Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
northanlite
12 Jul 17 18:40
| Topic/replies: 10,552 | Blogger: northanlite's blog
Fed has shown the proper recovery pays dividends. I'm guessing he will take 6 weeks off & be back for a prep then US open.
Getting fully fit may be best.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Should Murray take the rest of the...
Show More
Report geordie1956 July 12, 2017 7:00 PM BST
He should take 6 months off like Federer did last year...complete rest might be the best thing & then he can have 2 big years before any significant decline in his game..if he can win another major he can look back with satisfaction on what a great career he has had
Report northanlite July 12, 2017 7:03 PM BST
I think I agree. I will have a word with myself & let you knowCool
Report Journeyman July 12, 2017 7:10 PM BST
If you're saying that you're Andy Murray then I bet you cleaned up in the set betting market ShockedDevil
Report grumpyjim July 12, 2017 7:16 PM BST
A.M.  has punished his body more than any sports person .  Deserves to walk now with a good future ahead .. Will soon have a second offspring to look forward to ..
Life is bigger than tennis .. and done more than any local sportsman for many years .. No hiding place out on that court on yer TODD  ..   IF Overdoing it ..  ?
BEST WISHES A.M.   you are a sports star of that there is no doubt .. MATEY  .. WELL DONE FROM YOU  ... YOU.... did it at a time that so many stars were arriving in the game ..all greats in there own rights . BY THE WAY YER MUM IS A STAR ALSO AND BROTHER .. Loved her go at strictly  .really proud how she coped .. PRO DANCING IS NO EASY TASK .EITHER  .... WORK THEIR SHOES   OFF  ..........TO WIN OVER LONGER PERIODS THAN TENNIS .. AGAIN JOINT PROBLEMS TAKE A MASSIVE TOLL AS THEY GET OLDER ..
Report wisewords July 12, 2017 9:25 PM BST
Andy should take the next 2 weeks off and see how his body feels. Is it a bad hip injury or will it clear up on its own given a couple weeks of complete rest.
Report northanlite July 12, 2017 9:43 PM BST
2 weeks won't help. He needs a couple of months off at least
Report northanlite July 12, 2017 9:44 PM BST
or "off" even Mischief
Report wisewords July 12, 2017 9:49 PM BST
Well I agree that 6 months off would be optimum. Not even to do with his hip. The shingles viral illness he suffered in January/February has left his body unable to perform at the high  physical capability it was before the illness happened. But can he afford to take 6 months off? He wasn't prepared to skip Wimbledon even though he'd injured his hip pushing too hard in training. That shows you his mentality. He needs to be TOLD to take a rest. He won't make the decision himself. He's too bloody minded.
Report mafeking July 12, 2017 9:58 PM BST
if he's not 100% for cincinnati then he's never gonna do himself justice at the us open. then should rest for as long as it takes to get properly fit again

if he misses the rest of the year so be it. he'd be ranked around 16 by january if he didn't play again but that shouldn't be a big factor in whether to take a long break. wherever he's ranked still gonna have to beat maybe 2 of the other big 4 to win a slam
Report northanlite July 12, 2017 10:06 PM BST
He's knocked the wife up again so assuming she was at least 12 weeks at announcement then she is due Nov.
Stop, get well, have a baby & regroup for next year imo.
Report wisewords July 12, 2017 10:07 PM BST
Fully agree. Lots of rest & sleep to make sure his system is firing at 100% and also time to make sure his hip recovers properly. No good playing at 75% of the true man.
Report northanlite July 12, 2017 10:11 PM BST
I was dubious about the hip but he was way off from rd1. Did pretty well to get to 1/4
Report mesmerised July 12, 2017 10:22 PM BST
He shouldn't play til the US Open, even if fully fit, just rest some more.

Play US Open, see how you feel, take it from there, if there is a recurrence of the hip, then take the rest of the year off, but it's rest he needs not surgery, you don't take 6 months off for a sore hip.
Report sofiakenny July 13, 2017 1:42 AM BST
Get proper advice from medical team..do as they say and then take off more time..at least you try unlike gluten fud.
Report dlarssonf July 13, 2017 7:30 AM BST
should take up boxing and get a fight against the winner of mcgregor/mayweather
Report johnnyrant July 13, 2017 6:14 PM BST
Should take a complete break from the game and get fully recovered before preparing for next year's Oz Open.
Report Journeyman July 13, 2017 6:31 PM BST
The thing about swerving the US open is... what if fed's level drops? It's not as if anyone else is tearing up trees.
It's not beyond the bounds that Fed is planning to go out with a bang this year anyway.
I agree with Mes here, he should at least give it a crack. There's also the possibility of Lendl losing interest if there's nothing to get his teath into till Australia 2018.
Report n88uk July 13, 2017 7:20 PM BST
It's impossible to answer this question without actually knowing what his problem is. Saying sweeping answers like take the rest of the year off like Federer has come trendy but is meaningless if Murray is fit again in a month.
Report betting_masta July 13, 2017 8:48 PM BST
can you really see him sitting out the US open watching everyone else play . i can't.  he's better off playing us open but not playing any warm ups and then dodging the end of year thingymajig.  play US open and then have a 4- month break
Report n88uk July 13, 2017 8:59 PM BST
He can't just sit out warm ups if he's fit. If he's fit he needs to play something. If he doesn't play a warm up hard to see how he's going to win the US Open when his form is hardly great so where is the form going to come from with no matches as well.
Report mesmerised July 13, 2017 9:06 PM BST
All Federer played before winning Australia were a couple of hopman cup matches after 6 months

