Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ahorsewithnoname
23 Dec 17 09:06
| Topic/replies: 45,491 | Blogger: ahorsewithnoname's blog
The crazy World of Specials betting is famously littered with many losing odds on shots. This isn’t one of them…

Following on from timbuctooth 2014 FOTY, bearcub 2015 FOTY and squares and myself’s joint reign for 2016, we are both very happy to announce, after much deliberation, heated debate and head scratching (I might have exaggerated a little there), that the FORUMITE OF THE YEAR award for 2017 goes to the esteemed hemsby

Hemsby is a credit to the forum (and to his ancestry bloodline!) in every way, his posts are always worth reading and his recent trains for Iain Lee and The Lovely Debbie McGee were both inspired tipping, put up when both were big odds, and although neither train quite reached their deserved first place destination (in some people's opinion!), Iain (traded long odds on for Top Male and was robbed of that achievement) and Debbie (matched as low as 2.58), backers were able to trade very profitably

Well done hemsby, it’s a thoroughly well deserved accolade (and frankly was a very easy choice), and serves you right for inventing this award!

With special thanks from squares for being SCD scoring and ITT training clips and fashion understudy - not long before you take over completely (he says)!

Happy Christmas to all the regulars on here, the posters fallen by the wayside for whatever reason (please say hello bails!) and the lurkers (timbuctooth says don't be shy!) and here's hoping for a PROSPEROUS New Year
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View ***** Forumite of the Year 2017 *****
Show More
Report squares December 23, 2017 9:42 AM GMT
Did I really agree to this?
Report squares December 23, 2017 9:43 AM GMT
Only joking - same choice reached independently, and that is even considering how much I hate trains.

VWD Hems - well deserved to a forum stalwart.

ps:  you don't have to love your winners so fervently.
Report squares December 23, 2017 9:43 AM GMT
Only joking - same choice reached independently, and that is even considering how much I hate trains.

VWD Hems - well deserved to a forum stalwart.

ps:  you don't have to love your winners so fervently.
Report Froggitt December 23, 2017 9:44 AM GMT
Before reading the above, please go here https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Challenge/dp/B003RCJ1NA press play, and then read horse's speech. If you can't be bothered, just hum the dambusters music to yourself, it's pretty much the same. Only lasts 30 seconds, but some of us oldsters would give their eye teeth......

Great choice horse and squares, Hems is a most deserved winner. Had a great ride on the TLDM train with him, and the thing that marks him out as a great specials punter, not just a good one, is knowing not only when to get in, but when to get out.

Looking forward to more successful trains in 2018.
Report squares December 23, 2017 9:44 AM GMT
Repeating myself again Sad

Merry Crimbo and Atb for 2018 everyone
Report Froggitt December 23, 2017 9:46 AM GMT
u2 squares. great job with the SCD scoring as ever. Surely one day our Shirl will come knocking on your door asking you to take over the official Beeb scoreboard.
Report squares December 23, 2017 9:48 AM GMT
Laugh cheers Frog
Report hemsby December 23, 2017 10:15 AM GMT
BlushLove

I’ve had this winners speech prepared for about 4 years now .....about bl00dy time Grin

Many thanks horse & sq and Frog for your kind words.Can’t help but think I’ve been rewarded for crashing trains but I’m not complaining.The forum has unfortunately become a little quieter over the course of the last few years but hopefully that trend is reversed next year

Let’s hope 2018 is a happy and prosperous one for all forumites.
Report Froggitt December 23, 2017 10:20 AM GMT
Four years, and that's the best you can do? Wink
Report bearcub December 23, 2017 10:22 AM GMT
Horse and Squares dm'ed me to say that I was PROBABLY going to be named “FOTY,” like 2015, but I would have to agree to an interview and a major photo shoot. I said probably is no good and took a pass. Thanks anyway.

Well done Hems Cool
Report squares December 23, 2017 11:07 AM GMT
Sssssh Bear
Report mach December 23, 2017 11:16 AM GMT
Well done to a well deserved winner.
Report bearcub December 23, 2017 12:04 PM GMT
Yet another year it's passed you by mach Sad

The Jemma sidecar and Amir trains done you no favours tbf.

I'll have a quiet word with hems and see if we can't find a way of recognising your contributions next year.

Obviously it won't be the main award, but i think together me and hems could 'invent' a little something just for you.

It will probably be called Coty Plain
Report timbuctooth December 23, 2017 2:05 PM GMT
Yaaaay!!! Fantastic Christmas news! The right choice, the only choice, hemsby would have been a deserving winner in any previous year, delighted to see the title in its spiritual home. For me, his backing of Colleen at 50/1 pretty much sealed the deal in January, but he`s built success upon success, outstanding work, showing us all how to do it. Insightful, selfless, and well-researched year-long posts,, humourous and honest when the very occasional drawback occurred, just what our FOTY should be. Oh, and extremely profitable too!

All hail HEMSBY, FOTY 2017!!!
Report ahorsewithnoname December 23, 2017 3:07 PM GMT
You said it so much better than me in my opening post tim Blush
Report five leaves left December 23, 2017 8:22 PM GMT
Tom was robbed! but wd hems Cool
Report sofiakenny December 24, 2017 10:03 PM GMT
A most worthy winner and an honourable mention for the most excellent horse.
Report squares December 25, 2017 8:44 AM GMT
Don't forget the Christmas Speech
Report hemsby December 25, 2017 10:35 AM GMT
This FOTY malarkey seems to be a 365 24/7 undertaking Grin.....In the spirit of the Queens speech .......

On this day of celebration let us all take the opportunity to think about those less fortunate.The poor souls playing FBOT’s in High St bookies,the Anthony Joshua Top 3 1.01 SPOTY backers eating beans on toast instead of roast turkey and all the Xmas No:1 traders undone by a heinous act of treachery.

