know that I'm likely to have a win bet inrunning which would reduce the trading commission affect of the new rules as I'm also likely to be straight betting in the same market.

trading type betting was also a release valve for my personal weakness of wanting to have a dabble while waiting for "normal" bet races to roll around...see pro's, it is far better for me to walk away now, ill disciplined!!

IMHO there is a lack of reply to your question as, to be blunt, serious traders would not be bothered wasting their time on this forum. Note to any flamers who think I am putting them down by this comment, it is self criticism as well, I'm wasting time here this very moment!.
By:
Aussie Driver
When: 28 Aug 12 09:56
Hopefully you will all gravitate to Vic and SA trot markets which are not subject to the turnover fee. We might finally see some liquidity in these markets Excited
By:
silverunderwear
When: 28 Aug 12 13:34
Ditto AD, I'm hoping for liquidity up outside the prescribed markets both for myself and more importantly to put an end to this further "taxing" of the punter.
By:
BJT
When: 29 Aug 12 07:45
Castiron.  Some quotes please?  I actually said traders have been given a free license to trade as much as they like, as long as they don't go over 50 markets.  This isn't going to last, but of course if you are smart enough to be able to count to 50, there will be little effect on the markets.  In fact, probably improve, since trading is now legal.
By:
silverunderwear
When: 29 Aug 12 08:29
BJT...then you should see reduced liquidity on anything except metro gallops as those races would have the most money in them and therefore be the best to trade on
By:
Feck N. Eejit
When: 29 Aug 12 12:35
The way I see it, if you ignore the 50 limit (which could be overcome with accounts in different names) traders are about the only ones not affected by it. Everyone else is expected to pay for them through increased commission rates. If it hasn't harmed liquidity then it's because oz gamblers are willing to accept it right up the jacksie.
By:
frog2
When: 29 Aug 12 16:11
Would have had to pay it so now limited to 49 markets a week on my trading system and have stopped working on a outcome betting system for Aust. Missing out on about £1000 a week because it on the trading side. Betfair missing out on the extra liquidity the low margin outcome betting system would have provided.

Nothing ever stands still on Betfair. You have to constantly adapt to survive.
By:
CrazySnake
When: 29 Aug 12 16:44
Not just on Betfair. You have to adapt to survive, period!
By:
Dooksy
When: 30 Aug 12 03:49
49 markets a week here also. Although I had an interesting phone call from Betty. They were offering me spreadsheet reports so I could adjust or figure out what it would cost me, basically egging me into keeping my turnover the same as what it was.
By:
PCisaripoff
When: 30 Aug 12 05:38
No Turnover fee here. But i'm not a trader & they get plenty in PC off me anyway
By:
BJT
When: 30 Aug 12 05:44
silver, that is a very limited view on how to trade imo.  The best markets to trade are the ones where you have least competition.  If it was about the liquidity, people would just trade the UK races.

But then, I am guessing you have never traded.  Interesting how people care to give an opinion on something they have never done and have no idea about.
By:
silverunderwear
When: 30 Aug 12 09:49
Interesting how people judge others without having any idea of their betting history which they have "no idea about". If you care to casr about a bit for a recent post you might learn a bit on what I've done while on BF.

And when people reply to floating a point of debate with a personal attack ya gotta wonder why.
By:
Feck N. Eejit
When: 30 Aug 12 13:00
Losers and marginal winners who mainly back horses have effectively been hit with a 30% increase in charges so that the traders (who will be responsible for much of the turnover charges generated) can continue to pay at the same level as they did before. Yet the large bulk of these traders will be supplying zilch in real liquidity. If it happened in the UK I'd be switching to trading so that I'd at least have the satisfaction of knowing I was costing betfair money and doing them a further disservice by withdrawing liquidity.
By:
Castiron
When: 30 Aug 12 20:11
Feck

There are quite a number of people on this forum who believe, traders are suppling a large bulk of the liquidity.
By:
BJT
When: 31 Aug 12 03:30
Personal attack?  Oh dear, after rereading what I wrote, you may just be the most sensitive soul I have ever come across.  Personal attack?  rotflmfao.
IMHO, you made a statement that reflects a very limited view on trading, so either trade very little, very badly, or not at all.

Personal attack?  Wow.
By:
silverunderwear
When: 31 Aug 12 06:53
"I am guessing you have never traded.  Interesting how people care to give an opinion on something they have never done and have no idea about."

Please point out how that is not having a shot and I will stand corrected.
By:
logroller
When: 31 Aug 12 06:55
silver he didnt call your mamma a pig, or say he is going to give it to your sister doggie, pretty tame slap i thought

oh, by the way your mamma is so fat     ?????
By:
BJT
When: 31 Aug 12 07:07
I don't need to point anything out.  You have actually quoted the section you thought was a personal attack, so you have pointed it out yourself.  Nothing personal about it.
By:
silverunderwear
When: 31 Aug 12 07:24
oh, by the way your mamma is so fat     ?????

Ha, Loggie wish she was, trying to build her up from (hopefully) dodging the big C bullet.
By:
logroller
When: 31 Aug 12 09:24
WOW silver, dont know what to say
By:
Kye
When: 31 Aug 12 10:10
Had an ordinary month. Pretty sure I lost last week but still received a bill for turnover charge. Barely got enough in account to cover charge. I'm closing my account.

As promised several weeks ago the first time i pay this fee would be the last.

Bye all
By:
VeryLTU
When: 31 Aug 12 11:31
steeeerrrike 1.  V-train.
cheers Kye. Thanks for the winners you gave out m8. gl.
By:
silverunderwear
When: 31 Aug 12 12:05
Damn, sorry to see you go Kye.

GL in the photos.
By:
silverunderwear
When: 31 Aug 12 12:08
Loggie, don't worry I realise your comment was tongue in cheek, just was struck by the irony.

It's a very strange feeling to feed and cajole a parent as if a toddler as was the case a couple of months ago.
By:
BJT
When: 31 Aug 12 12:48
Yet you have a go at me for personal attacks against you because I suggested you didn't understand the whole concept of trading......

Ok......Confused
By:
silverunderwear
When: 31 Aug 12 13:23
As you're Confused at me not having a go at Loggie when I'm apparently soooo touchy may I suggest a re appraisal of the tone and content of the two original posts.
By:
BJT
When: 31 Aug 12 13:38
Can suggest whatever you like.  Is the beauty of the internet.  Reality is though, that I wasn't confused as to not having a go at him and never said I was.

You really need to relax.  Maybe your restrictive underwear isn't all it cracked up to be.  "Bling" can be ok, but sometimes it just really is more of a hindrance.
By:
Joel
When: 05 Sep 12 09:55
Got a call today Scared
By:
whoopi
When: 05 Sep 12 09:59
what happened? Did you count wrong?
By:
Joel
When: 05 Sep 12 10:06
I can't count, i just did as I normally did Scared
By:
whoopi
When: 05 Sep 12 10:09
Joel joel joel joel joel......50 markets!!!
By:
whoopi
When: 05 Sep 12 10:11
how exactly did they break it to you?
Did he seem apologetic?
Did he offer you a free pair of socks?
Page 1 of 2  •  Previous 1 | 2 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies: