Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
gobelins
06 Dec 17 23:43
| Topic/replies: 58,656 | Blogger: gobelins's blog
This once revered tournament has been played since 1977, and surely there's never been a worse renewal. But, why?

A) The standard is so much better than it has ever been which means the lower ranked players can consistently beat the top seeds on their day.

B) It's just a freak year, which comes along every now and then, and this is one of those years.

C) The tournament is now, unfortunately, just like any other tournament which pays no respect to its rich history and traditional standing in the snooker calendar. Instead, it is merely sandwiched between numerous nondescript events which have already been forgotten, ensuring no rest for the players and a standard which is depressingly poor (despite the age-old, red-herring, reference to the amount of centuries scored).

The unfortunate thing is that if R.O'Sullivan plays S.Murphy in the final we'll be told by Hearn and the BBC 'experts' that despite all the shocks the cream always rises to the top in this event.

Roll on...The Masters.
Share |
Pause Switch to Standard View The worst UK championship in history
Show More
Report wondersobright December 7, 2017 12:38 AM GMT
gobelins

the standard is as low as I have known it in years

the pockets are a total abomination - no other word to describe them

the result is the standard required to pot balls, and hence make breaks, and hence win frames is LESS than if the pockets were set up properly, and the result is that relative mugs can compete with better players, particularly in a short match format (which is nearly every tournament)

saw the king v higgins match today
a match of p1ss poor standard, I lost count of the number of balls that king potted off the wide open flaps
and as for higgins, the less said about him the better
Report wondersobright December 7, 2017 12:43 AM GMT
I think if you asked 100 snooker fans, at least 90 would say the game has gone backwards under hearn

there are only 2 sets of people who have benefited imo...

1. the nobodys of the professional snooker player ranks, who are now getting a borderline living from being bang average at best and exposure and spotlight that they absolutely do not merit
2. hearn and his cronies pocketing the asian money as the asian interest in the game grows with much more (mostly bang average) asian players at tournaments nowadays
Report wondersobright December 7, 2017 12:45 AM GMT
the UK championship has long been considered 1 of the 3 majors, the triple crown, alongside the masters and the worlds

I'm afraid the UK championship in its present guise is a shadow of its former self, in fact I'd go as far as to say its fkin criminal how its been dismantled and downgraded to what it is today compared to years ago Sad rant over
Report thegiggilo December 7, 2017 2:13 AM GMT
Dreadful stuff,stopped watching it once the better players went out,going to be a love in with parrott and davis constantly talking about o'sullivan vomit inducing,beating up a load of bottling mugs..
Report wondersobright December 7, 2017 6:45 PM GMT
Shaun Murphy says being only one of two remaining seeds in this year's UK Championship is no surprise given the strength in depth on tour.
Murphy, 35, was a comfortable 6-1 winner over Ricky Walden in the fourth round to ensure he and Ronnie O'Sullivan are the only two seeds still involved.
The 2008 champion, who plays Mark King in the quarter-finals on Friday evening, said: "It doesn't get any easier.
"Everything is so good. The younger and lower-ranked players are all great snooker players as well. The shocks don't shock me.

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh pmsl!!!!!!!!!! barry will be pleased
Report BornToWin December 7, 2017 8:49 PM GMT
In 10 years (maybe less) we will have mainly bang average Asians at the business end of tournaments.

The biggest disappointment is of course Judd, who could have been ruler of this game now and for many years. He decided to pi$$ it away with his juvenile attitude.
Report The Bhoys December 7, 2017 9:00 PM GMT
How can the pockets be bigger than they were 10 years ago? I dont understand
Report wondersobright December 7, 2017 9:19 PM GMT
they're not bigger, they are just set up to play wider...less "cloth" around the jaws and on the lip of the pockets means reduced amounts of friction, so balls slide in off jaws like they never used to
Report wondersobright December 7, 2017 9:24 PM GMT
you will not hear this from world snooker or any of the puppet controlled BBC pundits

speaking out about table tampering to level the playing field between players at the top and at the bottom is against the overall money making asian expansion formula that bazza and his crew are coining
Report wondersobright December 7, 2017 9:30 PM GMT
in order to sustain asian interest in the game and thus feed the bank balances of world snooker, there needs to be asian players making the latter stages of ranking events regularly and winning them more than they have been

