Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mesmerised
21 Aug 16 21:39
| Topic/replies: 24,879 | Blogger: mesmerised's blog
only, no cats, Taylor Swift, Eurovision, WWE, politics, American sports or any other kind of waffle, if you wanna talk about those topics use the mega tart threads, I'll probably end up talking to myself but at least I'll get more sense although maybe more posters, new posters, old posters, different posters will come out of the woodwork, the forum is currently on a life support machine

In today's news, Pliskova won Cincy thrashing Kerber and Murray is playing Cilic in the Cincinnati final aiming for 23 wins in a row
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Pure Tennis Talking thread
Show More
Report bb66 August 29, 2016 3:53 PM BST
Thiem at first has to survive r3 (Querrey) and r4 (delPo/Ferrer/Johnson), he will be very happy if he makes the QF.
Report northanlite August 29, 2016 5:56 PM BST
Kyle Edmund's forehand was a brute today. Gasguet struggling but still an excellent performance.
First seed bites the dust, Klizan looks like he will folow.
Report tyco161 August 29, 2016 6:39 PM BST
Hi mesmerised, I know Murray is not a shoe in but what I mean is that my price on Murray (to lay) would look silly. So not confident laying Murray unless Djoker is in the field and playing... Hope that makes sense.
Report mesmerised August 29, 2016 8:45 PM BST
Yeah, JJ although a head case is bright enough to attack that back hand all night long, expect a lot of serves out wide, will know more about where Djoker stands tonight.

Anyone seen Tiafoe play before, saw bits and pieces v Goffin at Indian wells but that was it.
Report mesmerised August 29, 2016 8:46 PM BST
The again, jj misses a helluva lot of first and second servesSad
Report nofx August 29, 2016 9:05 PM BST

Aug 28, 2016 -- 3:51PM, aaronh wrote:

looking forward to mesmerised running the suicide pools again after the great olympics job

mes is a great host, the song he played me for my clean sweep of gold medals(!) was totally awesome

Report mesmerised August 29, 2016 11:00 PM BST
I am a great host, but too many tabs/spreadsheets/screens on the go atm to run anything else.

Cirstea has bagelled first set, first step towards her relentless march towards US Open glory
Report mouse trap August 30, 2016 12:11 AM BST
you say? Plain
Report nofx August 30, 2016 12:14 AM BST
Sad
Report aaronh August 30, 2016 12:16 AM BST

Aug 29, 2016 -- 11:00PM, mesmerised wrote:

I am a great host, but too many tabs/spreadsheets/screens on the go atm to run anything else.Cirstea has bagelled first set, first step towards her relentless march towards US Open glory

Laugh

Report Journeyman August 30, 2016 12:30 AM BST
While the faces of Murray and Djokovic illuminate tv screens and groupthink billboards across New York, mister J W Tsonga moves safely into the second round.
Report jewell August 30, 2016 12:45 AM BST
Wouldn't mind a Fritz comeback here. Seems like there's been a fair few 0-2 comebacks already.
Report edy August 30, 2016 1:29 AM BST
Did Cirstea win?
Report DStyle August 30, 2016 1:33 AM BST
no. ALLLMIGHTY choke.
Report Journeyman August 30, 2016 1:37 AM BST
I can recall the pain when Daniella bagelled the first set of her AO semi and then lost.
It was like every trip to the dentist of my life squeezed into about an hour.

So take it easy on Mesmerised, you orrible lot
Report DStyle August 30, 2016 1:51 AM BST
mto on the right arm after 5 games Shocked

one handed bh slices

and still sub 3s.

there is no way on god's earth he wins this tournament.
Report edy August 30, 2016 2:25 AM BST

Aug 30, 2016 -- 1:37AM, Journeyman wrote:

I can recall the pain when Daniella bagelled the first set of her AO semi and then lost.It was like every trip to the dentist of my life squeezed into about an hour.So take it easy on Mesmerised, you orrible lot

Not a hint of blaming Squeaky Shoes? What's up?

Report Journeyman August 30, 2016 2:25 AM BST
A quiet and assured performance from Konta. She channels intensity and focus so efficiently, moreso than the other Brit women.

Playing a home favourite, and in the glare of an expectant media, she effortlessly imposed herself on her environment.
Report tyco161 August 30, 2016 2:30 AM BST
DStyle, are you referring to Djocovic? Will be interesting to see what price he is at after this game, assuming he wins v Janowics. I think Murray may be favourite if Djoker keeps playing like he is mid way through second set.
Report Journeyman August 30, 2016 2:40 AM BST
Not a hint of blaming Squeaky Shoes? What's up?

