Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Jim Duncan
18 Dec 17 04:53
| Topic/replies: 79,489 | Blogger: Jim Duncan's blog
It's about time we had a Top 10 market in addition to a Top 3 market starting right now - the more requests Betfair receive requesting this, the more chance of us getting a Top 10 market.

Very well played 2017 Mo backers, backers of the Two Jonnies for Top 3 and AJ layers - best of luck in 2018!
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View *** SPOTY 2018 *** 'ALL ABOARD' -...
Show More
Report donny osmond December 19, 2017 6:07 PM GMT
jack butland saves dozens of pelanties as engerland win worls cup
Report mafeking December 19, 2017 10:34 PM GMT
elise christie must have a shout in what could be another very open year. know it's a unpredictable sport with seemingly a huge element of luck but she could pick up multiple golds if it it goes her way which would be unprecedented for a british winter olympian
Report johnnyrant December 20, 2017 10:17 AM GMT
2018 a really strong sporting year. Winter Olympics, Commonwealth Games, World Cup, Ryder Cup among the highlights.
Report Jim Duncan December 20, 2017 9:26 PM GMT
...yeah - thank you (finally) BetFair - my persistence has paid off - we now have a top 3 AND a Top 10 market to play :)
Report Jim Duncan December 20, 2017 9:35 PM GMT
...this has taken me several years of persistent asking :)
Report Jim Duncan December 20, 2017 9:45 PM GMT
I feel like Andy Daufresne from 'The Shawshank Redemption'!
Report timbuctooth January 6, 2018 2:05 AM GMT
Top 10 market gone? Messers G'n'T again, I presume?
Report sofiakenny February 10, 2018 11:20 AM GMT
Any mugs (apart from me) on Elize Christie?
Report hemsby February 10, 2018 3:13 PM GMT
Me too Kenny Grin

Would make a terrific story if she can win a gold after her 3 DQ’s four years ago.Looks to have real medal chances in all three events.On E/W @ 33/1.
Report sofiakenny February 10, 2018 4:36 PM GMT
great stuff hems..I'm more confident knowing a shrewdie is on.
Report JOMO February 13, 2018 11:05 AM GMT
I'm aboard the Elise Express too, gents. Got the last of 118's 33/1 this morning (win only - can see her dropping below 3/1 if she gets gold, so a nice green).

The back story is set up perfectly for her - and Beeb have hyping their little socks off this morning). Three bites at the cherry too, albeit the 500 presents her best chance on paper.
Report JOMO February 13, 2018 11:05 AM GMT
*have been hyping
Report JOMO February 13, 2018 1:10 PM GMT
Not to be today. How the Belgian lass actually came away with a medal after that SF and F I'll never know?!

The drama/crashing out/crying coverage ratchets up the tension/sympathy actually probably helps her spoty chances more than a silver or bronze would have done.

Hope she does actually come away with a medal for her own sake... she's (understandably) feeling this big time and don't think she could carry the weight of six Olympic "defeats" with her for another four years. Plain
Report sofiakenny February 13, 2018 1:27 PM GMT
Agree with that Jomo....perfect scenario would be is she crashes and burns in the 1500
but then against all odds wins gold in the 1000.
Report JOMO February 17, 2018 11:37 AM GMT
Well, she has indeed crashed, so the perfect scenario is set up. But that's provided she's not picked up a serious injury... Plain
Report sofiakenny February 17, 2018 12:51 PM GMT
I love it when a plan comes together(coutesy of D ick Dastardly)
Report Jim Duncan February 17, 2018 1:33 PM GMT
...the problem for Elise is that she has the following dilemma: skate and finish and maybe get a medal OR go for gold and risk another traumatic experience?
Report JOMO February 17, 2018 5:48 PM GMT
She strikes me as the sort who'll still go for gold, Jim. Doesn't seem like one to play percentages.

Meanwhile, Lizzy Yarnold becomes the first Brit to successfully defend a Winter Olympic title and drops to anything from 8/1 to 14/1 for spoty. The result's even got Betfair Spotsbook easing Kyle Edmund's 6/1 price. Laugh

I'm not sure what to make of Yarnold tbh. Today ticks some decent spoty-ripe achievement boxes but my gut instinct is that, even if Elise doesn't come away with a gold and LY gets the Olympic triumph story to herself, she won't win. She might have just triumphed, but the triumph-over-adversity levels are too low for my liking - both in terms of her upbringing and the immediate circumstances around her victory today.
Report timbuctooth February 17, 2018 8:03 PM GMT
The SPOTY market is made for laying these early-year flash in the pans; pretty much forgotten about by next week, with ensuing market drifts. Max red.
Report JOMO February 20, 2018 11:58 AM GMT
Well that's the end of the Elise Express (insert coming off the track puns here). Good value for the price right to the end.

