Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
gobelins
30 Apr 18 22:00
| Topic/replies: 569 | Blogger: gobelins's blog
This is the tie of the round for me. B.Hawkins has struggled for most of the season primarily due to family reasons, but has found some form late in the season reaching the finals of the Welsh Open and China Open. Despite this upturn in form he continues to struggle for sustained fluency, and has been winning games unimpressively through hard match-play rather than with high breaks. He has also worryingly allowed lower ranked players to come back at him, after establishing commanding leads, and put him under real pressure. Thankfully, he has finished really strongly, and his Crucible record makes him a match for anyone, especially in the 2 table set-up. For Hawkins to win his control of the cue ball needs to be much tighter and he definitely needs to improve his long potting. In Ding he meets a player who looks at the very top of his game. His cueball control in his opening session against A.McGill must rank as one of his very best sessions of snooker he has ever produced in any tournament. He looks more relaxed than he has done for a while and there are many people who strongly fancy him to now go all the way. His last 2 attempts to win here were halted by M.Selby, and if Ding continues playing to his current standard he will be very difficult to stop. Ding is generally a 1/2 chance with Hawkins available at 15/8, and those prices look close to the money. I have Hawkins outright so no bet for me on this one.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View D.Jun Hui v B.Hawkins QF3
Show More
Report GRANTCKING May 1, 2018 2:29 AM BST
been a ding supporter/backer for years now, would really love to see him win the worlds finally, bazza a decent opponent, this match should go deep in the frames, 13-11 either way imo
Report GRANTCKING May 1, 2018 10:19 AM BST
nice opening frame from bazza
Report gjohn101 May 1, 2018 10:20 AM BST
Can remember a time not so long ago when that opening red by Barry wouldn’t have been on
Report GRANTCKING May 1, 2018 10:21 AM BST

May 1, 2018 -- 4:20AM, gjohn101 wrote:

Can remember a time not so long ago when that opening red by Barry wouldn’t have been on

agree, bucket said yes!

Report gjohn101 May 1, 2018 10:23 AM BST
Just the fact that he knew it would drop tells you all you need to know
Report GRANTCKING May 1, 2018 10:40 AM BST
feck me what a miss from ding
Report GRANTCKING May 1, 2018 11:22 AM BST
3-1 bazza at the interval
Report GRANTCKING May 1, 2018 11:22 AM BST
ding been poor so far
Report peckerdunne May 1, 2018 11:29 AM BST
MENTAL APTITUDE
Report GRANTCKING May 1, 2018 11:45 AM BST
3-2, nice from ding
Report GRANTCKING May 1, 2018 12:01 PM BST
4-2 bazza
Report peckerdunne May 1, 2018 12:09 PM BST
Is he rubbing the eyes yet.

