Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Wildcat Army.
25 Apr 18 13:46
| Topic/replies: 423 | Blogger: Wildcat Army.'s blog
Apparently......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/43894806
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Tennis is Fixed !!
Show More
Report Wildcat Army. April 25, 2018 1:46 PM BST
From the bbc link....

A "tsunami" of match-fixing is plaguing lower-level tennis events, says a long-awaited report into corruption in the sport.

But the Independent Review Panel (IRP) has found no evidence of a cover up of these issues by governing bodies or the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU).

The report also shows no evidence of top-level players being implicated.

The panel - which BBC Sport understands cost close to £20m to fund - spoke to more than 100 players for the report.

Wednesday's report says there is a "very significant" corruption problem at "lower and middle levels of the sport" and especially in the men's game.

It found "some evidence of some issues" at higher levels, such as Grand Slams and Tour events, but the evidence does not reveal a "widespread problem" in elite professional tennis.

Other key findings include:

One betting operator said "the situation in tennis is grimmer than grim"
It also identified a "match-fixing 'season'" from October until the end of the year with "traces of up to two or three fixed matches per day" in International Tennis Federation (ITF) tournaments
The report proposes an end to betting sponsorship from tennis, especially tournaments
Investigations at Grand Slams were "insufficient", while other investigations were "inappropriate or ineffective, resulting in missed opportunities"
The ATP, the organisational body of men's professional tennis, are guilty of "failing to exhaust potential leads before ending investigations"
The TIU should be reorganised and reformed
The IRP was set up in January 2016 after a BBC and BuzzFeed News investigation uncovered suspected illegal betting.

The report conducted over 100 interviews with male and female players and received 3,200 survey responses at all tournament levels around the world.

It also draws on statements from more than 200 key stakeholders in professional tennis, including from governing bodies, tournament organisers and betting operators.
Report caramba April 25, 2018 5:02 PM BST
full report here:
http://tennisirp.com/

Ian DW on twitter has also commentated on this report:
https://twitter.com/sportdw
Report n88uk April 25, 2018 11:06 PM BST
£20m to tell us that there's corruption at the lowest levels of the sport because the players don't make money and are at risk of corruption, good stuff Crazy.

Honestly you could wipe out majority of this corruption by implementing one of their solutions (though a lot of them seem pointless/don't solve anything to me). If they stopped sale of live score data on lower level ITF's you'd get rid of most match fixing on the spot if $10k's, $25k's were no longer offered in live betting. I've never really got why bookmakers offer such markets on matches at that level anyway, you're asking for trouble on all levels.

Otherwise this is mostly sensationalist stuff that really doesn't matter that much in scheme of things. Premier League isn't worried about match fixing in the Conference South.
Report n88uk April 25, 2018 11:09 PM BST
Richard Ings
@ringsau
Follow Follow @ringsau
More
I am rather chuffed that recommendations I made in 2005 are being re-suggested by the panel in 2018.

The 2005 Ings Report is the thing I am most proud of in my time in sport. It’s been confidential until today.

1:47 PM - 25 Apr 2018
Report dlarssonf April 26, 2018 8:19 AM BST
Premier league ignore all the elephants in the room , like matchfixing  and PED's.  Football is the worst sport of them all but it's totally ignored
Report dlarssonf April 26, 2018 8:19 AM BST
Premier league ignore all the elephants in the room , like matchfixing  and PED's.  Football is the worst sport of them all but it's totally ignored
Report MayoMan April 26, 2018 10:40 PM BST
After watching the first game in the 3rd set of Adrian Menendez Maciera v John Patrick Smith  - I strongly agree

AMM just went around limping while he served and lost his service to love - stinkier than 2 week old boiled eggs
Report mesmerised April 26, 2018 11:20 PM BST
Next they will be telling us that downhill skiing without any skis could lead to an accident.
Report caramba April 27, 2018 3:13 PM BST

Apr 25, 2018 -- 11:06PM, n88uk wrote:

£20m to tell us that there's corruption at the lowest levels of the sport because the players don't make money and are at risk of corruption, good stuff .Honestly you could wipe out majority of this corruption by implementing one of their solutions (though a lot of them seem pointless/don't solve anything to me). If they stopped sale of live score data on lower level ITF's you'd get rid of most match fixing on the spot if $10k's, $25k's were no longer offered in live betting. I've never really got why bookmakers offer such markets on matches at that level anyway, you're asking for trouble on all levels.Otherwise this is mostly sensationalist stuff that really doesn't matter that much in scheme of things. Premier League isn't worried about match fixing in the Conference South.

Declan Hill said it was a good report, so I'll take his word for it. Don't know if it was worth £20m though and how much that is in the grand scheme of things, but lawyers are expensive and it sounds like they put in lots of hours for this. Who funded all this anyway?

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now