Forums
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mesmerised
13 Jun 18 23:22
| Topic/replies: 28,940 | Blogger: mesmerised's blog
If football was played on gravel, Basketball was played on clay and F1 cars raced on sand - that's how offputting watching Tennis on grass would be, someone let me know when this charade is over. Kind Regards.
Share |

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 27
By:
wisewords
When: 14 Jun 18 00:03
take your hatred elsewhere!
By:
mesmerised
When: 14 Jun 18 00:32
I am a shining light in a darkened world, but grass sucks balls.
By:
dlarssonf
When: 14 Jun 18 08:37
absolutely , mug surface for ball bashers and middle englanders
By:
SabineIsGOAT
When: 14 Jun 18 15:52
blasphemy
By:
wisewords
When: 14 Jun 18 15:53

Jun 14, 2018 -- 3:52PM, SabineIsGOAT wrote:

blasphemy

you tell me, zig! shocking thread

By:
Platini
When: 17 Jun 18 23:38
Personally I love the grass

I also love the clay

its the hardcourts that are dull.
By:
nofx
When: 18 Jun 18 09:02
Grassball is the worst. Always Hardcourt
By:
The Bhoys
When: 18 Jun 18 13:36
Grass is terrible, the ball bashers can win more
By:
Platini
When: 18 Jun 18 14:13
^ that must explain why Keys has shortened for Wimbledon
By:
The Bhoys
When: 18 Jun 18 14:17
her game is definatly suited to grass
By:
northanlite
When: 29 Jun 18 18:11
i think this thread is full of sh1t. the ball bashers surface is clay now. they have time to wind up
and smash it. the big server still has a shot on grass but needs to play almost the perfect game.
The big groundies don't work as time is taken away. the smart players win on grass most of the time.

Krajicek was probably the last big serve guy that won it. Nadal, Agassi, Murray, Novak, Hewitt not big servers &
won the title.
you know officially the game is still "lawn tennis" so playing on a lawn for a few weeks seems reasonable.
By:
mesmerised
When: 29 Jun 18 18:18
honestly, walofs, with all due respect.
By:
northanlite
When: 30 Jun 18 03:14
what was i wring about?
By:
northanlite
When: 30 Jun 18 03:17
oops *wrong about," ring about or wrang aboot..........i stopped caring a while ago
By:
mesmerised
When: 30 Jun 18 11:05
clay being a ball bashers surface now, I mean, seriously. Clay has always played the same way, the trajectory of the ball always rises at a more acute angle with a higher bounce than the other two surfaces, so whilst you may have more time to hit a ball as hard as you can, the velocity of the ball once impact has been made with the surface means you are then working with less pace and thus have to generate more of you own power so ball bashing in clay doesn't work because you're not returning the ball with any interest like you would do on grass and hard. 

Players like Janowicz, Querrey, Raonic and Berdych haven't got to the Semi's/final of Wimbledon because they have good all round games, they've gotten their because they've used their big weapon to hit opponents of the court, big serving, big hitting with little touch or finesse, years ago in the serve and volley days that skill set would have been a prerequisite, not any more they may have eventually lost to the creme de la creme of Tennis but they'd wouldn't get that far in the first place on the dust. On clay, you need an all round game as Clay has lowest % of aces hit and the lowest % of points won on first serve and requires a much more defending and attacking plays, Kind Regards.
By:
mesmerised
When: 30 Jun 18 11:07
Ball bashing on clay can only really work if the opposition player has weak defences which is why Thiem who is the biggest ball basher in the mens game is an exception except when he comes up against a good defender like Nadal, but ball bashing is more suited to hard courts than grass itself.
By:
northanlite
When: 30 Jun 18 11:42
clay can absolutely be a ball bashers surface, not that i like that phrase i was just repeating it, obviously
you need to be patient but you get time to wind up for the shots that is not afforded on grass.
anyway that is my opinion and has not always been the case going back to likes of  Moyà, Costa, Ferrero but these days
you need a weapon on the surface
if you disagree fine, but even Rafa the clay goat is a bit of ball bashing bruteSilly
By:
mesmerised
When: 30 Jun 18 12:08
it's not a ball bashers surface in terms of being a great gameplan, yes you can bash the ball on clay all day long, but hitting through the court to win a point as easily as the other surfaces and indoors, is another matter altogether. Nadal is not a ball basher, he is a grinder who can defend all day long and when he does attack it's too difficult on clay for opponents to constantly deal with the spin he puts on it, he doesn't try to hit through players, he forces them to make mistakes on their backhand, like Federer failed to do so often, with the rpm's he generates or hits winners with when he's shuffled them so far along with baseline/back of the court with his wide hitting fh's they don't have the time to get back for the return.

Serena has the best serve I've ever seen from any WTA player, the power the precision, the consistent accuracy, as well as the most powerful fh in womens's tennis, her win % record there is much lower than the other three slams. Federer is not a ball basher, he needs fast surfaces, won just 1 FO.
By:
northanlite
When: 30 Jun 18 12:24
true, can't really call rafa a ball basher. he sure can grip & rip it tho

personally i like grass when you have the big server v the great returner. Agaassi v Goran or more recently
Murray v Raonic. different strokes for different folks tho.
it's a very short spell on the lawns. i'm sure you can copeSilly
By:
mesmerised
When: 30 Jun 18 16:03
lol when it comes to grass I'm over egging the pudding, it is my least favourite surface but of course I'll be watching/trading Wimbledon with the traditionally long odds accy's to boot. Stupidly, the men's final is on at the same time as the World Cup final.
By:
northanlite
When: 30 Jun 18 21:51
i like the over egging phrase, i use it often. good phrase but very bad when making cakes
By:
stu
When: 03 Jul 18 11:00
I agree with northanlite - how can we call grass a simple ball bashers surface - Federer is hardly that, yet the greatest on this surface without a doubt.
By:
jin_kazz
When: 03 Jul 18 11:19
grass is the worst. that's true
By:
mesmerised
When: 03 Jul 18 11:21
Haven't said grass is a ball bashers surface, said that's more for hard courts, and that I'm not a fan of grass, but each to their own, Kind Regards.
By:
northanlite
When: 11 Jul 18 18:06
c'mon you must be enjoying it. how could you not???
By:
mesmerised
When: 11 Jul 18 18:34
I am warming to it now Fed is outWink
By:
northanlite
When: 11 Jul 18 21:03
Laugh delpo v nadal was one of the best ever. i guess it helps that the grass is like cement right nowCool
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now