Bound to be like a jockeys boll ox come tomorrow tonight Laugh
Report GRANTCKING May 1, 2018 12:11 PM BST
yikes, what a miss off the spot, ding in bad nick here
Report bobweenit May 1, 2018 12:21 PM BST
Ding needed that 1 Bazza could have pulled away
Report GRANTCKING May 1, 2018 12:36 PM BST
ding has played utter pish this session
Report DirkDiggler May 1, 2018 12:44 PM BST
Ding looked very nervy.
Report Blackrock May 1, 2018 12:59 PM BST
For Ding backers you know he cannot play any worse tonight than he did this morning.
Report thepunter May 1, 2018 2:22 PM BST
Surely Ding will improve. Both quarters this morning have been full of muggery. Barely 2-3 proper frames without big/silly errors in won position, gifts all over the place. Not even seen a proper safety battle from anyone. Hope the quality will improve this evening.
Report wisewords May 1, 2018 7:30 PM BST
The Hawk kicking Ding's head in. Get your money on the Hawk before it's too late
Report wondersobright May 1, 2018 7:33 PM BST
as soon as ding goes fav chokey choke
Report GRANTCKING May 1, 2018 7:35 PM BST
Cry my gut feeling was hawkins would win this but was hoping I was wrong
Report wondersobright May 1, 2018 7:39 PM BST
the little workhorse needs to get to work and quickly
Report wondersobright May 1, 2018 7:42 PM BST
fkin uselessCryCry
Report wondersobright May 1, 2018 7:47 PM BST
bazza battering the kitchen sink jeez
Report Latalomne May 1, 2018 7:47 PM BST
This could be over tonight the way Ding is playing!
Report wondersobright May 1, 2018 7:54 PM BST
tournament completely unravelling for me today sadly
Report SontaranStratagem May 1, 2018 7:54 PM BST
Ding could be Chinas answer to Jimmy White
Report SontaranStratagem May 1, 2018 7:59 PM BST
Cant even a ball at the minute. Literally!
Report SontaranStratagem May 1, 2018 8:00 PM BST
I want Ding to get through though, he'd be a great winner for the game.
Report wisewords May 1, 2018 8:01 PM BST
toughest QF to call for me is MJW v Captain. I give MJW the slight edge but I can't really back him with confidence
Report GRANTCKING May 1, 2018 8:01 PM BST
that one was the easiest one for me wise, I fancy williams strongly!
Report GRANTCKING May 1, 2018 8:02 PM BST
thoughest one for me was ding v hawkins but its turned into a rout LaughCry
Report GRANTCKING May 1, 2018 8:20 PM BST
come on ding ffs its bazza the hawk hawkins
Report thepunter May 1, 2018 8:22 PM BST
The hawk needs to split next mini session. 10-6 enough to get the job done tomorrow.
Report the stunning May 1, 2018 8:31 PM BST
JV is on tons I thinkLaugh
Report wondersobright May 1, 2018 8:37 PM BST
cueing better now
Report GRANTCKING May 1, 2018 8:37 PM BST
come on ding
Report GRANTCKING May 1, 2018 8:37 PM BST
wins the next frame and its game on
Report wondersobright May 1, 2018 8:38 PM BST
that was a ballsy plant to take on
Report wondersobright May 1, 2018 8:44 PM BST
bucket
Report wondersobright May 1, 2018 8:49 PM BST
another frame slips by for dung Sad
Report thepunter May 1, 2018 8:50 PM BST
Almost there for a guaranted lead. That would take alot pressure away.
Report BornToWin May 1, 2018 8:54 PM BST
These are my 2 runners, but I will get more when Bazza hacks up on May day.

Ding looking like a man carrying the hopes of billions, and he is buckling.

I'm out, he's over 30. I was never really in but I couldn't find anyone else for my 2nd bullet.
Report wondersobright May 1, 2018 8:57 PM BST
anyone but higgins & mjw would do me but ding/allen/kyren the best 3 results in that order what a fkin day todayCry
Report SontaranStratagem May 1, 2018 8:59 PM BST
Ding has the talent but his head goes far too easily. Same with Trump as well, when he's on he's fantastic, but the head goes and so does he.
Report wondersobright May 1, 2018 8:59 PM BST
BTW...with you on the over 30 thing

I always laugh at the tosh that gets spouted about players still being at their best up to their 40s lol

the late 20s is the prime imo, a view that few people seem to share but I gladly field against illogical reasoning
Report BornToWin May 1, 2018 9:07 PM BST
None of the Orientals can keep a lid on their emotions. Not a one out of how many have picked up a cue?

The peak should be 25-30 wonders, but with the great decline that appears to have gone up.

6 of the quarter finalists over 30, 2 of which over 40.
Report wondersobright May 1, 2018 9:10 PM BST
10-5 incoming and that'll be dung's race run for another year
Report wondersobright May 1, 2018 9:13 PM BST
BTW...still is 25-30 imo
not a chance in hell that people like ronnie, higgins, mjw etc are playing better than 10-15 years ago
the standard required to compete is lower with the massive bags & also the lack of talent coming through
none of the people like wilson, dudd etc will be better players in 10 years time!!
Report SontaranStratagem May 1, 2018 9:14 PM BST
Feel sorry for Ding, he's playing for a nation that has a billion people. Got to be massive pressure tbh.
Report wondersobright May 1, 2018 9:15 PM BST
lol what a sick bucket
Report Latalomne May 1, 2018 9:15 PM BST
And that shows you exactly how big they are
Report wondersobright May 1, 2018 9:15 PM BST
smash em in off the jaw with half a pocket available = no problemo
Report SontaranStratagem May 1, 2018 9:17 PM BST
Yeah its pretty filthy the pockets, what do you expect with a Hearn running the show though, all about the money and quick play, big breaks etc = bottoms on seats.
Report wondersobright May 1, 2018 9:24 PM BST
the tighter the pockets, the more skill is required

that means a smaller pool of players can win a conventional ranking event with proper length matches

unfortunately for hearn [and his bank balance] that pool of players aint global enough for him to "grow the game" [ie grow his bank balance]

but big bags and short frame matches and khazi playing conditions and a khazi schedule will help do that

and that's why we have what we have

and it aint changing as long as hearn calls the tune
Report BornToWin May 1, 2018 9:24 PM BST
Hearn I suppose is trying to appeal to the 'here and now' generation, who cares about ruining this once great spectacle.

