Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
scandanavian_haven
05 Nov 16 13:47
| Topic/replies: 10,474 | Blogger: scandanavian_haven's blog
deserves to be there, when he does get there as the rankings don't lie but it's taken him until the age of 29 and a half to make it when Federer is now 35, Nadal might as well be 35 and Djokovic's motivation dropped off a cliff due to personal problems half way through the year, don't think he's as worthy as world number 1 as those 3 who were all World Number 1 when when the competition was much tougher, think he would have to win the next two slams, the two he hasn't won, to really validate it against Novak in the final.

You'd probably have to go back 13 years to when Roddick was Number 1 to find a similar situation, when the competition wasn't as strong as it should be to achieve such a position, apart from Federer who was just breaking through.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View How much weight does Murray's World...
Show More
Report bb66 November 5, 2016 1:06 PM GMT
what really happened to Djoker after RG?
Report mafeking November 5, 2016 2:32 PM GMT
has won a hell of lot of matches to get there. a phenomenal run of something like 53-3 since the beginning of may

it's not like he'd be a weak number 1. more than double the points of stan at no 3
Report scandanavian_haven November 5, 2016 2:38 PM GMT
Raonic has withdrawn so he is the new world Number 1 !
Report DStyle November 5, 2016 2:38 PM GMT
He's not a weak number 1 by any stretch of the imagination.

But we all know that his best comes fourth place after Federer's, Nadal's and Djokovic's.

He could well complete the set of 7 (4 slams, #1 ranking, DC, and Olympic gold) if Djokovic's form doesn't improve, but he will never have the same feather in his cap that Nadal and Djokovic had.

Namely to find a way to beat the best player in the world when they were playing their best tennis on their favourite surface.
Report scandanavian_haven November 5, 2016 2:44 PM GMT
yeah I didn't say he was a weak number 1 at all, but comparing him being at number 1 to when the other three players were, doesn't really compare, it was a far harder task for the other three who had to compete with each other when all 3 were still near or at the top of their game.
Report DStyle November 5, 2016 2:50 PM GMT
definitely

Djokovic's breakthrough came, in part, off the back of doing Nadal in Madrid and Rome, when Nadal was at his best. The look on Nadal's face sometimes in those matches, said it all. The way djokovic took his forehand on the rise on clay and took time away from him was amazing.

Likewise Nadal doing Federer at Wimbledon in 2008. Again beating the best player in the world on their best surface.

Essentially their competition made them better players.

We've been spoilt over the last ten years.
Report mafeking November 5, 2016 2:51 PM GMT
so good players not even daring to play him now Crazy

been very unfortunate to find himself in the greatest era of all time. i'd have him at least the equal of the likes of becker and edberg. he's top 10 (or certainly will be by the time he retires) in a lot of important lists in the open era. the only thing he's short of is grand slam titles. still time to get up to 5 or 6
Report sageform November 5, 2016 3:31 PM GMT
Thoroughly deserved. Brilliant all year and winning Wimbledon and the Olympics is as good as it gets. Just hope he has the energy left to win the O2 tournament as well.
Report bb66 November 5, 2016 3:32 PM GMT
that's a poor way to gain the leadSad. He will probably hold it at least till Wimbledon, but I think Djoker will bounce back. Top 3 after 2017 could be Djoker, Mugray and Potro.
Report scandanavian_haven November 5, 2016 3:41 PM GMT
why do you call him mugray, bb66? don't you rate him ?
Report DStyle November 5, 2016 3:50 PM GMT
Pretty impressive that a woman from Dunblane has developed and nurtured two more world #1 than the LTA has.
Report allyp November 5, 2016 8:42 PM GMT
he probably calls him Mugray because he has some irrational or childish hate / dislike, likely many in this country.
Report northanlite November 5, 2016 11:49 PM GMT
It is what it is. Murray has been a top 5 player for years and now has hit no1.

