Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
stevealan
07 Jul 17 15:55
Joined:
Date Joined: 03 Jun 03
| Topic/replies: 1,097 | Blogger: stevealan's blog
Dont watch much of this toffs sport but how the hell are they claiming konta is british ,hungarian parents born in aus are we that desperate
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View foreign tennis players
Show More
Loading...
Report dlarssonf July 7, 2017 4:21 PM BST
yes you really are and always have been
Report n88uk July 7, 2017 9:40 PM BST
Anyone who holds British citizenship is by definition British no?
Report dlarssonf July 8, 2017 8:31 AM BST
who said otherwise ??  It's still pathetic that she can hold it and represent Britain , it smacks of desperation from the media too , I find it laughable tbh
Report FredRescue July 10, 2017 7:31 PM BST
Konta gets more funding from LTA than she did from Tennis Australia

Simples Wink
Report lurka July 11, 2017 11:45 AM BST
She has no birth link or British blood, so in that sense she is not British. Froome has British parents.

But she's spent most of her tennis life in Britain and didn't just switch allegiance for money like other players (eg Bedene) have, it was because her parents emigrated to UK. I wouldn't see that as the same as Bedene, Konta has a legitimate link to the UK.

I don't think getting citizenship or a passport makes you British but in Konta's case I'm sure she genuinely feels she is British after spending half her life calling it home.
Report asparagus July 11, 2017 12:13 PM BST
If Konta considers herself British, Has British citizenship and has spent more or less half of her life here then I think the media and public can consider her British too. Ridiculous to consider it a toff's sport too. The OP is making a fool of himself.
Report dlarssonf July 11, 2017 1:07 PM BST
she moved to Britian at 14 and has no links to britian. It's completely ridiculous to say otherwise.  The OP has made far more sense then that rubbish you just posted asparagus.

Most of the toffs/clowns that are on centre court this week would never have heard of konta before this month, completely laughable
Report armagnac July 11, 2017 1:11 PM BST
are you not considered a toff if your spotted at wimbledon
Report asparagus July 11, 2017 2:10 PM BST
Diarrssonf, so she went to school here and has spent almost half her life here. I think you'll find that's a big link to the UK. Many of my friends have been on centre court this tournament. None of them could be considered toffs (i'm not sure it's a phrase that has much relevance in the modern world anyway). All of them would have known who Johanna Konta was before this month.
Report dlarssonf July 11, 2017 2:30 PM BST
she went to school in england for 3 years ffs , If it makes you happy thinking she is British knock yourself outLaugh
Report mesmerised July 11, 2017 4:05 PM BST
Players switching nationalities always blurs the lines when it comes to support from the ‘home crowd’, the level of support/affection a defecting player receives from the home fans usually depends upon the circumstances surrounding their naturalisation, and as we can see from this thread alone, it’s subjective.

Personally, in this case I see it as borderline because of the age at which she came to Britain and her reasons for switching, I would rather she won but don’t hold the same level of disappointment when she loses as when Robson used to lose pre injury, but she is growing on me as she has gone to the lengths of adopting the accent to help her be accepted though her Aussie twang does spasmodically appear usually when her voice is raised, to put her naturalisation into some perspective, compare it to Dasha, 21 when she switched allegiances to become an Aussie, that’s too late to be taken seriously as an ‘Aussie Player’ regardless of having the flag next to her name considering she had no training/funding/connection previously, Konta’s parents were in Britain before she was and she was young when she joined them there.

You have to distinguish between Konta the person and Konta the player, JoKo the person is more Aussie than she is British being born and raised there, but JoKo the player is more British than Aussie because of her journey to the top and that makes her an acceptable level of British player, acceptable enough to support. Her success is nothing to do with Australia, she is more of a product of the same tennis program that Murray spawned from in Spain , that’s where she really learnt her craft, like so many other Top players they are graduates of foreign Tennis institutes such as Sanchez-Casal and the Bollettieri academy, not Tennis Australia and less so the LTA who cut her funding and then jumped back on the bandwagon when she relocated to Spain, got her self a psychologists and flew up the rankings.

