Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
roggrain
05 Jul 17 20:22
| Topic/replies: 2,936 | Blogger: roggrain's blog
Some players scream so loud when hitting the ball that in my view,(and that of ,I understand,Martina Navratilova),  it is cheating.

As a full time coach for thirty years I have had occasion to teach deaf people. They had a very hard time judging the pace of an opponent's shot early enough.

It is essential,imo, to be able to hear the sound of the shot being hit. There are physiological  reasons for grunting from the effort involved but the women

(e.g.Halep playing at the time of writing) are taking it to extremes. What she is doing is totally unnecessary . If I were her opponent I would scream twice as loud

every second or third point, just to make a point. It's  unbearable to watch any of the matches involving these players without hitting the mute button.

(Apologies if this is not the first time this topic has been brought up on here,but this is the first time I've been moved enough to post.)
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Screaming women
Show More
Report Journeyman July 5, 2017 9:27 PM BST
Sharapova made this fashionable. Obviously Seles etc predated her but Maria created the blueprint 13 years ago for what many of these girls aspired to do and be.

Things may reverse as her fall from grace coincides with players coming through that are rejecting the scream/grunt.
Strong example = CiCi Bellis.
Report MR. 69 July 6, 2017 7:54 PM BST
I agree. One is not allowed to yell during a point but one is allowed to grunt. Doesn't make sense.
Report mesmerised July 7, 2017 1:02 AM BST
Remember the Screamathon between Sharapova and De Brito at Wimbledon a few years ago, Masha got a taste of her own medicine which goes to show how off putting it is, also remember Dementieva basically saying she lost matches v Shara because of it but didn't want to complain.
Report lurka July 13, 2017 9:28 AM BST
Azarenka is right up there. It's all done to disguise the sounds of the strings. It has nothing to do with the exertion involved. proof: watch as they hit a shot into the net and the grunt stops immediately
Report lurka July 13, 2017 9:29 AM BST
Azarenka, Halep and Shara all disguise the sound but also continue until the opponent is playing her shot. So it has the double effect of putting the opponent off too. The men do it as well but not usually as loud
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now