Yarnold has come in a jiffy as a result but otherwise I'd agree jim her price is only going to drift over the next nine months.

Don't think there's anyone else on the immediate horizon to get on. Laura Muir looks to be in good form once again and, although she wouldn't stand a chance of winning, she'd have been an option to get a cheeky point on for trading purposes ahead of the World Indoors. However, she's apparently missing the Commonwealths in order to sit her Uni exams so I'll leave it. Can't see any other track or field athletes pulling off such a performance they'd be in with a sniff of spoty.
Report JOMO February 20, 2018 11:59 AM GMT
*agree tim, not jim.

(Though agree with everything you've said too jim Laugh)
Report donny osmond February 20, 2018 2:48 PM GMT
yeah, its almost back to sleep

rory at masters next alarm call for me, unless we get a female grand national winner
Report Hove_Park_Upper_School July 19, 2018 1:48 AM BST
What's people's thoughts on the current state of the 2018 SPOTY market and potential winner?

With the whole of the UK going football mad, way beyond anything any other sport can achieve, it's hard to look beyond Harry Kane or have I totally missed someone who can beat him realistically?
Winning the Golden Boot award was the icing on his cake & I can imagine this being prominently mentioned in the live show in December.
Report Hove_Park_Upper_School July 19, 2018 1:52 AM BST
What other big sporting events are still to come that could bring someone else into the frame?
There aren't any big olympic events to come in 2018 & no-one from darts, snooker, horse racing, golf, tennis or cricket seems to be worthy this year so far...
Report donny osmond July 19, 2018 6:51 PM BST
theres a welsh bloke leading tour de france

should imagine that would be good enough
Report razz July 20, 2018 9:40 AM BST
team sky. doubt he'd get that many votes.
Report razz July 20, 2018 9:41 AM BST
froome should be a good back to lay if he wins but haven't been watching this year. team sky could let thomas challenge froome instead of support him.
Report timbuctooth July 20, 2018 11:50 PM BST
Froome will never win SPOTY, far too tainted; an easy annual max red
Report Hove_Park_Upper_School July 21, 2018 11:45 PM BST
So should I be cheering for Geraint Thomas (first Welshman to win the race) or Chris Froome (Obviously I want to cheer the one with the least chance to win SPOTY) ?
Report Hove_Park_Upper_School July 22, 2018 3:59 AM BST
"Joshua this week announced his next world title defence against Alexander Povetkin at Wembley Stadium on September 22"
This is likely Joshua's only remaining match this year....if he won, would this be enough to give him any realistic chance of winning SPOTY?
Report razz July 23, 2018 6:16 AM BST
as opposed to all the other athletes that have been in contention...
Report razz July 23, 2018 6:17 AM BST

Jul 20, 2018 -- 5:50PM, timbuctooth wrote:

Froome will never win SPOTY, far too tainted; an easy annual max red

^^

but yeah he will never win despite most athletes using drugs. i usually just back him at the start of the tour and lay of after he wins.

Report razz July 23, 2018 6:21 AM BST

Jul 21, 2018 -- 9:59PM, Hove_Park_Upper_School wrote:

"Joshua this week announced his next world title defence against Alexander Povetkin at Wembley Stadium on September 22" This is likely Joshua's only remaining match this year....if he won, would this be enough to give him any realistic chance of winning SPOTY?

I got wrecked betting joshua last year. no chance a defence vs povetkin will put him in contention. that is not a big fight for casuals. if he couldn't even place top 3 last year after beating ****g klitschko who was one of the most dominant HW champions ever at the height of bad UK relations with russia in recent years, then he stands no chance this year if he beats some unheard of ukranian whilst ducking wilder..
max red for me. I want some of my money back joshua!