The LTA themselves are desperate and, pound for pound, the most useless sports governing body in the world who will quite happily jump on her success and claim it for their own but they’re not the only one, UKA (UK Athletics) do the same thing but are far worse, they have allowed and selected athletes who have never stepped foot in the country til their 20’s, to represent Britain, break and make a mockery of previous British Records, like Tiffany Porter and sister, the only reason they want to represent Britain is because the standard is so high in America, they weren’t quite good enough for them but were for us and made the switch as it was their only ticket to the Olympics. UKA do it as they needs results, it makes them look good and it generates more money, it’s tantamount to cheating and any success those two have in particular is no credit to Britain.

The reason why the number of home grown players are thin on the ground is because Tennis in England is an expensive sport to make inroads into unless you have wealthy parents like Watson and Edmund who were directors of energy companies or a child of an oil executive , Robson, in most cases down the years with British players, that’s the one common denominator, rich kids make it to the top, when you grow up in comfort do you really have the same stomach for the fight that a working class kid would have? I think this is a British disease as it seems less of a problem in other countries.

Anyway, to answer the original question, yes we are desperate for British players and that’s the LTA’s fault, the National Tennis centre is huge white Elephant, a gigantic waste of space, time and money, performance directors on 6 figure salaries come and go and nothing really changes much.

Put Judy Murray in charge, she’s produce two Grand slam winners on a shoestring.

Kind Regards.
Report asparagus July 11, 2017 4:08 PM BST
So she did go to school here. She has spent nearly half her life here. She does consider herself British. She took British citizenship long before she was reaching the top level as a tennis player. I don't think she is British. She is British. You carry on getting it wrong. Mugs are always welcome on Betfair.
Report FredRescue July 11, 2017 6:08 PM BST
She left Australia at 15 and then went to a tennis academy in Barcelona while her parents lived in the UK.

Not sure how she says she grew up in the UK?
Report by purpose July 11, 2017 6:37 PM BST
Did they pick up Mo Farah on the way over.
Report cardenden July 11, 2017 7:08 PM BST
shes certainly not a brit,,  if she was born in hungary, well for me shes no brit,  them thats not born in the britian will never be british, doesnt matter when she got here ..you are where you were born ,,end of
Report TheBetterBettor July 11, 2017 9:28 PM BST
^^^^^ Simone Perrotta world cup winner was born in England....can we claim that one?
Report scandanavian_haven July 11, 2017 10:04 PM BST
SO Raonic is not Canadian then Cardenden, because he was born in Serbia and move to Canada when he was 3 or Edmund is not British because he moved to hull from South Africa when he was the same age, that logic makes no sense
Report n88uk July 11, 2017 10:10 PM BST

Jul 11, 2017 -- 1:08PM, cardenden wrote:


shes certainly not a brit,,

Report n88uk July 11, 2017 10:10 PM BST
^Was John McEnroe German then?
Report edy July 11, 2017 10:31 PM BST

Jul 11, 2017 -- 7:07AM, dlarssonf wrote:


she moved to Britian at 14 and has no links to britian. It's completely ridiculous to say otherwise.  The OP has made far more sense then that rubbish you just posted asparagus.Most of the toffs/clowns that are on centre court this week would never have heard of konta before this month, completely laughable


I fully respect your opinion, as I always tend to do with everyone, but please do the same with others and don't be such a, sorry, know it all who to simply patronisingly dismiss the well thought out posts of others like asparagus as "rubbish". I think Konta is very much British myself. More importantly however than what I, as a random German, and you, whichever fascinating and stunningly beautiful country you may originate from, think about her Britishness is the fact that many, many British people themselves embrace and welcome Johanna Konta as one of their own and that the athlete considers herself British too.

Should it really be up to us random foreigners to tell someone who feels British that he or she is not and never will be? Again, I fully respect your honourful opinion, but personally I would question if that is really a thing for us to decide.

