Forums

Australian

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Jez____
13 Jan 12 03:55
| Topic/replies: 1,058 | Blogger: Jez____'s blog
The campaign has unofficially begun.

The Beattie-Bligh Labor government has been in power for 12 years.

Labor hold a vast number of seats across the state by small margins after the last election.
That is why commentators are predicting a landslide.  Potentially leaving Labor with 4-10 seats.

The Liberal National Party in Queensland is led by Campbell Newman who does not hold a seat in Parliament.
However he will contest the seat of Ashgrove against former Minister, Kate Jones.

I'm predicting the election will be called on Monday 23rd January, therefore allowing the Bligh Government to avoid the late February release of the report in the Queensland floods and who was responsible, etc.

Strap yourselves in for a ripper campaign.
In politics, anything can and will happenCool

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 258
By:
Jez____
When: 13 Jan 12 03:56
To clarify: February 18 election date is my prediction, to be called on 23 January.
By:
Joel
When: 13 Jan 12 04:02
I dont think it will be a Landslide, should be a comfortable Labor victory but not a landslide.
By:
THERE....IS....NO....SPOOOOON
When: 13 Jan 12 04:04
Gee, there's some weird units on here Plain
By:
Jez____
When: 13 Jan 12 04:07
ffs JoelLaughLaughLaughLaugh
By:
wombleoz
When: 13 Jan 12 09:43
4-10 seats is a bit ambitious i'd suggest - it will be a flogging but not that big a one.  Governments get stale and the Queensland one has

mind you, if the arrogance of the LNP is disgraceful - led by a person that isn't even in parliament Angry
By:
Aussie Punter
When: 14 Jan 12 11:14
Waiting with baseball bats on the verandahs, womble
By:
wombleoz
When: 14 Jan 12 23:07
yep, they are AP - unfortunately

looks like Jez has got his first prediction of the year wrong - probably March rather than February

will be interesting to see how Katter's party goes
By:
Aussie Punter
When: 15 Jan 12 06:04
Would of been a chance had the treasurer been put in earlier
By:
Jez____
When: 24 Jan 12 08:45
Queensland election timing in turmoil
January 24, 2012 - 7:29PM
AAP

The timing of the Queensland election has been thrown into turmoil after the commissioner overseeing the state's floods inquiry said she would hold further hearings next week.

Premier Anna Bligh on Monday said she wanted Queenslanders to see the findings of the Queensland Floods Commission of Inquiry's final report on last year's disaster before they voted.

The report was due on February 24, leading to speculation Ms Bligh may have been looking to hold the election as early as February 25.

However, Ms Bligh released a statement late on Tuesday saying she had met with the floods inquiry commissioner Kate Holmes, who had requested an extension to the reporting date because further hearings were to be held.

"I advised I would be prepared to grant an extension," Ms Bligh said in the statement.

"I also advised the commissioner the granting of such an extension could have implications for the timing of elections and this would require me to seek urgent legal advice on a number of options.

"I am awaiting this advice and will make a further public statement once I have received and considered it."
By:
wombleoz
When: 24 Jan 12 11:21
prediction wrong then Jez Wink

any comment on Katter's party???
By:
wombleoz
When: 24 Jan 12 23:24
date set - 24 March, as stated by Anna - the closest Saturday to the end of the 3 year term

Baseball bats are out, only questions are how bad will it be + can the LNP totally stuff things up + how big an influence will Katter's Mob have???

Best of luck Anna

p.s. cue Joel to predict a Labor victory Wink
By:
Joel
When: 24 Jan 12 23:38
5.1 on here seems like free money to me??
By:
ozrazer
When: 24 Jan 12 23:41
you obviously dont live in qld joel to see the baseball bats on every verandah Crazy
By:
Joel
When: 24 Jan 12 23:48
Well you know, it won't be long...once the cricket season finishes the MLB will be nearly ready to start. Tongue Out
By:
ozrazer
When: 24 Jan 12 23:53
LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
By:
Jez____
When: 25 Jan 12 09:32
"Best of luck Anna"

Another demonstration of how out of touch wombleoz really isCrazy

Time for change in Queensland.

Can Do Queensland!

Campbell Newman and the Liberal National PartyCool
By:
Jez____
When: 26 Jan 12 02:40
Ram-raid attack on Robert Schwarten's house; Kirsten Livermore's electorate office in Rockhampton
Save this story to read later
by: By Brooke Baskin
January 26, 2012 12:53PM

THE state election has only just been called but police have already charged a disgruntled voter after he allegedly rammed the home of Rockhampton MP Robert Schwarten and the office of Capricornia MP Kirsten Livermore.

The 62-year-old Rockyview man is due to appear in Rockhampton Magistrates Court Thursday morning after he was charged with three counts of wilful damage for the alleged ram-raid offences on Tuesday night, the Courier Mail reports.

Police said the man drove his car into the rear door of Federal member Kirsten Livermore’s office on Denison St around 4pm, causing significant damage.

He then allegedly rammed the garage of state member Mr Schwarten’s home on Main St at Park Avenue around 6pm.

The garage door was completely destroyed in the alleged ram-raid, and a car parked inside sustained damage.

The man then allegedly reversed his car into the garage door of a home on Kerr St at Park Avenue, again causing significant damage.

It’s not known why the third property was targeted.

No one was injured in any of the incidents.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/ram-raid-attack-on-robert-schwartens-house-kirsten-livermores-electorate-office-in-rockhampton/story-e6frfkp9-1226254278204#ixzz1kWo2p8YJ
By:
Jez____
When: 26 Jan 12 02:41
I realise Queenslanders are angry with this government, but this is disturbing.
By:
Jez____
When: 26 Jan 12 02:47
These are both Labor MP's, btw.
By:
Mrben
When: 26 Jan 12 03:07
My home is in brisbane.The anger against anna bligh and labor is palpable.Anna did a good job during the floods  but thats not enuff to cover for  destroying  so much that was good in QLD.