I think Andy Murray is very good at playing tennis. At the moment nobody is better,
Report rolloskinner November 6, 2016 12:00 AM GMT
Not much as it is quite frankly ridiculous that a player who has won just one slam in three years is the world number one.
Report mafeking November 6, 2016 12:12 AM GMT
yeah but he wasn't number 1 in mid 2013 when he held 2 slams, the olympic title and reached the final of another slam. there are other tournaments. swings and roundabouts
Report brain dead jockeys November 6, 2016 1:33 AM GMT
most important year of his career is 2017.........nadal and fed are finished..........joko is losing interest and the rest are rubbish...........he should win at least 2 majors.
Report Platini November 6, 2016 3:31 PM GMT
of course he's not as good as the 3 GOATS, FFS !!   but being No.1 in this era is an incredible achievement for a British player, even more for a Scottish player

phenomenal phenomenal achievement
Report brain dead jockeys November 8, 2016 5:26 PM GMT
Tier 1 - Fed, Nadal, Joko, Laver, Sampras, Borg
Tier 2 - Lendl, Agassi, MCenroe, Connors, Rosewall, Tilden, Perry
Tier 3 - Edberg, becker, Wilander, Murray

murray is playing in the most difficult era
Report scandanavian_haven November 8, 2016 7:02 PM GMT
Laver ? pretty sure Murray and every other top 100 player today would beat him then or now.
Report brain dead jockeys November 8, 2016 7:19 PM GMT
u cant compare tennis now to the 60's..........laver won 2 calender grand slams..........incredible
Report bb66 November 10, 2016 6:22 PM GMT
and he probably would have won some more GS tournaments from '63 to '67, if he hadn't changed to the pro tour before the start of the open era, likely would have more than anyone else!
Report Angoose December 28, 2016 12:19 PM GMT
I recently came across an Andy Murray quote that must have come from 2012 that I missed at the time.

"I used to think that losing made you more hungry and determined but after my success at the Olympics and the U.S. Open I realize that winning is the biggest motivation."

His work ethic has always been incredible, that quote helps explain why he has been able to maintain it and gives rise to cautious optimism that he'll kick on from reaching number one.
Report scandanavian_haven May 11, 2017 5:10 PM BST
Looking like a terrible world number 1 so far
Report wisewords May 11, 2017 5:13 PM BST
he's had the shingles. he's not a robot. only stupid people would expect him to be playing world number 1 standard right now.
Report scandanavian_haven May 11, 2017 5:26 PM BST
he only had that for a couple of weeks after Australia, 3 months ago
Report wisewords May 11, 2017 5:38 PM BST
and how do you think that effected his body? illness that attacks the body like that takes weeks/months to recover from. some like glandular fever can take up to 2 years to recover, and sometimes you never feel like your old self again
Report scandanavian_haven May 11, 2017 5:45 PM BST
Andy Murray, who won his Dubai opener on Tuesday, wasn't quite sure he had shingles until his mother-in-law got involved. Murray had returned from the Australian Open and had noticed a rash developing on his side.
“I had a little bit of a rash basically like on my bum 'round to kind of my stomach, and it wasn't terrible. But then normally if you have a little bit of a rash and you scratch it, it feels better. But with that, it was really, really painful.
“I didn't think much of it at the beginning, and then it was actually my wife's mum, we were having dinner, and I was, like, 'This is really irritating'. She was, like, 'Pull your pants down. Show me. It might be shingles,'” Murray said to laughs on Tuesday.
“I was, like, 'OK'. Then the next day, got a doctor, and she was right.”
Murray continued, saying his wife's mum probably guessed shingles, or adult chickenpox, because her son Scott had experienced the illness in the past. “It's quite strange,” Murray said of the illness, “because it comes in like an arc and it doesn't go past the centre of your body. It stays on one side.”
Murray fans shouldn't worry, though. He said he took some anti-viral medicine and applied a cream, and that he's all better.
“The rash is completely gone now, and I felt fine when I was training. I don't think I'd be able to do what I was doing out there this evening if [I still had it],” he said. “A lot of people said that afterwards, once the rash is gone, that you can feel very tired for quite a few weeks, a number of weeks afterwards. I was maybe a little bit more tired than usual at the beginning, but I really feel fine now.”

