Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
DStyle
07 Aug 17 16:17
| Topic/replies: 26,767 | Blogger: DStyle's blog
The gasquet defence.....
Share |
Show More
Report wisewords August 7, 2017 4:35 PM BST
is that you speculating? or is that her defence?
Report DStyle August 7, 2017 4:43 PM BST
her defence is that being in the presence of someone who was taking the drug was enough for it to get into her system.

(her mother)
Report wisewords August 7, 2017 4:57 PM BST
hmmmmm. do you believe her?
Report DStyle August 7, 2017 5:29 PM BST
sara errani who trained at valencia when del moral was there.

sara errani who suddenly piled on the muscle.

sara errani who suddenly gained huge reserves of stamina.

i'll leave you to work out my answer.
Report wisewords August 7, 2017 5:41 PM BST
Grin fair point.
Report bb66 August 7, 2017 6:30 PM BST
Tennis has no credibility in anti doping fight
Report lurka August 7, 2017 9:13 PM BST
2012-2014 were her most suspicious years. Sudden improvement at age 25 and all while playing 50-60 doubles matches a year too made me suspect her of blood doping, which was Del Moral's area of expertise.

This is nothing in comparison and she hasn't been near that level in years.
Report scandanavian_haven August 7, 2017 10:36 PM BST
taking drugs in tennis will only get you so far, Errani was never winning slams and was never going to because in tennis the talent requirement is a big factor whereas in something like running, swimming or Cycling, taking drugs really is the difference between winning the big events and losing because of the low skill element, Chris Froome has won 4 out of the last 5 Tour De France's, he's in Lance Armstrong territory now, incredible results.

I don't see how Errani can expect people to believe her mums cancer drugs dropped into her food, real lame excuse.
Report caramba August 7, 2017 10:52 PM BST
not gonna comment on if she's guilty or not, but if she is and she's using her mother's cancer in an attempt to get away with this, then that is a new low for this type of stuff.
Report lurka August 8, 2017 9:02 AM BST
Errani was never getting anywhere near winning slams and then got near to winning the FO. It is not like cycling where the drugs can turn a donkey into a racehorse due to the pure endurance element, but in tennis, especially the women's game in those years, they are enough to turn an already skilled player (ie not a donkey) from 30+ to top 10 in the rankings. Errani hit top 5 at her highest and did the career grand slam in doubles at the same time 2012-2014.

Froome is far more suspect, he went from relative donkey all the way up to August 2011, about to get dropped by Sky, to the best cyclist in history (if clean) from September 2011 and ever since, ie a (relative) donkey to racehorse transformation in 3 weeks. Look at his results before and after, they are like two different cyclists'. Froome wasn't even a top 50 cyclist and went almost straight to No.1. He was stronger than Wiggins in 2012 when Wiggins won it and Wiggins was on corticosteroids to help him win. Nobody dominates cycling like Froome does clean, it is laughable.

The problem with the ITF is that their starting position is always to give the player the benefit of any possible doubt and they seem to have a requirement that it be proved that the player took the drugs deliberately. A 2 month sanction is ridiculous, they'd have been better off just keeping it quiet or not banning her at all, for PR reasons. They will only get bad PR for this.
Report DStyle August 8, 2017 1:06 PM BST
errani underwent an absolutely massive transformation in stamina in a very short period of time. And it was this grind and ability to outlast her opponents that was central to her success.

the biological passport wasn't fully effective in tennis until September 2014.

these are facts, draw your own conclusions.
Report scandanavian_haven August 8, 2017 1:07 PM BST
she got to 1 single slam final where she was walloped and crushed in the other 2 semi's she made, technically she near to winning French but at the time Shara was still heavy fav to beat her, she did  gain a boost/spike in form from the alleged external help but talent undone her in the end from the the other side of the court. I'm not saying in Tennis players don't benefit at all, they can rise up the rankings, win smaller tournaments etc but it's just not as significant as very physical sports, I don't give that much credence to what happens in doubles Tennis, it's mostly participated by lowly ranked singles players.

I do admit though more Cyclist are caught probably because more are tested more regularly.

Do Tennis players get tested when they do these disappearing acts for 6 months ? Like Wawrinka and Novak.
Report scandanavian_haven August 8, 2017 1:15 PM BST
Though I will also admit this.

If it is ever proven  Novak and Nadal and Serena were juiced up, then what I said would be bulsh*tGrin
Report dlarssonf August 8, 2017 2:31 PM BST
another filthy cheater who should be fcuked out of the gameSad
Report caramba August 8, 2017 3:34 PM BST
you can't go from journeyman/woman to no 1 in tennis like you can in other sports, but doping can still make a difference and improve your results and with tennis being a bigger sport than cycling, skiing, athletics etc the financial benefits from doping in tennis is far bigger compared to those other sports.
Report DStyle August 8, 2017 4:35 PM BST
the elite grinders, say woz and jj, can reach world number 1, although the longer the tournament the higher chance of them meeting more aggressive players who are firing and can hit through them.

that's the whole point about errani. she went from an unremarkable pusher to an elite grinder, with huge reserves of stamina in the space of about 8 months. And she was playing a sh1tload of doubles as well.
Report The Bhoys August 8, 2017 7:56 PM BST
Errani 2 month ban is a joke, fair point about djockovic and wawarinka, nadal and fed done 6 months to recently Shocked
Report tobermory August 9, 2017 8:12 PM BST
I see from 2007 to 2011 she played 17 slams and never made the Last 16 once

2012 she makes 3 Quarter Finals

Apparently claimed a change of raqcuet made all the difference.

The difference between 30th in the world and Top 10 in any Sport is huge for sponsorship/endorsements
Report lurka August 10, 2017 11:10 AM BST
yeah i don't give credence to what she did in doubles either, but it is relevant context to her rise in stamina levels that she was also playing so many doubles matches at the same time. The tennis calendar is punishing on the body and recovery is a big thing. The more you win the harder it gets.

Anti-Doping Database‏ @Dopinglist 29m29 minutes ago

Errani has gotten the shortest ban after testing positive for this substance. Most others get 2-4 years. Errani got two months.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now