Report razz July 23, 2018 6:22 AM BST
does feel like kane is the logical choice here. lack of contenders this year is laughable. got stung badly last year but not gonna make that mistake again.
Report Hove_Park_Upper_School July 25, 2018 5:10 PM BST
Geraint Thomas has all but won the tour de france & has shortened into 6 at the time of this post, which seems very short indeed for someone that few people outside the cycle world will have heard of.
I can imagine a conversation "Who should win SPOTY, Harry Kane or Geraint Thomas?" with the reply from 9/10 being who is Geraint Thomas!
Report timbuctooth July 25, 2018 9:05 PM BST
He`s even money to be found guilty of doping long before SPOTY, FFS! Another mac red
Report Hove_Park_Upper_School July 25, 2018 10:11 PM BST
Why isn't Harry Kane in the region of 1.20 at this point?
I've had my biggest bet for over 5 years on him to win SPOTY & I'm now getting paranoid that I'm missing something obvious?
Report CLYDEBANK29 July 26, 2018 2:08 PM BST
"He`s even money to be found guilty of doping long before SPOTY, FFS! Another mac red"

Boxing being the most drug abused sport in the world, you are talking about Anthony Joshua tim? Povetkin AJ's next opponent has failed 2 drugs tests in the past 2 years, Lucas Browne has failed two too, Ortiz has failed one as has Dillian Whyte.  That's just the heavyweights I am aware of as a very casual boxing observer.

Then we've got Saul Alvarez, rated pound for pound the best boxer in the world.  He's had two or three failed tests and is still lined up to fight GG.   Even the Japanese have failed one in boxing and they are the cleanest nation in world sport.
Report timbuctooth July 26, 2018 7:18 PM BST
NO, CB, I was talking about Thomas! Only four or five of winners in the last 50 years have avoided some degree of drug scandal, so it`s long odds on that this one`s at it as well; for layers, it`s a case of `will he be rumbled before SPOTY?` Probably not, but certainly possible enough to erase fears of a max red.
Wasn`t aware of those boxing druggies, but I vaguely assume drug use is widespread and wholesale across the sporting world, so not surprised at all
Report donny osmond July 27, 2018 1:25 PM BST
added spice has thomas as a big fan of welsh rugby, and ....a gooner!

extra motivation for the latté drinkers to vote against kane !
Report mach July 27, 2018 7:08 PM BST
Has army been posting on your account? donny Devil
Report donny osmond July 27, 2018 7:20 PM BST
dont think so

just posting as i see it

not much doing until this twist in le tour

could have been a boring year, could still be if harry has good start to season and
does well in new euro comp

but at least we seem to have a race now
Report Biffo2010 July 31, 2018 1:22 AM BST
How in gods name is Mo Salah in the betting
Report SamH_123 August 5, 2018 6:57 PM BST
Georgia Hall needs to be added to the market

Mo Salah has been there for weeks hahaha, I remember they briefly added Padraig Harrington one year by mistake but he was quickly removed.  Salah has had quite a lot matched on him as well, what is going on there
Report ahorsewithnoname August 6, 2018 7:36 AM BST
Mo Salah was added to the market and had most of the money matched on him leading up to the Champions League final. He WOULD have been eligible to win...the BBC rules from last year:

MAIN AWARD
This award goes to the sportsperson whose actions have most captured the UK public's imagination during 2017.

An expert panel (hereafter 'the Panel') was convened in November 2017 to decide the shortlist of sportspeople for the main BBC Sports Personality of the Year award.

The BBC Sports Personality of the Year production team provided the Panel with an extensive list of the top sportspeople from 2017, including information on their achievements. The Panel were free to consider other potential candidates.

The Panel selected a short list of sportspeople for the main award on the basis of the following criteria:

Reflects UK sporting achievements on the national and/or international stage;
Represents the breadth and depth of UK sports; and
Takes into account 'impact' of the person's sporting achievement beyond the sport in question.
Sportspeople are eligible to be nominated for the main BBC Sports Personality of the Year award if they are UK citizens or all of the following criteria apply:

They play a significant amount of their sport in the UK; and
Their core achievements that year were achieved in the UK, and not with a non-UK based team (in which case they would more likely qualify for the Overseas award); and
They are residents in the UK.
Non-playing coaches or management are not eligible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4Z5SvK744sgV419kxgJG929/terms-and-conditions
Report SamH_123 August 6, 2018 10:17 PM BST
OK

Has a non British person ever been in the final 10/12 before?
Report bearcub August 6, 2018 10:32 PM BST
Barry McGuigan (IRL)  won

Frankie Dettori (ITA) 3rd
Report razz August 28, 2018 10:20 PM BST
Harry Kane having a good start to the season. his price around 3.0 now
Report VardonVoo. September 13, 2018 4:01 PM BST
*Bump (Now that CBB is Finnish).

