Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
alun2005
03 Jul 17 13:03
| Topic/replies: 32,580 | Blogger: alun2005's blog
Only just tuned into the BBC coverage, so not really up to speed yet.

I'm sure many of you will clearly recall from the past 18 years or so that a little puppy is often left free to run around the grounds at SW19.

The long tradition over the years is, I think, that the leading British player effectively takes on the role of being the puppy's master for the fortnight.

The puppy's name is GARETH as I recall, or something close to that. Many times in the past we've seen the puppy running after Andy (and Tim or Greg before that), or jumping up and down excitedly, just hoping for a little doggy biscuit, a pat on the head, or a tasty tidbit of attention from his master.

Sometimes for comedy effect, the clever little puppy carries a microphone with him, as if he's pretending to conduct some sort of searingly important fearless investigative journalist type interview with the player, that some brainless members of the public might want to hear. The very thought of it eh ??

I do hope the dear little puppy's still alive and well though, and running around as fast as his little legs will carry him. Andy's playing today, so the puppy's probably been running around in the sun trying to find him. Or maybe even trying to meet the new girl Johanna for a game of "Shake Paws for a Doggy Biscuit"?

Let's all hope though that the little puppy stays well out of the way of the traffic though. I hear there are some dangerous drivers around, even at Wimbledon, and no-one wants to see another car-crash. 

It would be nice if he is allowed out again tomorrow. Maybe if my old school chum Naomi Wacaday is passing, the puppy could roll over onto his back so she could tickle his tummy.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Is Andy's little puppy at Wimbledon 2017
Show More
Report DonNo1 July 9, 2017 9:58 AM BST
Did you know Al that this year marks the 15th anniversary of that car crash 'interview' when the puppy thrust himself into the spotlight?  I think Tim had let him off his leash and he managed to sneak into the press area and find Kournikova.
Report alun2005 July 9, 2017 10:47 AM BST
Cheers Don. WOW, is it really 15 years? Yes I think it must be.

I haven't seen (better still not even heard) the little puppy this week. Talking of car-crashes, I do hope the little fella wasn't run over, maybe in some awful car accident involving a tennis player who can't possibly be guilty because they are a 'role model'. 

Maybe the little puppy has finally had to be taken to the vet, because his perpetual yapping became too much to bear for some? Certainly some sort of humane act appears to have taken place to spare us our annual ordeal.
Report wisewords July 9, 2017 3:20 PM BST
#BringBackThePuppyForThe2ndWeek
Report alun2005 July 9, 2017 6:19 PM BST
The tennis pros won't tolerate a Wimbledon Week 2 sans the Puppy that's for sure.

After all, when a sweaty top male player comes straight off court having completed a rudimentary 6-3 6-2 6-4 win over a lower-rakned opponent, the victor only wants ONE thing.  He wants to hear the Puppy asking him penetrating questions like "What did it feel like, standing there on Centre Court match point ready to serve?".

Quite honestly I'd expect most of the field to withdraw from next year's renewal in protest if they don't get this elevated level of questioning. Sadly they are unlikely to get it from the current stand-in Impostor Puppies, least of all the man that horse racing fans know as "Richie".
Report wisewords July 9, 2017 7:19 PM BST
can we have a few classic Puppy photographs in this thread to remind people of his glory years?
Report alun2005 July 9, 2017 11:31 PM BST
can we have a few classic Puppy photographs in this thread to remind people of his glory years?

Ideally not I'd have hoped.

Anyway, a much more pressing and worrying issue lies ahead this week. The absence of the Puppy from the Wimbledon BBC Command and Control Centre (a.k.a. the post match interview corridor) during week 1, in favour of younger interlopers leads me to fear that there could even be a Civil War in the BBC Sports Department looming, with all the constitutional crises this will trigger.

Whose side will triumph, the House of Puppy or the House of 'Ritchie', and which camp will gain the favour of Kingmaker Barker?  More to the point whose side are WE on?

Make no mistake, this is about to get VERY ugly. It will divide families. It will make York and Lancaster look as tame as that time when Emmerdale Farm beat Coronation Street in the Britain's Best Soap World Championship.
Report alun2005 July 11, 2017 2:49 PM BST
'Magic Monday' passes without as much of a sniff of the Puppy's territorial p*ss*ngs.

It looks as if the long years of tradition are gone, and we have to bask in the golden memories of the departed.

Let's hope that 'Ritchie' can step up to the mark, although the Puppy's boots are formidable to try and fill.

I've got a suggestion for the new terrier-in-chief. If the American currently occupying Centre Court wins, how about asking 'Will you be having some driving lessons here before you go back to the States?".
Report DonNo1 July 11, 2017 7:05 PM BST
Looks like Phil Jones runs the show now.  Poor puppy must be wondering how he possibly conducts a whole 60 second interview without some inane question slipping out of his mouth.  What a relief he's not let near Jo
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now