Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mesmerised
12 Jul 18 08:08
| Topic/replies: 28,940 | Blogger: mesmerised's blog
Serena has looked beatable in this tournament particularly v Kiki and Giorgi, in years gone by I'd have this as 2-0 without blinking but Goerges can take this to 3 and win if she doesn't wilt under the spotlight. She'd never been to a Slam quarter before this tournament so she's well into uncharted territory Shocked
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Gorgeous Göerges v Serena Goat Williams
Show More
Report Wildcat Army. July 12, 2018 9:19 AM BST
Been following Goerges for a while, definitely an improved game in the past 12 months.  On her at 80's to win Wimbledon at the beginning of the tournament and just hope she does herself justice today.  Camilla Giorgi showed that Serena is beatable this year, she just couldn't sustain it.  Julia seems to thrive when going to 3 sets and she owes me nothing this tournament and will be having a pop at her at 10/3.
Report sageform July 12, 2018 11:38 AM BST
Some improvement after going out if the first round 5 years in a row. Can't see her getting past Serena though unfortunately.
Report mesmerised July 12, 2018 3:13 PM BST
has there ever been two Germans in a final against each other, ATP  or WTA ?

I can't remember any.
Report winningthought July 12, 2018 3:20 PM BST
There must of been on the tour, so I presume you are talking about slams?
Report mesmerised July 12, 2018 3:22 PM BST
yeah in slams
Report winningthought July 12, 2018 3:27 PM BST
Wimbledon 1991 - Stich beat Becker.
Report mesmerised July 12, 2018 3:45 PM BST
those graphics they showed a few minutes really highlighted how much Serena is dictating, previous matches Goerges was playing much closer to the baseline or within, here she's pushed a few meters back, which she does to everyone.

The only time recently I've seen anyone completely dominate Serena and pusher back was Muguruza in the French Open final 2014.
Report Journeyman July 12, 2018 4:02 PM BST
You know it's bad when winning a point on your own serve in a slam SF gets a sympathetic cheer from the crowd..
Report mesmerised July 12, 2018 4:04 PM BST
Sad
Report mesmerised July 12, 2018 4:10 PM BST
what a strange ending to the match, breaks then turns to pot on serve immediately
Report stu July 12, 2018 4:18 PM BST
Was a pathetic standard to end that match all round really - sums up women's version of tennis to me, like watching two amateurs mostly whenever you watch the game.
Report Journeyman July 12, 2018 5:13 PM BST
Stu, I think a big issue is that a lot of the players who seemed to have the potential to step up and be the new household names in Womens tennis over the last five years haven't done so.

Keys is an obvious underachiever, Bouchard and Lisicki reached Wimbledon finals with attractive positive playing styles but have dropped off, Osaka has flattered to deceive, Garcia has lost momentum, and so forth. This dearth is highlighted by the first three slams of the year potentially going to Wozniacki, Halep and Kerber, previously held up as the three poster girls for retrieval based, weaponless, 'grinder' tennis. Womens tennis really needs some fresh star power and it needs it fairly fast.
Report stu July 12, 2018 7:32 PM BST
I've seen a few women tennis players I really rate as sportspeople - Graff at her killer best for example. But mostly I find the game appalling for the general sporting standard, akin to watching women's cricket or similar.

The top elite are just about barely watchable, but so they should be in a GS final.
Report stu July 12, 2018 7:32 PM BST
I find it ironic they were early feminist pioneers demanding huge amounts of money too.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now