Late night drama at the Crucible with 3 or 4 howling misses on the trot. "That's what pressure can do". Not now, get it in the neighbourhood of the jaws and it will be wolfed down.
Report wondersobright May 1, 2018 9:27 PM BST
BUCKET LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report SontaranStratagem May 1, 2018 9:27 PM BST
Best match I watched in this era was Dott V Ebdon (2006), that a great final for that BornToWin. Hearn wants to name and shame "slow players" as well, that's the society we live in sadly, its all an I want it now as wonder says, a khazi style.
Report BornToWin May 1, 2018 9:27 PM BST
Bucket century Baz
Report wondersobright May 1, 2018 9:27 PM BST
another absolute fkin khazi break that will be called a century
Report wondersobright May 1, 2018 9:28 PM BST
I bet if you sat and watched every century compiled in this event so far, at least half of them would have a pot in them that should not have dropped
Report peckerdunne May 1, 2018 9:28 PM BST
wtf  howz it goin in
Report thepunter May 1, 2018 9:29 PM BST
Great performance from the hawk. Sure Ding missed alot, still Barry took most of his chances and converted. He is getting stronger and stronger.
Report peckerdunne May 1, 2018 9:30 PM BST
ALWAYS A MELT
Report Latalomne May 1, 2018 9:30 PM BST
Ding and Allen have had brutal evening sessions.
Report SabineIsGOAT May 1, 2018 9:30 PM BST
Hawkins has been ridiculously consistent at the crucible for the last 5 years now, wonder if he could actually win it

Would be a more fitting winner than Bingham still
Report gjohn101 May 1, 2018 9:35 PM BST
It’s such a crazy market now. Hawkins would be my favorite now. Take a good one to bring him down I reckon.
Report wondersobright May 1, 2018 9:39 PM BST
I would gladly lay 4/1 about any player in the outright market right now
Report Latalomne May 1, 2018 9:39 PM BST
Had I not seen how he crumbled in the final in China against Selby, tournament before this, I could possibly agree.  He's still got it all to prove for me.
Report gjohn101 May 1, 2018 9:39 PM BST
Ronnie still doesn’t fancy Hawk
Report thegiggilo May 1, 2018 10:09 PM BST
Ding was dung the score could've been the other way round,embarassing stuff same old bottklers battling it out..
Report gjohn101 May 2, 2018 9:06 AM BST
Gobe, your judgement going to be vindicated here. Same old ding it seems. Both Ronnie and Selby filleted him last night and though there was more than a hint of pot and kettle about Ronnie’s criticisms, hard to disagree with much of it too

Though I fancied ding I never thought he was any kind of certainty to beat Barry. Thought it was odd that Barry was either 6th or 7th fav before the q/f got under way. That was way off and he was overpriced, whether he won or lost.
Report BornToWin May 2, 2018 9:39 AM BST
Ronnie is above criticism. Even given his ridiculous shot choices, particularly when losing position.

He would have won more worlds I am certain had he maintained the Ray Reardon approach.

Bazza to me is now a weak favourite for the event, given he could piss himself at any moment. Could even see a mini choke this morning if the good Ding shows up.
Report thegiggilo May 2, 2018 10:10 AM BST
O'sullivan chokes it most years one of the worst for it,anypne puts it up to him he does't like it..As for ding,don't think he's even bothered got a great life over here unless he plays well he just can't be bothered to put any effort it..
Report gjohn101 May 2, 2018 10:27 AM BST
I thought it was Selbys assessment that was the most damning. He clearly doesn’t rate and has no respect for ding as a competitor. Little bit chilling to learn just how lowly they rate him.
Report BornToWin May 2, 2018 10:34 AM BST
Selby has a lot more to offer as a pundit than Ronnie.
Report peckerdunne May 2, 2018 10:36 AM BST
I told everyone years ago and was slaughtered at the time.

M E L T
Report Blackrock May 2, 2018 10:38 AM BST
What did Selby say about Ding? Can't believe Ding has played like a club player. Not down to lack of bottle imo , just down to very very poor play.
Report peckerdunne May 2, 2018 10:41 AM BST
He said Ding is far too fond of a Cumberland with Yorkshire pudd....
Report wondersobright May 2, 2018 10:43 AM BST
Laugh
Report crepello May 2, 2018 10:52 AM BST
gobelins - well done to you and Barry - he is in good nick and we all know this is a winnable event - less said about Ding the better - good luck for the rest of the tournament ......
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now