Trainer-gate remains the greatest tennis crime of the 21st Century edy.

But eight years on, I have to keep it locked behind a door in my mind for sanity's sake. Devil
Report Journeyman August 30, 2016 3:34 AM BST
It's in the changeovers. That's where Novak looks like he's continuously using meditative / detachment techniques to manage real physical pain.
Report mesmerised August 30, 2016 8:56 AM BST
Nothing wrong with given a fellow countrywomen a leg up the rankings.

Novak has drifted and rightly so, market can see through the fact that if jj wasn't so non compos and hadn't of made 13 double faults, 50 UE's, and 1000 inopportune drop shots, he might have beaten him, Vesely will at least harness the biggest strength jj should have to a greater effect. The less talented McEnroe brother thinks he's faking it anyway.
Report DStyle August 30, 2016 12:21 PM BST
tyco161 30 Aug 16 02:30 
DStyle, are you referring to Djocovic? Will be interesting to see what price he is at after this game, assuming he wins v Janowics. I think Murray may be favourite if Djoker keeps playing like he is mid way through second set.

yep. I suppose the slight issue is that with Gasquet out he's not really got anyone competent until next week so unless he pulls out you're going to be waiting a bit.

but i'll keep saying it: the issue is NOT the extent of the injury, it's that he's extremely bad at handling physical distractions. his game requires a pretty intense focus and it's way more binary than it is gradated.
Report tyco161 August 30, 2016 7:24 PM BST
Cheers DStyle, not sure I appreciated the bad handling of the distractions that he faces. The more binary than gradated does make sense looking back. I think Murray will have him easy if they do meet in the final....
Report DStyle August 30, 2016 8:14 PM BST
I sincerely doubt he'll make it that far.

anyhoo. in others news robson is VERY short against broady. I'd say broady is the 1.66 fave.
Report mesmerised August 30, 2016 8:40 PM BST
Pretty even tennis match thus far, you just feel Robson will come through this though.
Report mesmerised August 30, 2016 8:43 PM BST
Robson going for a record amount of fake ball tosses, it's not that windy
Report tyco161 August 30, 2016 8:48 PM BST
Interesting drift on Djocovic too. Last night he came in steadily from 3's to 2.74 or thereabouts and I could not work out why. Now he has drifted to 3.15. Its an illiquid market but wondering why the drift is so big so late?
Report tommo1000 August 30, 2016 9:19 PM BST
broady is the worst mover on a tennis court iv`e ever seen,a female karlovic imo
Report mesmerised August 30, 2016 9:22 PM BST
Broady's physique is very Sharapova-esque as is her footwork
Report tommo1000 August 30, 2016 9:27 PM BST
masha is very quick round the court,broady resembles the walking statue from Jason and the Argonauts,if it wasn't for her lethal serve she`d be on the challenger tour perenially
Report tommo1000 August 30, 2016 9:33 PM BST
small punt on the babelicous Julie georges to beat terminal choker wickmayerTongue Out
Report DStyle August 30, 2016 9:38 PM BST
masha isn't that quick. definitely not in the premier leagues of movers, slow turning in particular.

it's why serena demolishes her.
Report tommo1000 August 30, 2016 9:44 PM BST
laura looks crestfallen,but this is the wta,she`ll probably win the next easilyConfused
Report Journeyman August 30, 2016 9:45 PM BST
Robson will be back on snapchat pretty sharpish unless she can find a way to blow this off its current course.
To be fair she does look like she's giving it a bit of thought.
Report mesmerised August 30, 2016 9:48 PM BST
Don't think Shara can be described as quick, not laterally and definitely not moving forward to the net, it's comical watching her trying to retrieve a drop shot. Bambi on ice comes to mind

Andy Murray is now favourite
Report edy August 30, 2016 10:03 PM BST

Aug 30, 2016 -- 9:45PM, Journeyman wrote:

Robson will be back on snapchat pretty sharpish unless she can find a way to blow this off its current course.To be fair she does look like she's giving it a bit of thought.

What's her snapchat?

