Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
caramba
24 Sep 17 19:21
| Topic/replies: 133,241 | Blogger: caramba's blog
It's smog week! And there's also an event in Tashkent.
These threads are weekly threads with just tennis talk: match talk, past, current or upcoming events in tennis etc. Spamming (including muggy politics talk) and general sports talk can be done elsewhere such as the usual megathreads, current one is called S/OT 5.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Tennis Talk vol 34 (Wuhan, Tashkent,...
Show More
Report wisewords September 25, 2017 6:02 AM BST
Madison is crying Sad
Report wisewords September 25, 2017 6:03 AM BST
thread doesn't work properly caramba.
Report mouse trap September 25, 2017 6:11 AM BST
test
Report mouse trap September 25, 2017 6:11 AM BST
seems OK here
Report mouse trap September 25, 2017 6:16 AM BST
nando's mixed up streams for Marketa and Pauline
Report wisewords September 25, 2017 6:17 AM BST
test
I think it works now
nope, still problems.
Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 6:44 AM BST
testing testing 123
Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 6:45 AM BST
live view broke for me, post hasn't shown, it was the same in the boxing forum yesterday as well.
Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 6:46 AM BST
Only when I switch to standard view, then back to live view does it show. All of the forums have been broke for months now, with many showing 0 people viewing the forum. Doubt they know.
Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 6:46 AM BST
That post showed straight away, maybe if everyone switch to standard view than back to live view it fixes the problem
Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 6:47 AM BST
no, broke againLaugh
Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 6:56 AM BST
I'll make another thread to see if it works.
Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 7:05 AM BST
Key's coach sounds very uninspiring, so quiet and tame at the changeover when he was speaking to her.
Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 7:08 AM BST
why was Lepchencko allowed to challenge a call so late at 30-40, takes the piss out of the rules, basically says, allow me to look up to my team, see what they think from their better angle, then make a decisionCrazy
Report wisewords September 25, 2017 7:30 AM BST

Sep 25, 2017 -- 12:02AM, wisewords wrote:

Madison is crying

wasn't right from the start, there signs were clear.

Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 7:34 AM BST
She really is so 1 dimensonal at times, one day she will realise hitting the ball as hard as possible especially at inopportune moments when taking the pace off at angle shots would be better.

Lepchenko looked and sounded like she lost at the end ffs
Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 7:38 AM BST
They need to be doing away with these gladiatorial-esque walk ons for players named Wang in a half empty stadiumLaugh
Report niten September 25, 2017 7:40 AM BST
what you guys think of mertens? i've watched her a lot this year, she's not that powafull but can compete with almost everyone. she's pretty consistent and it's obvious when she's not feeling it. she's 11-6 in matches that i thought were 50/50.  maybe her career will be around 20-30 in the rankings?
Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 8:19 AM BST
She is a strange one, she is a good height to be for a WTA player but it's almost irrelevant because with height usually comes power but she doesn't really have it, she has a phlegmatic and unhurried, percentage based game style/approach and usualy gets picked off by the better players over 3 sets because she gives them too many opportunities to hit winners , very good hand skills though, hit a couple of quality, deft drops shots against Pushniacki in Bast@d and a unreal winner against Niculescu, running along the baseline and just brushed a passing shot passed her that planted in the corner, think it was Hobart final.

Dont't think she's had any top 10 wins yet, or top 20? maybe fed cup
Report SabineIsGOAT September 25, 2017 8:27 AM BST
You can tell Sloane has been busy with non tennis things for the last few weeks
Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 8:31 AM BST
Stephens doesn't want this, not even running for balls and lashing at balls when it does come her way
Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 8:38 AM BST
The comms wont say it, but she's clearly carrying extra timber since the US Open win, too many parties.
Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 8:54 AM BST
she's blown 5 match points ffs, finish this 1 slam wonder
Report mouse trap September 25, 2017 9:11 AM BST
Aga mugging 5-2 lead including two MPs
Report mouse trap September 25, 2017 9:13 AM BST
Not serving for the match ---> love service game.
Report mouse trap September 25, 2017 9:15 AM BST
Zvonareva 0/12 on breakpoints, in the first 3 Begu service games
but she saved only one of the two breakpoints on her service games.
Report SabineIsGOAT September 25, 2017 9:19 AM BST
painfully brainless stuff from osaka in final set, wish I'd just stayed asleep for a couple more hours
Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 9:21 AM BST
Kerber's face just looks completely devoid of hope and confidence
Report niten September 25, 2017 9:31 AM BST