well there is only ding and arguably liang and yan bingtao in time capable of meeting a true top 16 standard imo

so another way of achieving their objective is to mess around with the pockets, shorten the matches, have flat 128, remove seeding protection
make every tournament a guess up
Report wondersobright December 7, 2017 9:31 PM GMT
fu as well actually
Report wondersobright December 7, 2017 9:35 PM GMT
I'm sure if you asked hearn completely off the record of course, he'd admit the current situation is wall to wall dross and little in the way of entertainment value, a small price to pay for a treasure chest of yuan
Report Latalomne December 8, 2017 1:09 PM GMT
I can hear you vomiting from here at this Barry interview, Wonder!  Laugh
Report wondersobright December 8, 2017 2:26 PM GMT
been out lata missed it sadly
Report Latalomne December 8, 2017 2:27 PM GMT
I'm sure they'll play it again later!  All the cliches were rolled out.
Report wondersobright December 8, 2017 2:40 PM GMT
let me guess, game never been in better health, standard never been higher, more tournaments than ever before, more money than ever before, not interested in players moaning etc etc

Laugh
Report Latalomne December 8, 2017 2:45 PM GMT
I thought you said you'd missed it?!?   :D
Report Latalomne December 8, 2017 2:46 PM GMT
4-0 and 4-0 at the mid-session interval....  TBF, Perry probably should have been 3-0 up himself....
Report wondersobright December 8, 2017 2:57 PM GMT
haha, he's given that interview 10 times over since he took over the reigns at world snooker
Report wondersobright December 8, 2017 2:58 PM GMT
*reins

aye 1 sided quarter finals so far
Report thepunter December 8, 2017 3:45 PM GMT
Seriously, does maguire have a brain ? since 5-0 up, he simply sets up the clearance for joe, stupid shot after stupid shot.
Report The Bhoys December 8, 2017 6:31 PM GMT
someone should ask 1 of the bbc pundits on twitter what u said about the pockets to see there response
Report wondersobright December 8, 2017 7:39 PM GMT
you've only got to use your own eyes and watch frames of snooker today compared to 10+ years ago

that black from king a few shots ago into the right corner a classic example, there is barely a table in the land where that ball would have been potted flush off the jaw at pace
Report wondersobright December 8, 2017 7:43 PM GMT
and that red he's just played with the rest, off the jaw at pace again

you just don't have to be as accurate as you had to be years ago when the tournament tables had respectability
Report The Bhoys December 8, 2017 8:18 PM GMT
totally agree about some of the shots they really shudnt be going in, suppose the same cud be said for darts the wires are alot thinner than they once were, yes the standard has risen but the wires dont allow as many bounce outs now
Report gobelins December 8, 2017 8:40 PM GMT
J.Parrott was banging on earlier about having to pay the rails respect. But, I'd have asked him: "Why wouldn't the players pay them respect?" They're not meant to be easy to pot when they are close to a cushion, but the fact he felt the need to say it suggests he accepts how easy the tables are playing.

For some reason he always seems to be defend the tables and the cut of the pockets. And, on the odd occasion a ball hits the near jaw and stays out, he jumps up and tells us that that shot would have gone in on your local club table.
Report wondersobright December 8, 2017 8:59 PM GMT
yep gobelins, and the comms always say "how did that not drop, these pockets are tight" Laugh

the pockets are just there to be abused quite frankly, respecting the pockets is a view that is well past its sell by date & something that was valid in parrott's playing days