Report tommo1000 August 30, 2016 10:08 PM BST
babestastic,sexy minx Julie goerges takes the first setLoveLoveLoveLoveLove
Report mesmerised August 31, 2016 6:54 PM BST
Vesely pulled out. More wrist rest for Novak, Isner will knock him out instead in R4.
Report Journeyman August 31, 2016 8:29 PM BST
Konta up a set but setpouint down looks like she can't play on. Hyperventilating :(
Report DStyle August 31, 2016 8:32 PM BST
she needs a f*cking doctor
Report tommo1000 August 31, 2016 8:37 PM BST
surely she`s not continuing
Report wisewords August 31, 2016 9:39 PM BST

Aug 31, 2016 -- 8:32PM, DStyle wrote:

she needs a f*cking doctor

you mean an oscar.

Report bb66 August 31, 2016 9:45 PM BST
Why did Harrison take a bathroom break with momentum on his side? Punished immediately!
Report mesmerised August 31, 2016 9:59 PM BST
When you have to go, you have to go.
Report mesmerised August 31, 2016 11:12 PM BST
I should have mentioned beforehand that Harrison has a good recent record v Serbebots over the last year or so, beaten Isner / Karlovic / Cilic and now Raonic.
Report Journeyman August 31, 2016 11:13 PM BST
So can Day 'do an Oudin'. Against Brengle she came in with an effective gameplan and the compoure to stick with it despite the distraction of Brengle's injury. Keys is a tough proposition but canbbe vulnerable on the big stage (her last two slam matches being a shaky start against Riske and the meltdown against Halep at Wimbledon.)

At 12s, could guile, youth and a cool head win the Day?
Report winningthought August 31, 2016 11:26 PM BST
I like Kayla and I like long prices. I'm looking forward to the match, although I'm not as optimistic as you Happy

Brengle/Keys is like chalk/cheese.
Report mesmerised August 31, 2016 11:48 PM BST
Day has a good left serve with a lot of slice which is her advantage, i.e. lefties play righties 90%+ of the time, righties play lefties less than 10% of the time, but playing in front of 8000 people at 16 you can only imagine how overawed she'll be. Said in her interview with US tv she and her coach have been analysing the tactics of the other lefties like Kerber. Her Junior match v potapova is on youtube, has a good clean hitting forehand shot.
Report mnbfrankel September 1, 2016 9:25 PM BST
How about Ginaessi taking a set against Wawrikna at 3.50? He is a tough player when fully fit and Wawrinka cant keep his head right entire three set http://www.flashscore.com/match/xnPyFHAr/#h2h;all
Report wisewords September 2, 2016 2:14 AM BST

Sep 1, 2016 -- 9:25PM, mnbfrankel wrote:

How about Ginaessi taking a set against Wawrikna at 3.50? He is a tough player when fully fit and Wawrinka cant keep his head right entire three set http://www.flashscore.com/match/xnPyFHAr/#h2h;all

so far so good, mnbfrankel!

Report wisewords September 2, 2016 2:38 AM BST
he choked so hard.
Report mesmerised September 2, 2016 7:45 PM BST
Konta is just a much sweeter hitter of the ball than Bencic, perfect weather conditions this time.
Report Journeyman September 2, 2016 7:58 PM BST
Osaka absolutely annihilating Keys here in front of a somewhat stunned crowd.
Absolute conviction throughout this set
Report northanlite September 2, 2016 8:11 PM BST
Cilic gets a shock from Sock Shocked
Surprise result but really surprising how easy it was.
Report mesmerised September 2, 2016 9:26 PM BST
Just 4 and a half sets for Djokovic in 3 rounds. Cake walk.
Report northanlite September 2, 2016 9:33 PM BST
he'll be a bit rusty come next week Silly
Report DStyle September 2, 2016 9:53 PM BST
very odd shot from the fat waiter in the 2nd set at 30*-40, 2*-1.