Sep 25, 2017 -- 2:19AM, mesmerised wrote:

She is a strange one, she is a good height to be for a WTA player but it's almost irrelevant because with height usually comes power but she doesn't really have it, she has a phlegmatic and unhurried, percentage based game style/approach and usualy gets picked off by the better players over 3 sets because she gives them too many opportunities to hit winners , very good hand skills though, hit a couple of quality, deft drops shots against Pushniacki in Bast@d and a unreal winner against Niculescu, running along the baseline and just brushed a passing shot passed her that planted in the corner, think it was Hobart final.Dont't think she's had any top 10 wins yet, or top 20? maybe fed cup

she beat pav in fed cup and kiki in january. i was watching aga but that might be her best 3 set win today. the best i've seen her play was vs dasha k and in general defensive players are good becuase she can get the first meaningful shot in.

Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 9:35 AM BST
I'm convinced Kerber's freefall or at least, lack of big wins this year is down to the melodium ban, a game built more on stamina and the need to defend suddenly goes to pot? I don't buy the weight of being World Number 1 either.
Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 9:44 AM BST
I don't think Kiki was top 20 at the beginnng of the year, more like 40-50 ranked.

defensive players don't win slams though at least no consistently, even though Sloane is a pusher or put a more polite way, likes to take more time to construct points, was an exception in recent years, along with Pennetta.

if she bulks up, and plays more aggresively, she could be top 10 in a couple of years. But she seems to passive.
Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 9:46 AM BST
my Kerber jinx GOATING.
Report niten September 25, 2017 10:16 AM BST

Sep 25, 2017 -- 3:44AM, mesmerised wrote:

I don't think Kiki was top 20 at the beginnng of the year, more like 40-50 ranked.defensive players don't win slams though at least no consistently, even though Sloane is a pusher or put a more polite way, likes to take more time to construct points, was an exception in recent years, along with Pennetta.if she bulks up, and plays more aggresively, she could be top 10 in a couple of years. But she seems to passive.

i meant that she matches up well with defensive players rather than they are good in general, agree with the rest of what you have said, i couldn't predict her winning a slam at this point.

Report niten September 25, 2017 10:18 AM BST
pav was out of the top 20 earlier in the year too
Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 10:32 AM BST
yeah, v defensive players she looks more adept on clay than hard courts, even though hc's are her best results.

just to go off-piste again, in general, as much as I like Serena, I am bored of players with that power hitting based game dominating, Muguruza will probably dominate the next few slams, Azarenka when she's back (properly), Maria looks good enough melodium free, would much prefer to see more talented players like Radwanska winning.
Report niten September 25, 2017 10:44 AM BST
i don't think azarenka will ever be full back. she struggled with motivation before she was a skinny millionare with a familly. tbh i watch so much wta that i just want people to be different and entertaining, i'm not too fussed who wins.
Report mouse trap September 25, 2017 10:57 AM BST
Gavrilova, Goerges, Strycova, Zvonareva, Garcia - just a few players in action this morning that *are* entertaining to watch most of the time
Report mouse trap September 25, 2017 10:58 AM BST
Fred mugging again
Report mouse trap September 25, 2017 11:05 AM BST
Junior US Open 2017 singles and doubles winner Yibing Wu about to make his debut on the ATP tour - after winning his maiden challenger in Shenzhen last week.
Report niten September 25, 2017 11:10 AM BST
strycova is most consistently entertaining to me. suarez navarro gets in more interesting matches than the ave player imo.
Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 11:29 AM BST
There are no entertaining slam winners, players at the top are what really sell the game to the masses.