bhoys...you have a point about the wires in darts but also you are also right to say the standard has risen (PDC)
the same cannot be said for snooker
Report The Bhoys December 10, 2017 3:50 PM GMT
is tough says nope hes missed and it slides in Another example of a shot that should not have dropped, murphy on the final back to go 4-4, hendry says this is tough and he called a miss and it hit the knuckle and slid in Cry
Report hfink December 10, 2017 3:54 PM GMT
^just commented on the same thing on the other thread, The Bhoys. I see what people are saying about the more generous pockets now. Even Hendry thought it was out.
Report The Bhoys December 10, 2017 4:08 PM GMT
yea there was another shot i may have mis heard but im near sure hendry said that wudt have went in in my day
Report stu December 10, 2017 4:34 PM GMT
I've never quite got why bigger pockets actually make that much difference (if they are 'bigger') - surely then they're bigger for everyone - sure I've seen plenty misses watching the game still?
Report cricketnut2 December 10, 2017 6:54 PM GMT
In the old days, with the tight pocket the balls only went in, if they were in or close to the centre of the pocket. These days the ball drops even when it looks like they've missed. However, the players get more plants and make plants that aren't even together.
Report The Bhoys December 10, 2017 7:12 PM GMT
even the in offs have increased its like 9 ball pool sometimes
Report The Bhoys December 10, 2017 8:10 PM GMT
seen a shot there hendry potted years ago that was very simalar to the shots we are discussing now, rattled of the jaws a few times at pace
Report wondersobright December 10, 2017 9:01 PM GMT

Dec 10, 2017 -- 10:34AM, stu wrote:

I've never quite got why bigger pockets actually make that much difference (if they are 'bigger') - surely then they're bigger for everyone - sure I've seen plenty misses watching the game still?

think about it

if they play "bigger" for everyone, then less skilled players are less disadvantaged

its a huge leveller

bit like saying a dodgy pitch in the old days of the FA cup was the same for both sides, yes true, but the lesser team is less disadvantaged by playing on a dodgy pitch than the better team is

Report The Bhoys December 10, 2017 9:03 PM GMT
when u see u mugs like mark king winning titles u have to wonder
Report wondersobright December 10, 2017 9:08 PM GMT
correct
Report BornToWin December 10, 2017 9:12 PM GMT
If the pockets are easy the lesser players get away with ones that would have missed. The better players miss less so get away with less hence levelling the playing field.

I think Laugh
Report gobelins December 10, 2017 9:20 PM GMT
In the end R.O'Sullivan wins so there is a positive, feel-good, end to the tournament, but don't celebrate too much Ronnie - The Scottish Open starts tomorrow morning. Although, be thankful - they've scheduled your Last 128 match for Tuesday, so at least you don't have to leave for an airport tonight!
Report wondersobright December 10, 2017 9:21 PM GMT
that's it BTW

I've heard augusta are going to heavily water the greens and fairways for the masters next year
and the holes are going to be a foot wide, not 4.25 inches

to level the playing field a bit so the mugs have more chance
Report stu December 12, 2017 12:16 PM GMT
Ok, can partially agree with the 'levelling idea', though not entirely - playing footie on a muddy field doesn't exactly match, because a lower down team relies less on skill, passing etc - all snooker players rely on potting/safety.

And I'd still repeat, sure I've seen plenty players missing shots - the GOAT himself Ronnie missed plenty sitters in this tourny itself - it almost got him booted out against that asian lad!
Report stu December 12, 2017 12:58 PM GMT
Funny little point by Ronnie just there in an interview - he said few years ago felt like he'd clear up every visit, and now feels he's lacking that. Wouldn't much easier pockets make him (the GOAT) find it all easier these days, especially for very much a 'potter' of a player...?
Report wondersobright December 12, 2017 4:53 PM GMT
he said few years ago felt like he'd clear up every visit, and now feels he's lacking that
that's because ronnie is 42 and firmly on the wrong side of the aging curve for professional sport

the likes of ronnie, higgins, williams etc are not playing better than they were 10-20 years ago

I think the easier pockets have kept them in the game quite frankly

they were brought up on tables with tight pockets and graduated to the top through high levels of skill in potting, break building, safety etc

this is not happening with the young players that are coming through today as the standard required to pot balls, make breaks and win frames is less than what it was in hendry's time

And I'd still repeat, sure I've seen plenty players missing shots
of course, the standard is low that's why

the generous pockets to some extent mask the poor standard

half the tour couldn't make a 50 break on a proper table imo
Report thegiggilo December 12, 2017 10:28 PM GMT
The ease of the pockets has kept Higgins and o'sullivan in the game,if you look back a couple of seasons their long potting had gone as it should at their age,it's easily proved you've had mark king and the sheriff winning tournaments mark Williams who's playing at around 20% of his best.There's only one proper player at the moment and that's Selby,these bags are against him as well
and yet he's dominating the game maybe not this season but will still be number 1 and maybe still number one even in two years time..By the way the GOAT is Hendry by a mile...
Report stu December 13, 2017 12:39 PM GMT
Love Hendry too must admit, was just using the GOAT tag to make the point about potentially the greatest player struggling to hit pots (into easy pockets apparently).