very odd. not out of position, no bad bounce, piss weak 7 year old bunt back in monfils' mid court, duly dispatched.
Report northanlite September 3, 2016 7:02 AM BST
only just caught up with the recording of Kyle Edmund's win. Looks like the boy is becoming a man.
He doesn't have all that much to work on to be a top 20 player imo so the whether he does or not is up to his mental strength. As he reaches his peak a lot of very good players will be exiting the game so the chances will be there. 4th round points should see him closing in on the top 50.
His forehand is already up there with the best around.
Easy 4th round match to come too Cool
Report DStyle September 3, 2016 3:08 PM BST
he did well, but was assisted by a fair amount of kamikaze s&v from isner.
Report DStyle September 4, 2016 12:29 AM BST
Tsonga (nod to Journeyman) and Monfils both looking rather big outright.
Report mesmerised September 4, 2016 2:53 PM BST
A Shame for Evans, and there was Marchenko waiting in the next round which was more than winnable, 360 points for a QF would have got him into top 40. Woz looks like  a good price.
Report northanlite September 4, 2016 4:05 PM BST
i really thought Evans was going to win that but then on match point he had a huge grin on his face and said something towards the crowd or his box or somebody. Dunno exactly what he said but i heard the words "match point" in the sentance and thought oh oh. As difficult as it is he had to try and see it as just the next point and focus on winning it.
It was kind of odd and i've never seen that before. It wasn't as though he choked exactly but he was over exited and lost his focus.
Report mesmerised September 4, 2016 8:35 PM BST
Woz looks like  a good price.
Grin
Report mesmerised September 4, 2016 10:06 PM BST
Do we really need 3 commentators on one match ffs, especially when one of them is such a Nadal fanboy he insists Pouille is lucky he is to 1-1 with a break in 3rd, yes, pure luck JohnCrazy
Report mesmerised September 5, 2016 12:37 AM BST
1.14 with 3mp at 36 in 5th set TB, that's faith. Match up v Monfils looks like another 4 hour 4/5 set match.
Report northanlite September 5, 2016 1:07 AM BST
sevastova looks like she is having a mental breakdownShocked
Report northanlite September 5, 2016 1:20 AM BST
got her act together tho. weeping between points must help.
i'm giving it a go Silly
Report Journeyman September 6, 2016 3:56 AM BST
In contrast Ana's contained body language is giving nothing to Radwanska, (who often seems to derive energy from creating visible frustration in her opponents.)
Report Journeyman September 6, 2016 4:01 AM BST
Whether she's duffing a shot into the net or bringing the house down with a flashing winner, Konjuh just skulks about as if she's been caught having a p1ss behind the headmaster's car.
Report Journeyman September 6, 2016 5:02 PM BST
Konjuh certainly has the weapons and I picked her a couple of weeks ago (on the 'Predict 2 rank outsiders to win a slam' thread) as being ready to step up, though not necessarily as soon as this tournament.

But the single moment in last night's match that suggests she's ready in her head to actually win here was when she was serving for the match and some random burst of noise on the tannoy gave her (and anyone watching) a shock. She collected herself, gave a little wry smile, and calmly served out with a minimum of fuss. This being an 18 year old, ranked 98 before the start, about to put out one of the top 5 to get into a slam QF.
I like 3.1-3.25 ish on here against Pliskova and 48s to win outright
Report mesmerised September 6, 2016 9:45 PM BST
I didn't realise Konjuh was that young either, think someone on here has been promoting her since the juniors, probably why she seems like she's been around years.

Djokovic first real test tonight, I can't see him winning in straights.
Report northanlite September 7, 2016 7:15 AM BST
Has Djokovic broken some record here for least time spent on court to make a slam semi final?
Report mesmerised September 7, 2016 12:20 PM BST
Monfils has spent 9 and half hours on court and Djokovic just over 6 and half, so fortunately he wont be facing a fatigued Monfils, no real physical or mental battles and only really a couple of longish games. And remember this, nobody beats Gael Monfils THIRTEEN times in a rowGrin
Report northanlite September 7, 2016 12:43 PM BST
i guess you could argue monfils might have an advantage as he's not had a hard time himself with a day off between matches and had better match practise. 2 retirements and a total walkover is pretty handy if you have an injury niggle tho
Report Journeyman September 7, 2016 10:16 PM BST
Not to take anything away from Nishikori but surely a lot of this is about Djokovic.
The combination of the injured/not injured shenanigans and the easy run he's had.

It like Novak is beating Murray from the comfort of his hotel room..
Report northanlite September 7, 2016 10:42 PM BST
dunno if djokovic has anything to do with it but mentally poor from murray. he let one incident that was annoying but should not have been that big a deal bother him for half an hour and has generated so much negative energy. he forgets where is is on the scoreboard sometimes.
also his forehand has been p1sh.
Report tornado September 7, 2016 11:20 PM BST
Muggy is out! Who made him fav to win here? The mug would not properly shake Kei Nishikori hand. Not a true sports man. Hope murray neva wins a slam again. He will never be a great tennis player only for those in UK. Rest of the world don't know him
Report Platini September 7, 2016 11:33 PM BST
nishi looks awful short at 9/1 outright given the huge obstacles that remain.
Report northanlite September 7, 2016 11:49 PM BST
nishi was a beaten man. he didn't believe he could win and then murray took a ridiculous strop, let him back in and gave him the belief back.
i thought he had cut that nonsense out. i wouldn't blame Lendl if he decided he didn't need to put up with that cr@p anymore or at least told him he wouldn't.
Report mesmerised September 8, 2016 12:05 AM BST
He's like a spoilt brat at times, how can you have that much experience as a player, worked under so many coaches and now have Lendl in your corner, and at the age of 29, now a dad, still crumble into a heap for 2 and half sets, and all because of a spontaneous noise, it didn't affect Nishi so why let it affect you. How bad was his first serves, he would have been better off starting off with a second serve just get a ball inCrazy