They should do something drastic like change the constitution of the grass at Wimbledon, speed the court back up and we might see a bit more serve and volleying or better still, make the two handed backhand an illegal shot, one handed backhands with slice onlyGrin

In actuality, what would happen is it would take to long to become accustomed to it and Roberta Goat Vinci would clean up the slams in her mid thirties.
Report niten September 25, 2017 12:03 PM BST
i don't play tennis so i can't really know the solution, but i've heard lighter balls mentioned by a few people who do know what they are talking about.

ostapenko's pretty entertaining tbf.

did back vekic coz zhang would be tired but she looks fine so far so i got out for 0.
Report n88uk September 25, 2017 12:58 PM BST
Tbf smog week imo is Beijing rather than Wuhan. Beijing is where it's worst. Beijing is the only event you can often visibly see the smog on camera, especially when they show overhead shots, and we've seen some years where there's clear smog in the stadium.
Report edy September 25, 2017 1:03 PM BST
Sad
Report n88uk September 25, 2017 1:09 PM BST
US Open/Wuhan curse is strong. Too strong for Sloane.
Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 1:17 PM BST

Sep 25, 2017 -- 6:03AM, niten wrote:

i don't play tennis so i can't really know the solution, but i've heard lighter balls mentioned by a few people who do know what they are talking about.ostapenko's pretty entertaining tbf.did back vekic coz zhang would be tired but she looks fine so far so i got out for 0.

In the women's game, it's more to do with the the evolution of the tennis raquet as well as the William's physique pushing other players to become as stronng as they are or at least near to. Power in Women's tennis is much prominent than men's tennis because of the shot tolerance levels, in the men's game, physiology dictates that they can absorb and return power and speed, for women it's more a case of developing power and in turn losing their femininity at the same time which is basically what Radwanska has said she refuses to do.

Velocity of the modern raquet heads negate energy losses on contact point and return with more venom and with them being lighter and with bigger heads, you can swing them faster with power meaning balls are less likely to be returned, Penko looks like she plays with a big raquet head as I was saying yesterday and she is one of the hardest hitters, the double whammy is that more naturally atheltic wta players, usually taller players can afford to use slightly smaller heads that are more control oriented as they all ready can generate power which all in all means Power is going nowhere and will dictate the modern style of tennis for years to come, you can increase or decrease court surfaces, take off or add on more felt but unless you go back to older raquets you're not going to have slam winning players whose game is built around agility and finesse. Graf would not excel in today's game that's for sure and today's players would excel in her day, not the one's at the top anyway, they'd have to suddenly morph into more dynamic players.

Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 1:19 PM BST
So what i'm saying is, entertainment amongst top players is not happening imo, you will get it further down though, maybe this image at the top is what is stunting it's growth along with the fact they aren't really any stars in women's tennis and none that want to be.
Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 1:22 PM BST
US Open/Wuhan curse is strong. Too strong for Sloane.

did you see Sloane ? the weight she had put on was really noticeable around her waist and her face, she looked very heavy legged and couldn't be bothered to chase balls, seems to me to be more of a case of after the lord mayors show comes the dust cart performance.
Report n88uk September 25, 2017 1:27 PM BST
It's always the same thing Mes. The turnaround is too fast really. Stephens was doing talk shows last weekend, you really think she even picked up a racket in the week after winning, she wouldn't be human for her eye to not drop off the ball, plus the fact the adjustment to Wuhan is massive all = an early loss at Wuhan for the US Open winner.
Report n88uk September 25, 2017 1:29 PM BST
It's why really US Open winner should skip Wuhan and come back in Beijing. But hard to do that for Sloane who needs points for YEC, but has virtually no chance now after today's loss. She will need like at least 1300 points from 3 weeks now, that = winning Beijing + another title after = highly unlikely. Could do with Konta losing to Barty, as if Konta and Ostapenko start making runs here it's all over.
Report n88uk September 25, 2017 1:37 PM BST
Another impossible turnaround looking strong too.