Report edy July 11, 2017 10:53 PM BST
and what's also important of course is that she legally obtained citizenship. Law and Order are very important.
Report ;[p July 11, 2017 11:00 PM BST

Jul 11, 2017 -- 5:45AM, lurka wrote:


She has no birth link or British blood, so in that sense she is not British. Froome has British parents.But she's spent most of her tennis life in Britain and didn't just switch allegiance for money like other players (eg Bedene) have, it was because her parents emigrated to UK. I wouldn't see that as the same as Bedene, Konta has a legitimate link to the UK. I don't think getting citizenship or a passport makes you British but in Konta's case I'm sure she genuinely feels she is British after spending half her life calling it home.


in terms of gentetic everyone in europe looking 7 generations back is highly likely to have hungarian estonian british romanian french and whatever else blood.is all rubbish

Report mesmerised July 11, 2017 11:32 PM BST
Invasions of the British Isles have occurred throughout history. Indeed, various states within the territorial space that now constitutes the British Isles were invaded several times; by the Romans, the Germans, Scandinavians, the French, the Dutch and one another.


Begs the question, what is 'British Blood' and does it matter where you're born as much as people think. A cousin of mine looks southern European, I used to tell her she was adopted from an Italian family when she was little, but she has no parents or grandparents or great grandparents from that region or South Europ but does not look 1  bit Northern European.....the Romans were here for 500 years, go figure people.
Report dlarssonf July 12, 2017 7:10 AM BST
edy    11 Jul 17 22:31 
Jul 11, 2017 -- 1:07PM, dlarssonf wrote:

she moved to Britian at 14 and has no links to britian. It's completely ridiculous to say otherwise.  The OP has made far more sense then that rubbish you just posted asparagus.Most of the toffs/clowns that are on centre court this week would never have heard of konta before this month, completely laughable

I fully respect your opinion, as I always tend to do with everyone, but please do the same with others and don't be such a, sorry, know it all who to simply patronisingly dismiss the well thought out posts of others like asparagus as "rubbish". I think Konta is very much British myself. More importantly however than what I, as a random German, and you, whichever fascinating and stunningly beautiful country you may originate from, think about her Britishness is the fact that many, many British people themselves embrace and welcome Johanna Konta as one of their own and that the athlete considers herself British too.

Should it really be up to us random foreigners to tell someone who feels British that he or she is not and never will be? Again, I fully respect your honourful opinion, but personally I would question if that is really a thing for us to decide.


Hey edy **** , if you bothered to read the thread I dissed his opinion that in answer to the exact same way he dissed the op's opinion , so again mr know it all , can you do me a favour and fcuk off and be a condescending **** with somebody else.  As for what you think about Konta I am thrilled for you
Report lurka July 12, 2017 7:55 AM BST

Jul 11, 2017 -- 5:00PM, ;[p wrote:


Jul 11, 2017 -- 11:45AM, lurka wrote:She has no birth link or British blood, so in that sense she is not British. Froome has British parents.But she's spent most of her tennis life in Britain and didn't just switch allegiance for money like other players (eg Bedene) have, it was because her parents emigrated to UK. I wouldn't see that as the same as Bedene, Konta has a legitimate link to the UK. I don't think getting citizenship or a passport makes you British but in Konta's case I'm sure she genuinely feels she is British after spending half her life calling it home.in terms of gentetic everyone in europe looking 7 generations back is highly likely to have hungarian estonian british romanian french and whatever else blood.is all rubbish


what is your point? I made a point about her not having a blood or birth link to Britain, which she does not. I don't see how your point about 7 generations-old mixed blood is relevant? My point was about a blood or birth link to Britain, not to anywhere else. The vast majority of people calling themselves British were either born there or have a British parent. Whether they also have blood lines from half of Europe as well is irrelevant.

I would imagine Konta feels more British than Aussie or Hungarian and has a solid link to Britain and solid reasons for considering herself British. I don't remember Bedene getting this sort of scrutiny either.