Reminds me of one of the finals at Oz, distracted by what was going on with Novak who was playing the injury card trick again, learn your lesson ffs.

Being indoors is no excuse, that doesn't stop you returning balls well or serving over a net.

Personally want Monfils to win to make it a watchable final, seems more focused than ever and less interested in being the clown, will probably revert to mental midget type though.
Report mesmerised September 9, 2016 11:02 PM BST
mesmerised

25 Aug 16 18:23 Joined:

I want to big up Monfils as he's playing as well as ever but doesn't know how to beat the top players, always seems to get a set of Novak but lost all 12 matches.

And so it came to pass
Report Platini September 9, 2016 11:05 PM BST
Murray will be kicking himself. Joker is there for the taking right now.
Report Journeyman September 9, 2016 11:24 PM BST
Well it's definitely Wawrinka's chance to gatecrash the Big Four party for good. Winning three times as many slams as Murray in three calendar years would have to mean an official seat in Club Elite
Report tommo1000 September 9, 2016 11:27 PM BST
a real 50/50 game,took the odds on stan,he`s a better grinder than kei,the murray game might have taken something out of him as well
Report DStyle September 9, 2016 11:51 PM BST
wawa is going to lose if he waits for openings. kei will get in a flat one soon enough and push him back and then he's in trouble. has to be aggressive early.
Report tommo1000 September 10, 2016 9:18 PM BST
had a few quid on pliskova to beat kerber,her serve will be crucial tonight
Report northanlite September 12, 2016 8:29 AM BST
that was an odd tournie on the mens side. nobody played that well, retirements galore and lots of injury niggles for others along with some very flat performances from guys you thought would want it more.
it could be it was too tough a season for many going into this event. we've seen similar from top players at the US before but pretty much everyone looked a bit below standard in this one.
well done stan for being last man standing tho. i could not have believed that after dan evans nearly put him out.
Report mesmerised September 12, 2016 10:54 AM BST
Last slam of the year and everyone's a bit knackered, won 6 out of 6 Aussie finals played at the start f the year but 2 out of 7 in New York at the end.
Report Hank Hill September 13, 2016 12:21 AM BST
Blame the shi tty Olympics - one of the worst majors I've viewed in a while.
Report mesmerised September 13, 2016 7:44 AM BST
Pretty dull.
Report mesmerised September 13, 2016 7:59 AM BST
Lisiki must be one of the most demoralised players on tour, from 12th to 113th and now German N°8 behind Beck, Witthoeft and the hopeless Goerges....3 years making Wimbledon final.
Report mesmerised September 13, 2016 7:59 AM BST
and just lost the first set to larssonSad
Report mouse trap September 13, 2016 8:34 AM BST
and the second as well.

BoomBoomBine hold her serve 3x (!) in the whole match, broken six times
Report mesmerised September 13, 2016 8:39 AM BST
She might have to start relying on Wildcards to get into main draw slams next year at this rate.
Report SabineIsGOAT September 13, 2016 3:49 PM BST
she should have already started playing itf's but seems to refuse to until she has no other choice because she's barely won matches on the main tour all year
Report DStyle September 15, 2016 7:44 PM BST
talking of playing ITFs, it does seem that Robson may have turned a corner.

oh for all those PR entries she spunked away when she wasn't ready.
Report SabineIsGOAT September 16, 2016 3:24 PM BST
funny how her finding a bit of form started with a match she was going to lose before Moore retired
Report mega88 September 17, 2016 11:48 PM BST
Dear God he's on here as well Shocked
Report mesmerised April 22, 2018 9:53 PM BST
Bump.

Caramba has resigned from the weekly tennis threads, might as well use this in the meantime for anyone that actually wants to.
Though tbh, I think the end is nigh.

Kind Regards.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now