The Seoul/Tokyo -> Wuhan turnaround for players without bye. You play final in Seoul/Tokyo then Wuhan R1 the next day, nobody ever wins on this turnaround yet market barely thinks about it.
Report mesmerised September 25, 2017 1:41 PM BST
yeah, which is why I was thinking a few days ago, that it should be considered having the last slam of the year at the end of the year as a penultimate tournament pre YEC/WTF.

But obviously the problem being is that New York in October is not warm enough and would have to be indoors, and as you said, they've have to find a venue the size of a small village to build an indoor event.

Still in an ideal world it would solve a few problems, you don't get hangovers at smaller events on the Asian swing soon after or at least should have better performances.
Report n88uk September 25, 2017 1:58 PM BST
The calendar is too condensed this time of season from the when they shortened the calendar too much in 2009. They are trying to fit too much into too short of time.

Everything needs moving back at least a week. There's no real chance to ease your way into the Asian swing if you did well at USO. I can't see this happening anytime soon though.
Report n88uk September 25, 2017 2:01 PM BST
WTA fell into the trap of sometimes shorter doesn't mean less wear and tear on the body. If shorter = playing more in a smaller time frame then it = more wear and tear on the body.

I've said for years there's no reason really courts wise why players who did well in US shouldn't do well in Asia, yet they rarely do because they are most disadvantage with the no time off, and nowhere to ease in. And that's because of the calendar. That is contributing a lot to random winners or worse often the lots of withdrawals which then the tournaments complain about.
Report n88uk September 25, 2017 2:08 PM BST
Today going to be an excellent day for Ostapenko if Konta loses this. Like everyone in YEC shout will have lost.
Report n88uk September 25, 2017 2:11 PM BST
What is thoughts on whats happened to Konta anyway?
Report n88uk September 25, 2017 2:15 PM BST
This is what the YEC chasing pack did this week.

#9 Lost R1
#10 Into R2
#11 Didn't play
#12-#15 Lost R1
Report n88uk September 25, 2017 2:18 PM BST
And the #8 will be added to that list with lost R2 with a bye (which means gained no points) soon.

Kuznetsova #10 had a bye too, so didn't actually win a match yet.
Report n88uk September 25, 2017 2:29 PM BST
This is awful from Konta.
Report hitmanhearn September 25, 2017 2:42 PM BST
Her timing looks miles off
Report caramba September 25, 2017 3:03 PM BST

Sep 25, 2017 -- 6:58AM, n88uk wrote:

Tbf smog week imo is Beijing rather than Wuhan. Beijing is where it's worst. Beijing is the only event you can often visibly see the smog on camera, especially when they show overhead shots, and we've seen some years where there's clear smog in the stadium.

Guangzhou was worse than Beijing when I checked the other week.

Report n88uk September 25, 2017 3:05 PM BST
What a mug Petra.
Report n88uk September 25, 2017 3:06 PM BST
Guangzhou isn't this week anyway Caramba though? Beijing is the main smog week given it's a big event too and joint. And the big event in Shanghai the week after, Shanghai is pretty much the cleanest city in China due to being on the coast etc.
Report caramba September 25, 2017 3:09 PM BST
Thread working? I haven't been around all day, but read there were problems.
Report caramba September 25, 2017 3:09 PM BST
I see it's not. Stupid phorum.
Report guernseyw September 25, 2017 3:13 PM BST
Report caramba September 25, 2017 3:26 PM BST
More smog in Chengdu, Shenzhen and Wuhan combined than just Guangzhou or just Beijing imo Mischief
Report wisewords September 25, 2017 3:29 PM BST
will you make a 2nd thread or shall I make it caramba?
Report caramba October 1, 2017 8:08 PM BST
doing some testing
Report caramba October 1, 2017 8:08 PM BST
test 2
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now