And Novak has won Wimbledon 3 times without playing any grass warm up apart from the odd boodles exhibition match.

best he goes into US Open as fresh as he can. form is all well and good, but so is much needed rest.
Report n88uk July 13, 2017 9:20 PM BST
Federer gradually built his form up match by match. Novak does that, but he's at least always played good tennis in clay season before hand.

Murray will if he plays nothing will not have played many good events all year. He needs something, I just can't see him turning up in USO on nothing and finding his best form.
Report wisewords July 13, 2017 9:32 PM BST
I'm sorry but I disagree with you, n88uk. Murray could come into the USO fresh and injury free off no matches and work his way into the tournament as the format is best of 5 sets.
Report grumpyjim July 14, 2017 6:34 AM BST
A .M.    has made it very tough going ..slow starter very often .. caused him big problems before getting to grips with the task ahead  .
Big and strong ..but always lacked movement in his game ..   ........moved on when dropped his mum as trainer .. she did a great job for her boys ..
this started as an enjoyable  ..leisure  /////now sport type game ..  ..  ....Movement to music  ..would help him immensely . mainly in groups of 8  put together .. very slick .. and takes the heavyness   away  and a bit sharpness ,, comes in .. Know trainers who do it for many ........ athletes .. and it works ..  ..wee rest and a change to enjoying this torture that is tennis ..
Report johnnyrant July 14, 2017 9:33 AM BST
You could see Murray was patched up by the physio for this Wimbledon. He needs to take an extended break otherwise he will likely end up doing himself more damage. Couldn't care less what has worked for Fed - tbh, it looks like he has spent a lot of time in one of those Swiss rejuvenation clinics. The guy is a freak of nature to be in such ebullient health at 35 and playing the way he is.
Report northanlite August 18, 2017 2:36 AM BST
should bin the US & get fit for next year. If there is a title he "deserves" it is the Aussie open
Report northanlite August 26, 2017 8:24 PM BST
looks like yes is the answer. a pity as he should be at the height of his game right now. mad run of injuries
for so many top players. US could throw up a surprise winner.
Report mesmerised August 26, 2017 8:56 PM BST
Federer and Nadal fanboys wont be happy along with the organisers/sponsors, he's robbed them of a dream Fedal final, they'd have been on opposite sides of the draw if Murray had withdrawn earlier. Personally pleased we're not getting another one of those.

1. Nadal Rafael
2. Murray Andy
3. Federer Roger
4. Wawrinka Stan
5. Djokovic Novak
6. Zverev Alexander
7. Cilic Marin
8. Thiem Dominic
9. Dimitrov Grigor
10. Nishikori Kei
11. Raonic Milos
12. Tsonga Jo-Wilfried

5 of the top 12 now out. Bottom half of the draw looks as weak as I've ever seen it in a Grand Slam, could get someone like Sock or Pouille sneaking into final, I see Khachanov as a dark horse for the whole thing, in likliness he loses to Cilic r3.
Report northanlite August 28, 2017 12:02 AM BST
have so many top players ever pulled out of a slam? i suspect not
Report mesmerised August 28, 2017 12:11 AM BST
Before my time, most of the top players never used to play the Australian open, including Agassi in his yoof. That explains how John Lloyd made the final before that, he was a never even a top 20 player.
Report northanlite August 28, 2017 12:31 AM BST
not turning up a wee bit different. the money wasn't great back in the day plus it's a long way from civilisation
Report mesmerised August 28, 2017 12:38 AM BST
the reasons are different but pulling out is pulling out, though if we are strictly talking about injured players pulling, out can't remember so many top plays withdrawing either, doesn't surprise me though given it's the US Open, players are more tired going into this slam more so than any other given the time of year, players also choose it as a good period to take the rest of the year off like Federer and Nadal have done in the past.

I would guess they don't value it as much as the other 3. The big draws are now a 31 and 36 year old and only 1 will make the final.
Report northanlite August 28, 2017 2:35 AM BST
ok i will rephrase. what a lot of injuries there have been, i think it may be unprecedented.
i don't think anyone "chooses" to take time off for a tournament with that sort of prestige & cash available
Report mesmerised August 28, 2017 11:56 AM BST
always seems to the US Open the top player skip to recover, money doesn't matter to the top 10 they are wealthy enough, lower down the rankings however, making r1 is a big deal.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now