Report edy July 12, 2017 9:13 AM BST
Dlarsson, please let us try to keep up a certain level of civility. I engaged you in such a way and I would like to request a similar level of civility to be used in replies towards me. There is already far too much, frankly, hoodlum and thug behaviour on the internet. We do not need to, and should not, contribute to the increasing level of rudeness and the distinct loss of civility in the way people approach each other in our societies these days. It contributes nothing and in fact serves no other purpose than to destroy discussions.
Report dlarssonf July 12, 2017 9:18 AM BST
I would rather not engage in any type of discussion with you tbh , you think passive aggressive is fine , I don't , I think you have value your opinion far too much , and if you think you discuss things in a civilised manner you are sadly mistaken. Maybe some day when you get your head out from your ass I would be happy to discuss whatever it is , until then I would rather you get your passive aggressive thoughts to somebody else , I have given you the benefit of the doubt on far too much occasions down the years
Report edy July 12, 2017 9:25 AM BST
That's too bad. I think we could muster some fruitful discussions. I do not remember having that many discussions with you over the years for you to have the chance to give me the benefit of the doubt down the years. The first one I remember is from a few weeks ago, which went quite well in the end I thought. I am sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way in the years before that already despite never at all having talked to you. I hope we can put these differences behind.
Report dlarssonf July 12, 2017 9:37 AM BST
You rubbing me up the wrong way has probably more to do with me. On that , I apologise for my part and the "uncivilised" manner I spoke too you too.  I would much rather fruitful discussion / debate etc rather than this , so I am more than happy to draw a line under it all and start afresh !!!
Report edy July 12, 2017 9:41 AM BST
Happy
Report johnnythebull July 12, 2017 10:47 AM BST
her 'britishness' will always be a bone of contention
the luvvy dovey meeja here esp at wimbledon will move heaven & earth to have smn 'british' go close to winning
however tenuous the link may be
all the facts have been stated above..ppl can decide for themselves
what i will say is she demonstrated true british bulldog spirit y'day( so ipso facto she has to be britishWink) to come back against Halep
who has previous for not getting over the line
it was a very enjoyable match
both gave of their best
she comes across as a really nice person
she has worked hard,appears to have the requisite winning mentality which so many lack in sport
so in my book whether you want to embrace her as british or not good luck to her
both here and for the future
Report mesmerised July 12, 2017 11:30 AM BST
AAussie newspaper

She’s the one that skipped away. The young eight-year-old kid from Collaroy who picked up a racquet in between trips to the beach in an after school clinic. Now 26, the Australian born daughter of two Hungarian immigrants on Sydney’s northern beaches, Johanna Konta, is now firmly British and leading a revival of women's tennis fortunes in the United Kingdom. Overnight she made the Wimbledon quarterfinals, with one of her Australian tennis friends, Dasha Gavrilova cheering her on.

Konta speaks with a British accent and doesn’t pretend to hold any allegiance to her country of birth, except a humorous reference to her three passports — British, Australian and Hungarian — reminding her of the CIA operative Jason Bourne. When she got her British passport back in 2012 she said: ’’You should have seen the moment I got my passport; I literally ran through the office building and stood on the balcony and screamed “I’ve got my passport!” and got a round of applause. It meant 100% that I was eligible to play Fed Cup (for Britain) and then I got nominated, so it’s really been one good thing after another. To now be actually playing for Great Britain is the cherry on top of the cake.’’

Just why Konta felt so strongly about relinquishing her allegiance to Australia is difficult to understand. She claims she is British because her she spent most of her teenage years in the country, having also spent time training in Spain. But it may also have a bit to do with a crucial cut back support by Tennis Australia when she was beginning high school, although she has never publicly spoken about that.

At the time Tennis Australian officials believed Konta didn’t have the requisite tennis skills to make it big time, ranking her below many of her peers — and so her family decided to move to Europe to be closer to the heart of tennis action.
Report johnnythebull July 12, 2017 11:38 AM BST
advance(or should it be..step back?)Australia fairGrin
Report by purpose July 13, 2017 4:11 PM BST
Knew she was Hungarian.
Report mesmerised July 13, 2017 4:17 PM BST
Know you're a mug.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now