As I gaze at my bacon sandwich (White bread / brown sauce ) this morning sitting on my FOTY throne I recall a fantastic year of specials betting,Nowhere else on this planet have Coleen Nolan,Sarah Harding,Toff and Rak Su been lauded as much as on this forum.We make heroes and heroines out of hasbeens and nobodys.

2018 promises to be a year of constant opportunities (for anyone who can get a bet actually accepted!) .As I reign over the kingdom of specials betting I make a solemn promise to rule fairly,wisely and humbly.

Your cherished King.

hemsby.

PS ...Merry Christmas and a Happy New year everyone X
Report bearcub December 25, 2017 10:43 AM GMT
Brown sauce on bacon Cry
Report squares December 25, 2017 12:30 PM GMT
This is unbearable already - horse, we need to reconsider, we've created a monster.

He'll have us carting him around in a sedan chair feeding him grapes (toffees more likely) before long.
Report timbuctooth December 25, 2017 2:35 PM GMT
Having been accused of all sorts of things when I was FOTY, (mostly of the `FFS, tim, you`re taking it all far too seriously!` variety), I`m loving the `monster` attitude, showing (and demanding!) huge respect for the title. And, let`s not forget, hemsby was (self?) declared as a `benign dictator` when he inaugurated the award, so you knew what you were getting, joint-FOTYs 2016; no sympathy, BRING IT ON, hemsby!
Report squares January 1, 2018 7:27 AM GMT
Hemsby seems to have gone AWOL

Happy New Year everyone
Report Froggitt January 2, 2018 7:25 PM GMT
Hems is not taking it seriously squares. He was exactly the same when we elected him Master of the West Essex Hunt. As soon as he was fitted for the red jacket, he was no longer interested in watching dogs ripping foxes apart, he just sat in the bar tooting his trumpet, shouting "tally ho", and using his foam covered pro-cushion whip on the bird with the blonde hair who gives it away to anyone who buys her a large voddy and red bull.

I'd have given it to fiveloaves, even though a lifetime achievement award for being an amiable duffer over the years is probably more appropriate for him.

HNY to all.
Report robster January 2, 2018 8:43 PM GMT
think we should have an award for high street reality compiler of the year?! Grin
Report robster January 2, 2018 8:43 PM GMT
think we should have an award for high street reality compiler of the year?! Grin
Report mach January 2, 2018 8:51 PM GMT
The social media team from Ladbrokes deserves a special awardLaugh
Report Froggitt January 2, 2018 8:51 PM GMT
great idea robster. lets limit it though to compilers at those HS chains who don't restrict you to 1% after a couple of wins Wink
Report bearcub January 2, 2018 8:54 PM GMT
#Bitestongue
Report robster January 2, 2018 8:55 PM GMT
Yeah good point to be fair!! HNY everyone by the way!
Report robster January 2, 2018 8:55 PM GMT
Yeah good point to be fair!! HNY everyone by the way!
Report Froggitt January 2, 2018 8:58 PM GMT
HNY to you too robster
Report jollyswagman January 2, 2018 9:08 PM GMT
very well done to hemsby and happy new year all
Report timbuctooth January 2, 2018 9:10 PM GMT
Hey, robster; I only play on here, no HS accounts, so we`ve never spoken before, but I`d just like to say that I speak to a good number of forumites, each and every one declares you to be the best and most helpful compiler out there, so ignore the naughty knockers.
Report J.O.TOBIN. January 2, 2018 9:10 PM GMT
I will vote for you Rob only firm with the gonads to put up many events NTAs EMMY awards etc don't let the filthy arbers get you downCool
Report bearcub January 2, 2018 9:12 PM GMT
You just need to up the lousy £25 max in shop bets
Report bearcub January 2, 2018 9:12 PM GMT
You just need to up the lousy £25 max in shop bets
Report J.O.TOBIN. January 2, 2018 9:18 PM GMT
I always thought it was more than £25 novelties was £25 specials £50 stake or £250 lib
Report robster January 2, 2018 9:18 PM GMT
Its higher than £25 now Bearcub! You must just be in an unlucky shop!  You wait til it goes on those self service machines, arbers paradise!!
Report bearcub January 2, 2018 9:21 PM GMT
Maybe i'm confusing you with the Coral numpties

What is it then Rob?
Report J.O.TOBIN. January 2, 2018 9:22 PM GMT
Is it planned to go on to those terminals Rob Ive only ever seen Eurovision?
Report robster January 2, 2018 9:25 PM GMT
I think its £50 then its referred to either me or one of the other traders so you just stick my name down for that forumite of the year in 2018 and we'll come to a deal!!  Yes JOT hopefully the plan is to have Specials on the terminals by Eurovision. Will make everything from my point of view a hell of a lot easier when they are on there.  So many less referrals now from retail on cricket.
Report bearcub January 2, 2018 9:30 PM GMT
I'll put in a word to Hems Wink
Report J.O.TOBIN. January 2, 2018 9:31 PM GMT
Corals was always £25 BC Ladbrokes too before callover used to feckin annoy me, used to go and ask for £25 on 1/20  just for the lols.
Report bearcub January 2, 2018 9:35 PM GMT
Ladbrokes by me are a tenner max lol

Thankfully it's changed to a Betfred
Report five leaves left January 2, 2018 10:44 PM GMT
Ladbrokes by far the worst. £20 enough for them to cut the price or suspend it by the time you get to the next shop
Report bearcub January 2, 2018 10:52 PM GMT
Probably takes you 2 days to get to the next shop tbf
Report five leaves left January 2, 2018 10:55 PM GMT
pmsl
Report armagnac January 5, 2018 7:53 PM GMT
could not of gone to a better person, and long overdue..well done hems Love
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now