That was in Dubai!
Report wisewords May 11, 2017 5:47 PM BST
Well I've competed in sport at a fringe professional level and when I got glandular fever I rubbish for the next 12 months.
Report wisewords May 11, 2017 5:48 PM BST
I was* I lacked energy and I slept for long periods. It took a while to feel myself again
Report wisewords May 11, 2017 5:49 PM BST
"A lot of people said that afterwards, once the rash is gone, that you can feel very tired for quite a few weeks, a number of weeks afterwards."
Report wisewords May 11, 2017 5:51 PM BST
he's not beaten anyone decent since AO. even in Dubai and Barcelona where he played relatively well, he didn't beat anyone great.
Report scandanavian_haven May 11, 2017 6:44 PM BST
he said was feeling good.

I hope he is doing a Federer and saving himself for the French.
Report caramba May 11, 2017 7:12 PM BST
It's not the first time Murray has been mugging for months. It's more noticable now though since he's World no 1. and after the incredible results he had from clay season on last year though.
Report morrillo May 11, 2017 7:43 PM BST
Greats peak at an early age. Nadal and Federer for example. Djokovic's 25-11 head to head over Murray speaks for itself. Murray isn't a clay guy and the other three can play as good on the surface as any other. His weight as number one only exists on Hard court. FFs he's been putting up how much he can't wait to play in Queens club repeatedly on Facebook during the clay season when he's actually playing on clay. That's pretty weak
Report mafeking May 12, 2017 2:04 PM BST
suppose it also shows how long it can take for the rankings to catch up with reality. murray was clearly the number 1 player a fair bit before the rankings caught up and now he's still miles ahead (although not for much longer if he keeps playing like this) even he clearly isn't number 1 at the moment

a weird situation for mens tennis at the moment in that it would be difficult to say who's number 1. fed dominated early on after 6 months off, now rafa mopping up on clay with no real opposition with djokovic and murray both way below their usual levels
Report n88uk May 12, 2017 6:43 PM BST
It's always like that. Because the rankings reflect a year, unless someone is just winning everything over a 12 month period like say Djokovic was this time last year it will take a while for the rankings to reflect reality.

The #1 is going to be way open anyway. Nadal looks like he will have a sizeable lead after RG but generally doesn't have that many good events post-RG. It's only really the US swing he's done anything post-RG in a long, long time.
Report The Bhoys May 13, 2017 3:24 PM BST
Djockovic at his best was absololoutly unreal
Report scandanavian_haven May 16, 2017 10:34 PM BST
the way he is playing, he might as well do a Federer and skip the French like he did in 2013 which helped him to win Wimbledon that year.
Report wisewords May 16, 2017 10:48 PM BST
I agree. He needs to rest alot to let his body recover properly. He would reap the benfits long term if he did that.
Report northanlite May 17, 2017 10:31 AM BST
He never really had an off season after loads of intense tennis getting to almost every final going.
Then illness & elbow injury so he has a few excuses. Nadal had a similar slump while coming back from
injury & takes a while to get it all functioning again.
He looks really jaded so maybe he should skip French too cos he won't go far playing like that.
Where is Lendl?
Report mafeking May 17, 2017 1:54 PM BST
think he's flying in from the states this week
Report northanlite May 17, 2017 3:18 PM BST
^ He's got to earn his wages this time.
Murray might want to keep Eastbourne as an option if he goes out the French early. Queens is a really strong field so
who knows how far he'll get it that.
Report n88uk May 19, 2017 1:03 PM BST
He'll never play Eastbourne imo. He'd be better off taking a WC the week after RG if he loses early in RG, but he probably won't because the events aren't in the UK.

What happened to ATP Nottingham?
Report northanlite May 19, 2017 1:26 PM BST
The Nottingham event has been moved back to Eastbourne
Report grumpyjim May 22, 2017 10:12 PM BST
Glandular FEVER  has been known to knock out PRO  dancers for a year and more .. A BIT Lifeless and have to stop as feel drained for a long time .. /
Report northanlite May 24, 2017 10:29 AM BST
Glandular fever? Don't think that is what Murray was suffering from, Shingles wasn't it?
That is another virus that can hang around for a while tho
Report wisewords June 20, 2017 6:17 PM BST

May 11, 2017 -- 5:13PM, wisewords wrote:

he's had the shingles. he's not a robot. only stupid people would expect him to be playing world number 1 standard right now.

you believe me now? viral illnesses are no joke.

Report northanlite June 20, 2017 8:01 PM BST
Has anybody seen Andy Murray's forehand anywhere? It's gone missing
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now