There is something of a contradiction in the views above here - if the big pockets are helping the old-schoolers stay in the game, then how is it also 'levelling the pitch'?

Surely that would go against the old-schoolers?
Report wondersobright December 13, 2017 1:37 PM GMT
there's no contraction in views, you are just not understanding the argument being put forward

the standard at the 128 end of the rankings is p1ss poor so easier pockets, more best of 7s etc levels the playing field
and the old guard have been kept in the game with the easier pockets offsetting their declining ability

understand?

snooker has changed a lot in the last decade (especially last few years), tournaments used to be tougher to win as the pockets were tougher and more people were capable of producing better quality snooker imo

now the hardest thing about snooker is the mental side...including but not limited to: the schedule, the travelling, the lack of practice time, fighting to get on the practice table, playing to 1 man and his dog in sports halls etc etc
Report wondersobright December 13, 2017 1:40 PM GMT

Dec 12, 2017 -- 4:28PM, thegiggilo wrote:

The ease of the pockets has kept Higgins and o'sullivan in the game,if you look back a couple of seasons their long potting had gone as it should at their age,it's easily proved you've had mark king and the sheriff winning tournaments mark Williams who's playing at around 20% of his best.There's only one proper player at the moment and that's Selby,these bags are against him as well and yet he's dominating the game maybe not this season but will still be number 1 and maybe still number one even in two years time..By the way the GOAT is Hendry by a mile...

good post

Report moondan December 13, 2017 2:30 PM GMT
Anyone who has been an avid fan of the game knows exactly how much easier the balls are entering the pockets and with Hearn and Davis spear heading the con it will get progressively easier.

From a purely personal point of view I find it difficult to watch and while I do tune in for the odd hour or so its never long before I lose interest and look for a more honest sport to watch..

I have spent decades watching this once beautiful game and its with greaT sadness to see the likes of Hearn and Davis show it such contempt.
Report thegiggilo December 13, 2017 6:04 PM GMT
It's the first time I havn't watched the uk from the quarters onwards what was the point,was only ever going to be one result,if it wasn't for Selby we would be left with a load of snow flake players and o'sullivan Higgins etc winning nearly every tournament that cannot possibly be right at their ages..
It's the first time I havn't watched the uk from the quarters onwards what was the point,was only ever going to be one result,if it wasn't for Selby we would be left with a load of snow flake players and o'sullivan Higgins etc winning nearly every tournament that cannot possibly be right at their ages..
Report stu December 17, 2017 11:01 PM GMT
moondan 13 Dec 17 14:30 Joined: 18 Nov 10 | Topic/replies: 3,022 | Blogger: moondan's blog
Anyone who has been an avid fan of the game knows exactly how much easier the balls are entering the pockets

Maybe need to tell that to chow, missing that black for the title there Laugh
Report peckerdunne December 18, 2017 10:03 PM GMT
Just can't be bothered...................snooker is dead, said it 5 years ago.
Report thegiggilo April 21, 2018 1:17 AM BST
moondan
13 Dec 17 14:30
Joined: 18 Nov 10 | Topic/replies: 3,022 | Blogger: moondan's blog
Anyone who has been an avid fan of the game knows exactly how much easier the balls are entering the pockets and with Hearn and Davis spear heading the con it will get progressively easier.

From a purely personal point of view I find it difficult to watch and while I do tune in for the odd hour or so its never long before I lose interest and look for a more honest sport to watch..

I have spent decades watching this once beautiful game and its with greaT sadness to see the likes of Hearn and Davis show it such contempt

His last post..Shocked
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com

New to Betfair?

You need to open an account before you can add content to the forum.

Opening an account only takes a few minutes.

register now