Kane drifting as people forget Eng not winning the World Cup yet again.

Geraint Thomas shortening - still seems the obvious choice, seeing as he did actually win his event.

Alistair Cook coming in after a series win for Eng v India and retirement but I'm not sure that cricket is valued enough without an Ashes win . 20s was good value a day or two ago. Twice as expensive to back now though. May well drift when the focus is off again.
Report Jim Duncan September 13, 2018 6:33 PM BST

Aug 6, 2018 -- 4:17PM, SamH_123 wrote:

OKHas a non British person ever been in the final 10/12 before?

...and Barry Briggs (NZL) twice finished 2nd in 1964 and 1966.

Report Jim Duncan September 13, 2018 6:34 PM BST
I've just sent the following twitter DM to @ BetfairCS:

"Hi there - Please would you ask the Traders to add the following BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2018 markets to the BETFAIR EXCHANGE:

'Top Male', 'Top Female', 'Top 6', 'Top 10'

Any or all of these would be most welcome, preferably now, but if not when the shortlist is announced at the end of November. If only 1 could be added it would be the 'Top 10' market as there are always at least 10 nominees and usually at least 12 these days as the BBC look to recognise our diverse sporting talent and achievements - THANK YOU"

...chances are they won't add any of them, but like Andy Daufresne in Shawshank, I'll keep asking until they get fed up with my requests and finally oblige. The more of these types of requests they get the more chance off them actually adding any/some of them at some future point. TIA.
Report VardonVoo. September 14, 2018 6:46 AM BST
What's really irritating is when they decline but won't tell you why.
Report Hove_Park_Upper_School September 14, 2018 5:43 PM BST
I still think that the World Cup is much more memorable than any cycling event.

The whole nation seemingly watched every England match towards the end. Even the Loose Women were going on about it at the time & how exciting it was. That is a SPOTY winning comment by people who don't usually watch the footie. If I hadn't had so much on Kane already, I'd top up at a much bigger price.
Report CLYDEBANK29 September 14, 2018 8:34 PM BST
What price Menna Fitzpatrick for top 10?
Report razz September 15, 2018 3:47 AM BST
realistically how many people actually watched the tdf compared to the world cup...
Report donny osmond October 2, 2018 11:11 AM BST
great news for bbc insiders

The BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2018 contenders will be revealed on the night of the show for the first time.

Gary Lineker, Clare Balding and Gabby Logan will present the show - in its 65th year - live from Birmingham's Genting Arena on Sunday, 16 December.

The public will also decide the Greatest Sporting Moment of the Year, celebrating 2018's standout memory.

Young Sports Personality will this year be presented at the BBC Radio 1 Teen Awards on Sunday, 21 October.

The BBC Overseas Sports Personality of the Year award has been renamed World Sport Star of the Year and votes can also be cast from those living outside the UK for the first time.

Other awards set to be presented on the night include Lifetime Achievement, Team of the Year, Coach of the Year, the Helen Rollason award - which recognises an outstanding achievement in the face of adversity - and the BBC Get Inspired Unsung Hero award to honour the most dynamic, forward-thinking and driven volunteers from across the UK. Nominations are already open for this award.
Report donny osmond October 2, 2018 11:12 AM BST
The BBC Overseas Sports Personality of the Year award has been renamed World Sport Star of the Year and votes can also be cast from those living outside the UK for the first time.

need a market

and a without tiger woods market too....
Report donny osmond October 2, 2018 11:14 AM BST
Director of BBC Sport Barbara Slater said: "BBC Sports Personality of the Year is a much-loved BBC show that is constantly evolving. Bringing in these changes allows us to celebrate even further what has been an incredible year of sport whilst also paying tribute to the achievements of individuals.

"Announcing the much-anticipated shortlist at the start of the show will add even another layer of excitement to what is set to be a thrilling night for everyone."

This has been a memorable year for sport, with England's run to the semi-finals of the World Cup, Geraint Thomas storming to victory at the Tour de France, world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua's win over Joseph Parker, sprinter Dina Asher-Smith's gold medal haul at the European Championships and England's netballers revelling in their historic, golden moment at the Commonwealth Games.

