Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
thetitan
27 Jun 10 01:18
| Topic/replies: 5,513 | Blogger: thetitan's blog
He only dropped one set I think, to Gulbis...before winning in 5 vs fed.

So far he's lost to Lopez in Queens, never came close to losing to Petch or Haase but has dropped 2 sets to virtual nobodies. Personally haven't noticed a huge difference in the way he's playing...everything looks pretty similar to me...

Similar to when he lost against Lopez at queens, I couldn't really fathom how he'd lost that game...he played a fair bit better and apart from one easy missed smash in the first set TB, I'm struggling to find reasons as to why he's dropping sets so easily.

FWIW, 1.1 vs PHM is crazy short...surely a lay to back.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View Difference between Rafa 2 years ago @...
Show More
Report horsenipples June 27, 2010 3:14 AM BST
Rafa of 2008 was still running for everything.  Now he thinks before going for a low percentage winner.  Rafa is slower  off of the mark and he knows that any extreme moves may result in injury.  He's like bad back Agassi only not quite that restricted....yet.  Can still do everything except make improbable winners.
Report captain234 June 27, 2010 11:22 AM BST
PHM is dump and nadal is real value at 1.1

he wins in 3 sets forget about that
Report the nugget June 27, 2010 11:28 AM BST
Big difference in his mind not just body imo, easier being number 2 than number 1. What made Pete and Roger so great was how comfortable they were with being on that pedlar-stool at the top of the game.
Report lucardo079. June 27, 2010 11:39 AM BST
Players play fearless against him at the moment, going for winners. More importantly he does hit the ball flatter than a year ago, less topspin. Some say because his earlier play caused him to lose the FO to Soderling. This results, however, in him being more vulnerable now to other players aside from Soderling.
Report Jimmy Commas June 27, 2010 11:49 AM BST
I really don`t think there is any need to put too much emphasise on the Lopez defeat, best of 3 on grass at Queens often the difference is one or 2 points especially if the lower ranked player is playing a great match.
The difference between 2008 and 2010 I think is simply no more than that 2 of Nadal`s 3 opponents so far have played the match of their lives, at least to this point in their careers. It happens, unusual for 2 in  row though in the same tournament.

Remember Cowan v Sampras? It happens, but who won the match is what counts.
Report A_T June 27, 2010 12:06 PM BST
doesn't get to as much as he did before 2009
Report Jimmy Commas June 27, 2010 12:33 PM BST
Not suprising if the  performance of his opponents is opponents is of a higher level compared to 2008. I don`t think either of his 1st 3 round opponents played as well as Haase and Petzschner.

R128      Andreas Beck (GER)       122      W 6-4, 6-4, 7-6      Stats
R64     Ernests Gulbis (LAT)     48     W 5-7, 6-2, 7-6(2),6-3     Stats
R32     Nicolas Kiefer (GER)     32     W 7-6(3), 6-2, 6-3     Stats
R16     Mikhail Youzhny (RUS)     17     W 6-3, 6-3, 6-1     Stats
Q     Andy Murray (GBR)     11     W 6-3, 6-2, 6-4     Stats
S     Rainer Schuettler (GER)     94     W 6-1, 7-6(3), 6-4     Stats
W     Roger Federer (SUI)     1     W 6-4, 6-4, 6-7(5), 6-7(8), 9-7
Report burnt-out June 27, 2010 12:39 PM BST
the courts are a lot quicker
Report petr cech June 27, 2010 12:49 PM BST
The courts do appear to be a little quicker this year or perhaps I'm imagining it. I can't imagine they really changed much.

The real difference? Dr Fuentes is on vacation.
Report horsenipples June 28, 2010 1:43 AM BST
"More importantly he does hit the ball flatter than a year ago, less topspin."

He's doing this to shorten the points and spare his body.  So he'll net more backhands.  Real strength of the Nadal game was consistency and great defence because of his speed. But his biggest strength was and still is his mental strength. 

Last match he showed uncharacteristic anger and frustration.  For good reason of course.  Two guys he should be able to whack take him to five sets and his knee is bothering him.  He's not Federer.  He doesn't like low ranked players jerking him around, even in a losing effort.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now