Her and that idiot treasurer as probably 2 of the most incompetant administrators in aussie politics.

Labor will get annihilated.

can do campbell is liked, even by regular labor voters. I have friends here who never voted anything but labor in their lives who freely verbalise they will not vote Bligh govt and they will put the labor candidate last.
By:
wombleoz
When: 26 Jan 12 03:07
that's not good Jez, not good at all Sad
By:
wombleoz
When: 26 Jan 12 03:09
MrBen - what's the feeling about Newman being leader when he isn't even in parliament??? does no one care???
By:
Mrben
When: 26 Jan 12 03:17
actually no womble.its not an issue.

The electorate understands he had to resign from being Lord Mayor in order to take over the Lib leadership.

To be honest I think people consider it a huge plus that he is leader.He was incredibly popular as LM.
By:
wombleoz
When: 26 Jan 12 03:40
personal i think it's incredibly arrogant - part of the born to rule mentality of the Liberals - oh well. it is Queensland I guess

best thing is it will make Labor more secure federally - no one wants the Liberals in charge everywhere just like they don't want Labor in charge everywhere - it's all about balance
By:
Jez____
When: 26 Jan 12 04:22
Arrogant lol
By:
Jez____
When: 26 Jan 12 04:22
Its not all about balance at all - its about good governance and if that means Liberal National Governments - then BRING IT ON
By:
Joel
When: 26 Jan 12 04:23
Keep dreaming Jez, it aint gonna happen
By:
PCisaripoff
When: 27 Jan 12 04:52
onenationqld.com.au
By:
Aussie Punter
When: 27 Jan 12 12:57
Waiting with baseball bats on verandahs IMO

Wink
By:
Jez____
When: 01 Feb 12 09:07
ALP's political capital running on empty
BY: SEAN PARNELL From: The Australian January 30, 2012

WAITING for a plane at a small-town airport, while Peter Beattie was elsewhere in Queensland dominating the 2004 election campaign, his rival Bob Quinn complained that Labor had political capital it was just not willing to burn.

Labor had gone from minority government in 1998 to a massive parliamentary majority in 2001.

The then-Liberal leader was frustrated that Labor had not done anything to turn voters away, and would not risk its parliamentary buffer on any controversial decisions that might benefit the state in the long term.

Beattie led a different kind of government, a different kind of way, always dependent on popular support.

After coming to power in 1998, Labor focused on balancing the books, countering the Coalition's perceived strength, and then sought to rebalance Queensland industry and society, staking a claim on the state's future.

The Smart State strategy not only helped diversify the economy but also altered perceptions of Queensland, just as the investment in a Brisbane arts precinct would help offset the money spent on stadiums and give the state a cultural edge.

For the most part, however, this was a steady but reactionary administration, Beattie constantly switching from being the government's biggest advocate to its fiercest critic.

Reforms to the electoral system, child protection, electricity and health came without the need for an opposition. A visionhood statement, combined with risk-free policies and a rapid response delivered Labor big parliamentary majorities.

Going into the 2004 poll, Quinn was one of only three Liberals in parliament, where Labor held 66 of 89 seats. The Nationals had only 12 MPs, and that was during One Nation's demise.

As the years went by, however, Beattie's approach would become an electoral liability, his frequent apologies used against him. The government's problems were being remembered more than its solutions, its budgeting was being questioned and the Labor vision was starting to blur.

So in 2007, Beattie handed the reins to his deputy, Anna Bligh. The new Premier sought to be more proactive, even if her version of the Smart State, the bizarrely named Toward Q2, would barely register. Bligh improved transparency, introduced water fluoridation, and then, after winning the 2009 poll, unexpectedly abolished Queensland's fuel subsidy and embarked on a multi-billion-dollar privatisation program.

The budgetary position had worsened over the years - Queensland was no longer the low-tax state, had to go into debt to fund infrastructure, and lost its AAA-credit rating - and the mining and property booms were halted by the GFC.

But Labor, down to 51 seats under Bligh, did not have political capital to burn.

Bligh and Treasurer Andrew Fraser made decisions they felt would benefit in the long-term. They believed these economic reforms would show enough potential by the end of the term to give Labor a chance of re-election.

But they left little room for other crises, such as the health payroll debacle and the floods, nor did they factor in the prospect of the LNP building in strength and recruiting a new leader.

The Labor faithful are right to question when this government hit the point of no return and whether Bligh should have adopted a safer strategy in her first term as Premier.
By:
not4fun
When: 01 Feb 12 09:54
anything under 999-1 laying labour to win government in this state election is absolutely stealing money

ALL-IN
By:
wombleoz
When: 01 Feb 12 09:59
well they are specials now LaughLaughLaugh
By:
not4fun
When: 01 Feb 12 10:02
i have it on good advice

the shredders have been working overtime in some member's offices
By:
wombleoz
When: 01 Feb 12 10:39
bit early for that, parliament still has to sit again - but bound to happen
By:
Jez____
When: 01 Feb 12 10:52
Something you'd know a bit about wombleoz, being a public servant under Gillard Labor
By:
Jez____
When: 01 Feb 12 10:54
Disgraceful IMO but clearly the norm for yourself and thousands of others.
By:
earlycrow
When: 01 Feb 12 11:06
The main thing the libs need to do in this election is distance themselves from Tony Abbott
By:
Jez____
When: 01 Feb 12 11:08
nonsense
By:
Joel
When: 01 Feb 12 11:09
Jez____ Joined: 12 Jan 12
Replies: 530 01 Feb 12 11:08   

nonsense

CrazyLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Page 1 of 7  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next