With Lewis Hamilton vying for a fifth Formula 1 world title, England's highest Test run-scorer Alastair Cook ending his international career with a century, Lizzy Yarnold's successful defence of her Winter Olympic skeleton title and Europe's victory to regain the Ryder Cup from the United States, this year's awards could be the most competitive yet.

Fewer names will be in the running for the main award and, as always, the public will decide who is set to emulate 2017 winner Sir Mo Farah and walk away with the trophy.

Greatest Sporting Moment of the Year is a new award, with the public choosing an occasion from the past 12 months that captured the nation.

A choice of standout moments from the year will be decided by an independent panel of judges before the audience vote for their winner via the BBC Sport website in the weeks running up to the big night itself.

Similarly, the public will cast their votes for World Sport Star via the BBC Sport website to determine the winner from a list of six contenders.

Following Manchester City footballer Phil Foden's win in 2017, this year's Young Sports Personality winner will receive their award live on stage at Wembley Arena in front of a 10,000 strong crowd at the BBC Radio 1 Teen Awards.

The BBC Sports Personality of the Year show will take place in front of a live audience of 12,000, with millions more watching on BBC One from 19:00 GMT on 16 December.

Tickets go on sale at 09:00 BST on Friday, 12 October, priced at £45 plus admin fee.

Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult, minimum age 10 years. Tickets can be purchased online, or by phone on 0844 33 88 222 (calls cost 7p per minute plus your phone company's access charge).

For more information, please visit the Sports Personality page on the BBC Sport website.
Report donny osmond October 2, 2018 11:15 AM BST
Greatest Sporting Moment of the Year

need a market
Report mach October 2, 2018 11:49 AM BST
There looks like there will be enough opportunities for the England world cup effort to be recognised without Kane needing to win spoty, I'm less bullish now on his chances.
Report CLYDEBANK29 October 6, 2018 12:35 PM BST
With the changes and a smaller shortlist of 6-8 are there really any realistic nominees apart from the following?

Hamilton
Thomas
Kane
Joshua
Peaty
Yarnold
Asher-Smith
Menna Fitzpatrick

Only Tyson Fury left to achieve anything of significance and if he wins surely he's more llkely to be listed for the sporting moment award
Report bearcub October 6, 2018 12:46 PM BST
Cook
Report CLYDEBANK29 October 6, 2018 2:12 PM BST
I think Cook has very little chance of being nominated for the main award as the maximum men is surely 5 and all 5 of them have far better claims and it's possible there will be only 3.  If anyone was to shoehorn a place it would be a woman.  They can easily stick him in the moment category anyway along with Tyson, the netballers and the WC penalty shootout.
Report bearcub October 6, 2018 2:24 PM BST
Why does Kane have a better claim? His contribution, even though he got Golden Boot, was probably less than expected

While Cook end his career as Englands highest Test run scorer with a century.
Report CLYDEBANK29 October 6, 2018 2:28 PM BST
Asher Smith and Fitzpatrick don't really deserve to be shortlisted imo, especially if it's only a list of 6, but in this day an age, a leftist organisation, and a country gripped in PC fever they probably will.
Report CLYDEBANK29 October 6, 2018 2:38 PM BST
I think the public tuning in on the night will expect the chance to vote for an England footballer, which is obviously Kane.  It would be odd and deflating if they have no opportunity to show their appreciation of the England team.  If there was no obvious talisman its tricky, but he's the captain and the GB winner.  In terms of sporting magnitude the first WC semi in 28 years, far outweighs Cook scoring a century in his final innings.  He has had a good career but his form this year was poor.  I think it's much like Wayne Rooney breaking England's goalscoring record.

That said If there are only 3 men listed, it's possible Kane doesn't get listed either.  Even possible Thomas doesn't.  They've left out the TDF winner when they had 16 listed.
Report donny osmond October 7, 2018 11:46 AM BST
tai wolfenden won his 3rd speedway world title but little is heard of him.

hamilton, 5 world titles,  kane golden boot , thomas tour de france no drug rumours must be certs for the list, what
bbc want to do after that is a bit of a guess,

joshua is great but what has he done this year ? could be a big year for the heavies next year ....

tiger for overseas would be great moment for show ....

golden moment cooks century....
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now